AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-22, 02:06   Link #161
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Abenobashi?

Er, no. Abenobashi was made YEARS before TTGL. That episode was a parody of mecha in general.

TTGL's team formerly worked on that episode of Abenobashi, actually, and were inspired to make TTGL because of it.
(looks back on the date) Whoops, years FAIL me. I don't know HOW i managed to forget that abenobashi is already 6 years old haha. Somewhere in between seeing the months my brain went POOF and forgot what YEAR it was made in. But from what you said that makes perfect sense.
I blame lack of sleep and too much caffeine. I guess I should just finish watching abenobashi and go to bed XP

(it probably didn't help that I have some form of numbers dyslexia, and probably for some reason saw TTGL's year as 2002 instead of 2007 I seem to do that a lot with numbers. the whole flipping them backwards, reading them backwards, and omitting numbers without knowing it)

Anyways. I wanna see what Bandai comes up with for a trailer. I hope it's not another
FLYING PIGS GOORIN LAHGIN that was the fail of ADV

もいちど。。。
Old 2008-04-22, 02:34   Link #162
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
First of all, GL is in good hands with Bandai Ent plus it could be put on TV like Adult Swim and that will be a big plus.
As much as I hate VIZ Media, they would be the "best hands" in the current market. Bandai's the worst player out right now, they have no qualms with putting out a cheap, no mainstream appeal product for the sake of keeping the internet happy.

I'm ambivalent to the [adult swim] thing, as it could backfire as GL...well, it's fanbase reminds me a lot of One Piece. A lot of fans, and fans in powerful places, but not that popular with the average joe. And it's "mecha" to boot, people who register "mecha" as a genre are already turned off, and [adult swim] appeals more to the neurotic kids and the female fans rather than the shounen audience GL was designed for.

There's also no guarantee Simon Garlock will be getting an animation if GL does well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert's Corner
There is also a lot of speculation around the web that ADV simply lost the R1 license and Bandai then jumped on it. This is certainly plausible, however, I would forward another theory. Perhaps ADV sold the license to Bandai in order to raise much needed capital. ADV was in quite a pinch financially back in February, and Gurren Lagann was arguably one of their most valuable unreleased properties. In business when you need to raise money fast in tough times, sometimes you have to sell off your highest quality assets because it's all your competitors will buy quickly and pay up for. I would also speculate that by selling the license to Bandai it would have kept it out of Funimations or Viz's hands. Funimation is the absolute dominant player in the market now and they have the big corporate backing of Navarre Corp., and Viz has been extremely successful with the titles that are popular across large demographic segments like Inu Yasha, Naruto, and lately Buso Renkin. Between the two of them they have, frankly, been eating ADV's lunch
FUNimation is not the dominant player in the market right now, it's BANDAI. Bandai has the financial backing of Bandai Limited in Japan, which gives it deeper pockets (one of the largest toymakers on Earth?!) than the moderately sized Navarre, which, need I remind everyone, has been downsizing its operations and experiencing a massive bail-out of shareholders in the past year (since September 2007). My stock value lost 200% of what I purchased it for, and the target estimates for next year are also lower than what I bought it for. Navarre's in trouble, and FUNimation's focus on a "guaranteed hit" (One Piece, which I disagree with as being a hit at all) slows FUNi's release of other titles like Ouran and School Rumble, which were not only expensive, but are festering because people are forgetting about them.

Secondly, ADV sold off not only its "biggest" property, but it's *ONLY* property! ADV has nothing left if it invested capital into GL and wasted all that cash; that property was supposed to bring the company back above the surface, they haven't licensed anything large like that in ages. Not since Elfen Lied! Selling off GL is something that would happen in a bankruptcy, not because of some nagging short-term debts.

It's more plausible IMV that Bandai USA went to its parent and asked for the GL license so they can have a monopoly of all mech-themed shows, since they get to produce/import the toys as well. Gainax has been traditionally the only other company that does mechs beside Sunrise, and now Bandai has a grip on both.
Old 2008-04-22, 03:21   Link #163
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

CHEAP?

