AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-12, 22:33   Link #701
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Probably because Vol.04 is darker in nature than usual. Takemoto has experience in mixing absurd humour with poignant drama and "cool action".

Cheers.
If they ARE delaying it until October, I expect more than Volume 4...

And Ishihara's good at directing like that too. Clannad much?

There's very little action in the Haruhi novels, in any case.
Old 2008-03-12, 22:50   Link #702
shaoron
AQS representative

DELAYING TILL OCTOBER!?
Old 2008-03-12, 22:59   Link #703
Ray Huynh

hmm if they are and make it 24 episodes they might be able to fit 3 volumes and the novel volume 4 wasn't that dark or is it? o.o
Old 2008-03-13, 00:06   Link #704
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huynh View Post
hmm if they are and make it 24 episodes they might be able to fit 3 volumes and the novel volume 4 wasn't that dark or is it? o.o
Well, it's less 'crazy happy fun time' than a lot of the other stories. Maybe not much darker, but a lot more serious.

And the first season was approximately threeish volumes in itself. I don't think that they have enough material to make a decent 24 episode series, personally. My bet is Disappearance + side stories for another 14 episode season. Volume 7 is another long story, but... I personally don't feel like very much actually happened in it, and what did happen sort of leads up to volume 9, and that arc isn't finished yet so can't be animated for obvious reasons.
Old 2008-03-13, 00:27   Link #705
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamoflife View Post
Well, it's less 'crazy happy fun time' than a lot of the other stories. Maybe not much darker, but a lot more serious.

And the first season was approximately threeish volumes in itself. I don't think that they have enough material to make a decent 24 episode series, personally. My bet is Disappearance + side stories for another 14 episode season. Volume 7 is another long story, but... I personally don't feel like very much actually happened in it, and what did happen sort of leads up to volume 9, and that arc isn't finished yet so can't be animated for obvious reasons.
A lot happened in Vol.7. People never seemed to realize this. It's the longest one to date. It has Mikuru and Yuki fanservice, character development for Koizumi, Tsuruya and Big Mikuru, Valentine's Day, the introduction of two new characters, time travel, a Ship Sink (sorta) for MikuruxKyon...

They have more than enough material, believe me.
Old 2008-03-13, 00:38   Link #706
Ray Huynh

lol its good enough for me just wanted Haruhi x kyon fanservice more though xD

I wonder how long willl it take before the 10th volume finally comes out
Old 2008-03-13, 01:05   Link #707
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huynh View Post
lol its good enough for me just wanted Haruhi x kyon fanservice more though xD

I wonder how long willl it take before the 10th volume finally comes out
Another year, at this rate...
Old 2008-03-13, 11:33   Link #708
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If they ARE delaying it until October, I expect more than Volume 4...

And Ishihara's good at directing like that too. Clannad much?

There's very little action in the Haruhi novels, in any case.
Perhaps I was not clear enough in my meaning. When it comes to action, Ishihara tends to favour the more... "dramatic-type" of action; where it is spliced with heart-rending drama and is more likely to make you cry then pump your fist into the air.

Takemoto on the other hand, has more elaborate action sequences in which he "shocks and awes" the audience with... a more "manly" type of action if I may say so, or GAR if you will.

To put it simply, if we were to compare Gates to Tomoyo, there is simply no contest in which one is grittier. Ishihara will mostly make one laugh and cry like a sobbing baby who just saw his/her pet puppy get run over by a car and whom died trying to crawl towards its owner. Takemoto on the other hand will make one laugh and scream with burning manly passion as protagonists gain POWER through character development and beat the crap out of their enemies via empowering epiphanies.

Takemoto also excels at absurd humour as evidenced by his handling of Fumoffu! (
School Janitor and Rugby Episode being prime examples) and Lucky Star. He was also the episode director of Ep11 in the original season of SHnY, The Day Of Sagittarius. Ep10 of CLANNAD was also directed by him, and it shows in the scenes where Kyou runs him over with her bike, the destructive violin by Kotomi, etc... He has always preferred a more fluid type of action compared to Ishihara's more stylish type of action. Watching an extended segment of Takemoto's action sequences will really take your breath away.

Given that the SOS-dan is going to be fighting against real enemies, it makes sense to have the man who has a lot of experience in portraying conflicts in an anime without sacrificing humour, drama, and character development.

Cheers.
Old 2008-03-13, 13:17   Link #709
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Maybe they will do some more made up episodes like the 'Day in the rain'? or animate Sound Around. Or even Haruhi Theater.

anyways...they are not bad at making up stories that are not from the novels. I think Sound Around was pretty good, but the 'Day in a Rain' needed more work
Old 2008-03-13, 16:23   Link #710
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
Maybe they will do some more made up episodes like the 'Day in the rain'? or animate Sound Around. Or even Haruhi Theater.

anyways...they are not bad at making up stories that are not from the novels. I think Sound Around was pretty good, but the 'Day in a Rain' needed more work
You do realize that Tanigawa wrote Someday in the Rain for the anime, right?

Though I don't know if he wrote Sound Around or not...
Old 2008-03-13, 16:39   Link #711
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I loved someday in the rain. It was nice, also anyone got a copy of the piano piece that played when Kyon had set up the heater and fell asleep? On another note, second season could easily delayed. CLANNAD did that, CLANNAD 2 might do that as well (Though I doubt it).

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-03-13, 17:29   Link #712
Hedd
Random Object

Day in the Rain was a welcomed episode to highlight the relationship Kyon and Haruhi have, while it wasn't the most exciting there were alot of subtle character queues that gave more insight into the characters and their ambitions. If they have more anime only episodes in 2nd season, I'd welcome more of this caliber.
Old 2008-03-13, 22:12   Link #713
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Yes, It would be nice if they made more epidsodes like that.
Old 2008-03-13, 23:20   Link #714
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I loved someday in the rain. It was nice, also anyone got a copy of the piano piece that played when Kyon had set up the heater and fell asleep? On another note, second season could easily delayed. CLANNAD did that, CLANNAD 2 might do that as well (Though I doubt it).
It was a nice episode, and seeing as how I'm a sucker for slice of life type things, I would definitely take more. As for the piano piece, I believe it was in that soundtrack called "Soundtrack 7 and Radio Bengumi,"
Old 2008-03-14, 04:14   Link #715
Jintor

Some day in the Rain was probably my favourite SuzumiyaHaruhiNoYuutsu episode of them all. It was just so... peaceful.
Old 2008-03-14, 16:26   Link #716
Jenx
Insert Creative Title

Someday in the Rain was pretty nice, if not a bit slow... but I'm really hoping to see Sound Around animated. I mean, just seeing them all dressed up like that is reason enough.
Old 2008-03-14, 20:55   Link #717
ijuinkun

Yeah, seeing four minutes of Yuki staring at her book with nothing else happening onscreen felt like it was just a filler to use up time.
Old 2008-03-14, 20:59   Link #718
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Yeah, seeing four minutes of Yuki staring at her book with nothing else happening onscreen felt like it was just a filler to use up time.
Stylistic approach.
Old 2008-03-14, 21:54   Link #719
brocko

To be honest I tend to think of that scene as a little bit of both.

A way to cut down production costs and effort so that it'd be better injected into the upcoming episodes instead. And you clearly see that too, as the last five episodes after Someday in the Rain, 10(Melancholy IV), 11(Days of Sagitarius), 12(Live A Live), 13(Melancholy V) and 14(Melancholy VI) were all nothing short of fantastic. And plus, it did alot in complementing the overall 'epilogue-ish' feel of the episode too, so I'm not complaining, infact i thought it was quite a nice touch on their behalf.

I'd definitely like to some more anime only original episodes in the 2nd season. And i agree with what others have already mentioned, Haruhi Theatre and Sound Alive would be a nice to animate as well, although they're probably abit better off as OVA's or bonus DVD extras imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-03-14, 22:28   Link #720
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
To be honest I tend to think of that scene as a little bit of both.

A way to cut down production costs and effort so that it'd be better injected into the upcoming episodes instead. And you clearly see that too, as the last five episodes after Someday in the Rain, 10(Melancholy IV), 11(Days of Sagitarius), 12(Live A Live), 13(Melancholy V) and 14(Melancholy VI) were all nothing short of fantastic. And plus, it did alot in complementing the overall 'epilogue-ish' feel of the episode too, so I'm not complaining, infact i thought it was quite a nice touch on their behalf.

I'd definitely like to some more anime only original episodes in the 2nd season. And i agree with what others have already mentioned, Haruhi Theatre and Sound Alive would be a nice to animate as well, although they're probably abit better off as OVA's or bonus DVD extras imo.
They can't do Theatre on TV anyway. Minors can't be shown drinking alcohol on Japanese television.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen