AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-07-31, 19:29   Link #481
Moogster

I don't understand. How can you guys say that Takaki's motivation for moving on can't be Akari? And after having that final scene still he hasn't move on?

(I'm not quite good at this stuff, forgive me for needing some explanations.. )

If I think about it differently to coincide with what you guys are saying, his final smile could mean that

"I thought I saw someone I knew, that was close to me, but it couldn't possibly be her"

Of course I'm just guessing.. If what you guys say is true.. Man that's not bittersweet.. That's just plain bitter..

Last edited by Moogster; 2007-07-31 at 19:49.
Moogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 20:16   Link #482
RahX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
[SPOILER="Mail"]
Spoiler for For who stopped mailing (letters):
Spoiler for Response...:
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 22:58   Link #483
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Argh, I just finish typing up a long reply and computer freezes...

Yeah, you and Liingo were right. I must have still been half asleep when I typed that

Spoiler for Sequence of events in the third part of the movie and the ending.:

Edit
Damn, you edited before I could re-type everything. I guess you figured things out too then

Well, ordered the limited edition with Play-Asia. I should have ordered it on Yesasia while it was still available... Hope customs don't charge me for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobabel View Post
Spoiler for Crosscutting:

Spoiler for Timeline II:
Good luck with your DVD
Spoiler for Response to lobabel and xcomp's timelines:

Quote:
Spoiler for Takaki in 5cm and the theme:

Good luck on your DVD!
Spoiler for Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogster View Post
I don't understand. How can you guys say that Takaki's motivation for moving on can't be Akari? And after having that final scene still he hasn't move on?

If I think about it differently to coincide with what you guys are saying, his final smile could mean that

"I thought I saw someone I knew, that was close to me, but it couldn't possibly be her"

Of course I'm just guessing.. If what you guys say is true.. Man that's not bittersweet.. That's just plain bitter..
Spoiler for response:

Yeah, alot of us feel the same way with it being more on the bitter side..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahX View Post
Spoiler for Response...:
Ahh thanks, I can actually see it (I think) now. It took me a while to notice it.
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 02:21   Link #484
coleslaw

Quote:

Spoiler for Response:

Yeah, alot of us feel the same way with it being more on the bitter side..
Just playing devil's advocate on a fact in 5cm
Spoiler for Response:

Looking back it's bitter, but alternative is even more bitter...
Spoiler for ending:
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:22   Link #485
coleslaw

Quote:
Spoiler for Takaki in 5cm and the theme:
Trying to support your idea by over analyzing Takaki's state of mind pulling in bits from Cosmonauts
Spoiler for both Cosmonauts and 5cm per second:
Old 2007-08-01, 05:33   Link #486
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Just playing devil's advocate on a fact in 5cm
Spoiler for Response:
Hmm, well it is possible..
Quote:
Looking back it's bitter, but alternative is even more bitter...
Spoiler for ending:
As much as I wanted them to be together at the end of it all, that is definately not the path that I would want it to take..
Quote:
Trying to support your idea by over analyzing Takaki's state of mind pulling in bits from Cosmonauts
I really like that message, if that was indeed the message.
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 06:17   Link #487
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Anyway, it's been announced on the last entry of the official blog that there will indeed be an official standalone version of the novel. It will probably be out once its serialisation in the Da Vinci magazine ends in September. They're currently publishing the third episode of the story in two halves, first half in the August issue and the second half in the September issue of the magazine.

What's interesting is that Shinkai seems to have added in more details to the third episode of the story. Apparently, the third episode had a lot of cuts to make it the 10 minute episode we watched. A lot more cuts than what was taken out in "Cosmonaut".

I will have to get my hands on this novel too once it's out

Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/staff_5cm/23352577.html

Last edited by Xcomp; 2007-08-01 at 11:05. Reason: Forgot the source about the novel.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 11:18   Link #488
Moogster

I read this in Wikipedia:

Quote:
The movie is called 5 centimeters per second (the speed at which cherry blossoms fall), petals being a metaphorical representation of humans, reminiscent of the slowness of life and how people often start together but slowly drift into their separate ways.
If this really is the case then that timeline really does make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Spoiler for from Xcomp:
That just made the ending feel really a whole lot bitter. I still feel that the movie will still have a great impact even if they got together. Still from the title itself, I guess they wouldn't be.
Old 2007-08-01, 15:47   Link #489
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Quote:
I read this in Wikipedia:

If this really is the case then that timeline really does make a lot of sense.

That just made the ending feel really a whole lot bitter. I still feel that the movie will still have a great impact even if they got together. Still from the title itself, I guess they wouldn't be.
I think in essence that was one of Shinkai's ulterior motives in this flick, haha. He's a sly bastard! He wanted us to anticipate the get together of Tohno and Akari, yet we know that it won't happen because the centralized theme of the movie was continuum.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 16:24   Link #490
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I finally got the watch the entire thing. Wow.

Half of the effort was just absorbing the sheet amazing quantity
of utterly stupefyingly amazing graphic images: Light, shadow,
clouds, fog, snow, rain, petals falling - all rendered in obsessive detail.

And what better techniques to use in a film that ultimately comes
down to obsession in many ways?

Spoiler:

Bravo. I can't wait to see what this guy will do next. I definetely
want to read the book. Maybe more answers will be illustrated
there.
Old 2007-08-01, 19:16   Link #491
coleslaw

Quote:
Quote:
I really like that message, if that was indeed the message.
That's just one way to read it, and Xcomp got some interesting interpretation too, that I'm replying after the spoiler
Spoiler for ending scene:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Anyway, it's been announced on the last entry of the official blog that there will indeed be an official standalone version of the novel. It will probably be out once its serialisation in the Da Vinci magazine ends in September. They're currently publishing the third episode of the story in two halves, first half in the August issue and the second half in the September issue of the magazine.

What's interesting is that Shinkai seems to have added in more details to the third episode of the story. Apparently, the third episode had a lot of cuts to make it the 10 minute episode we watched. A lot more cuts than what was taken out in "Cosmonaut".

I will have to get my hands on this novel too once it's out

Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/staff_5cm/23352577.html
I'm looking forward for that too, I was a bit disappointed about the DVD not having a longer full version of third episode as extra, guess such complex emotions are better done with text media. Hopefully we can see Akari's viewpoint in the novel, that's an interesting perspective the movie haven't explored.

Last edited by coleslaw; 2007-08-01 at 19:35.
Old 2007-08-02, 01:02   Link #492
tresor

Quick post 5 cm makes US Cartoon Network Adult Swim.

When I was working I had my tape up from Adult Swim Sunday Night (All Comedy and no Anime etc night), and I was shocked to see Adult Swim ran a bumper (Buffer separating shows from commercials). The bumper had a woman's lips with the last bars to the song one more time as heard at the end of the final rail road scene.
I was surprised to see it so soon (actually to ever see it at all) after the Japanese DVD release, and to run on the only night that they do not run at least 1 anime. For outside of the US, Adult Swim is a cable channel subsidiary of the ABC (American Broadcast Company).
It ran 12:29 Monday AM (the one past midnight Sunday) 07/30/2007.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 02:00   Link #493
tresor

I like these quotes

"Of course, that would just be another way of staying distant from the people in his life now...." Kaoru Chujo
I think this is a valid point.

"Apparently, the third episode had a lot of cuts to make it the 10 minute episode we watched. A lot more" via xcomp
Wonderment at that one, the chicken and the egg, meaning I thought there was 1 person making all of the decisions. Ranks right up with the "self admission" that these were not based upon personal experiences of the 5cm creator.
Old 2007-08-02, 02:05   Link #494
tresor

What was text above Mizuno Phone smiley face?

What did the text say above smiley face on Mizuno Phone? Right before she left for meeting. Thank You, tresor.
Old 2007-08-02, 04:23   Link #495
lobabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresor View Post
What did the text say above smiley face on Mizuno Phone? Right before she left for meeting. Thank You, tresor.
Sending mail complete. (送信完了しました)
lobabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 12:01   Link #496
tresor

lobabel thank you.

lobabel thank you, that is what I thought, but I'm weak on actual Japanese.
Old 2007-08-02, 15:28   Link #497
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I've thought about it some more a day later, more proof it's an excellent
production.

Spoiler:

I still think that Shinkai has created a masterwork of color and sound
and a bittersweet story that has the potential to just be bitter if you
don't look at it closely.

Maybe someday will have a follow-up in the future showing a happy
Takaki with grandkids on his knee telling them a story or something.

But in the meantime, I'm pretty satisfied with the conclusion.
Old 2007-08-02, 20:03   Link #498
Moogster

I get the feeling that before that railroad scene, they weren't thinking about each other at all. It was the last thing on their minds. ( I think )
Old 2007-08-02, 22:35   Link #499
tresor

Silver writing on a platinum painting

My current feeling on it is silver writing on a platinum painting, a little harder to pick up the story writing? Or a mystery written in silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I've thought about it some more a day later, more proof it's an excellent
production.

The book should clear up all of the guesswork but I'm pretty sure
this is what's happened.

I still think that Shinkai has created a masterwork of color and sound
I agree, but even more so, some parts are perfect. The story is simple yet complex.

Spoiler for Akari Shinohara:

Spoiler for Conflict:

Novel
I hope they cover the real Kanae ending, I think by unaminous consensus that is owed.
Spoiler for Kanae MIA in thid movie:

I fear the novel may contain an alternate grrr postscript ending (think Voices of a Distant Star, Beyond/Promises wow, the name of that movie is Beyond Promises), I think "These are the words but not the truth, God Bless them all when they speak to you, but that's alright on an empty stage."

The ending movie is also made more interesting in the question of what is the real story of the ending movie? I have the feeling the ending movie was changed grrr generalized (Happens Every Day in Real Life) for marketing/selling grrr creative reasons, and the discontinuity in the ending movie may speak to a conflict between what Shinkai wanted and what the production company wanted. I have the feeling Shinkai is more perfectionist than loose (marketing).
I think one can find the real parts in the ending movie but with the cost of time/frustration.
Old 2007-08-04, 13:41   Link #500
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresor View Post
My current feeling on it is silver writing on a platinum painting....
Great metaphor. Glorious, but a bit obscure. Somehow the strange light and layered richness of the images still seems like reality -- a reality realer than the ordinary world.

Just reading about this show still makes my chest feel full of emotion.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai