AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-19, 14:39   Link #681
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Okay we have a few crimes going on here.

1) We need some avatars!

2) This show is only going to be 12 episodes. Seriously, why only 12.
WOW thats a shocker i never even bothered to look up the number of episodes thats really disappointing. Such a great series get 12 episodes while some other shotty ones get 23, my day just became a lot sadder.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:07   Link #682
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I really wouldn't take those Ginko scenes at face value DragoonKain3 since this episode is quite possibly the best filler episode ever.
I think he's onto something, though. I remember back in Episode 1 when Shinkurou had a giddy look on his face when Yuuno mentioned that he seemed to spend a lot of his time with Ginko.

Quote:
If this season is loosely based on the first light novel nothing in the romantic department will get resolved anyway I'm pretty sure.
Certainly not with only a handful of episodes left before the final Episode 12.
Old 2008-05-20, 08:21   Link #683
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 7

Oh wow, what an episode. There was so much in that episode that I could probably write a dissertation on it given enough time.

Tamaki's character analysis was outstanding. For someone that's only a side character, they've managed to put together an incredibly complex and well rounded character. At her core there's this fascinating dilemma which manifests itself as a sort of confused hypocrisy. She's the sort of character that wouldn't be out of place in a show like True Tears, except this show has taken an incredibly more mature and even handed approach to her characterization, asking us simply to watch her and appreciate her, but forgoing the ham-fisted plea for us to actually like her... whether we chose to truly sympathize with her or not is left purely as a choice to be made by the audience, and because of that, it's much easier to do so. I loved the comparison between her and Yuuno. There's almost this commentary on modern feminism going on with Tamaki. Her dilemma, at its core, is that she basically wants to be loved unconditionally, without actually having to give love in return. Hence why she seeks out these unromantic relationships, but is cripplingly disappointed when they turn out as anything less than ideal. Yuuno, on the other hand, represents the traditional woman who's happy to be subservient to the man she loves. The comparison speaks volumes. There's this question of freedom versus stability at the very core of this, set against the backdrop of the frustrating balance between feminism and traditional romance in relationships. Tamaki is free, but she isn't necessarily happy.

In fifteen minutes, Kure-nai managed to say more about a single character (a side character, to boot) than most shows manage to say in their entire run (I was planning on singling out a certain show, but decided against it). That was such an impressive character analysis.

And then, in the remaining minutes of the episode, Kure-nai manages to put up the counter-argument to the freedom versus stability question by showing an example of a life that was strangled by a lack of freedom for the sake of "no inconveniences". The doll symbolism just said so much. That was an incredibly elegant piece of symbolism. I wasn't sure if I initially wanted to believe Renjou when he said that Soujo was the only woman he loved, but I think his actions in this episode proved his word. He's another incredibly complex character, and even it probably isn't totally vital, I hope that he gets a bit more focus later on. This show seemingly has a capacity for very rich character analyses, so it's be a bit of a shame if he missed out. Actually, it's probably something that's been a feature of quite a few of Matsuo's works. He's really showing that he's a capable director. More episodes like these, and I'd certainly say that he's worthy of recognition. What he's put together so far in this series has been outstanding.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 08:38   Link #684
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

For the umpteenth time I have not much to say but nod along (at least virtually) and agree with Sorrow K's words.
I just want to add that the transition between the fun parts of the episode (Tamaki's argument with that love rival of hers or Yamie driving Shinkurou crazy as always) and the rest was masterfully done. You think this might be another filler, and bang, it hits you in the face with all the relationship issues which are commented in the post above mine. So often you see the combination of drama and comedy falling on its face, not the case here.

I knew these Kuhoins were living in the past quite a lot but Benika saying they actually regard their women as mikos, which are to be kept isolated for this reason was still somewhat surprising. Murasaki's father doesn't seem to have bad intentions but he can't break with all the family traditions, I guess he will need external help for that (cough, Benika, cough).

P.S. Only 12 episodes? Damn, Brain Base sure likes to leave people begging for more. First Baccano!, now this...

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 08:50   Link #685
ReddyRedWolf

Just saw the sub.

Surprisingly Murasaki appears to have an idea as to why women in her family can't get to choose men.

Shinkurou I'm so sorry for you but you're already tagged and waiting to be bagged.

You're branded a lolicon now and when Murasaki grows up a dirty old man.

Why do women around Shinkurou start to like him in their childhood years?

He's such a wimp when it comes to women.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 10:49   Link #686
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmmm..... interestingly enough, they referenced eps 6 in eps 7, from Murasaki's POV nonetheless. As such, I really doubt it really as filler material, because if it is referenced, then it must mean it's somewhat integral to the plot.

Thing is though, despite how great eps 7 in terms of Tamaki and the Kuhoins, there's still a major nagging in my head. That is, one thing I noticed upon mulitple viewings is that Ginko does NOT know the existence of Murasaki as of right now. As eps 6 suggests though, she knows the residents of the dorm, as 1) Kurenai mentions Yamie by name and 2) she was running towards the dorm, which means she has been there before being familiar with the area. AFAIK, Japan's streets, especially urban areas, are built like a freaking maze, so she must've been there before.

As such, wouldn't she be at least suspicious of the 'new tenants' (Murasaki, and Yayoi if she hasn't met her before), especially when the really young kid calls Kurenai (a teenager no less) by his first name with no honorifics at all? At the very least, she should ask their names and their relationship with Kurenai, no? And that's not going to how Yuuno got there, considering she is NOT a tenant of the dorms.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait till next episode to hold judgement, where Ginko appears again in the preview. I don't care what explanation they give right now, as long as they give one lol. I'm trying to rack my brain on this seeming plothole to no avail.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 11:16   Link #687
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I'm pretty sure that Ginko do know Yuuno in some way, shape or form and that all the hints coming from Shinkurou in the previous episodes where he asked her about Murasaki's family may have raised an eyebrow. Though really, Ginko didn't even appear in ep 7 so her opinions are still on hold. Not to mention that Ginko isn't the type to question on Shinkurou's personal affairs (like what Yuuno whould have done) so the jury is still out there to even think if she finds it strange. And it does seem that "everything" is back to normal now from the crackpot that is ep 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I knew these Kuhoins were living in the past quite a lot but Benika saying they actually regard their women as mikos, which are to be kept isolated for this reason was still somewhat surprising. Murasaki's father doesn't seem to have bad intentions but he can't break with all the family traditions, I guess he will need external help for that (cough, Benika, cough).
He actually hates Benika for targetting his weak spot

But, yea. I think Benika would be the one to help him get over the traditions in the end. Maybe that is the time when he will truely set Murasaki "free".

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 12:36   Link #688
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I laughed quite a bit at the lolicon mentions in thsi episode. About time?

It goes to show how well done this shows put together with the supporting character backstory, and how it works with Muresaki's development with the outside world. Tamaki this time, and going by the preview it looks like we might see more of the mystery that is Yamie.

Was a lovely treat to see more of Tamaki's soft side. I'd like to see more of that, though we don't have that many episodes left. Going by the plot change, we'll be seeing Shinkurou do his thing again soon.
Old 2008-05-20, 15:19   Link #689
daeyeth

As Kurenai continues to develop, I’m discovering that this series is as much about Shinkurou as it is about Murasaki and her interactions in the “outside world”. And this is turning out to be a good thing. I was pleased to see that Murasaki was out of that hideous drab she’d been wearing for the past couple of episodes and finally had on something sensible…Hopefully I’m not being misunderstood as some lolicon right now, like someone later in the episode. It’s just that Wizard of Oz outfit she’d had on was annoying the crap out of me!

Man, Tamaki really doesn’t hold anything back. Her interactions with Murasaki and how she loves to amuse herself by talking to Murasaki as if she’s just “one of the girls” is absolutely hilarious. You learn a great deal about who Tamaki really is, she’s portrayed in a very real light. The sign of a good anime is when the characters become more than just typical, anime archetypes. For instance, they could of stopped at Tamaki’s know-it-all perspective on men and women from a non-personal view. Instead, they go one step further and show her interacting with her boyfriend, displaying a very human side of her.

There’s not much screen time for Shinkurou and what you get is more of the same. I like Shinkurou but I’m thankful that Kurenai isn’t always about him. It creates more depth and rounds out the world. They managed to pack in a surprising amount of content in this chapter, especially in comparison to the filler crap we got in number six. We get to see the type of person Renjo really is. I see how they were going easy on the guy previously, trying to emote some sympathy for him, before they finally went out and said it: Renjo will be the jerkoff of the story. I mean just look at that snively, dispicable face of his.

How can you not hate a face like that?! At least we get a nice expression from after getting verbally owned by Souju, using his own words against him. I’m sure there’s a jerkoff or two above Renjo making him the way he is, but for now he’s a scapegoat for my hate. I admit that every story needs one these guys. They’re the ones that create the conflict, something that looks like is finally going to happen in the next episode. Appears like the real story is going to get rolling real soon.

Anime Analytical
daeyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 16:00   Link #690
ReddyRedWolf

Given the next ep preview there is someone definitely worse than Renjo.

Spoiler for Novel spoiler:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 20:25   Link #691
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

It's just a conversation...

Kurenai excels at "true to life" dialogue replete with it's quick pace, repetition, interruption and simplicity to maximize efficiency (but mask complexity). Tamaki's confrontation is a prime example but simply one of many. Most scripts (outside of plays) discourage this type dialogue as it can be confusing and at times difficult to follow, but in a skilled writer's hands such interaction can be brilliant, as Kurenai has so adeptly demonstrated.
mikesince83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 22:31   Link #692
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Really strong ep, even with the central dramatic figure (sorry, Murasaki fans) off in a side role. No more OP or ED, though? I thought maybe it was a one-off for the musical ep, guess not...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 22:50   Link #693
Eric10301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Really strong ep, even with the central dramatic figure (sorry, Murasaki fans) off in a side role. No more OP or ED, though? I thought maybe it was a one-off for the musical ep, guess not...
BSS isn't including the op/ed in each ep from 6+ on. At least I think thats what they are doing by releasing the op/ed separately.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 23:21   Link #694
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hmmm, didn't notice that. Well, beggars can't be choosers.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 23:25   Link #695
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I can't say I'm a big fan of BSS doing releases like that, since I'd like the choice myself whether to watch the OP and ED or not (particularly the ED, which is really good), but it's not going to stop me from d/ling their releases (mostly because they're the only ones I know doing this show), and the subs are otherwise pretty good.
Old 2008-05-20, 23:33   Link #696
Westlo
Lets be reality

Loving the full version of the ED theme Crossing Days.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 23:59   Link #697
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I can't say I'm a big fan of BSS doing releases like that, since I'd like the choice myself whether to watch the OP and ED or not (particularly the ED, which is really good), but it's not going to stop me from d/ling their releases (mostly because they're the only ones I know doing this show), and the subs are otherwise pretty good.
I am not sure how they do it, but if you downloaded the op and ed and have them in the same folder as the episode they play just like always. It saves them from having to sub them everytime with no change in the playback. When I played episode 6 and 7 the op played, the episode played, and then the ed played just like with the earlier episodes where they were all combined.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 00:06   Link #698
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I am not sure how they do it, but if you downloaded the op and ed and have them in the same folder as the episode they play just like always. It saves them from having to sub them everytime with no change in the playback. When I played episode 6 and 7 the op played, the episode played, and then the ed played just like with the earlier episodes where they were all combined.
Ah, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that. That's actually quite clever.
Old 2008-05-21, 00:23   Link #699
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Its called ordered chaptering, it can have its problems with playback on some systems but when it does work right, it reduces the overal dl required for a series by a large amount.
Old 2008-05-21, 01:20   Link #700
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Wow, that is quite smart. I never knew

Will have to test it out later O.o

And for the record, I quite like BSS myself

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, brains-base, characters, daily life, light novel adaptation, loli, shounen