Yumi looks so much like Lacus in GSD
Ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 16:28   Link #582
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1
Yumi looks so much like Lacus in GSD
She looked more like Fllay, if she's close to anything.
IMO, she looks nowhere close to Lacus.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 05:05   Link #583
cider
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterVR
But one thing about the great script writing:- Even though their character designs are similar, I see them as different people entirely. I guess that's why I love Soukyuu no Fafner.
cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 07:28   Link #584
ryuusei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterVR
it was kinda weird, because Ryo looks exactly like his successor kazuki...who looks like shin (actually its shinn that looks like kazuki) and i was really freaked out when yumi had that haircut and turned into a lunamaria.

Spoiler:

all in all this was one freaking brilliant ova. Ryo would have made one fasinating character if he got into the tv series contrasting kazuki and soshi's personalities
ryuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 07:57   Link #585
cider
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuusei
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuusei
all in all this was one freaking brilliant ova. Ryo would have made one fasinating character if he got into the tv series contrasting kazuki and soshi's personalities
*thumbs up* fully agree.
cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 01:56   Link #586
Flame-X
Anti-fan

first mecha anime to make me cry, im so serious..
the music made more of an impact on the sadness especially at the beginning and at the last 10 min
Flame-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 03:49   Link #587
Epicwaters

well as speaking as someone who watched this prequel first (havent' seen the series yet), at first i thought it was just a retelling of the series, but now i understand it was a prequel. it makes me curious about the series and i think i'm going to go out and buy it. the prequel was really good. though things moved quickly, i enjoyed it immensely. now i just need to see the series! and i think things might make more sense. maybe. this thread was fun to read through though ^^
Epicwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 16:20   Link #588
Haruka-Kun

I would recommend watching the series first, then the OVA.
Because the series explain better about festum, so it would be better to watch it so you can understand the OVA (Fafner Right or Left) better.

I absolutely love this series. It like my top 5 anime of all time. It is the only series that made me cry more than once. I cry like 3 times when watching this series (2=soushi death, 1=sakura). This is also the only mecha that I understand completely, and cry. I absolutely adore Soushi, my top 3 favorite male anime character of all time.
Haruka-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 18:17   Link #589
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished watching Fafner, and i have to say - i was impressed. The first two or so episodes did seem as "bleh" and average at best, so i was not exactly stellar about the series, and even stopped watching for a week or so. Then i decided to continue, and i was drawn in to the story. I think ep5-6 is where it sealed the deal and had me hooked. And it only went upwards from there.

Shouko's death came as unexpected, because i certainly was expecting her to stick around for a good while ... not to mention she was my favorite character at this point (Yes, i like the nice/polite terminally sick girl archetype *stares at Sig...* um...yea), and i certainly didn't want her to die.

That aside, her death was a wasted potential imo... if she really needed to be killed [DO NOT WANT] they could have saved a "major" character like her for later... let the relationship between her and Kazuki develop, give us more time to us to get attached to her character etc... much angst potential was missed (ye ye, i know - as if Fafner needs any more of that If they needed to off some one so early some one of the "side cast" would have been good for the job... but then again - i guess she was the only one at that time with a though that she must protect the island. I liked the fact she was not forgotten, and we had her name pop up every now and then.

The atmosphere of the show was very gloomy, and the writers did a good job of conveying the feeling of hopelessness and impending doom to us. Every time i saw a sortie i got the feeling that i might not see some of them coming back. When we got one of the less gloomy episodes i just couldn't help but think "quiet before the storm". Kudos on the mood - very well managed.

A very strong set of characters as well. I found it quite interesting that the focus was rather on the "side cast" than on our main character. Actually, Kazuki got less screentime than i expected All in all the characters are sufficiently developed and don't feel like cardborad cut-outs. And they did a pretty good job at managing such a huge cast.

Soushi is an interesting character as well. At first i deemed him as a bastard and my biggest wish was for him to die (though i knew very well that wouldn't happen)... but i guess he wasn't as big of a jackass as i thought he was. The highlight for me was the scene showing him not taking the painkillers, in order to remember the pain of the pilots that died in the battle where he sent them, while himself sitting safely in the base.

Though in the end i didn't care at all when he "died"... i guess i still though he kinda deserved it (then again, i thought that about a good part of the cast). Maya asked a good question to her father "how is he different from Festum?" ... i think that could be asked to a lot of the adults there. I know that desperate times call for desperate measures, but that doesn't make it look any nicer. And they raised a nice question - do they themselves deserve to live while sending their children of to certain death? Too bad they didn't dwell on it much

Overall the character i sympathized the most with was Tsubaki... and with my luck she just had to die in the end as well I think i was dangerously close to tears when she broke down and said she wants to stay here before returning to her "container" ... which is quite a feat to achieve considering that i am not some one who is easily moved by things.

Although the plot had tons of similarities with Eva and RahXephon in particular at first, it didn't last once we got deeper in to the story. It introduced enough aspects that made it look original. Dark, depressing, quite deep, mysterious and making you think about morals, and with a sufficient closure - i liked the plot of the series.

The last battle was not something to my liking though, and it featured just the thing i was afraid of - our 4 heroes mowing down Festum like they were nothing until they got inside that building Yea, it looks cool i guess, but showing Kazuki spin around with his sword-arms and 8 or so Festums kicking the bucket around him was just lame

Music and animation was excellent (even though i didn't like the stripes beneath the character eyes and found the very distracting at first... but i think i managed to ignore them completely as time went on). Nice us of CG - they fit with the drawn animation and do not feel distracting or sticking out like a sore thumb, like it happens in a lot of other series.

Op and ED are very nice, and like how they played a piano version of the ED after an episode featuring character death. It has been a while since i watched the OP/ED during each episode.

Overall - a show that starts on rather shaky grounds and the jumpy first ep with abrupt event development doesn't help, but it gradually draws you in an keeps you glued to your seat with gradually revealing more and more information, while raising more questions at the same time. And it makes you feel for the characters. A very nice piece of angst... definitely went past my expectations, and is, imo, one of the best mecha shows i have seen. ... though the yaoi undertones were definitely not to my liking

8.5/10, because i am in a good mood today (and i will choose to forget about the inconsistencies concerned Festum "black holes" and how they function )
Old 2007-04-11, 19:45   Link #590
JediNight
キズランダム

I think that a lot of fans (myself included) thought Shouko's death was rather pointless. So while it was somewhat sad, it didn't really impact me as much as it should. Thats what happens when a character is killed off for the sake of "we should kill a character here" reasons. It just loses that emotional punch.

Shouko kinda jumps the shark personality-wise with that whole fight. Suddenly she turns berserker and goes to kill herself? Doesn't make much sense. Especially with Kazuki RIGHT there behind her. All she had to do was run around and delay the Festum a little bit longer.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:23   Link #591
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Shouko kinda jumps the shark personality-wise with that whole fight. Suddenly she turns berserker and goes to kill herself? Doesn't make much sense. Especially with Kazuki RIGHT there behind her. All she had to do was run around and delay the Festum a little bit longer.
Well... she wasn't the only one who develop some sort of a "different" personality while in Fafner.

Maya was unusually calm and emotionless while piloting it, yet she was trembling and scared when she got out afterwards.

Kondou was rather eager on piloting them, yet when inside he was constantly scared and whining.

Lets not talk about Mamoru

Sakura remained the same i think.

As for why she killed herself - she was already being assimilated and the ejection was not working ...so she could either let herself be assimilated or take out the Festum along with herself. (The original plan they came up was for her to let go and they would attack the Festum mid-air, but since she couldn't let go or eject...). Of course, the promise she made didn't help either... but at that moment she couldn't be saved anyway

...at any rate - i wonder why didn't Soushi inform Kazuki about this earlier ... or protecting that useless UN ship was more important for some mysterious reason? She could have been saved if Kazuki would have returned to base asap, instead of protecting that ship. I am not ruling out the possibility that, perhaps, Soushi wanted her to die. Right before that he told Kazuki not to get close to the others (for whatever reasons), and since Shouko was getting close to him...

But killing her of all the characters at that point was a huge waste her being gone took away a whole layer of complicatedness concerning the relationships in the gang... no one else dying at that point would have that effect, minus Kazuki himself
Old 2007-04-20, 04:25   Link #592
JediNight
キズランダム

Nah I'm talking before she even strapped herself to the Festum and rocketed up into the sky with it. She could have just screwed around with it on the ground for another couple minutes since Kazuki was incoming within a few minutes.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 07:28   Link #593
Auelneider252
Innovator

heh,nothing is going on here ?
so sad...
I 'm just start to watch this serie...
Many things interesting are coming ^^
Auelneider252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 20:06   Link #594
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Only one word to describe this anime. AMAZING AMAZING I haven't been touched like this in a very long time! An even bigger surprise coming from a mecha anime (gundam seed was close though). The series was extremely nice, as Skyfall said you could feel the depressing atmosphere from ep 6 onwards.. The cast seemed apparently large but was in fact quite small and made the deaths of some of them extremely potent. This show deserves a score of 100 out of 10. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Shouko's death came as unexpected, because i certainly was expecting her to stick around for a good while ... not to mention she was my favorite character at this point (Yes, i like the nice/polite terminally sick girl archetype *stares at Sig...* um...yea), and i certainly didn't want her to die.

