AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-30, 19:52   Link #401
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You know, it's funny but I thought IMPORTCDS was charging less than $30 for the Baccano! disc when I posted before; now it's $38.

[delusions of grandeur]
Maybe so many people followed my link that they drove the price up?
[/delusions of grandeur]

I'd wait and see if it falls again in a few weeks.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 06:51   Link #402
*KiwiChan*

Baccano is really a good series! Very good!
I love Isaac because it is too funny, and Ladd!
Do you know that there will be two new episodes (14 and 15) in extras!
I found this information on livejournal baccano.

Ps: Excuse me if my spelling is not very good because I am French ^ ^ and I try to learn some English words.
*KiwiChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 19:02   Link #403
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Is there a name for that 'technique' when your attention is focused on an object in the screen, then there's a camera shift or something, then the camera's focused on a similar object? Like Ladd's dart turning into Chane's knife in the OP.
Yeah, there is a technical term for it. I believe it's called a Match Cut . It's where the cut connects two similar shots by using similar things-- be they objects, people, whatever-- so that a link is made between the two scenes. Brilliant way of doing things, in my opinion.

Quote:
Do you know that there will be two new episodes (14 and 15) in extras!
I found this information on livejournal baccano.
There are going to be three DVD-only episodes, actually. The first one is due out at the end of February. And your English is great, actually.
Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 19:11   Link #404
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
My God... the soundtrack for Baccano is incredible... i was listening to it during my ride to work and it was amazing. Jazz is the greatest genre ever.
Indeed, jazz is one of my favorite genres... but it depends on which jazz you're talking about. I'm more into the '50s and '60s modern jazz/avant garde, with my favorite composer being John Coltrane... so I find it easier to like better the jazz sounds in Cowboy Bebop than the ones in Baccano. However, that doesn't mean I don't think Baccano's soundtrack is amazing, either!

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 19:31   Link #405
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Indeed, jazz is one of my favorite genres... but it depends on which jazz you're talking about. I'm more into the '50s and '60s modern jazz/avant garde, with my favorite composer being John Coltrane... so I find it easier to like better the jazz sounds in Cowboy Bebop than the ones in Baccano. However, that doesn't mean I don't think Baccano's soundtrack is amazing, either!
I don't mind the soundtrack either. For me, it's so-so because I'm not really a jazz fan in any way, shape, or form. I'm more of an orchestral-type person who likes her stuff with background vocals. I do really like Ringo no E no Ue no Rakugaki , though. Which, if my Japanese language skills are up to par, means something like [The] Graffiti on the Apple Picture or something. I don't get that title for the life of me. Can't help but like the OP, too. The grammar error in it makes me giggle, though. xD
Old 2008-02-05, 00:33   Link #406
strategos

I finishes this series and I am amazed. Its awesome Showed to few friends of mine and they are hook to it . Miria and Issac wins. Is there going to be a second season or extra new episodes? I saw there was a manga; any scans or possibility that it get to the States ^_^? Are there any translation of the novel? or has or will reach the States?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 16:55   Link #407
Westlo
Lets be reality

With the Japanese DVDs there will be 3 additional episodes of Baccano! I think the first DVD only episode is due out... March? Or was it Feb? Either way not far off now. No word on a second season yet but obviously most Baccano! fans are hoping it happens. I had no idea there was a manga and in regards to the novel... IIRC someone/somegroup is working on it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 14:20   Link #408
Yuki~

Send a message via AIM to Yuki~
I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen it, but for those that haven't I found some pictures of the upcoming episode and a video on youtube

I really hope the novel translation is true, I'd love to read it.
Yuki~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 16:54   Link #409
Westlo
Lets be reality

I actually haven't seen that trailer so thanks for the link.
Old 2008-02-09, 21:05   Link #410
Yuki~

Send a message via AIM to Yuki~
No problem.

Oh, here's a picture a friend of mine showed me, it's what I used to make my (crappy) signature.

Spoiler for Size:
Yuki~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 23:09   Link #411
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Hmmm... it seems they are bringing in another psycho with ep 14. Very cute pics you got there
Old 2008-02-10, 12:18   Link #412
Altharion
Pirate A

Send a message via MSN to Altharion
They just have to make another season with the prison arc!
Altharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 22:02   Link #413
Kouvley

Just marathoned all 13eps.....

Wow! That was outstanding. Thoroughly entertaining stuff.

Or as Miria would say: SUGOI!!
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 22:32   Link #414
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

After two vewiings I'm still trying to correlate the people on the ship with the people in the current period. Beyond the obvious ones like Maiza, Quates, and Czes-"kun," who else appears later on?

Elmer -> He looks a bit like the the guy with the scissors in the Gandors' office, but I'm not really sure if he appears in the current period at all. There doesn't seem to be anyone with his "smile, smile, smile" approach to life.
Huey -> Is he the guy who talks to the monster while standing in the crow's nest? The guy who witholds his vote in the alchemists' meeting?
Sylvie -> She's the lounge singer we see briefly I believe; otherwise she's not involved. Too bad, too, as she's one of the most beautiful women in a show filled with them.

What about Ladd? Mortal or immortal? Was he on the ship? I think Ladd's crew and the black-suited crowd are humans, as are obviously Jacuzzi and Co. I also don't think Rail Tracer has anything to do with the immortals either, but what is he? Does he have a connection to the monster that was conjured on board the ship?

Some other questions:
Did Czes really have explosives on the train? Why? He says his real purpose in going to NY is to eat Maiza, so are the explosives a ruse? I take it the immortals he senses in the dining car are Issac and Miria? If so, that suggests that only the three of them were immortals, leaving out Ladd. On the other hand, I don't think Czes and Ladd ever have a scene together, so perhaps Ladd could be immortal but Czes didn't sense him.

I'm really curious what happens to Firo and Maiza now that Firo has eaten Quates. Wil Firo eventualy become Maiza's enemy? Does eating someone just give you access to his or her memories and experiences, or does the eater adopt some part of the devoured's personality as well? Firo now knows half the recipe; perhaps he'll want to learn the rest. He might be cute, but he is, after all, a gangster, one willing to kill his father if need be. Maybe Ennis can keep him in line.

The show grew on me at lot in a second viewing. Along with Nodame Cantabile, it's at or near the top of my list of shows that deserve another season.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-11 at 09:47. Reason: It's Sylvie, not Sophie.
Old 2008-02-11, 00:31   Link #415
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Elmer and Tic (the scissors guy) are different person i think, different character design. I wonder what wish did he made in the last part when he was drowning.

You are correct on Huey and Sophie. Though not sure what made Sophie took the immortality elixir.

AFAIK, only people from the ship in the 1930 onward timeline we saw was Maiza, Czes, Szilard, Huey and possibly the blonde guy Maiza talked to during the end of 1930 story (Szilard's death)

On the pussyfoot incident, only Isaac, Miria and Czes are the immortals. Ladd is clearly mortal from the first episode (the bloody arm). Claire is not related to monster on the ship since it is actually Szilard. He's just a incredibly skilled assassin.

Does eating someone just give you access to his or her memories and experiences, or does the eater adopt some part of the devoured's personality as well

Yes on memories, possible on personality. Szilard did gain some lust for Sophie after devouring her lover. But that personality might have been caused by memories gained. Ennis also started behaving more humanlike after devouring her victims (hence, Szilard had to kill his earlier creations after they gained too much memories of others.)
Old 2008-02-11, 02:54   Link #416
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

On the pussyfoot incident, only Isaac, Miria and Czes are the immortals. Ladd is clearly mortal from the first episode (the bloody arm). Claire is not related to monster on the ship since it is actually Szilard. He's just a incredibly skilled assassin.
Szilard was not the monster they summoned on the ship. The monster Maiza summoned is a whole different entity. ^_^
Old 2008-02-11, 06:42   Link #417
Altharion
Pirate A

Send a message via MSN to Altharion
but the monster that went on a killing spree was Szilard.
Altharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 09:22   Link #418
gh0stmice
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Elmer and Tic (the scissors guy) are different person i think, different character design. I wonder what wish did he made in the last part when he was drowning.
)

wtf did he wish for....
did they ever tell us????man i forgot all about that
gh0stmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 09:59   Link #419
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, the obvious answer seems to be that he wished not to die, though by then he should have become immortal.

I'm guessing his wish might have to do with Sylvie. I think Elmer longs for her but couldn't express his feelings because of her love for Gerd. After Elmer is saved from drowning, as Sylvie walks to the front of the ship he says that he won't give up trying. Now it could be they're talking about reforming Szilard, but even if that's true, I think the comment may have a double meaning for Elmer. Unfortunately if that's what Elmer wished for we don't see any evidence of their being together in later life. The only shot of Sylvie in more modern times is as the lounge singer, and there's no one else in the picture.

Also in the "where are they now" shots at the end of episode seven we have this one:

Is this Huey?

As for why Sylvie drinks the elixir, I wonder if she thinks that she might wreak revenge upon Szilard and eat him someday. At least that way she'd be "reunited" with Gerd. If that were her mission, she was obviously unsuccessful, though it doesn't appear she was among those 18 or so people Szliard had eaten by 1930 either.

Though I often find myself agreeing with Jazzrat in these forums, I don't think Szilard is the monster either. He's just a, now immortal, human possessed by an extraordinary drive for power. The other immortals represent a source of additional knowledge and experience that he can capture by eating them. From his conversation with Maiza, it seems as though Szilard wants to be the only remaining original immortal so he can carry out his plan to co-opt world leaders and wield power from behind the scenes. The continued existence of the other immortals might pose a threat to this plan, since some of them might discover him or his actions and try to stop him.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-11 at 12:12. Reason: typos, grammar, more random speculation
Old 2008-02-11, 10:04   Link #420
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As for why she drinks the elixir, I wonder if she thinks that she might wreak revenge upon Szilard and eat him someday. At least that way she'd be "reunited" with Gerd. If that were here mission, she was obviously unsuccessful, though it doesn't appear she was among those 18 or so people Szliard had eaten by 1930 either.
My net is slow atm so I cbf checking the novel covers but I'm pretty sure

Spoiler:

Tags
action, brains-base, crime, historical, shounen, supernatural