AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

View Poll Results: Kaname vs. Tessa
Kaname 472 57.07%
Tessa 355 42.93%
Voters: 827. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-16, 10:46   Link #461
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Sobresaliente Send a message via MSN to Sobresaliente
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenstrikes View Post
Tessa might be moe for some guys, but personally, I can't stand her. I think it's because I saw Fumoffu before watching the first season, so when I got to the Tessa episodes, I was all "Who is this chick and why is she so damn annoying?" Also, I think that "innocently cute" kind of girl is also the most manipulative--her type just really rubs me the wrong way, I guess. The only time I felt anything positive for her character was when she was telling Mardukas off near the end of TSR. I have agree with MonkeyDude, though, that Tessa is a much stronger person than she appears to be. It should be obvious by now: she'd have to be, to qualify as captain of the most badass submarine (crew) on the planet. TSR only serves to confirm it.

But I still prefer Kaname. She's funny, more normal, and more down-to-earth than Tessa. Tessa is just a little too unreal.
omg you are so right, those girls are the most manipulative and such, but i dont think you can bring that idea into THIS anime.

she hasnt done anything to manipulate anyone, HELL she tried to prevent Sousuke from leaving his duty to protect Kaname, that is really gutsy. You know she likes Sousuke and wants him bad, but she knew he likes kaname so she honestly tried to get him to stay with her (in TSR). a manipulative women would have said and acted the complete opposite.... i agree with your statement about women irl, but tessa in this show is not like that.

also how can you hate someone that says "getting wet is my business" xD.... and yes Ren is a cute too Urzu 7xD

Last edited by Sobresaliente; 2008-02-16 at 13:12.
Old 2008-02-16, 13:53   Link #462
Teh2ndrunner
History Fanatic

Ha , I stick with my Tessa vote my friends! All this Kaname is more down to earth crap is pretty annoying as both of them are equal in this respect. Think this

Kaname beats on Sousuke despite him trying his best and saving her life constantly

Tessa never does this , maybe flirts with him , but respects his decisions about who he loves without interfering further . She is also very courageous person , remembering tht to have courage , you must have fear and faults which Tessa has plenty , but overcomes them in the end.

And yes ... who can say know no to someone who says 'geting wet is my business'.
Old 2008-02-16, 15:20   Link #463
elevenstrikes
on the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobresaliente View Post
omg you are so right, those girls are the most manipulative and such, but i dont think you can bring that idea into THIS anime.

she hasnt done anything to manipulate anyone, HELL she tried to prevent Sousuke from leaving his duty to protect Kaname, that is really gutsy. You know she likes Sousuke and wants him bad, but she knew he likes kaname so she honestly tried to get him to stay with her (in TSR). a manipulative women would have said and acted the complete opposite.... i agree with your statement about women irl, but tessa in this show is not like that.

also how can you hate someone that says "getting wet is my business" xD.... and yes Ren is a cute too Urzu 7xD
TSR did improve my opinion of Tessa, but her type still turns me off. You could be right that I shouldn't let "women irl" cloud my judgment here, though.
Heh, it's nice to know this thread is still active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh2ndrunner View Post
Ha , I stick with my Tessa vote my friends! All this Kaname is more down to earth crap is pretty annoying as both of them are equal in this respect. Think this

Kaname beats on Sousuke despite him trying his best and saving her life constantly

Tessa never does this , maybe flirts with him , but respects his decisions about who he loves without interfering further . She is also very courageous person , remembering tht to have courage , you must have fear and faults which Tessa has plenty , but overcomes them in the end.

And yes ... who can say know no to someone who says 'geting wet is my business'.
"Down to earth" crap? Not to be cynical, but of course Tessa wouldn't interfere--she wouldn't want Sagara to hate her. But giving her the benefit of the doubt, she really does like Sagara, so she'd want to see him happy, no matter who he ends up with. I don't know what you meant by "down to earth," but when I said it, I was thinking that Kaname is mostly in touch with reality as most normal, first-world people know it. School routines, social norms, etc. More likely to have common interests. She's practical, independent, and not naive (all of these fall under "down-to-earth"). I don't think that's a weak reason to prefer someone. You could argue that Tessa is also in touch with reality, but her reality consists of... well, living in a submarine. Not that she isn't brilliant, or wouldn't be conversational. You make some good points about Tessa, but I also don't like the fact that she looks and sounds more like a twelve year-old...

I like that Kaname pretty much wears her heart on her sleeve (this also falls under "down-to-earth crap"). If she's unhappy, you'll know it, because she'll sure as hell make sure you do. If she has a bitch fest, she'll apologize when she knows she's at fault. It's better to have everything out in the open like that so that you can work things out together. Tessa, on the other hand, apologizes all the time, even when it's not her fault (annoying), and seems more likely to suffer a "martyr complex" (example: "Oh noes! It's all my fault. I think I'll just hide the pain, suffer silently, and try to resolve everything by myself because I'm so noble that I don't want anyone else to get involved, even though they'd be more than willing to help because they CARE about me.")

I guess I can understand why people like Tessa. She seems like a good enough person at heart, but I'm still not crazy about her. :/ I just don't think she's hot, sorry.

Last edited by elevenstrikes; 2008-02-16 at 16:24.
Old 2008-02-16, 21:28   Link #464
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

All that is fine, eleven. We don't have to get too caught up in this, I see bits of fanboyism rising from people in here. That's okay, we just need to keep it in check.

I know some others say they think Tessa is annoying, too. That is fine, some people think that, and some are real fans of the character. Some find her to be an anime girl that is the type that they don't like, some find a real attraction to her. I still think she is real attractive for an anime girl. Very feminine, and as I said, she is an anime girl that is both very cute and very sexy (my opinion, of course). Sometimes she can be childish, but on the whole, she is one of those sweet heart type anime girls. And I would call her moe, because of the many times she is clumsy and not very physically capable (unlike Melissa and Kaname).

And while Kaname is down to earth in the sense that she is a student and lives a rather normal life...this is an anime, it isn't too realistic, many anime are not very realistic, after all. Tessa lived most her life within military areas, and she is a young girl that is a commander. That is a little out of this world, but so is Mithril. So is Souseke, who is like Mithral's best mercenary soldier and he pilots a huge, advanced combat robot, and he's 16/17! And we have lamda drivers and the whispered. Even the "down to earth" Kaname with her "normal" life is a whispered who has been in some hostage situations and dealt and defeated an assassin. The point is, there are unrealistic elements in FMP. And I'm sure we wouldn't want it anyway; the mix of realism with a good dose of out of this world anime-type elements comes together great in the series.

And sure, I can see people saying how Kaname beating on Souseke is mean and annoying. But that is a source of a lot of the comedy in the series; Kaname giving Sagara discipline when he does something incredibly stupid.
Old 2008-02-17, 00:44   Link #465
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL RIOT RIOT RIOT, FANBOY RIOT! jkjk....... eleven watch your blood pressure sir xD i agree with most that you say about Kaname and your interpretation of "down to earth". but i dont thinks we should look at this as a "irl" situation, because this is just a made up fantasy that we all love to watch and get caught up in (as my buddy urzu 7 pointed out up top there). relating this to real live is just plain crazy yo (even tho if aqua and silver hair was real.... i would love to date those kinds of girls LOLOL)

dont be a hypocrite urzu 7 lol u know ur a fanboy jkjkjkjkjk

i really dont think any of us are sounding like that, we are just being very very very vocal about our opinions and why we have those opinions.... in other words all u tessa lovers are WRONG > haha jk

Both kaname and tessa are very attractive anime girls. both have strenghts and weakness, some the same and some very different. Overall this is just personal preference and arguing wont get us anywhere, but it is so fun LOL

i still want to bring up the fact of calling tessa annoying and clumsy and such. this is still giving me the vibe that people think she is weak, when she is not by any means!!! Kaname and Mao may be physically stronger, but mentally, to put up with the pressure tessa faces, neither of them could do what tessa does. I am a kaname fan, i want to see kaname and sousuke be together, but i dont think tessa gets enough credit!!!

this anime is just a crazy manifestation that sprouted from japanese minds..... they have sucked us in and are laughing at us :O

(btw Urzu 7 since your a senior member i wont get yelled at for my ava will i? cuz i have been kicked from forums because they said it "is too mature for our younger users" LOL jw'ing)
Old 2008-02-17, 03:39   Link #466
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You were on the best drugs when you typed that, huh?

Yeah, I'm probably a Tessa fanboy. =3 But we should all try not to get too vocal in our opinions. And, Sobresaliente, you might be right, some people saying Tessa is so dumb and clumsy might be thinking she is weak, but she is pretty strong in her own right.

And maybe she doesn't get enough credit...there are more Kaname fans here, it seems, but Tessa has her fans. This poll still has 255 or so people who voted for her, not bad at all. Kaname has more than half the votes, but not by that much.
Old 2008-02-17, 13:32   Link #467
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
You were on the best drugs when you typed that, huh?

Yeah, I'm probably a Tessa fanboy. =3 But we should all try not to get too vocal in our opinions. And, Sobresaliente, you might be right, some people saying Tessa is so dumb and clumsy might be thinking she is weak, but she is pretty strong in her own right.

And maybe she doesn't get enough credit...there are more Kaname fans here, it seems, but Tessa has her fans. This poll still has 255 or so people who voted for her, not bad at all. Kaname has more than half the votes, but not by that much.
LOL im actually straight edge, so no drugs.... hard to believe eh LOLOL (i blame my behavior on music xD)

i think we are on the same page with our views of both girls. i like kaname and voted for her, but tessa is great too. the only reason i think more ppl like kaname is the fact that her and sousuke's relationship is much more evident and focused on throughout the series, more so than sousuke and tessa. so most ppl are pulling for her because of the romance situation. (such as myself, that is why i want her to win)

but i must say silver hair is sooooo much sexier!!!!!
Old 2008-02-17, 18:39   Link #468
elevenstrikes
on the rocks

lol sorry, I failed there. I thought this was a debate, not just a "who do YOU like better, vote" thread.
Old 2008-02-17, 22:03   Link #469
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