That aside, her death was a wasted potential imo... if she really needed to be killed [DO NOT WANT] they could have saved a "major" character like her for later... let the relationship between her and Kazuki develop, give us more time to us to get attached to her character etc... much angst potential was missed (ye ye, i know - as if Fafner needs any more of that If they needed to off some one so early some one of the "side cast" would have been good for the job... but then again - i guess she was the only one at that time with a though that she must protect the island. I liked the fact she was not forgotten, and we had her name pop up every now and then.
I agree that Shouko's death was was unexpected, but you have to understand that the show, although having a hint of romance, wasn't based solely on it. I think the only thing Shouko would of done if she stuck around was to develop the whole, Kasugai/Kazuki/Maya relationship square. I wouldn't mind that, but it would of taken alot of time to develop properly (which detracts from the depressive, gloomy undertone of the other themes) or screw it up.

Although I was sad to see Shouko go, I didn't blame the writers for doing so.

Quote:
The atmosphere of the show was very gloomy, and the writers did a good job of conveying the feeling of hopelessness and impending doom to us. Every time i saw a sortie i got the feeling that i might not see some of them coming back. When we got one of the less gloomy episodes i just couldn't help but think "quiet before the storm". Kudos on the mood - very well managed.
Omg I know what you mean, when I watched the first few ep, I thought wow the mood seemed pretty laid back, but the contrast in mood later on in the ep was really potent compared to the first few ep. Makes you wonder, were they really that carefree a couple of ep back?

Quote:
A very strong set of characters as well. I found it quite interesting that the focus was rather on the "side cast" than on our main character. Actually, Kazuki got less screentime than i expected All in all the characters are sufficiently developed and don't feel like cardborad cut-outs. And they did a pretty good job at managing such a huge cast.
Interesting you say that, the cast was large but close knit, like a small island should be. Each cast gets a certain amount of screen time and as they kill them off, their deaths becomes so emotional.

Quote:
Soushi is an interesting character as well. At first i deemed him as a bastard and my biggest wish was for him to die (though i knew very well that wouldn't happen)... but i guess he wasn't as big of a jackass as i thought he was. The highlight for me was the scene showing him not taking the painkillers, in order to remember the pain of the pilots that died in the battle where he sent them, while himself sitting safely in the base.
Yeah didn't like Soushi too much.. The whole Yaoi thing going on between him and Kazuki didn't help either.

Quote:
Overall the character i sympathized the most with was Tsubaki... and with my luck she just had to die in the end as well I think i was dangerously close to tears when she broke down and said she wants to stay here before returning to her "container" ... which is quite a feat to achieve considering that i am not some one who is easily moved by things.
Yes YES!! That was exactly how I felt too. Tsubaki was really a sad character. Her existence to begin with was to be a core, but they just had to let her out and experience the fun things in life. When she was going back into Walkure's cave and then suddenly saying that she's scared...Made me bawl.

Tsubaki: I'm scared. Even though I was prepared for this.
Omg cried my eyes out.

Great series and I like your comment Skyfall. By the way if you liked the series then you have to watch the OVA skyfall. Dare I say it, the OVA was alot better (considering how good the series already is).

Spoiler for Don't Click Skyfall until you've watched the OVA:

EDIT: Can someone tell me what's the name of the song played at the end of the OVA?

Last edited by holyman282; 2007-12-03 at 20:52.
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 23:14   Link #595
kauldron26
Med Student

the anime really surprised me too. what surprised me even more was how amazingly powerful the OVA was. who thought 50 mins could contain so much raw emotion and insight on the human psyche
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 03:29   Link #596
Itsuki Midoriba
Yo.

To someone who hasn't been watching Mecha for a good while now, I deceded to pick up a copy of Fafner just about a month and a half ago. Yes. I know what's on your minds. "So long!?" I was first introduced to this genre by, of course, Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was like, an amazing piece of work. Then I followed up with Gundam SEED. And was utterly disappointed. So utterly disappointed. The characterization was a total nonsense. So when I heard about Fafner, I took a REALLY long time to pick it up because of one reason: The character designer was Hisashi Hirai, the same person behind the characterization of SEED. It was not until I picked up the novel, that I felt that, yes, even if the characterization was to fail, at least the plotline wasn't.

