Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-25, 19:13   Link #1321
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Haha. H2O rocked my soul!

Only sometimes though.

Ending didn't rock me very well

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:20   Link #1322
DanielSong39

Loved Hayami's tsundere antics and Takuma's heroic efforts to make peace in the village.

Then in episode 11 we found out it was all a farce...

H2O was a decent show for the most part but it had some rough edges. Nevertheless, I will praise it to no end if it results in a Magical Otoha spinoff!
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 21:27   Link #1323
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I think I am the type that enjoys watching ambiguous events (to a degree). But this just shows how much other people's mileage varies.
I like ambiguous endings, too (Evangelion, End of Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.), but this ending just felt lazy.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 04:28   Link #1324
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I like ambiguous endings, too (Evangelion, End of Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.), but this ending just felt lazy.
Indeed.

I thought that H2O had an interesting concept and could have done a lot more with the setting than they managed (maybe cause they wasted so much time on that retarded beach episode). That said I didn't end up hating it, I just felt a bit indifferent to the whole thing. The "revelation" that I'm sure was supposed to move the audience just felt a bit blah, as with the repeating events, which to me seemed a little pointless (why did they bother smacking Hayami with a train only to bring her back - it didn't seem like it advanced the plot much).

I think the best way that I can classify the anime for me is that, while it won't make any "anime I dislike" lists, I probably wont even remember it in a year or so.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 10:54   Link #1325
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Must of missed that , but does that mean Takuma is dead????
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Considering episodes 2-10 was basically one delusion, your suggestion isn't much of a stretch.

The line between reality and fantasy is so heavily blurred in this series that they seem indistinguishable at times.

Right up there with AIR TV in its level of confusion.
"Face Palms AGAIN" Guys you are causing yourselves more harm by over analyzing this. Take DK's and Restlessflames advice PLEASE im actually begging at this point
Old 2008-03-26, 14:00   Link #1326
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I had to stop watching the series sometime during the beach episode, as it was really unbearable. Then another road bump came in the form of the magical Otoha episode. But after that, it was a good ride IMO. I was crying (un?)manly tears at the train scene, thinking why is it that its the good people that's taken from this world.

As for thoughts... First off... Hamaji and Maki hit it off? Score another one for the archetype, and excuse me a while as I squee like a fangirl as I didn't expect a win in this series. XD

Now that over with...

I think my biggest beef with the series is that one of the biggest underlying message was that the one should move on from the past and that it shouldn't haunt you. Clearly, the ones shown in a very negative light were those who can't do it (ex. Hotaru's grandpa), while all the significant characters were able to do so in one way or another. From Hinata moving on from hating Hayami, to Hayami being able to forgive Hinata's 'betrayal', to Hinata letting go of her guilt to become Hotaru once more, to Otoha leaving for heaven, to Yui's forgiveness for what the Kohinata did with her Grandfather, and most especially Takuma moving on from his traumatic past, it's become one of the central themes of the anime.

And all of that IMO was terribly undermined by the ressurection of Hayami, as it only shows that Takuma couldn't move on from her. While I don't have a problem per se with people who can't move on (in fact, Ikari Gendo would probably always be my favourite villain, Noein being the second), by it going against the theme, it feels extremely out of place and uncalled for. In other words, what happened in H2O is exactly why the vast majority of Deus ex Machina endings fail; it really did feel like it was an ending just for the sake of a happy ending.

Now don't get me wrong, as Hayami is by far my favourite character of this series. I mean, I really did wish those who physcially assaulted her may burn (as in BBBUUURRRRRNNNNN!!!!) for the rest of their afterlife, including crazy!Takuma. In fact, I seriously wanted it to be Takuma who got train wrecked in place of Hayami, as this world would always be better off with more unselfish characters like Hayami around. BUT I'm not willing to sacrifice the story just for the sake of my favourite character, and unfortunately, that's what happened here.

Episodes up to Magical Otoha: D+
Episodes after the Magical Otoha up to epilogue: A+
Epilogue: F
Total Series Rating: C- (And yet another decent series ruined by the epilogue for me)

Now that little Otoha reminds me... it would've been cute if Takuma and Hotaru had a kid named Otoha lol. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 15:15   Link #1327
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And all of that IMO was terribly undermined by the ressurection of Hayami, as it only shows that Takuma couldn't move on from her. While I don't have a problem per se with people who can't move on (in fact, Ikari Gendo would probably always be my favourite villain, Noein being the second), by it going against the theme, it feels extremely out of place and uncalled for. In other words, what happened in H2O is exactly why the vast majority of Deus ex Machina endings fail; it really did feel like it was an ending just for the sake of a happy ending.
I disagree mildly with this, because the whole point of the scene leading up to that epilogue (with the windmill) was that he had accepted it. He was obviously still thinking of her, but had moved on with his life. He seemed contented. He "wasn't a kid anymore". It was to that contented self, who had accepted but could never forget, that Otoha gave the gift. In other words, Hayami's return was a present in light of his acceptance. He was then ready to protect her "for real". Acceptance doesn't mean forgetting, it means commemorating and living in light of that memory, which is exactly what Takuma was doing. So that's why I think the ending remained steadfast and true to the theme of accepting the past. Hayami's return was the reward for doing so.

All in my opinion, of course...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 16:57   Link #1328
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For me personally, the definition of moving on in regards to a dead person is that you have accepted that they're already dead, and that they're REALLY never coming back. Thus, if you even have the ouncest feeling that you wish a dead person was still alive, you haven't 'truly' moved on. This is reinforced by the series itself for me, because it can be argued that even so many years after the fact, Takuma STILL wants his mom alive in his heart of hearts (and thats why he can't see). And if Takuma had indeed truly moved on in regards to Hayami (like he did with his Mom in the train scene), then that's a very cruel reward for giving Takuma not only something that he hasn't asked for, but also something that might very well undo what he has accomplished.

Reminds me of one of the passages in the Christian scriptures, where Jesus asks if there's a father who would give a stone if his son asks for bread, or a snake if he asks for fish. I highly doubt God is that cruel, but then again, I'm a devout Christian (albeit admittedly, a lazy one). So if indeed Takuma has truly moved on from Hayami (of which I disagree), I'd have to give H2O an even lower score than I do now. While it's true that it would follow the theme, it would give me a message I totally am in opposition of.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 17:17   Link #1329
vio5555

Quote:
I think this is the problem a lot of people had including myself.

I'm as big a sucker as anyone else for a happy ending, but it just felt too convenient. I think it's because in some sense all of the troubles were distinctly human and had a very gritty feel such as the immense amount of human hate etc., but then all of the ending happiness was due to conveniently supernatural events. It sort of just took the emotions I felt because of what "humans were doing to each other" and tossed them out the window because they didn't resolve it on their own in the sense that their ending happiness had to be "fixed".
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 17:22   Link #1330
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
For me personally, the definition of moving on in regards to a dead person is that you have accepted that they're already dead, and that they're REALLY never coming back. Thus, if you even have the ouncest feeling that you wish a dead person was still alive, you haven't 'truly' moved on. This is reinforced by the series itself for me, because it can be argued that even so many years after the fact, Takuma STILL wants his mom alive in his heart of hearts (and thats why he can't see). And if Takuma had indeed truly moved on in regards to Hayami (like he did with his Mom in the train scene), then that's a very cruel reward for giving Takuma not only something that he hasn't asked for, but also something that might very well undo what he has accomplished.

Reminds me of one of the passages in the Christian scriptures, where Jesus asks if there's a father who would give a stone if his son asks for bread, or a snake if he asks for fish. I highly doubt God is that cruel, but then again, I'm a devout Christian (albeit admittedly, a lazy one). So if indeed Takuma has truly moved on from Hayami (of which I disagree), I'd have to give H2O an even lower score than I do now. While it's true that it would follow the theme, it would give me a message I totally am in opposition of.
Then I guess we just disagree on what acceptance means. I don't think the problem was that Takuma did or didn't want his mom alive -- of course he wants his mom alive! I'm sure Hotaru wished Hinata was still alive, and Yui wished her grandmother (?) was still alive, and so on. The problem was that he couldn't accept the reason for his mother's death; he thought at first that it was all his fault, and later that it was all Hayami's family's fault. That's why he couldn't accept it, and was why he remained blind. Once he understood the reason for his mother's death, his eyes were opened -- he was able to see everything and accept his mother's death. That doesn't mean that he still doesn't wish she were around sometimes (her death was still "in vain"), but it's no longer a stumbling block in his day-to-day life. It's a pillar of strength. Likewise with Hayami -- of course he wishes she was still alive, but he's still found strength by remembering her in her death. Her returning doesn't diminish that acceptance, it rewards/affirms it. It's not like he expected it, anyway.

If you're going with Christian analogies (makes sense), the message of Easter isn't just to accept Jesus's death (i.e. don't stop there), but also his resurrection. Fundamental to the Christian belief is the notion that believers will someday be reunited in Heaven. Of course I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but as an analogy, it's pretty applicable to this story (given that, after all, this is based on a poem that ostensibly takes place in Heaven with God). If you've been to any Christian funerals, this is also heavily repeated in that context -- that it's not a commemoration of death, but rather a celebration of life in the hope and expectation of being reunited some day. So metaphorically, I think it actually fits on a few levels, keeping in mind, of course, that there really isn't anything particularily "Christian" about this show (it's simply used as a metaphor/symbol, as are most Western religion in anime).

Of course, your mileage may vary, etc. etc. I guess I just didn't see it in the same way.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 17:41   Link #1331
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Oh god.......

How? How?! HOW?!?!

HOW ON THIS GOD'S EARTH, IN THE FRAK, IS THIS PERSON A GUY?????!!!!!!

I'm never going to get over this.....
Old 2008-03-26, 17:44   Link #1332
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
If you look closely in the beach episode, his swimsuit is oblivious to this minor detail. I'd venture even the animators didn't know until they were told to draw the scene with him and Takuma. Would certainly explain a lot.
Old 2008-03-26, 17:47   Link #1333
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
If you look closely in the beach episode, his swimsuit is oblivious to this minor detail. I'd venture even the animators didn't know until they were told to draw the scene with him and Takuma. Would certainly explain a lot.
You realize there was sarcasm in my statement?

But really, there is absolutely no indication in my image post above that he is male, and about 50 indications that he's the opposite.

Thank god I was always more interested in Hayami.......
Old 2008-03-26, 17:48   Link #1334
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
TRAPS are wins
Quote:
Well, I can't say that Takuma HAD any hope of Hayami coming back at all. In fact the windmill that he built was more of a "gravestone" for Hayami (for the lack of words) or a tribute to her (etc). I Just can't see how bringing Hayami back would be a negative for him, as even though he never wished or hope for it, the fact that it came as a surprise worth celebrating about. I think I can see where you are coming from that if she was going to be brought back in the end, then Takuma "suffered" for nothing over the past years but no one could have thought that this might happen and I do believe that he is greatful that it did.

I mean none of their experiences up til now has been a waste. They are all valuable memories whether good or bad, and just because she comes back I don't believe that it has undone anything of the past.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 17:51   Link #1335
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
You realize there was sarcasm in my statement?
Sarcasm does not exist on teh intarwebz. If you wish to convey sarcasm, the post must be followed with sarcastic emotes consisting of, but not limited to: etc.
Old 2008-03-26, 18:06   Link #1336
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
TRAPS are wins
Hamaji is win.
For some reason, Hamaji has a path in the PS2 version of H2O. Scary... so does Takuma just be friends with Hamaji or does magic work and turn Hamaji into a girl? Or don't tell me...

Quote:
Oh god.......

How? How?! HOW?!?!

I'm never going to get over this.....
This picture is win too.
Maybe a Hamaji hugging pillow will comfort you?

I've always wondered... but just why does Hamaji wear so many locks?...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:11   Link #1337
Ninjamasta

Just finished watching the series, and the ending kinda sucks and confusing for me. A dead person coming back to life just don't cut it for me.

Are they gonna make another OVA with alternate good ending? Since I figured they must have more than one ending plot for the game, might as well create an OVA just for us folks who want a good ending.
Ninjamasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:39   Link #1338
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

the ending was kinda lame lol, so why they didnt bring Otoha back to life also?

by the way, is Otoha still dead or what? it seems theres a woman's voice calling for her at the end, is that her mother? so is she also reborn? ...argh confusing.

The ending showing the characters maturing is done pretty good, I would say out of all, Takuma's mature character has show that he has learned to stand on his feet and see the truth behind what his mother did back than.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:46   Link #1339
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamasta View Post
Just finished watching the series, and the ending kinda sucks and confusing for me. A dead person coming back to life just don't cut it for me.

Are they gonna make another OVA with alternate good ending? Since I figured they must have more than one ending plot for the game, might as well create an OVA just for us folks who want a good ending.
Well some people like it (and I really don't see whats so confusing...ahh well ).

And no, I don't recall any OVA announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
the ending was kinda lame lol, so why they didnt bring Otoha back to life also?

by the way, is Otoha still dead or what? it seems theres a woman's voice calling for her at the end, is that her mother? so is she also reborn? ...argh confusing.

The ending showing the characters maturing is done pretty good, I would say out of all, Takuma's mature character has show that he has learned to stand on his feet and see the truth behind what his mother did back than.
Otoha is "back to life". She was reincarnated.

And your guess is right, the woman who called her is her mother.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:52   Link #1340
Frostsavior

Send a message via MSN to Frostsavior
This Series was great and though the ending was kinda not i was expecting it too be. Hayami coming bak from the dead! Takuma building windmills show the ability to continue his "goal" in life and to reinforce self. The ressurection was a gift in how Takuma was able to cope from his traumatic past.
Frostsavior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, kadokawa, makura, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs