AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-20, 03:57   Link #701
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Technically, it's not necessary to know any of this background information. The real problem with Macross Zero is that it works primarily on a metaphysical level and it purposefully verges away from the down-to-earth of most of the other works. Zero's narrative isn't quite strong enough to pull this trick off, and as a result, it's graphics greatly outstrip its storytelling.
That's why I said the OVA works primarily in the way of introducing viewers to the Veritech Fighters, because that's what it essentially does, including the introduction of Roy Fokker. And I personally have no problem with the metaphysical storyline. Though I wish the Frontier show sheds some light on other alien races including the bird-alien-thing. Seeing as it's all canon, I'm sure there has to be a connecting thread there. But the OVA by itself, is a bit removed from the rest of the lore. That's why I think the VF introduction is the main draw of that in itself. Plus and others, it's more like an extension and modernization of the older pop-idol Macross storylines. Just totally different approaches.

Quote:
The Macross shows are separate enough from each other that you can safely skip any of them.
Same with most Gundam shows, though I'd argue that the general high quality of Macross shows mandates a watch of most, if not all of them. I have the same opinion on Gundam shows actually.

Quote:
For sure, many of us aren't going to care about how SDF Macross looks. And in fact, I find that a lot of the animation choice it made are still fairly innovative today. However, that doesn't apply for everyone, and the abject failure of Mobile Suit Gundam is proof that an awful lot of people just aren't interested in older works.
Which is a shame, but from all aspects, I do think Macross runs a tigher boat than Mobile Suit Gundam did (notwithstanding its incredibly soap-opera-ish moments that is considerably toned down for Macross in comparison).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Macross 7 has been quite the polarizing series among Macross fans. Others adore it, the rest pretty much dislike it. I find it hard to recommend to a newcomer who has no background knowledge of the franchise in the first place, since I too feel somewhat ambivalent towards it.
I'd say that Macross 7 (again, like with ZZ Gundam), should be a completionist's thing. If you are not a completionist, then don't bother.

If there's anything that I would say is a 'must skip' type of show for Macross, it'd be Macross 2. Absolutely no reason to watch it. I'd even recommend Robotech over it, easily.

Quote:
In my opinion, a good starting point for any hesitating newcomer would still be the movie, DYRL. The overall plot may be different, but the main gist or idea remains intact in crystalized form. (Not to mention, it's newer and prettier too, and thus "more watchable" in this day and age.) It also doesn't require the viewer to spend a lot of time compared to watching an entire series. If the movie impresses and interests the viewer, then by all means go for the main series. Come to think of it, ADV has made a new release of the first Macross (read: not Robotech), and hopefully it's not that difficult to find.

Now Macross Plus on the other hand, is simply a gem. The robots really take a backseat to the main story, which is essentially all about Isamu, Myung and Guld's relationship. In this sense, I don't think anyone will be that troubled of jumping right in.
I agree with DYRL. Hate to make another Gundam referencing here, but the Gundam movies essentially did the same thing. Chop down a 50 episode show down to three movies. While Macross movie does it for a lot quicker.

And it's strange with Macross Plus for me since the whole thing felt rather strange to me. It's essentially a minor, minor skirmish with the Ghost as the big trouble maker. It'd be like a super-powered Ball of Gundam series running amok and causing havoc toward Gundams Then again, 08th MS team was essentially the Macross Plus of Gundam lore, replete with a rampaging Ball.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 09:01   Link #702
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
If there's anything that I would say is a 'must skip' type of show for Macross, it'd be Macross 2. Absolutely no reason to watch it. I'd even recommend Robotech over it, easily.

what?! WHHAAT?! HERETIC! BURN THE HERETIC! BUUUUUURRRNNNNN!!!

purge the robotech filth!

*burns SuperKnuckles at the alter of SDF-1*

The only time i'll recommend Robotech is over my dead body.

Plus Macross II, is quite enjoyable. it was a different experience seeing a conflict though a civilian/non-combatant eyes.
Old 2008-01-20, 13:09   Link #703
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
I happen to agree with superknuckles that macross zero is the best start for the series, Macross Plus does not explain any major aspect of the macross univurse, it does not even explain the zentradi race, it is by far a great anime but it depends on the viewers historical knowledge of the macross world. but it has the advantage if you just want to watch a good aircraft/mecha anime without really careing about the big picture. macross plus is simply to narrow for a newcomer to be introduced by it into the macross world.
Quite true. But on reflection, it doesn't really have to. Every Macross show gives the viewer enough background on what's going on that you don't really have to have seen any other works. The only real exception is Do You Remember Love, where much the background isn't touched on, and the viewer is dropped right into the action.

On reflection, Macross Frontier does a great job of this. The narration is very short, but it covers the highlights, and I'm sure that any other relevant points will get filled in as they come up. The main difference is that viewers who've seen more Macross works will get a richer experience from seeing all the nifty bits that have been carried over.

Quote:
i believe that your saying that any are skippable is that they are each an independant story that can be viewed seperatley, but macross 7 is totally skippable since it does not provide any significant new angle into the macross world. other than song energy and proto-devlin. plus it was the least "macrossy" of all the macross created until this moment. SDF, PLUS, ZERO are Defintly not skippable.
They're skippable in the sense that you won't be missing out on the story if you haven't seen a previous work. In a way, I even think that SDF Macross is skippable since it happened so long ago by 2059 that they're effectively historical events. And as Emilia said, she can't even be certain it happened the way that she was told.

Quote:
That's why I said the OVA works primarily in the way of introducing viewers to the Veritech Fighters, because that's what it essentially does, including the introduction of Roy Fokker. And I personally have no problem with the metaphysical storyline. Though I wish the Frontier show sheds some light on other alien races including the bird-alien-thing. Seeing as it's all canon, I'm sure there has to be a connecting thread there. But the OVA by itself, is a bit removed from the rest of the lore. That's why I think the VF introduction is the main draw of that in itself. Plus and others, it's more like an extension and modernization of the older pop-idol Macross storylines. Just totally different approaches.
Its nifty in a fan way, I don't think that it was really necessary to see how the VFs were introduced. Ditto for Roy.

Quote:
Which is a shame, but from all aspects, I do think Macross runs a tigher boat than Mobile Suit Gundam did (notwithstanding its incredibly soap-opera-ish moments that is considerably toned down for Macross in comparison).
I completely agree. SDF Macross drew me in like few other shows do, but unfortunately that doesn't keep it from being a 25-year old show. It's the same reason why a lot of great older shows get overlooked by viewers. At least Macross has enough exposure outside of Japan that there's a significant amount of nostalgia for it (which would explain why SDF Macross sold decently).

Quote:
I agree with DYRL. Hate to make another Gundam referencing here, but the Gundam movies essentially did the same thing. Chop down a 50 episode show down to three movies. While Macross movie does it for a lot quicker.
The problem is that they cut out a lot of background that was essential to the movie itself. The difference between Do You Remember Love and the Gundam movies is that the former is meant for people who have seen the original while the latter is largely meant to replace watching the original.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-01-20 at 22:56.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 22:01   Link #704
sheebo

heres for hoping that macross frontier is a great anime (hopefully theres a zentradi character stashed somewhere) and that it dominates the viewer charts in japan and outside
sheebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 22:40   Link #705
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

thing about DYRL movie was that it was edited and created by the "Hollywood" of the Macross Universe.

So if you have watched the original series, you will noticed a number different things.

It's like watching a movie about "Alexander the Great" by hollywood.

don't expect it to be the same as the "real" thing.

Love the way the subtle bias tone they had in it, personally if you can stand watching the TV series, watch DYRL movie instead.

hell thats we do these days, don't bother watching the documentaries on history channel justgo watch "Pearl Harbour" at the cinema, that'll do!

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2008-01-21 at 01:11.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 23:12   Link #706
Atkascha

I guess I'll list my version of shows in order of what to watch.

Macross and DYRL, both are basically a must. It's what started everything. I prefer DYRL simply because it's shorter. Saying that, I did watch the whole Macross series firstly beforehand. And it's probably a better worth to watch DYRL after. There are a lot of things left out by DYRL, obviously for it's length, but far too many things. I never liked Minmei's cousin and I was glad not to have to watch through the whole "fighting is bad and aliens are trying to kill us all, but fight for my survival cause it's your job and I'll hide here and keep saying fighting is bad just cause I'm a pansy" and the whole "love steal" ordeal in DYRL. However, it made more of an impression watching the original, seeing how Minmei practically suffered from his greed and how fustrated she became to the point she wanted Hikaru back to herself, though a tad too late. And a few things don't align right in DYRL, which is why watching the original, even if it's just to get a sense of the true storyline is a must.

Macross 2 was probably the first Macross I was exposed to. It in itself isn't too bad of a show. Doesn't fit into the canon but it's nice to watch after the original series.

Flashback is probably best for when you're suffering from Minmei withdrawls, especially after watching Ishtar. Cause you know Plus is all Sharon Apple.

Plus is one of those eye candy shows. Doesn't explain anything new but it does introduce us to the YF-19/21 and X-9 Ghost.

7 was quite something. A rather... unique sort of show. Probably best noted for Max and Miria's reappearance. That and it introduced us to our first look at the New Macross Class flagship's in the series. And the fleet, everyone loves fleets with mass amounts of VF's flying by. Basically 7 better shows us how far in advancement humanity had moved as Plus did very little aside from a few scenes from the Captain's floor and of the Earth defense fleet. From the North Hampton Stealth frigates to the Uraga's to the VF-17's to the introduction of the VF-19/21's into the fleet. The singing could be skipped all together as I was tricked by the pink-haired Mylene cover girl and all I got was a face full of Basara. Well, it had it's moments. Adds depth to the canon regardless.

Zero, as previously stated, doesn't really introduce anything new to the storyline. More or less, it's another eye candy show for the average Macross fan. Watching Zero from the beginning, well I can't say it's the best way to go. It's one of the more, "Oh, I remember this and that" sort of show. Roy was well introduced in the original Macross, just having him appear again and seeing the new VF-01 is a treat by comparison.

Frontier, by it's first episode, is probably a show you shouldn't venture into unless you're somewhat well acquainted with the Macross series as a whole. There's a bit too many references to the older shows. Nyan Nyan, Isamu's hand gestures, the entire fleet is a revamped Macross 7 fleet, VF-17's, X-9 Ghosts, pinpoint barriers, etc. Definately a lot of rich details, and better appreciated by those who do notice them. Passing the fine detail by is missing the gravy of the works.
Atkascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 23:56   Link #707
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
hey even if hte plot sucked ass watch macross 7 for the music

bomber!

(good OST)

the show is guitar hero meets Vfs meets Macross universe

wtf meter is sky high

as for the best way to watch it, completely chronologically

Macross 0-----> Dyrl/Macross----> plus----> 7-----> macross 7 dynamite

Last edited by FLCL; 2008-01-21 at 00:11.
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 01:22   Link #708
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

while you can watch Macross Frontier without watching the original series, i suspect there will be moments where new viewers will go, "eh? I don't get that" because of some internal reference.

It'll be a bit like Diebuster/Topo wo nerae 2 , so many people at the end kept going: "eh?! what was the two lights.....about? eh?"

You don't want to rub it in, and you don't want to sound elitist and arrogant but
its enough to drive anyone insane whe nyou keep hearing the questions.

I swear, if we get a forum, we gotta put down a "Q&A" thread with a few pointers referencing back to te original series to help stop the same questions.

cos seriously, this series is definitely going to be pulling a lot of new colonist to the macross universe once they see the wonderful eye candy action.

:3
Old 2008-01-21, 06:18   Link #709
sheebo

well if someone is interested in something and does not have the time or effort to watch a series for a specific reason then wikipeadia is a good place to look for the "thing he doesnt get"
Old 2008-01-21, 06:58   Link #710
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
well if someone is interested in something and does not have the time or effort to watch a series for a specific reason then wikipeadia is a good place to look for the "thing he doesnt get"

talking from experience?

but you have a point, but there is a limit to Wikipedia, some anime wiki pages explain everything and you can practically get all the details you need.

on the other hand it can go completely the opposite.

it depends on the series.

luckily, macross has about three major sites that explains a *%$! loads of information in Macross.

Frankly if you can't find them with google, don't even bother with wikipedia.
Old 2008-01-21, 20:50   Link #711
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

New Macross Frontier wallpapers.

1280x1024

1600x1200

pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:32   Link #712
Atkascha

Frontier eye candy! Thanks for the uploads.
Atkascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 01:20   Link #713
asgiov

So when does episode 2 air?
Never been big into Macross but I really liked the first episode of this.
Looking foward to what happens next.

Also, is this gonna be like a full all out series with like 20+ episodes?
asgiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:22   Link #714
sheebo

i believe it will be 26 episodes (the standard 1 season size), although i wish its 52.
Old 2008-01-22, 04:14   Link #715
4Tran

Quote:
i believe it will be 26 episodes (the standard 1 season size), although i wish its 52.
To be honest, I feel that the shorter length will help them avoid production problems and streamline the show. For example, a lot of Macross 7 could have been trimmed to make it flow better.
Old 2008-01-22, 05:09   Link #716
asgiov

Quote:
sounds good to me.
Hopefully that'll give them a chance to do some good character and story development.
So no ideas when the 2nd episode comes out?
asgiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 05:34   Link #717
sheebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgiov View Post
sounds good to me.
Hopefully that'll give them a chance to do some good character and story development.
So no ideas when the 2nd episode comes out?
true, but what i really dont understand as a macross addict, why are there no macross manga which the anime can be based on?
Old 2008-01-22, 06:56   Link #718
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
To be honest, I feel that the shorter length will help them avoid production problems and streamline the show. For example, a lot of Macross 7 could have been trimmed to make it flow better.
I think streamlining is a bit overrated nowadays. Especially when most shows are content to drag it out for a decade (Full Metal Panic..) to something like Gundam 00 and Code Geass which will take intervals of 26 episodes.

Frankly, even if a 26 episode break of 52 eps will result in a months long delay and cliffhanger, I think that is a good buffer for high quality without letting it drag on. I think the anime industry has learned that taking a break could be a good thing. Almost like how it's done on American sitcom/drama TV seasons with the constant seasonal breaks to re-inject some freshness to them.

I mean, the first ep of Frontier already made us wait four months. If it'll take that much to make a high quality 50 episode series, then I'd rather see that than something trimmed down. I think it'd be a disservice after the 50 episode bunch we got from Macross 7. I'm not sure shorter airtime would've made M7 any better personally.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 10:03   Link #719
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I just hope that the number of episodes is such that the plot and character development remains strong and we get great video fanservice like episode 1. Also since it's Macross those songs have to be great too.

I don't particularly care if it's 26 or 52 with a season break.
Old 2008-01-22, 10:20   Link #720
sheebo

well i believe that if macross F was based on a macross F manga we wouldnt have this problem of the anime being streteched or shortened from 26 to 52 episodes.
it would really help if someone could help explain why macross produces a series every 5 years (for every ocasion 10 years/15/20/25 years and so on)?
I cant keep waiting DECADES for a new series !!

Tags
action, romance