AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-10, 22:38   Link #1
InsanoFatMan

question about motorcycles

yea, i've been considering getting a motorcycle, but then i realized that i know nothing about them... just wondering if any of you out there knew sumtin.

1) whats a decent size motor to get? is like a 1100cc an overkill or will like a 600cc motor do okay? would a 1100cc engine be like a 12-cylinder engine and a 600cc be like a 6-cylinder? an analogy like this would help me understand a lot better... heh.

2) uh, this may be a real stupid question, but are all motorcycles like manual or they they have like automatic transmission bikes like in cars?

3) and finally, which company would you reccomend? only ones that i know of are like honda, yamaha, and like suzuki. if you have any pros or cons about any of these companies, or reccomend any other brand, that would be helpful.

thanx.
InsanoFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 22:46   Link #2
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Oooooo I HEART bikes!! Neway...

1. For starters, me suggest you get a 600cc, its plenty enough for your first bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanoFatMan
would a 1100cc engine be like a 12-cylinder engine and a 600cc be like a 6-cylinder?.
--sure u can put it dat way.

2) Almost all sports bikes manual, touring bikes are automatic

3) I'm a lil bias but I say honda. They sell the most bikes in the world but here is a fun list of other bike companies to help u out!

http://www.bikez.com/brands/index.php
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 22:52   Link #3
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak
Oooooo I HEART bikes!! Neway...

1. For starters, me suggest you get a 600cc, its plenty enough for your first bike.

--sure u can put it dat way.

2) Almost all sports bikes manual, touring bikes are automatic

3) I'm a lil bias but I say honda. They sell the most bikes in the world but here is a fun list of other bike companies to help u out!

http://www.bikez.com/brands/index.php

Even 600cc is too much for some people.......suggest they get a scooter
Lets say, 1000+, its alot of power for the size and weight you are pulling.
And most sports bikes are manuals, even some ATVs are.

As for another brand, if you have the money, a Ducati.
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 22:55   Link #4
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero
Even 600cc is too much for some people.......suggest they get a scooter
Lets say, 1000+, its alot of power for the size and weight you are pulling.
And most sports bikes are manuals, even some ATVs are.

As for another brand, if you have the money, a Ducati.
Some ducatis cost as much as a car. And i dont suggest 1000+ as a starter bike. Youll get your bum in trouble. Those things rip and will be mean to you if you are inexperienced. Try getting a beater bike (one thats cheap and you can mess around with) first. Like an older model, so you can get used to the feel of a bike. You dont always have to resort to a scooter :P
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 23:02   Link #5
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak
Some ducatis cost as much as a car. And i dont suggest 1000+ as a starter bike. Youll get your bum in trouble. Those things rip and will be mean to you if you are inexperienced. Try getting a beater bike (one thats cheap and you can mess around with) first. Like an older model, so you can get used to the feel of a bike. You dont always have to resort to a scooter :P

Don't I know a Ducati will rip his arse off. But Ducati's are good, thus why I mentioned it as another brand. But it also depend if he wants a sports bike or cruiser (choppers). By the brands he mentioned, mostly are known for their sports line. 600cc is great for starters, they got some power too.....you don't need crazy power to enjoy a bike anyway. You can start with a truimph tt600, its a decent bike......it is good for starters, so its alright.
Old 2004-03-10, 23:05   Link #6
InsanoFatMan

cool, thx for all the info, it helped a lot.
Old 2004-03-10, 23:32   Link #7
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
My friend's first bike was a Yamaha R1... but I wouldn't suggest it. From what I've heard, the Yamaha R6 is one of the better 600s to get. They say that they have great balance and handling and can in some cases leave the 1K bikes in the corners. My friend told me that if he rolls the throttle to hard in the corner, the front feels like it wants to lift. Which from what I hear is what are the characteristics of most 1k bikes.

I don't ride but I have a lot of friends that do. I would get a bike, but I'm a speed freak and would rather keep it on 4 wheels.
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 01:02   Link #8
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Ok this is what you do. You get a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for a starter. Since you know nothing about bikes and have never riden one I strongly suggest this. You will drop your bike. It is inevitable and almost a down right given. You dont want to buy a nice new bike and drop it. Trust me on this. My friends have bikes and one of them has fallen twice and droped his bike 3 times.

Power wise 600 is overkill for a beginner. 250 scared me the 1st time I rode it. Also think about it. You dont want to start w/ a heavy bike like a r1 or r6. *drop affect* Anyway if you insist on getting something w/ more power get an older 600cc. Why older? Beginner factor you dont want to mess up a brand new bike. If you walk into a bike shop and say " Oh yah DoGg I want the NewEst Yamaha R1 'Cuz it lOoks TyTe and has PowA for my FirSt BikE" they will laugh there ass off at you and tell you to go home and ask your mommy and daddy for written permision to even talk to them. *Sarcasim*

My friends want me to get a bike, but getting my 240 is top priority right now. In a couple years I will get this bike though ^^

This is the '04 Gixxer 1000 *GSX-R 1000*. This bike is after the title of king of 1k bikes. The question this bike presents is... Can the R1 Hang with Me? *

My friend is getting this bike in a couple months

this is the '04 Honda CBR1000RR or 1000RR. This bike will kill you if you dont play nice ^^.

Remember me and my friends have ridden our bikes for 6 months plus before we ever concidered getting 1k bikes. *well I've been riding my friends bike when he doesnt use it ^^*. Start with something small to get used to it. Than upgrade and you wont regret it !
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 04:10   Link #9
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Yeah, I have another friend who bought a 250 to learn on. Also take the CC Rider class or what ever motorcycle training class is in your area. SiL Eighty is right, you will drop that sucker. So take that into consideration when choosing your bike.

As for me, I happy with 4 wheels.... for now.
Old 2004-03-11, 04:14   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

1100 would make you go wooooooooooooo
I've seen a beginner wheely and flip over on the start on a 500 cc several times before he got the hang of it
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 05:47   Link #11
Kerensky18
?Sleep?

Send a message via MSN to Kerensky18
I know that in my state (washington) you need to get a motor-cycle endorsment now there are two ways of doing this, you can go in and take the tests with youre own bike. OR for $50 you can take the class wich is the best option becuase the teach you how to ride and provides the motorcycle for you and that way you can find out how well you can ride a motocycle. The testing center in my area uses the honda shadows and it is where I am going to go and learn. So you might want to look if you have places in youre state that teaches people how to ride motorcycles. Because for $50 you can drop someone else bike and not worry about it :-)
Kerensky18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 09:37   Link #12
Dark Zero

SiL Eighty brings up a good point, bikes are heavy and you will drop it easily. I've seen it happen infront of me, funny thing cuz the guy was a moron and deserved it. I came home from work, was parking my car see some moron on a bike, I think it was a CBR, so he decides to show off to his friends across the street. He takes his hands of the handlebars and coats without hands (wow isnt he the coolest?). The dumbass hits a lump (not bump) on the road (he was doing abot 15mph) and swirves like mad. All I see in my rear view mirror is him trying to straddle the bike trying to a hold it, then I see the bike fall. With all his effort tryig to hold it up, it still fell, why? At that point, forget about it, its falling, you cannot hold it up.........take that in consideration InsanoFatMan, you don't want to damage a new bike.
Old 2004-03-11, 09:39   Link #13
Breogan
Umeboshi

I think before you buy a brand new widowmaker, you should buy a cheap used 250 and learn to ride on it until you are totally comfortable with the driving, because 500 or more is pretty overkill for a beginner.
Don't know about the law there, but in Spain you need at least a 2 year old motorcycle license to drive anything over 250.
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 11:53   Link #14
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppstaR
Yeah, I have another friend who bought a 250 to learn on. Also take the CC Rider class or what ever motorcycle training class is in your area. SiL Eighty is right, you will drop that sucker. So take that into consideration when choosing your bike.

As for me, I happy with 4 wheels.... for now.
!!!!!!!!!!! NICE AE86!!! Is it a Hachiroku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppstaR
They say that they have great balance and handling and can in some cases leave the 1K bikes in the corners. My friend told me that if he rolls the throttle to hard in the corner, the front feels like it wants to lift. Which from what I hear is what are the characteristics of most 1k bikes.
Ya that is the major charactoristic of 1k bikes. They are pushing over 100 hp and when you start knee dragging in corners the front end really wants to pop up under throttle.

If your looking for the best of both worlds though *600 handling 1k power* I recomend the Gixxer 750. I'm quite fond of the '04 750 just 'cuz it looks so nice ^^

*Crash Stories*
When my friends dropped their bikes, they werent doing anything to try to look cool. They just straight out dropped them on accident.

- One time my friends went to a bike shop to get new visors for their helmets. When they were leaving there was a tight U-Turn. While going thru the U-Turn one of my friends bike fell over on him mid turn going 15 mph. Why?
1. Tires cold
2. He wasnt using any rear break
3. leaned to low.

Another time we were at a gas station and my friend decided he didnt want to get off his bike. He figured he was close enough to the pump and would just gas it from there. Bad Idea. When he finished and reached for the reciept the bike fell over between his legs.

Im not posting this to make fun of my friends *even though it was kinda funny*. I just want to let you know what kinda things to look out for. If or when you do get a new bike, I recomend that you get these body inserts called tray sliders. These are like peg type things that stick out of the body to help reduce damage when the bike falls. Remember if the bike does start to fall over and you cant save it. Dont just bail on it try to lay it down as to reduce damage to it. You mostly break the turn signal or mirror. You dont want to break anything on the handle bars or any of the body fairings. Those = $$$$$.

*edit* The bike training class Where I'm at is $150 now it doubled from last summer..... bastards
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 12:32   Link #15
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

I wouldn't suggest getting a R6 as your first bike unless your insane like I was. I've never rode a 2 wheeled motor anything before and decided to get one. I was also popping wheelies and doing endos 20 minutes into having it and getting upto 145 at the time (my current highest is 173 on my 02 R6). If anything yamahas are very very good bikes. Like someone said the R1 or any 1000cc is not a beginner bike at all. If I was you I might consider a 600r. A little fugly but very nice to get the feel of a 600cc bike and theres only a small difference, plus you can always trade it in when you feel comfortable. Another thing is I would highly consider taking a motorcycle course before getting even if its not a sports bike they teach you on, its good to get the feel of it. R6's are very stabile and great bikes for courses and have plenty of speed and pick up. I'm looking to get another yamaha, I just love them, I'e been on gxr's and I'm not to happy about there front gas area being so big for 600-750 being they use they same one from the 1000cc bike. Also girls love yamaha (blue that is ...). There just the best looking bike hands down, specially the new ones (god I want a new R1 so bad.) but hey start small and don't be stupid in traffic or show off. The worst thing to do is prove a point you can beat a car on a bike. We already know this you don't have to act up and show off. I've had so experinces with idiots in hondas, saturns, beat up ol shits and even regular wrx and ferraris to corvettes try to start a race and I'll just give them a thumbs up point them to a long straight know where I'm from and ask then if they still want to and they back down. Why, because they know they would lose. and yes I said ferrari before. I've raced to many "exotics" to know the guys behind the wheels are to much of bitches to go past 145 while i'm doing 160. Also another thing I can, don't ride in packs. Cops LOVE bikers in packs. I'e seen to many times whole groups get puled over for nothing, just riding together. I've goin so far to test this theory and see cops behind packs and doo 120+ past them by myself and I'm left alone. Not saying you'll never get pulled over. But its more likely a group of people will do something stupid in a pack and cause injury to themselves or others then riding by yourself.

Conclusion, I would either suggest a bike right under a the top 600 model someone has or a 250.

p.s. Yes I said don't act stupid and i've shown you I have but with many consequnces also. I've gotten the occasional ticket and have had my life be in serious jeperody from stupid moves and doing my cannon ball runs. I'm an idiot I know, but thats just me and i've learned since i've first gotten my bikes.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 14:15   Link #16
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
!!!!!!!!!!! NICE AE86!!! Is it a Hachiroku?
Yes it is. I love my car. I would start a post about cars, but it will just get locked like the last one.... and I am suprised that this thread has lasted this long.

Back on topic:

Take your time to decide on a bike. Take lessons and be careful.
Old 2004-03-11, 21:38   Link #17
lionken07
Well Armed

Let me give some general rules about getting your first bike, some of them other members have already said on their post but what the heck.

1.250cc should do more than enough for your first bike. My heart almost stop when I first try it. How much you weight? I'm asking this because bikes are not much heavier than a normal size human. If you weight 300 pounds the same bike will not feel the same as if a 100 pound person is riding it. The "you will definitely drop it rule" also apply, no matter how careful you are you will drop it, so get a cheap and used bike first!!

2. Get manual, automatic bikes are no fun!

3. As for what company, I don't think I can help you much on this one as I don't have a bike right now. however, all Japanese brands will do you wonder, I must say.

On a side note, I think 600cc will kill you...I tried it, and it almost killed me...but do keep in mind that I'm just a little over 100 pounds so even with me on the bike, the bike feels light as feather...
lionken07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 23:44   Link #18
InsanoFatMan

haha thannx for the tips... well, let's just say my name is Insano Fat Man for a reason. I weigh in at about 230 lbs. I used to weight lift a lot, but i've been getting kinda flabby lately...hahaha. Will a 250cc bike be able to pull my fat ass around?
Old 2004-03-12, 00:48   Link #19
lionken07
Well Armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanoFatMan
haha thannx for the tips... well, let's just say my name is Insano Fat Man for a reason. I weigh in at about 230 lbs. I used to weight lift a lot, but i've been getting kinda flabby lately...hahaha. Will a 250cc bike be able to pull my fat ass around?
lol, I'm guessing yes. Even with a 250cc engine its way faster than 99% of the cars on the road!! I used to carry my "teacher" who owned a 125cc and it still moves with both of us on it lol.

oh yeah, one more thing...

when your first learning, chill with your right arm because they will fly even with a light twist (I learned the hard way )
lionken07 is offline   Reply With Quote