We can debate just fine, we just don't wanna get too much into the heat of our arguments. Then it's less enjoyable.
Old 2008-02-17, 22:15   Link #470
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Did you watch the OVA after TSR? End of the discussion. They made that featuring Tessa for a reason.
Old 2008-02-17, 22:23   Link #471
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

That OVA was a good OVA of mainly fanservice...especially if you are a big Tessa fan! =3
Old 2008-02-18, 01:59   Link #472
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post
Did you watch the OVA after TSR? End of the discussion. They made that featuring Tessa for a reason.
end of discussion... are u serious? my arse it is end of discussion.
Old 2008-02-18, 02:11   Link #473
Autumnaki
Superstar

Tessa and Kaname are both equally awesome to me. Tessa is great at being professional when she has to be and also really fun to watch, and Kaname is just really kickass. LOL.

I'd go with Kaname on this one just because I REALLY like the build up and development between her and Sousuke. I like how in the anime they STILL haven't openly admitted anything towards eachother, but everyone knows there SOMETHING. Where as Tessa is already sure of how she feels, and that takes away something for me. Tension maybe? I'm not entirely sure.

I like watching characters realize their feelings for one another during something epic... not watching one character chase after another in hopes that the feeling is mutual. Just my personal preference though... XD;;
Old 2008-02-18, 11:51   Link #474
Sobresaliente
DOMO WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnaki View Post
I'd go with Kaname on this one just because I REALLY like the build up and development between her and Sousuke. I like how in the anime they STILL haven't openly admitted anything towards eachother, but everyone knows there SOMETHING. Where as Tessa is already sure of how she feels, and that takes away something for me. Tension maybe? I'm not entirely sure.
oh hey what do ya know i called this LOL HAAHAH

yes the thrill of the chase if you will, i think that is what lures the kaname and sousuke decision. we both know they want each other in some way or another, but both of them are "playing games" in a sense, that they are afraid to tell how they feel, and are waiting for someone to take the step to express themselves... especially kaname, i find her to have problems expressing her feelings cuz sousuke is hard to read in the department of romance. if only she could have seen episode 11 "his problems" then she would truly know!!

even irl, if you and a person show interest, that beginning thrill of trying to get their number, getting to hang out with them, the tension of trying to land a kill, that is a huge THRILL. but when you do finally land her/him, i guess that thrill is lost because you have succeeded, this is how i relate the tessa sousuke, because we know how they feel and they both expressed it, we have lost interest. (ok this explanation sounded really shallow LOLOL NOT MEANT TO BE!!!!)
Old 2008-02-18, 19:58   Link #475
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Is this thread about who'd be better with Souseke? I thought it was just about which girl you simply liked more.
Sometimes who sousuke should be with - means who the poster likes more. Give or take its the same difference.
Old 2008-02-18, 20:45   Link #476
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yeah, I guess that applies sometimes, but not always. I think that Souseke and Kaname are better together, but I am also a bigger Tessa fan.
Old 2008-02-19, 17:16   Link #477
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post
Yeah because Kaname and Sousuke got a whole series to themselves practically, even if you count the 2 eps Tessa fanserviced in in fumoffu, Kaname still wins that round, why cause Kaname and Sousuke are awesome, Tessa is an annoying clingy person, who sure is a good sub capt but nearly as clueless as Sousuke in other things. Kaname ftw, for Sousuke anyways.
Old 2008-02-19, 22:07   Link #478
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Well you guys are right in the fact that Kaname is better for Sousuke. Kaname really pushes Sousuke and gives him confidence. But i'm with Urzu 7... i'm a bigger Tessa Fan.
Old 2008-02-19, 22:23   Link #479
Autumnaki
Superstar

I like Tessa alot, but for some reason Kaname just appeals to me a little more... Sousuke not included. I think I have always liked characters more like Kaname for some reason.

I guess intitially I got the impression of "Damsel in distress" from Tessa... and the opposite from Kaname... In the novels I think there has been slight role reversal in that department, but initially... Tessa was the clumbsy damsel... and it didn't appeal to me that much.
Old 2008-03-09, 17:47   Link #480
Rick_Grimes

I voted Tessa.

I have always found the soft spoken, co-dependent archetype to be one of my favorite. I guess to me it just makes the character seem more stereotypically feminine (note: I did not say females are soft spoken or co-dependent). Tessa also "breaks the mold", so to speak, in that she aggressively seeks Sousuke's affections and that just makes her all the more remarkably attractive, imo. Apart from her personality, I really liked the Japanese voice actress who played Tessa's part.

Quote:
That OVA was a good OVA of mainly fanservice...especially if you are a big Tessa fan! =3
Couldn't agree more! The first five minutes are solid fanservice. Loved it though! I had been hoping for more Tessa/Sousuke episodes and was disappointed when there were none. The OVA made me feel much better especially after the ending in TSR.

Aside: Gotta admit though (and I don't want to sound mean), the first season was hard for me to watch because of the ridiculous plot points, melodrama, and occasionally exceedingly poor animation.
Closed Thread