Bandai is not cheap. you obviously have not purchased any DVDs in the past two years.

Suzumiya haruhi is no way a cheap no mainstream appeal product. neither was mai hime or mai otome.

and if you purchased galaxy angel lune or true tears you would probably be driving around with gold plated rims, now wouldn't you?

So let me ask you, what company is appealing to you for 'hard-core' fans? MFI? w

Funimation has licensed plenty of shounen in the past, I'm not sure where this One Piece is going to save us! talk came from, but I wouldnt call a rehash of a previous release a 'guaranteed hit'

The thing I like most about bandai is that they include extras that they know the fans will love. the other thing I like is the low price of older box sets.

When I purchased Please teacher and Please twins, they came with the soundtrack. I can't tell you how ecstatic I was over that. I did not like the shcool rumble tin can (or the stellvia one for that matter) but the pins were ok, but done before.
Old 2008-04-23, 03:38   Link #164
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
CHEAP?

Bandai is not cheap. you obviously have not purchased any DVDs in the past two years.

Suzumiya haruhi is no way a cheap no mainstream appeal product. neither was mai hime or mai otome.
Three sentences in, I'm still unsure of how you're reading my use of cheap.

I'm talking about the quality of overdubbing and packaging (of extras, appearence, and all that) - basically, all Bandai does beyond slap its logo on something and call it a "Bandai production". The company is synonymous with poor quality, much like Geneon, and they're pricey to boot. At least ADV offers thinpacks and FUNimation likes promotions - what does Bandai do? License Lucky Star?

Quote:
So let me ask you, what company is appealing to you for 'hard-core' fans? MFI?
What in carborator county are you off on?

Quote:
w
Don't tell me you laughed at your own joke? o_O

Quote:
Funimation has licensed plenty of shounen in the past, I'm not sure where this One Piece is going to save us! talk came from, but I wouldnt call a rehash of a previous release a 'guaranteed hit'
All anime companies have been doing poorly as of late, buying up anime and hoping DVDs sell is a gamble and it's not one people are comfortable staking their careers on. Better to license a long running, steady income show like Bleach or Naruto rather than to risk on crab fishing in the artic, no? Gen Fukanaga hoped to replicate DBZ's success with One Piece and he's failing hard at that.

IMV, School Rumble and Ouran are some of the least risky "pots" to release into the ocean, they have popular manga tie-ins and are well-regarded adaptions. It would be silly to just let those titles fester; in SR's case, it's already got DVDs out yet practically no-one knows about then, and in Ouran's case, we have yet to even see a website go up.

FUNimation made some money off of the Negima! anime series, which almost everyone acknowledges to be utterly dreadful. If they can squeeze gold juice out of that dried prune, they should be able to with more popular shows like those two.

Quote:
The thing I like most about bandai is that they include extras that they know the fans will love.
I'm sure spending that extra $15 for a "special collector's box" is really worth the money. And textless openings - for people who refuse to think of Japanese calligraphy as art itself.

Quote:
the other thing I like is the low price of older box sets.
And who doesn't do this? Even 4Kids breaks down eventually.

Quote:
When I purchased Please teacher and Please twins, they came with the soundtrack. I can't tell you how ecstatic I was over that. I did not like the shcool rumble tin can (or the stellvia one for that matter) but the pins were ok, but done before.
While I can understand some people buying DVDs, I can't even fathom someone valuing a music CD (if one was fortunate to get it separate) given Japan's tendancy to format everything into .mp3's. .cda's? Sure, go for the CD. But with the unexceptional sound quality of an .mp3 you'd be no better off just getting the music off of the internet for free.
Old 2008-04-23, 23:54   Link #165
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
The voice work was terrible, but at least the translation was good. (Minus the lack of honorifics...)
No, very few honorifics are even remotely translateable and including them in an English script for dubbing is downright sloppy due to the fact that they aren't used in English. The notion that honorifics should always be included in translations of a Japanese product is an idea that only works with subtitles, in any other realm it is a preposterous and incredibly fanboyish idea.
Old 2008-04-24, 00:13   Link #166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are ways to provide the information that honorifics provide in english (such as changing from -san to -chan) without resorting to honorifics but it requires extra work. Sometimes the work doesn't happen.