Goodness me, I was wrong on one count... characterization. For some unknown reason, Hisashi Hirai did extremely well where he failed in SEED. I start to think that it was
Spoiler for who?:
who spoiled SEED, not Hisashi Hirai.

It was absoultely fabulous. Everyone is carefully portrayed, unlike SEED, where it was...
Spoiler for guess!:
It was how it was supposed to be. Everyone on the island were close-knit, just like how a small island should be. Even with the size of the cast. Yes, it was that real; I came from Jeju Island in South Korea, and I must say that the relationship between the Tatsumiya residents are portrayed as how it should be.

Quote:
Yeah didn't like Soushi too much.. The whole Yaoi thing going on between him and Kazuki didn't help either.
The only one I disliked (not to the core as I do with Rin Tsuchimi from Shuffle) was Soushi. Seriously, I can't help but be rather put-off by Soushi's style. Yes, we know all about platonic friends... but that is really too far.

And of course, coming from SEED, I ABSOULETELY MAYA TOOMI. Yes.
I declare myself a rabid fan-boy of Maya Toomi.
She's just... loveable. I can't use words to explain.

Kazuki - OK, Hisashi Hirai really got me on this. He really made me do a double-take. I really thought he was Shinn Asuka! Everything about him was like Shinn. Innocent guy pulled into a war. Hold on... does that make Soushi... Rey?

Shouko - It was sad to see her leave. Really. But... oh well. I don't have an idea on what to say, either.

Yeah. It's a 20/20 for this one. I never gave anything above 16 till now.
Itsuki Midoriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 11:43   Link #597
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I agree that Shouko's death was was unexpected, but you have to understand that the show, although having a hint of romance, wasn't based solely on it. I think the only thing Shouko would of done if she stuck around was to develop the whole, Kasugai/Kazuki/Maya relationship square. I wouldn't mind that, but it would of taken alot of time to develop properly (which detracts from the depressive, gloomy undertone of the other themes) or screw it up.
Oh, it is not that i disapprove of the notion altogether Lies! I want her to live!, it is just that by doing it so early in the series the writers missed a good chance for even more drama. Considering i was fairly touched already, i can safely say the impact she could have left would have been a lot more if she were given more time to grow on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282
Great series and I like your comment Skyfall. By the way if you liked the series then you have to watch the OVA skyfall. Dare I say it, the OVA was alot better (considering how good the series already is).
Oh, i have watched the OVA. First thing i did after finishing the series. Needless to say, it only helped to amplify the depression caused by the events in the series.
Not sure if i would call it "better" than the series, but it sure made for a very good addition to expand the universe and give us an insight on how things were handled before. And it isn't a pretty sight. Tsubaki aside, this OVA featured the second scene where i had to fight back some manly tears -
Spoiler for Fafner OVA:

Of all the mecha shows i have watched this is easily among the better ones, right up there with Zegapain.
Old 2007-12-05, 15:15   Link #598
kauldron26
Med Student

i thought this was quite better than zegapain. i'd give zegapain an 8/10 and fafner a 8.5/10. i really liked the mechas in fafner.

Last edited by kauldron26; 2007-12-05 at 18:39.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 16:24   Link #599
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I rated both of those with 8.5, if that means anything. I don't really think it is all that fair to compare these two, because they are somewhat different in their approach and focus. Though i can see why one would prefer the mecha design in Fafner - it took some while for me to grow used to the design of Zegapain, but in the end both are high quality shows, and i wouldn't want to rate one over another. (And see no reason to do so anyway, because neither has any notably jarring flaws). I would highly suggest Zegapain to any mecha lover - that story has as much to offer as Fafner in its own right.
Old 2008-03-24, 05:54   Link #600
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

The ending with Kazuki and Soushi brought me to tears. Years later, half of me is wishing they'd create another OVA signaling their reunion, the other half is content with the the way it ended. Probably what sealed the deal for me was in fact, there was no Kazuki/Maya/Soushi love triangle; it was always about Kazu <--> Soushi. (More of this can be confirmed in the drama CDs, how they explained that Soushi's concern for Maya when she pilots had nothing to do with his personal feelings, and how they paralleled Kazuki's dad losing his beloved wife -> Kazuki losing Soushi.) Back to the topic at hand... confessions from a BL-friendly fan: it was probably the relationship that made the transition from Fangirl to Fan for me.

EDIT : You know, I could SWEAR I was in a discussion about Kazuki/Soushi/Maya with the others a few years ago. There were drama CD scripts being posted and everything, what happened to it? In fact, why was there a gap of a year in between 2004 and 2005 posts? O_O
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote