AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-26, 07:39   Link #401
Yttrasil

Well i've been thinking about the ear and eye business. It feels as if the ear would easily be the best thing to take but then imagine how often you use and need both ears, listening to music and so on in comparison to when you need both your eyes which isn't that often. Except in some sports that is but of course it feels alot more freightening losing an eye and also imagine what people would think if they saw you without an eye a fake eye that really makes the choise quite easy. But just going blind on one of them makes it another matter imo then I seriously need to start thinking about what can I use with the least amount of penalty... still leaning towards the ear though
Yttrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 07:43   Link #402
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The thing is actually, the eye contraption has a much worse aspect than the ear's.
Having that thing covering your sight has downright a stronger stressful effect than on the ear I believe.
and seriously, feeling the pin coming, despite the eye cannot see that is not really a joke...

On long term, the loss of hearing might be worse, but on short term, the trial with the eye is the thing you would like to avoid at any cost.
Old 2008-01-26, 08:14   Link #403
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
If Tonegawa loses, I bet he'll do it sarcastically or just go through the motions. I somehow can't see Tonegawa lose his cool as jaded and callous as he is.

As for the OST, the vast majority of the soundtrack is amazing stuff. I agree that it's a HUGE step up from Akagi, which was way more in the background in comparison. Lots of silly/weird sounds in Kaiji and it's just awesome that way. ZAWA ZAWA
Yeah, he probably wouldn't do it properly, I assume as much as well. Kaiji is in no position to force him anyway, even if he does win. "Zawa Zawa" is simply awesome.

About the eye versus ear thing, I definitely agree that there's a lot more psychological pressure if you've got the contraption rigged to your eye. Most people got a softspot for anything involving the eye, I think. With the ear drum, though I'm sure it hurts as well, it doesn't have the same sort of horror attached to it. The eye is such a tender and delicate organ, having it pierced would have to be a terribly traumatizing experience indeed.
Old 2008-01-26, 08:17   Link #404
Clarste
Human

You need both eyes to comfortably drive and walk around. Depth perception. You need both ears too... listen to headphones? And to find a ringing cellphone buried in your room somewhere. I'd lose the ear.

Anyway, eardrums are repairable. My father, who's the biggest music fan I know (he downloads gigabytes of music a day, I think he has something like 10 years of unique music that he's always listening to (as in if you played all his songs back to back it'd take 10 years to finish)), had an ear infection in one ear when he was young and his eardrum burst. He had surgery, and now he's a little hard of hearing (which means super-loud headphones) but it works.

Then again, I'm not sure how far that device reaches. If it destroys your inner ear... well ouch. That doesn't make much sense with the 3 centimeter thing though, because it'd break your eardrum first, so it's not like he has 30 free millimeters. And I doubt Kaiji could afford ear surgery...
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 10:58   Link #405
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Depending on how sensitive one's ear is, you also run the risk of severely damaging the vestibular nerves of the ear, permanently ruining the sense of balance.

So it's a choice between an eyepatch or a walking stick.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 12:12   Link #406
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
As for choosing the method of penalty (eye or ear), i think it's to determine how much confidence a person has. Most people would go for the ear just because getting stabbed in the eye just too horrifying but that's when people think about losing instead of winning.
You scare me. It's simply a question of minimizing your risk, at equal costs even! I won't let you manage my portfolio.

It seems to me that Kaiji thinks to much about winning. After making 2 M¥ already he should bet more conservative instead of going on a revenge trip.

Without knowing the manga, here's my prediction. In the end Kaiji will save his ear, but only by "buying it back" at a price of all the money he has won and more.
Old 2008-01-26, 16:59   Link #407
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
It seems to me that Kaiji thinks to much about winning. After making 2 M¥ already he should bet more conservative instead of going on a revenge trip.
Wont be much of a show if he did, beside, you are talking about a man who went nuts on the espoir and busted his winning saving a stranger he just met.

I cant speculate much in this series (the writer is just too tough for me) but i doubt we ll get a buyout like what happened in Espoir. The opponent this time isnt interested in money anyway, they prefer to see the anguish and horror on Kaiji's face as he loses.
Old 2008-01-26, 21:47   Link #408
dragonlaion

Dragonlaion

Its a 12 round match.. what if he loses his ear before the match is over?
Will he have to continue with his eye? I think he has to finish his 12 rounds no matter what.. no way he can stop when its getting a bit risky.. and what makes you think he will not lose his ear... Kind of tired of the last minute escapes, let him lose his ear, and rescue his eye
dragonlaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 04:28   Link #409
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I'm pretty shocked to see people saying that they would choose the ear over the eye. No way in hell could I do that. I would go eye all the way. The amount of pain caused by having your eardrum drilled out would be astronomical compared to having your eye punctured. Then again, my eyesight SUCKS so maybe I'm a little biased with my opinion of eardrums.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 16:46   Link #410
Avisch
Reality Blender

Just watched episode 16. The game feels so much more intense now.

Quote:
If Tonegawa loses, I bet he'll do it sarcastically or just go through the motions. I somehow can't see Tonegawa lose his cool as jaded and callous as he is.