You are watching a japanese film about japanese culture -- so not addressing honorifics via some mechanism is more of a fail.
Old 2008-04-24, 00:15   Link #167
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
No, very few honorifics are even remotely translateable and including them in an English script for dubbing is downright sloppy due to the fact that they aren't used in English. The notion that honorifics should always be included in translations of a Japanese product is an idea that only works with subtitles, in any other realm it is a preposterous and incredibly fanboyish idea.
No, you're wrong.

A lack of honorifics is acceptable in works that do not take place in Japan, with characters who do not speak Japanese, such as FMA or Gurren Lagann.

However, honorifics are an important part of the Japanese language, and help us understand how people think of one another. As they are attached to names, they do not need to be translated. The viewing audience should be familiar enough with the language and culture to understand what they mean. (If not, the licensors should include a quick lingual guidebook along with the DVD.)

The dialogue is being translated into English for our convenience, but they are still being said by fictional characters characters who are Japanese.

By removing the honorifics, you remove some of the viewers' understanding of the characters.

Of course, that is still preferable to translating them directly. (I swear, if I hear "Miss Asahina" one more time...)
Old 2008-04-24, 08:15   Link #168
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

IDK boss, I don't think people who invest in anime companies should say things like just go download it off the internet... w!

btw, geneon tends to not re-release low priced box sets, although they do give u a minor discount for purchasing the whole series in a set. In the past funimation wasnt too keen on releasing low priced box sets right away but now they are pumping them out quite often.

on a side note: I DESPISE abenobashi. One of the worst shows ever made and one of the few anime I regret purchasing.

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2008-04-24 at 08:39.
Old 2008-04-25, 22:10   Link #169
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Who the hell cares?! GURREN LAGANN IS BACK ON THE MOVE STATESIDE, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!

I still read that single GL ad in a Newtype USA mag with the Feburary release date and get extremely sad. But hearing that someone is finally picking this series back up is a dream come true. Besides, they've already been working on the dub and its possible that it's already done or near completion. Would be kinda dumb for Bandai to scrap everything ADV did so they can dub it themselves.
Old 2008-04-25, 22:29   Link #170
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
A lack of honorifics is acceptable in works that do not take place in Japan, with characters who do not speak Japanese, such as FMA or Gurren Lagann.
That's silly, since even if the works aren't set in Japan they make use of Japanese themes and iconography. There are a ton of puns in One Piece for example that take advantage of the surname - Given naming structure, like Gol D. Roger for example. Many of the costumes are also based on Japanese clothing; Kamina's dress is very typical of a low level yakuza, especially in the dream sequence where he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Quote:
However, honorifics are an important part of the Japanese language, and help us understand how people think of one another. As they are attached to names, they do not need to be translated. The viewing audience should be familiar enough with the language and culture to understand what they mean. (If not, the licensors should include a quick lingual guidebook along with the DVD.)
The only honorifics that are difficult to translate are -chan and -kun, since in the ELC people aren't as sensitive to equals and immediate betters than they are for the "highly distinguished" like those in academia or in politics. There are many translations for -sama and -dono, but that doesn't mean there's nothing for the former two - giving nicknames/pet names to characters often fufils the same purpose.

Example: In Pokemon, "Satoshi-kun" as referred to by Jesse becomes "Ashy-boy" in the dub. "Satoshi-bozu" becomes just "kid" or "Ash kid" when referred to not in the presence of the named.

Most people don't create nicknames anymore because the people hired to localise anime have no sense of creativity anymore.

Quote:
Of course, that is still preferable to translating them directly. (I swear, if I hear "Miss Asahina" one more time...)
That only sounds awkward because nobody refers to a peer by last name in the US unless the first name is a bit weird. I used to call my Calculus instructor "Raz" despite that being his last name, and in Junior High (inspired by Rayman) I'd call peers Mr. John or Miss. Jennifer as a general way of being more polite, using first names for only close friends. This was before I was even exposed to anime - it came off as awkward but a definable quirk of mine.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2008-04-29 at 04:44. Reason: Surname - surname, by - my
Old 2008-04-26, 11:56   Link #171
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
That's silly, since even if the works aren't set in Japan they make use of Japanese themes and iconography. There are a ton of puns in One Piece for example that take advantage of the Surname - Given naming structure, like Gol D. Roger for example. Many of the costumes are also based on Japanese clothing; Kamina's dress is very typical of a low level yakuza, especially in the dream sequence where he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
Alright, Gurren Lagann wasn't a good example. Works set in a location that, say, speaks primarily German or English, though, are what I was trying to refer to.

Quote:
The only honorifics that are difficult to translate are -chan and -kun, since in the ELC people aren't as sensitive to equals and immediate betters than they are for the "highly distinguished" like those in academia or in politics. There are many translations for -sama and -dono, but that doesn't mean there's nothing for the former two - giving nicknames/pet names to characters often fufils the same purpose.
Ah, but although "-san" can be used in the same way "Miss/Mister" is, it mostly is used to denote superiors and those of a slightly greater social standing, correct? Using "Miss/Mister" in that sense just sounds awkward, as real English speakers don't ever use it that way.

The point I was trying to make is that since honorifics are added onto a name, there's no need to translate them-- they're just part of the character's identity.

Quote:
That only sounds awkward because nobody refers to a peer by last name in the US unless the first name is a bit weird. I used to call by Calculus instructor "Raz" despite that being his last name, and in Junior High (inspired by Rayman) I'd call peers Mr. John or Miss. Jennifer as a general way of being more polite, using first names for only close friends. This was before I was even exposed to anime - it came off as awkward but a definable quirk of mine.
Weeird. Though I always called my teachers "sir/ma'am", as a way of respect.

In any case, yes, no one does that in the States. However, even if they are translated into English, the works still originates from and takes place in Japan.
Old 2008-05-01, 22:50   Link #172
crasis
See You Next Deculture

Send a message via AIM to crasis
So the bare bones sub release ($30) is going to have a collectors edition after all. Apparently the $40 version will come with a bonus cd.

Old 2008-05-07, 17:26   Link #173
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasis View Post
Apparently the $40 version will come with a bonus cd.
Going from the image that's been posted, it's the OP single.
Old 2008-05-19, 08:52   Link #174
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Look who's going to be airing Gurren-Lagann on American TV.
Old 2008-05-19, 11:41   Link #175
ChibiToon

SciFi?! ........I never saw that one coming. :/

I'm a bit disappointed... Mainly because I tend to forget that SciFi has an anime block. >.>;;; Plus, I don't know how SciFi handles their anime. Is there alot of editing/censoring?

CT
Old 2008-05-19, 11:54   Link #176
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiToon View Post
SciFi?! ........I never saw that one coming. :/

I'm a bit disappointed... Mainly because I tend to forget that SciFi has an anime block. >.>;;; Plus, I don't know how SciFi handles their anime. Is there alot of editing/censoring?

CT
Besides blurring out outright nudity and silencing curse words. None.
Old 2008-05-19, 13:15   Link #177
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Besides blurring out outright nudity and silencing curse words. None.
WHAT WILL BECOME OF OUR YOKO!!??
Old 2008-05-19, 14:31   Link #178
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
WHAT WILL BECOME OF OUR YOKO!!??
I don't remember any female nipples in Gurren Lagann. Hell even if they aired the DVD version of epiosde 6, Gimmy's really the only one risking a blur and if that's a lose to you...

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-05-19 at 17:12.
Old 2008-05-19, 15:13   Link #179
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
I don't remember any nipples in Gurren Lagann. Hell even if they aired the DVD version of epiosde 6, Gimmy's really the only one risking a blur and if that's a lose to you...
Actually, the guys have nipples. Just pointing that out...
Old 2008-05-21, 19:12   Link #180
ChibiToon

New update on the SciFi TV airing of GL:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-not-finalized

All you lucky FanimeCon goers get to hear the new dub actor list first. XP ^_^

CT
Closed Thread