Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-29, 20:23   Link #1
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Azumanga Diaoh DVD release date set!

The great Azumanga diaoh DVD release date by ADV has been set to april 28 the standard dvd are 29.95 USD+tax retail price and dvd 1 with box are 49.95 USD! GET READY GET PUMPED! And if you can't wait that long then check out Yotsuba and! by the same creator Azuma Kiyohiko! Its about this hyper active space cadet little girl. In other words.. chia's cuttness, osaka's absentmindedness and Tomo's Hyperactiveness ALL IN ONE! His brand new manga YOu can download scanlations here!
http://home.nc.rr.com/momotato/yotsubato.html Chapters 8 and 9 have just come out!
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 21:06   Link #2
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckme10
The great Azumanga diaoh DVD release date by ADV has been set to april 28 the standard dvd are 29.95 USD+tax retail price and dvd 1 with box are 49.95 USD! GET READY GET PUMPED! And if you can't wait that long then check out Yotsuba and! by the same creator Azuma Kiyohiko! Its about this hyper active space cadet little girl. In other words.. chia's cuttness, osaka's absentmindedness and Tomo's Hyperactiveness ALL IN ONE! His brand new manga YOu can download scanlations here!
http://home.nc.rr.com/momotato/yotsubato.html Chapters 8 and 9 have just come out!
DVD + box is 39.99

link
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 23:15   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

How many eps per DVD, does anyone know? And wasn't Azumanga Daioh licensed looooooong ago? You mean the DVDs are only now coming out?
Old 2004-03-01, 02:27   Link #4
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
How many eps per DVD, does anyone know? And wasn't Azumanga Daioh licensed looooooong ago? You mean the DVDs are only now coming out?
Yeah, Azu was licensed a little over a year ago. ADV is not as fast as Pioneer or Media Blasters.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 06:14   Link #5
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Yeah, Azu was licensed a little over a year ago. ADV is not as fast as Pioneer or Media Blasters.
you can't blame them for it since it going to have ADVnote on it.
Old 2004-03-01, 07:03   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
And wasn't Azumanga Daioh licensed looooooong ago?
As mentioned, just over 10 months ago. Announced at AnimeBoston over the Easter weekend last year (which was 18th April 2003).

So, not really long, near enough one year from being announced to the DVDs being available in the shops. Looking forward to this release
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 09:01   Link #7
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
you can't blame them for it since it going to have ADVnote on it.
Azumanga will NOT have AD Vid Notes on it. They opted to use printed liner notes.

Vid Notes are only really good for obscure, one-shot cultural gags. Azumanga uses more popular cultural references that you're better off learning about in other ways. That's why the Vid Notes are used for shows like Excel Saga or Abenobashi, but not Azumanga.

There's also no room for complaint with ADV's release schedule, considering they still put out more DVDs total per month than every other anime company combined.
Old 2004-03-01, 10:15   Link #8
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
Azumanga will NOT have AD Vid Notes on it. They opted to use printed liner notes.

Vid Notes are only really good for obscure, one-shot cultural gags. Azumanga uses more popular cultural references that you're better off learning about in other ways. That's why the Vid Notes are used for shows like Excel Saga or Abenobashi, but not Azumanga.

There's also no room for complaint with ADV's release schedule, considering they still put out more DVDs total per month than every other anime company combined.
I thought I heard on animeondvd.com that they using it for osaka's word and action.oh well i could be wrong.

I agree with you that there should be no complaint about adv's release schedule.They are release alot more than any other company is release.
Old 2004-03-01, 12:30   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

I'm not complaining. I was just under the impression that the DVDs were already out. I guess this explains why I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet. And no one answered my question: how many eps per DVD?
Old 2004-03-01, 12:38   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Does anyone know if they've dubbed Azumanga Daioh?

I was recently watching the previews on my Abenobashi DVD and
noticed that the Azumanga preview used the original Japanese
dialogue. This has made me rather curious as, to the best of my
knowledge and experience, ADV tends to have any and all dialogue
used in their previews in English. Does anyone know anything about
this?

NOTE: I emailed ADV about this but they haven't been very forthcoming
with a response... Almost a month now.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 13:08   Link #11
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Does anyone know if they've dubbed Azumanga Daioh?

I was recently watching the previews on my Abenobashi DVD and
noticed that the Azumanga preview used the original Japanese
dialogue. This has made me rather curious as, to the best of my
knowledge and experience, ADV tends to have any and all dialogue
used in their previews in English. Does anyone know anything about
this?

NOTE: I emailed ADV about this but they haven't been very forthcoming
with a response... Almost a month now.
Since ADV's releasing this, I'm pretty sure both English dub and original audio will be present. And can someone please change the title of the thread? It's Azumanga Daioh, not Diaoh. (Though Azumanga Diaho would make an interesting Photoshop picture )
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 15:29   Link #12
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

The latest trailer of the show is dubbed.

It's a six-disc release, so I'm guessing it'll have the same episode count as the Japanese release.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 15:40   Link #13
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
The latest trailer of the show is dubbed.

It's a six-disc release, so I'm guessing it'll have the same episode count as the Japanese release.
From what I heard from the stuido reps is that they planning to do one school year for two disc.That make it six disc(three year)
Old 2004-03-02, 02:15   Link #14
GreenTze

Send a message via AIM to GreenTze
why sis it suddenly dip in price? it went from $39.99 to $23.99. strange
GreenTze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 06:32   Link #15
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTze
why sis it suddenly dip in price? it went from $39.99 to $23.99. strange
If you look hard enough you get get it less than that.$23.99 is the online prices and 39.99 is the retailer prices.
Old 2004-03-20, 12:41   Link #16
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
Azumanga Daioh Dub

So i picked up the april edition of newtype yesterday and much the my delight they have included the first ep of Azumanga Daioh on the dvd with both japanese and english audio tracks. I rushed home and placed the disc in my dvd tray, selected the dubbed version from the menu and prepared for the worst.

It started off pretty badly with the guy who was helping Yukari with her bike chain. He had a terribly annoying voice. Fortunately I waited through that and was pleasently surprised by the rest of the episode. All of the dubbing for the main characters does not suck. In fact it is pretty good.

As many people have been predicting, they have given Osaka a souther accent but fortunately its not like the obnoxious one used for Kitsune in the Love Hina dub. Tomo has a pretty good dub actress who captures her energy perfectly....by far my favourite out of all of them. Chiyos cuteness has made a pretty good transition to english and they even kept her tongue twister scene completely intact. I was worried they would go and use rubber baby buggy bumpers or something but they have actually translated the original japanese one to english without butchering it.

I think ADV realized what they were getting into when they licensed this anime and as a result are putting for more effort into the translation of this series. The end result is an enjoyable localization for north american audiences with only a few cultural references being changed up to this point. I would say it is about as good as it could possibly be and many times better than what i was expecting. I may even rewatch the entire series dubbed.

Please understand that this assessment of the dub is based only on the first episode and i am in no way responsible if they mess it upp after the first 5 eps.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 12:46   Link #17
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
So i picked up the april edition of newtype yesterday and much the my delight they have included the first ep of Azumanga Daioh on the dvd with both japanese and english audio tracks. I rushed home and placed the disc in my dvd tray, selected the dubbed version from the menu and prepared for the worst.

It started off pretty badly with the guy who was helping Yukari with her bike chain. He had a terribly annoying voice. Fortunately I waited through that and was pleasently surprised by the rest of the episode. All of the dubbing for the main characters does not suck. In fact it is pretty good.

As many people have been predicting, they have given Osaka a souther accent but fortunately its not like the obnoxious one used for Kitsune in the Love Hina dub. Tomo has a pretty good dub actress who captures her energy perfectly....by far my favourite out of all of them. Chiyos cuteness has made a pretty good transition to english and they even kept her tongue twister scene completely intact. I was worried they would go and use rubber baby buggy bumpers or something but they have actually translated the original japanese one to english without butchering it.

I think ADV realized what they were getting into when they licensed this anime and as a result are putting for more effort into the translation of this series. The end result is an enjoyable localization for north american audiences with only a few cultural references being changed up to this point. I would say it is about as good as it could possibly be and many times better than what i was expecting. I may even rewatch the entire series dubbed.

Please understand that this assessment of the dub is based only on the first episode and i am in no way responsible if they mess it upp after the first 5 eps.
I agree with you that they choose the wrong VA for Yukari.but everyone else was pretty fited their roles.Chiyo-chan sound perfectly when she do the cooking part.I hope they keep up the good work.
Old 2004-03-20, 13:15   Link #18
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
The end result is an enjoyable localization for north american audiences with only a few cultural references being changed up to this point.
How were the subs? Did they change the cultural references there?
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 13:21   Link #19
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
How were the subs? Did they change the cultural references there?
I don't know about the sub but I know that in the dvd version there is a 12 page color booklet that talk all about cultural references.So who knows
Old 2004-03-20, 13:28   Link #20
spav
Wavemaster

How did they show Yukari is an english teacher. I think in the manga for a while they showed her as a spanish teacher.
spav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life