As for the OST, the vast majority of the soundtrack is amazing stuff. I agree that it's a HUGE step up from Akagi, which was way more in the background in comparison. Lots of silly/weird sounds in Kaiji and it's just awesome that way. ZAWA ZAWA
Yeah Tonegawa just seems to be able to take anything and make it seem as if it was a small rock he just kicked. It's hard for me to imagine him shocked.

And I need to see Akagi to see the protagonist surprise people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I'm pretty shocked to see people saying that they would choose the ear over the eye. No way in hell could I do that. I would go eye all the way. The amount of pain caused by having your eardrum drilled out would be astronomical compared to having your eye punctured. Then again, my eyesight SUCKS so maybe I'm a little biased with my opinion of eardrums.
It's because. Most of us are looking for the repercussions of losing an eye. YOU NEED EYES if you haven't been blind since birth. Losing an ear sucks and yeah...would hurt like hell but it's a simple turn of the head to alleviate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
Sorry everyone,
Kaiji doesn't have a chance. Mainly because he doesn't keep his cool. He can be read too easily and is too greedy with 20 million. He only needs 6 million to pay off his debt. There's also only one good way out for him now but he won't take it. Bet the minimum for the rest of the games and walk away knocking off what he can. But we know that won't happen...

And yeah, definitely the ear, not the eye (not that I would go for either personally).
Well the games usually go is that Kaiji loses alot. But then is able to hit back.
In this case it's
Spoiler for Theory:

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 17:18   Link #411
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Spoiler for Theory:
I see no reason to think this is the case, if you'll recall Tonegawa's last words, it seems he was just taking his time looking for signs (the waves of his heart, as he referred to them as) Kaiji makes when he plays his vital card, and now he's confident he's found them.
He told Kaiji this wearing his usual sadistic smile, he made no attempt to hide this fact, quite the contrary. Doesn't seem like he's trying very hard to make Kaiji comfortable to me.
Old 2008-01-27, 17:27   Link #412
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I see no reason to think this is the case, if you'll recall Tonegawa's last words, it seems he was just taking his time looking for signs (the waves of his heart, as he referred to them as) Kaiji makes when he plays his vital card, and now he's confident he's found them.
He told Kaiji this wearing his usual sadistic smile, he made no attempt to hide this fact, quite the contrary. Doesn't seem like he's trying very hard to make Kaiji comfortable to me.
Didn't say he was trying hard I just said he was "making". He's playing the game casually. He told Kaiji about finding the "waves of his heart" to say waht he was doing. I agree though Tonegawa isn't the person to hide.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 16:33   Link #413
Akagi_Shigeru
Yami no tensai

I think Tonegawa is intentionally just playing citizens first in order to drag each session out as long as possible, observe when Kaiji plays the Emperor, and to get a read on him in general.
Akagi_Shigeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:27   Link #414
LifeILL

Thank God Kaiji chose emperor, or else it would have been over for him.

I would love to see what nasty tricks Tonegawa got up his sleeve, he's gonna destroy Kaiji next episode it seems like.
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 19:26   Link #415
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

sukreih, what are the average survival rates for Human Derby, E-Card and the Tissue Box Raffle?
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 22:22   Link #416
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
Thank God Kaiji chose emperor, or else it would have been over for him.
It's only a matter of time until Kaiji plays Slave. At a rate of 1 million per hand, he can only earn 12 million maximum. Eventually he'll realize that is way too slow to earn the 20 million he promised.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 22:35   Link #417
ruurguy

Yeah, Kaiji has to play the slave side on hands 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12. Those pay out 5 times as much if he wins, so in theory he could bet just 2 mm and get 1 million if he wins. Of course he will bet more than that since he wants to make it to 20million but who knows. Considering he has to play the slave side on the last hands probably is a nice way to increase the tension. Although it also means Kaiji will get to find some new insight into the game by the last hands and be able to outplay Tonegawa *probably* since the Slave side gets to play their hands second (and he can maybe get a "read" on Tonegawa). Should be exciting no matter what happens, the bridge was great, but I think the real meat of Kaiji will be person to person psychological battles.
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 00:31   Link #418
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
sukreih, what are the average survival rates for Human Derby, E-Card and the Tissue Box Raffle?
How am I supposed to know?
Spoiler for assumed answer+further plot:
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 13:17   Link #419
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It's only a matter of time until Kaiji plays Slave. At a rate of 1 million per hand, he can only earn 12 million maximum. Eventually he'll realize that is way too slow to earn the 20 million he promised.
You actually got that right...unless you already knew

ep 17
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 15:52   Link #420
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
You actually got that right...unless you already knew
Nope. I'm not reading any spoilers. It's just simple logic plus my experience with the show so far. Did anyone really think that Kaiji would turn chickenshit and refuse to take a chance? That would be boring.

I also know that Kaiji will lose a bit and find himself with only a few mm left for his eardrum so he has to win or lose his ear even if he wants to back out. Finally he'll win only by a slender hope. That's just the rhythm of the show.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen