AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 139 38.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 100 27.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 75 20.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 7.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.55%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-26, 05:10   Link #381
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Curses Bs-i for holding the widescreen...and I don't like watching BS-i broadcasts because of that annoying BS-i symbol at the corner all the time.
Old 2007-10-26, 05:40   Link #382
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
so has anyone seen the wide screen version already?

EDIT: by the way, looking at the comparison screen shots of wide screen vs. full screen, whose that girl with the broom and wearing an apron? Haven't seen her after episode 1...I guess she's just a minor character then...
All we know is that her name is Misae-san..she is Uber HOT and she is the Landlady of Sunohara. She is a minor character but important enough to feature in the OP so, i guess we will see more of her in the future
Old 2007-10-26, 05:47   Link #383
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
All we know is that her name is Misae-san..she is Uber HOT and she is the Landlady of Sunohara. She is a minor character but important enough to feature in the OP so, i guess we will see more of her in the future
oh ok thanks for the info...next to Tomoyo, she sure is hot and has that aura of being on the same level of being "cool" as Tomoyo.
Though I still rank Tomoyo as my favorite character in Clannad, despite being hot and cool.
I feel like re-watching episode 1...even though the wide screen hasn't come out yet.
Old 2007-10-27, 08:57   Link #384
Liingo
Love Hina?

Widescreen version of Ep 1 is out by Eclipse!

Time to see what's missing from the original airing. (Once I finish downloading..)
Old 2007-10-27, 08:59   Link #385
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Awesome!

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2007-10-27, 09:20   Link #386
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Not to sure were to put this. But there isn't a video quality thread in the Clannad subforum like there is in Gundam 00. So posting it here

Quite happy the widescreen version is released. Did some comparisons. From the looks of it the 4:3 versions have somewhat more vibrant colors than the widescreen version Very notable in the intro. But less notable in the episode itself. Now i'm wondering if it's the encoding or the raw. Since the widescreen version is around the same size as the 4:3 version (170-175mb). Also notice the 4:3 version is slightly sharper, or my eyes are playing tricks on me

Spoiler for screencaps inside, putted in spoiler tag to save space.:

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-10-27, 09:33   Link #387
Mentar
Banned

The bs-i airing was VERY poor. Tons of dotcrawl and rainbowing, along with many other kinds of artifacts. The colors were also a trace different, but I chose not to artificially brighten them up, because then they will look oversaturated in other parts.

Well - this is the only 16:9 game in town, and there won't be better raws as far as I know, so I did with the source what I could.

The sharpness part is partly right (I had to submit the source to stronger smoothing than the 4:3 raws due to its poor quality), but you need to keep in mind that it's going to be stretched to fullscreen mode, and there the 4:3 raw will lose its screenshot advantage. (You effectively downscaled the 4:3 footage here relative to fullscreen playback, and downscaling always leads to a "sharper" visual impression). Color "vibrancy" always hurts when you fight rainbowing - no way around it - but I tried to keep it to acceptable levels.

Not saying that no better result was possible video-wise, but it's the best compromise of artifact- and dotcrawl removal and sharpness I could come up with.
Old 2007-10-27, 09:34   Link #388
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Not to sure were to put this. But there isn't a video quality thread in the Clannad subforum like there is in Gundam 00. So posting it here

Quite happy the widescreen version is released. Did some comparisons. From the looks of it the 4:3 versions have somewhat more vibrant colors than the widescreen version Very notable in the intro. But less notable in the episode itself. Now i'm wondering if it's the encoding or the raw. Since the widescreen version is around the same size as the 4:3 version (170-175mb). Also notice the 4:3 version is slightly sharper, or my eyes are playing tricks on me

Spoiler for screencaps inside, putted in spoiler tag to save space.:
Blame BS-i the channel! The use a really cheap video sampling method and thus provides a bad definition of the video, which makes the contrast loose...
Old 2007-10-27, 10:08   Link #389
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The bs-i airing was VERY poor. Tons of dotcrawl and rainbowing, along with many other kinds of artifacts. The colors were also a trace different, but I chose not to artificially brighten them up, because then they will look oversaturated in other parts.

Well - this is the only 16:9 game in town, and there won't be better raws as far as I know, so I did with the source what I could.

The sharpness part is partly right (I had to submit the source to stronger smoothing than the 4:3 raws due to its poor quality), but you need to keep in mind that it's going to be stretched to fullscreen mode, and there the 4:3 raw will lose its screenshot advantage. (You effectively downscaled the 4:3 footage here relative to fullscreen playback, and downscaling always leads to a "sharper" visual impression). Color "vibrancy" always hurts when you fight rainbowing - no way around it - but I tried to keep it to acceptable levels.

Not saying that no better result was possible video-wise, but it's the best compromise of artifact- and dotcrawl removal and sharpness I could come up with.
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I will probably still archive the widescreen version since i got a widescreen myself. Hopefully bs-i will get there act together and broadcast the next episodes in better quality. Hope i didn't came over to negative in my previous post, as i'm still very happy there is a widescreen version. And words come short to show my gratitude towards the fansubbing community for letting me enjoy anime

Thanks for explaining, and many thanks for the wonderful releases from your group. ^.^

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-10-27, 10:55   Link #390
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

BS-i have been boardcasting shows with this crappy quality for years...you can't expect them to change just for one show...
Old 2007-10-27, 14:34   Link #391
Jeiku

Well this takes quite an effort to put forth then. Thanks, guys at Eclipse - especially for the slight picture reworkings for the widescreen version.
Old 2007-10-27, 16:20   Link #392
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
Well this takes quite an effort to put forth then. Thanks, guys at Eclipse - especially for the slight picture reworkings for the widescreen version.
Really? Skips off to find the sub.
Old 2007-10-27, 18:23   Link #393
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

:O I go to sleep, wake up and find the Eclipse site has been updated with a WS version of CLANNAD 01...

Regardless of the poor broadcast quality, I'm sure the encoding is as good as we will get for now - so let's all sit back and enjoy CLANNAD as it was supposed to be seen.
Old 2007-10-27, 18:44   Link #394
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Beautiful. Absolutely wonderful in widescreen. So nice to see the best show of the season in proper 16:9. The 4:3 crops are horrific.
Old 2007-10-27, 21:15   Link #395
dispelPotion

yeah, i thought the girls were pretty cute in this anime. there wasn't any of that weird nose profile going on. it seemed like the characters were stars in other series. i especially enjoyed that bread she was eating. what does clannad mean in japanese? ohh wait, the beginning, where the girl is walking up to school was drawn really weird. legs were waaaaay too long.
i gave it an average because i cant remember any of their names right now.
Old 2007-10-28, 01:17   Link #396
kevin13
Disabled By Request

I don't think it means anything in Japanese but is from the English world "Clan" which means like a family, your kin. The fact that there's and "nad" there is because of some scots band by the same name.

Key have a thing for English names: Kanon, Air, Little Busters, Planetarium.

Don't quote me on that though.
Old 2007-10-28, 02:35   Link #397
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickal555 View Post
I don't think it means anything in Japanese but is from the English world "Clan" which means like a family, your kin. The fact that there's and "nad" there is because of some scots band by the same name.

Key have a thing for English names: Kanon, Air, Little Busters, Planetarium.

Don't quote me on that though.
I've already explained in various posts, so I won't write again.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=107
Old 2007-10-28, 02:49   Link #398
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I've already explained in various posts, so I won't write again.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=107
You quoted me.
Old 2007-10-28, 03:05   Link #399
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... I guess with so many threads and so many posts, it's a bit hard for the newbies to grasp some of the more basic concepts we've discussed over the months.
Old 2007-10-28, 03:09   Link #400
kevin13
Disabled By Request

WTH

I thought I was half answering a question there, but apparently I replyed to the wrong thread.
><.

Bloody oath.

EDIT: Oh no wait now I see it. I think I'm loosing my mind here.
Closed Thread