Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-23, 21:17   Link #1
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
Special, deep relationships with few words and lots of understanding

Hi. Here I am, looking for some special romantic stuff. Or not.

It depends on if you consider Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu romantic or not. The thing is: I do. A lot. And from the beginning. I believe it's the main appeal (for me, of course) of the series.

The thing is, I'm looking for this kind of thing. Weird "love", love that escapes the "I want to declare my love with this love chocolate on St. Valentine! *pictures herself getting married with her*". And stupid guy doesn't care. Or the other way around. Or whatever.

Special love. Which is more of a transcendental relationship, meaningful, where the love is unspoken and just felt.

Yeah, I know SHnY is unique. I do. But there are other weird and very meaningful relationships out there. Think FLCL.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo just came to mind.

Anyway, I know it's a shot in the dark. But who knows.

So anime, licensed or unlicensed. Or whatever, if you come up with some movie/book, do say.

I just love so much unspoken, mutual understanding and deep appreciation and recognition of the other. On relaxed relationships.

Thanks for reading me
Old 2007-07-23, 21:32   Link #2
jedinat

Maria-sama ga Miteru/Haru/3rd - it's shoujo-ai though ^^;
Old 2007-07-23, 21:57   Link #3
DanielSong39

To Heart
Lamune

Among dating sims you really can't do any better. The romance in To Heart is really understated, and it's never stated as to whether the lead male and female are a couple. As for Lamune - Kenji proves to be a real sweetheart; when Nanami asked for a kiss (and possibly more) as a way to confirm their relationship, he instead took her into his arms and held her tight...

I also liked the romance in Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow; even when a rift develops between them, no apologies or explanations are ever needed between the two, as the passage of time heals all wounds...

The romance in Canvas 2 ~ Niji Iro no sketch could also fall in this category, depending on which girl you're rooting for.
Old 2007-07-23, 22:58   Link #4
andromeda0201

I second Lamune
Also the relationship of Jinto and Lafiel in the crest of the stars, banner of the stars series, you can tell they care deeply for each other, even though they don't say it
Old 2007-07-23, 23:49   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
How about Kanon 2? There isn't a lot of words there definitely, mostly memories and scenes.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo fits your description almost perfectly. Actually there are lots of talking (mostly monologues) but nothing really about the relationship itself. They're both movies. Spirited Away might count too if you're really into it.

Cardcaptor Sakura has cute, innocent relationships that are mostly about understanding and symbolisms. In fact, the main plot of the third season is character development.

REC is a really interesting anime that uses the motif of success and failure to drive romance and life. It's short and very well-paced.

Those are the anime I can think of that doesn't start off being romance but somehow, through character development, the main characters grow fond of each other and understands their feelings with lots less shouting than other anime.
Old 2007-07-24, 06:13   Link #6
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Watched: Lamune, Toki wo, Kanon, Rec, Spirited Away, Marimite, The Place Promised in our Early Days.

So I guess I'll give To Heart a try, which I have somewhere around here... I'll check the other ones when I come back, I must be going now.

Thanks a lot
Old 2007-07-24, 06:17   Link #7
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Special love. Which is more of a transcendental relationship, meaningful, where the love is unspoken and just felt.
"Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you
It's not that I want you
Not to say, but if you only knew
How easy it would be to show me how you feel
More than words is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
Cos I'd already know"
-More Than Words by Extreme

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
Kenshin was a man of a few words and Tomoe wasn't your typical talkative female either. Perhaps one of the reasons for the OAV's enduring appeal is that their relationship is shown not only through what they say but more importantly what they do for each other.

Voices of a Distant Star
A boy and a girl are separated by fate and their budding relationship is put to the test.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-07-24 at 06:39.
Old 2007-07-24, 06:22   Link #8
theDarkHorse
at what speed must i live

Seeing as Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in our Early Days have both been recommended already, I thought "stuff it, put in 5 Centimeters per Second as well". Makoto Shinkai seems to do a lot of this stuff. =D

My other recommendation might sound way out left field; but Porco Rosso also has those special, deep relationships as well.
Old 2007-07-24, 06:26   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
Watched: Lamune, Toki wo, Kanon, Rec, Spirited Away, Marimite, The Place Promised in our Early Days.

So I guess I'll give To Heart a try, which I have somewhere around here... I'll check the other ones when I come back, I must be going now.

Thanks a lot
Well I'm glad to see that my suggestions are right on track with your request then. That makes me surprisingly happy actually.
Old 2007-07-24, 18:44   Link #10
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Okay, I just came back (long day, eh) so let me elaborate a little more:

Card Captor Sakura just doesn't appeal to me at all I know its sort of a classic, but it just doesn't appeal to me. (So yeah, every other show you mentioned, KholdStare, I had seen and liked; and the one I haven't seen doesn't appeal to me But yeah, you were on the right track!)

Seen Hoshi no Koe (it was a'right) and Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko (BEAUTIFUL. One of the best 5 minutes I have seen in my life. Forgot to mention it on the first post.) I'm waiting for 5 centimeters per second to be completed in order to watch it.

Nice lyrics there, G.Zeus So, Kenshin OVAs. Now I have another reason to get them. I will, then

Porco Rosso! BEAUTIFUL movie. Really really good movie and you are perfectly right on mentioning it. Fio's relationship with Porco Rosso perfectly fits what I've (tried to) describe. I shouldn't have used the word "romance" at all on the first post.

Thank you everyone And don't be afraid to keep recommending.

PS: Oh, and Daniel, could you elaborate on Gift?

Last edited by bruno321; 2007-07-24 at 19:15.
Old 2007-07-24, 19:19   Link #11
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Well, this concept of deep meaningful unspoken love got me interested as well, but sadly I already know almost every show mentioned here.

What I might add is:

Last Exile: Its the story of 2 young pilots (male and female) whos parents both died/got lost in the "great stream" and now they live together and share a commen goal; to fly through that grand steam and find out what happened to their parents this way. They got a deep understanding of each other and share deep trust.

Rahxephon: Its about a love that transcends time and space. Telling you exactly what that means exactly would maybe even spoil to much of this great story.
So:
Spoiler for mild spoiler:

Not sure if you seen those already, and its very hard for me to think of any other shows that would fit...other than the yet unaired sequels of already recommended shows:
Suzumiya haruhi second season is officially announced, but no airing date yet.
And maria-sama ga miteru is getting a forth season.
so there you go if you just wait for a few month or a year or so.
Old 2007-07-24, 19:54   Link #12
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Last Exile... There's something about the art which just doesn't quite click for me. But I've seen it recommended for other reasons which interest me too, so I might then just give it a try. I don't know when, though: if To Heart and Samurai X's OVAs are on the list (as well as other shows which interest me for different reasons), then I may as well watch it on 2009 But do know that I will consider it

Rahxephon: I've seen it mentioned as an Evangelion rip-off, so that quite threw me back. Also, I have Escaflowne on my mecha to-see list...

Marimite: Watched season 1 and 2. I am waiting for the last episode of season 3, so I can watch all the ovas together, or almost. But hey, yes, Marimite (especially season 2) was very special. Perhaps not the "special" I'm referring to on this thread (after all, I recall quite a few embarrassing attitudes from Yumi about her relationship with... whatever was her name)

And yeah, I'm also aware of SHnY's second season. Damn sure I'll watch it.

PS: What Samurai X OVAs should I see? I see there are two "series": 4 ovas which are Trust & Betrayal, and 2 which are Reflection. Are the "interesting ones" Trust & Betrayal, as I seem to recall?
Old 2007-07-24, 21:39   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is one of the best damn thing I've seen in my life and it's in my signature for a top ten favorite. Reflections is basically a rushed Revenge Arc that people don't seem to like. I've never personally seen it, because I took others' advice that it really sucks. I still advice that you should see Rurouni Kenshin up to episode 63 (if you haven't set) before you see the OVAs since it might cause some confusion.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2007-07-25 at 00:15.
Old 2007-07-25, 00:07   Link #14
gaguri

Yes, watch Trust and Betrayal, not Reflections.

And I'm going to second Seikai Series (Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II). Seems to be the type of relationship you're looking for. The two main characters have that subtle attraction towards each other, but never spoken. That's the beauty of their relationship, they never need to say 'i love you' or 'you're special', they can feel it and you can too. Although Seikai Series is dialogue heavy, there is also fair amount of unspoken dialogues between characters that we can hear. And that makes up for one charming and beautiful relationship to watch, which a very few anime can do.
Old 2007-07-25, 12:55   Link #15
DanielSong39

Gift ~ Eternal rainbow is a dating sim conversion that can be considered a D.C. ~ Da Capo spinoff. The plot revolves around an eternal rainbow in the sky that can grant magical "Gifts" when two people's wishes match.

The primary relationship in this show revolves around Haruhiko and his non-blood-related sibling Riko... by episode 3 you get a good picture of their relationship. Little awkwardness to speak of, as they are completely compatible and comfortable with each other.
Closed Thread