AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Old 2004-03-17, 19:25   Link #561
laurore31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisekinoumi
i was wondering how other japanese would respond to the interview.
It's the interview on my website. another Japanese woman answered it and after read it, kj reply by his (her) post, they are almost the same answers. but the things are said differently
laurore31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 20:12   Link #562
kisekinoumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurore31
It's the interview on my website. another Japanese woman answered it and after read it, kj reply by his (her) post, they are almost the same answers. but the things are said differently
i apologize if i wasn't being clear. i'll try to be clearer this time.
what i meant was: i read the interview before i saw kj's post. i looked at the one set of answers to those questions and thought to myself "hmm, how would other Japanese answer those questions? would they agree or disagree to the ladies' answers?". one person's opinions may not be correct, so i am glad kj agreed mostly with the ladies' answers.
kisekinoumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 20:42   Link #563
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Besides, I'm certain the TV studios do this on purpose for the following reasons:
A. "Why the heck should I give you airtime for something that is going to last 13-26 episodes? I have tons of other programs that have been showing for three~four years that get 20%+ ratings each viewing and you want me to cancel them! Ha!"
kj1980 You know, this is something I've always wondered about. Why does so much anime limit itself to under 26 episodes? One would think a long-running show could develop a much larger fan base and allow people to become more attached to the characters. Also, plot ideas could be explored to a much greater depth.

As it is, I often wonder if the anime studios get "burnt out" trying to come up with completely new stuff all the time. Again and again, for every new show they must start from scratch winning people over and finding an audience. Perhaps it's why so many well-established patterns show up (with obvious examples being cat-girls, maids, harem animes, and so on). I'd think they'd prefer to keep a popular show going rather than keep finding ways to remake it in a slightly different wrapper.

Of course I can see some benefits to a limited run series: it allows shows to have a better formed story "arc" (especially since many are manga adaptations already with a fixed story). Also, a long-running series can become stale or repetitive (though it's often just a failure to allow the story to grow over time). Still, even for just economic reasons alone, I'm surprised such short series are the rule rather than the exception.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 21:40   Link #564
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I generally prefer shorter series because they don't have any filler episodes. When you have only 13 episodes everything has to be tight or else you can't tell the story.

Of course 12-13 episodes isn't enough to tell every story even without filler. Just look at how Shingetsutan Tsukihime was messed up by not having enough episodes to tell the whole story. That show needed 26 episodes to cover its full plot and character development. Last Exile was certainly perfect at 26 episodes without even a single episode of filler.

Each show should be allowed to come in at its own length, but I have never seen a show of greater than 26 episodes that doesn't have filler. The longer the show, the lazier the storytelling tends to be. Keeping MariMite in multiple 13 episode seasons might be the perfect compromise since it ensures a greater focus while allowing the story to continue growing past the end of each story arc.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 21:59   Link #565
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
kj1980 You know, this is something I've always wondered about. Why does so much anime limit itself to under 26 episodes? One would think a long-running show could develop a much larger fan base and allow people to become more attached to the characters. Also, plot ideas could be explored to a much greater depth.

As it is, I often wonder if the anime studios get "burnt out" trying to come up with completely new stuff all the time. Again and again, for every new show they must start from scratch winning people over and finding an audience. Perhaps it's why so many well-established patterns show up (with obvious examples being cat-girls, maids, harem animes, and so on). I'd think they'd prefer to keep a popular show going rather than keep finding ways to remake it in a slightly different wrapper.

Of course I can see some benefits to a limited run series: it allows shows to have a better formed story "arc" (especially since many are manga adaptations already with a fixed story). Also, a long-running series can become stale or repetitive (though it's often just a failure to allow the story to grow over time). Still, even for just economic reasons alone, I'm surprised such short series are the rule rather than the exception.
On average, anime production costs range around 30,000,000 yen per episode (it maybe a bit exaggerated but its somewhere around there). Without a major sponsor (who usually backs "profitable" shows like "ONE PIECE" and "Naruto"), anime companies can only do 13 episodes financially - at most 26 episodes. Which is rather good as it is just about the seasonal showings.

Second - you have tons of anime companies here in Japan that want "a piece of the action." Currently, there are over 60+ anime shows on air in Japan right now. If all of them ran for 26+ episodes, you don't have elbow room to squeeze in more shows. However, if the majority runs for 13 episodes, the circulation of new anime is quicker and supposedly more efficient.

On the other hand, there are too many anime shows. It's great that a lot of anime companies are jumping on the bandwagon to take a bite of the forbidden fruit. Yet, it's also only a matter of time until they realize that the more bits are taken, the quicker they are to reach the rotten core. Simply stating:

A. More anime companies
B. More anime
C. But limited TV stations and broadcast schedules
D. Increased competition for anime companies to surive
E. Lesser episodes, more anime
F. Repeat from A

Do you see the problem here? Increase anime companies, increase anime shows. But there is one control here that is stationary - there is only a limited amount of TV stations (sure there are technically more if you add all the UHF, BS, and CS channels) with only 24 hours each day. And though this may come to a shock for you - but Japan does not show anime on TV stations 24/7! A rough estimate is that only 10-15% of the day is reserved for anime on a particular TV station.

As for "being burnt out" - no. Why? Because writers and scripters get their salary by means of royalties. I don't know about other countries, but for anime writers and scripters they are given two choices: A. Get a standardized salary each month, or B. Forgive the salary and take the royalties in a lump payment several months later. Many opt for B because...hey, would you rather get paid 120,000 yen each month or receive a huge one lump payment of 1,200,000 yen six months later for each time you make an anime?

If you want the money, work your ass off. That is what being an animator is - you kill yourself for a job that you chose to be a part of the industry. And trust me, you do not want to become an animator unless you have the courage and guts to go through hell - because I personally won't survive a week, nor would I want to imagine starting as a genga artist making a meagerly 50,000 yen per month on an enslavement of limited time constraints. 50,000 yen!! I can't even pay rent with that!

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-05-09 at 03:04.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 22:58   Link #566
Lanimoo
Disabled By Request

Angry

-_- :sigh:

artists have never gotten what they deserved... its sad but thats how life works. cliches make the most money, pokemon, beyblade, yugi-oh, etc.
Lanimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 23:07   Link #567
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Each show should be allowed to come in at its own length, but I have never seen a show of greater than 26 episodes that doesn't have filler. The longer the show, the lazier the storytelling tends to be.
I'd agree that often happens. However, to me "filler episodes" are almost an artifact of the predestined plot of a limited run show. For example, when was the last time you heard someone complain of filler in a long-running U.S. show like MASH, Sinefield or Friends? Sure they may eventually "jump the shark" and not be entertaining anymore, but that's something else altogether. Being episodic isn't, in and of itself, bad.

Granted, I think story arcs are one of the things Western viewers generally like about anime - it's something often missing from the shows we're used to. However, balance is a good too, and sometimes I think an overreaching plot can bog a anime comedy or "slice-of-life" drama down. These shows are often at their best when they just drop their characters into different situations and let them react (think Azumanga Daioh)

Quote:
On average, anime production costs range around 30,000,000 yen per episode (it maybe a bit exaggerated but its somewhere around there). Without a major sponsor (who usually backs "profitable" shows like "ONE PIECE" and "Naruto"), anime companies can only do 13 episodes financially - at most 26 episodes.
I guess that's why I wondered, when a show does become a "hit", why are they still willing to end it so soon? A second season of a show already proven popular wouldn't have such a hard time attracting sponsorship I'd think.

Quote:
As for "being burnt out" - no. Why? Because writers and scripters get their salary by means of royalties. I don't know about other countries, but for anime writers and scripters they are given two choices: A. Get a standardized salary each month, or B. Forgive the salary and take the royalties in a lump payment several months later. Many opt for B because...hey, would you rather get paid 120,000 yen each month or receive a huge one lump payment of 1,200,000 yen six months later for each time you make an anime?
Interesting! I think in the U.S. for example, a writer or actor may get royalties if it's in their contract, but it would be per-show. They'd wind up making as much for 200 shows of the same series as they would from say, 25 shows each from 8 different series. In fact, since royalties are paid each time an episode is re-run or purchased, they'd likely do better with a long running popular series than several different short series, some of which may not be as successful as others.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 23:18   Link #568
JokerD

Err... just a question, who is touko, I've seen her name crop up a few time but I don't know who she is. Someone please enlighten me. Thx
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 03:32   Link #569
Göönk
Macross fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD
Err... just a question, who is touko, I've seen her name crop up a few time but I don't know who she is. Someone please enlighten me. Thx
She's a Japanese girl who answered some questions about the show. You can read Laurore31 interview here :

http://mariamite.free.fr/maria_article_eng.htm

it's availlable in "Fulansu" as well
Göönk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 09:04   Link #570
pkgirl163

Send a message via AIM to pkgirl163 Send a message via MSN to pkgirl163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD
She is one of the new first-year students who appear when Yumi, Shimako, and Yoshino are second-year students. I believe she is one of the girls who wants to become Yumi's petite soeur, and she has a funny-looking hairstyle--she has two spiral-shaped ponytails that some people think look like drills.
pkgirl163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 16:09   Link #571
laurore31

i just saw the 11th episode (raw).
and this episode brokes my heart, I cried for Sei and her story. i would like to know what appened in details, but with the video and several japanese words that we know we can understand... I can't defined my feelings in english, gomene, but I couldn't stop my tears. poor Sei :-(
Old 2004-03-18, 16:27   Link #572
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurore31
i just saw the 11th episode (raw).
and this episode brokes my heart, I cried for Sei and her story. i would like to know what appened in details, but with the video and several japanese words that we know we can understand... I can't defined my feelings in english, gomene, but I couldn't stop my tears. poor Sei :-(
Honestly, this episode felt a bit too rushed (much like the others, i.e. "Rosa Canina"). Or maybe I just feel this way because I read the novel. Or, probably because it made no sense whatsoever to put this story after the Valentine's Day story.

I was wondering who would be doing Sei's grand souer - and hey! it was Takayama Minami!

Well, I guess we are going back to the Valentine's dating event from next week. Blue jeans and fast-food hamburger with Sachiko-sama.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 16:34   Link #573
Kourin

Episode 11 Spoilers:
Spoiler:

That's it for ep 11. Hope pkgirl163 and me covered everything in there.

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-03-18 at 21:12. Reason: Added spoiler tags ...
Kourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 19:06   Link #574
Lanimoo
Disabled By Request

Question

question about ep 11 and the novel:
Spoiler:
Lanimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 19:30   Link #575
lordwu

Quote:
Honestly, this episode felt a bit too rushed (much like the others, i.e. "Rosa Canina"). Or maybe I just feel this way because I read the novel. Or, probably because it made no sense whatsoever to put this story after the Valentine's Day story.
Yeah, it's definitely too rushed. It didn't actually bring out why Sei fell in love with Shiori and how. And I didn't feel enough of Sei's angst in ep.11.....ah well...
lordwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 23:46   Link #576
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Okay, after seeing episode 11, Who wants to join Youko fans club?
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 03:46   Link #577
sparrow
spontaneous comedian

Send a message via ICQ to sparrow
not yet
now, she does looks like being jealous all over Shiori in a way, or maybe it's just me
somehow, it's amazing that Sei is like getting all the girls in the show like in one of those stupid 4koma story ;D

and that Rei has been worked as Yamayurikai's chef since her first year is one of the smiling scene also ^^

OT: Kourin-san's quote looks a bit troubled, using the vBulletin template and Opera 7
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:08   Link #578
aniforever

ahh i love sei. i want to see ep 11 so bad. wait so that mean it's gonna end in another 3 ep including ep 11. anybody knows if season two will come right after one or we have to wait like months before it'll come out. please don't tell me i have to wait a year then i'll seriously kill myself.
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:32   Link #579
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
prepare to die.. harharhar but seriously, if there is a 2nd season, it is likely to follow into like next fall or spring season.
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 21:51   Link #580
laurore31

Quote:

I was wondering who would be doing Sei's grand souer - and hey! it was Takayama Minami!

Well, I guess we are going back to the Valentine's dating event from next week. Blue jeans and fast-food hamburger with Sachiko-sama.
you are right, their love story is short (in only one episode), so we don't have time to appreciate Shiori. those which did not read the novel (I think), cannot like her! we can only hate her (according to episode information).

On the other hand, this episode is interesting since it tells the past of Sei. I liked her elder sister much. But Shiori ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniforever
ahh i love sei. i want to see ep 11 so bad. wait so that mean it's gonna end in another 3 ep including ep 11. anybody knows if season two will come right after one or we have to wait like months before it'll come out. please don't tell me i have to wait a year then i'll seriously kill myself.
it is not official information yet. onyl rumours are heard. I think we will not have it in one month. do not die ; it would be stupid to miss the second season