AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 48 24.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 24.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 44 22.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 10.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 6.60%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 4.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.52%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.52%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-29, 19:15   Link #221
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Now if Rigald KILLS Raki on his way to rescuing Clare...I will forgive Madhouse.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:17   Link #222
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodlou View Post
Now if Rigald KILLS Raki on his way to rescuing Clare...I will forgive Madhouse.
That would be epic. And Clare goes berserker.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:18   Link #223
Flora20709
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flora20709 Send a message via Yahoo to Flora20709
Well I WOnt they still have to bring back my Flora
Old 2007-08-29, 19:26   Link #224
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Remember? The horse of Raki is sick. Maybe it falls of a cliff. Raki lose Pieta direction.

When he reach Peita all is over, last 3min of episode 26.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:29   Link #225
superzombie23

Quote:
Yes, then I'll be able to call Claymore a perfect anime again
Old 2007-08-29, 19:32   Link #226
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyelys View Post
Remember? The horse of Raki is sick. Maybe it falls of a cliff. Raki lose Pieta direction.

When he reach Peita all is over, last 3min of episode 26.
Well, Raki isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Quote:
Yes, then I'll be able to call Claymore a perfect anime again
More than perfect! I might even convert from being a manga reader to an anime reader.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:35   Link #227
UPR

I may be alone on this; strike i am alone on this, I want Raki to live through this and problably will since he sorta in a way is Clare's support. Most of the time we hear Clare thinking she is thinking about Raki. I don't think they would change the story from the manga and have them meet up jujst to kill him. Right now Clare is on the edge of a cliff the death of Raki in front of here would push her over and i kind of don't want to see Clare eating guts and such.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:37   Link #228
flick
電脳コイル'd

OMG, that was an exciting (but also excruciating) episode! I think it's taken a different turn compared to the manga!
Spoiler:

Oh yes, and I know Priscilla is meant to be cute and sweet and everything, but everytime they feature her (esp. when she's clinging on to Raki) I actually want to throw some rotten tomatoes and extremely hard rocks with deadly accuracy AT priscilla. She really annoys me!

However, on the plus side, Raki is growing on me

p/s: The excruciating part is why Raki doesn't just use his sword as one should and bump off Priscilla. Honestly, the man/boy is too kind!

Last edited by flick; 2007-08-29 at 19:53.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:39   Link #229
Manifold

Clare's motive for continued existence is based around her failure to save Teresa (becoming a motive to kill Priscilla) and her refusal to die for the sake of Raki.

Take Raki away, and the story becomes considerably more two dimensional. Raki's participation in the Claymore episodes provides a neat counterbalance to the pure violence otherwise shown.

His presence also allows a viewer to associate themselves with a more believable character; he becomes an anchor for the viewer and draws them further into the Claymore world. I don't know about you, but I feel much more in touch with Raki than Clare. He's fully human for a start.

So yeah.. that's what I think of Raki.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:40   Link #230
superzombie23

If Raki was a girl, this anime would be 2x better. It would symbolize even more the past relationship between Clare and Teresa, and I would definitely feel for the girl version of Raki riding a horse, calling out to Clare. IT would be so tragic and emotional
Old 2007-08-29, 19:42   Link #231
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Clare will be fine. She's the star of the show and Raki is not her life objective anyways. It's getting Pris's head on a silver plate. Raki is just a diversion and a replacement for Teresa in a weird way.

But seriously, I;m getting a migraine from the Raki scenes being cut into the action scenes, which are really unnecessary. IF they inserted the Raki 'angle" at the last 4 minutes like in episode 18, the viewers wouldn't revolt like this.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:48   Link #232
strung_out

Send a message via MSN to strung_out
Quote:
IF they inserted the Raki 'angle" at the last 4 minutes like in episode 18, the viewers wouldn't revolt like this.
Agreed, I gave this episode 9/10... the only thing that I had a problem with was how they spread out the Raki scenes like that. It really interrupted the pace that the fight was setting for the episode.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:51   Link #233
SebaZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralizer View Post
That would be epic. And Clare goes berserker.
didn't she go berserk already?
Old 2007-08-29, 19:52   Link #234
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebaZ View Post
didn't she go berserk already?
It wasn't enough.
Old 2007-08-29, 19:55   Link #235
flick
電脳コイル'd

Is 'berserk' the new terminology for 'exceeding one's limit' and awakening?

AFAIK, she almost awakened before but Raki prevented it from happening. Technically her right arm (or Irene (sp?)'s arm is awakened )
Old 2007-08-29, 20:45   Link #236
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzombie23 View Post
If Raki was a girl, this anime would be 2x better. It would symbolize even more the past relationship between Clare and Teresa, and I would definitely feel for the girl version of Raki riding a horse, calling out to Clare. IT would be so tragic and emotional
Waitaminute...Raki ISN'T A GIRL? Just kidding. I think it would be better if Raki was female, to continue the mother-daughter relationship that Clare and Teresa had. Why do I have a feeling Teresa's coming back somewhere around scene 100?

Last edited by hollywoodlou; 2007-08-29 at 20:55.
Old 2007-08-29, 21:11   Link #237
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
If Raki was a girl, this series would not have a single male protagonist, and thus become the new yuri show of the season... CLARE-SAMA GA MITERU!
Old 2007-08-29, 21:12   Link #238
RoryTate
Circle Researcher

Another great episode. The fight between Miria and Rigardo definitely lived up to its billing. I liked the way Deneve, Helen, and Clare fought to protect her. I had hoped we would learn more about Miria's travels and such after the Slashers eps. A fight like this seemed the perfect opportunity to reveal how she got stronger...oh well, not a big thing, but unmet expectations like that can make an otherwise good story seem bad. I must say, Rigardo's comments really gave that battle a life...from recognizing Miria's illusion trick, to stating that she was slowing down, then the final "I guess that wasn't an illusion"...great stuff.

Similar to last episode, I liked the way they interspersed the battle with the other storyline. This is actually an oft-used device that serves to heighten tension. Anime (over)uses it quite often in the manner of flashbacks or characters talking during battles. People unfamiliar with anime actually proclaim this use of flashbacks and talking as "unbelievable" or "jarring". It's simply a stylistic decision. Interesting to see that many anime fans have learned to dislike the more accepted Western(?) device of simply having multiple stories run simultaneously.

Raki asking Easley "Who on earth are you?" was a welcome question, and Easley's response (foreshadowing?) was perfect. The bit about Raki having a choice on traveling with them, and his reluctant acceptance, was full of an awkward tension I really liked.

I must say that I loved Deneve in this episode. Really glad to see she got some quality time, aside from Helen always seeming to steal the show. They really closed out the deep Undine x Deneve interaction with a strong exclamation mark. I wonder what repercussions Deneve will experience because of her feelings of complete helplessness?

While some of the flashbacks were strong, others felt very weak. Deneve's worked very well, even though it was a "mid-battle" one (which too often means mediocre at best). Clare's memory of Theresa was even better. However, the repeat of the last minute of ep 21 right at the start of ep 22 was obvious filler, as was showing Priscilla's "Papa, Mama" twice.

The disappearance of the other Claymores during the battle could have been handled much better IMO...I can suspend my disbelief enough to imagine that they all realized they couldn't contribute. However, just a quick "Retreat or die" message from Miria would have worked better. It seems so easy to just replace one of the many other flashback/extended scenes with that, since they only served to end the episode at the right moment.

Having Raki truly understand that Clare was a breath away from becoming like Priscilla, and see that such a transformation is her eventual fate, was very powerful. It completely changed my view of Clare and the other Claymores (which I didn't realize had shifted so far during the series). Even amidst all the shounen strength and power displayed at the moment, they are now allowed to be tragic figures, and can be pitied once again.

All of the building tension from the scene shifting, along with the emotionally "right on the mark" moments, brought me to the edge of my seat at the end as Clare ran to save Miria. Excellent use of slow motion (a hard thing to do in animation). Powerful music. Completely chilling voice change from Clare. Anxiety and suspense...I really couldn't say if Miria would live or not. An all-around climax that few (if any) scenes have ever equaled in my memory.
Old 2007-08-29, 21:24   Link #239
sovayfox

>_>

I started with the anime. half way through I started in on the manga and kept step in step with the anime not reading past where the anime was. I liked that they were so similar. I like animation more. However, my main draw was the story. I don't think the changes in the story at this episode were a good idea. I sped past all the raki bits. had a friend tell me what the times were on them and deleted them out so I wouldn't have to deal with them disrupting the flow so badly. I really dislike where this is heading and guess I"m now a manga only reader. I have finished the manga up to 73. I kidn of wish they did what hunter x hunter did and just follow the story to a decent place to end and then do ovas as the story came out.

ITs like, well, madhouse is doing claymore fan fiction. It is about the same quality as the majority of fan fiction. The original author always writes it best.
Old 2007-08-29, 21:35   Link #240
guess

I hope this is not going to turn into some soap opera. "Little Raki is now flying to his big and strong Clare (you know what I mean). Clare becomes insanely strong....somehow, and kill off all her enemies (Priscilla? Easley?). They live happily ever after."

Or, they can do the tragedy cliche. "Clare is killed in the finall battle with Priscilla or Easley (or whoever the big bad guy is) and leaves Raki behind. But the final words of Clare give Raki the strength to live on or for revenge, whatever"

God, please, no.