AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-13, 17:29   Link #161
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Are we ever loved for who we really are? Are we ever known for who we really are?

You know, I wonder in how much Ranka is blind to his faults (sets him on a pedestal) and how much she sees them, and just doesn't care (loves him for who he is).
I absolutely don't see this as a healthy relationship at all. I myself would never want to engage in a relationship where I cannot receive valuable input to improve my character through interactions with my significant other.

Ranka's relationship with Alto is currently a crush, where she'd accept anything he dishes out. Her attitude thus far is borderline obsession, not one of equal standing.

Seeing them together does not give me a feeling of an actual relationship, but one of submission.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-13, 17:37   Link #162
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm not denying Ranka has a crush, but she's not the one who's slowed down her career to spend more time with him. As obsessions go, it's pretty mild.
Old 2008-07-13, 17:56   Link #163
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Are we ever loved for who we really are? Are we ever known for who we really are?

You know, I wonder in how much Ranka is blind to his faults (sets him on a pedestal) and how much she sees them, and just doesn't care (loves him for who he is). For example, when she was about to play Mayan girl B, and was obviously trolling for encouragement, and Alto told her, "Yeah, you're right, you probably can't.", she wasn't surprised at all. She knows he can be a bit of jerk sometimes. And there's also the fact that, whether he himself accepts it or not, he is a hero. He has, time and time again, put his own life on the line to save hers. Sure, he hasn't always (ever?) been 100% successful in saving her with his own two hands. That's where she's... mistaken. But is it that important? The point is, he's tried, and been reasonably competent at it.
She knows he's a jerk based on that?

And beyond Alto saving her life, and looking like a girl, and liking to fly, what else does Ranka know about Alto? She still knows so little about him after 14 episodes, and her view of him has been the same since episode 2 when he saved her, that it's hard to take her crush seriously.
Old 2008-07-13, 18:12   Link #164
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
She knows he's a jerk based on that?
Do you mean "How can you conclude she knows he's a jerk based on that one scene?" or "Do you mean she's learnt he's a jerk based on that one remark?"? Either way, it's not like he's a secret jerk or anything. He has a rough manner. For example, he didn't even feign polite interest when she got scouted. I'm sure she had plenty of occasions to see him angry and/or surly. They don't look that rare. She also knows that despite it all, he's a nice guy. Not a huge secret either.

Quote:
And beyond Alto saving her life, and looking like a girl, and liking to fly, what else does Ranka know about Alto? She still knows so little about him after 14 episodes, and her view of him has been the same since episode 2 when he saved her, that it's hard to take her crush seriously.
Yes, she didn't google him or anything, so she knows little about his past. But heck, it's his past (emphasis on "his" and "past"). Why would she snoop and/or pry? Other than that, she understands him well enough. It's not like he's complicated. "Nice guy, very touchy, bit of a grouch."
Old 2008-07-13, 18:29   Link #165
Terra

So you're saying you'd happily go out with someone long term who you basically knew nothing about apart from very base info. No thanks. I'd like to know more about that person. Their likes, dislikes. Knowing a bit about their past is part of getting to know what this person is like. It's hard to have a good relationship when a person hides things. And so far Ranka has shown no interest in breaking Alto's shell to get to know him properly. She just likes the shell. It's totally the wrong thing to be looking at for a relationship.
Old 2008-07-13, 18:31   Link #166
Tak

Quote:
Yes, she didn't google him or anything, so she knows little about his past. But heck, it's his past (emphasis on "his" and "past"). Why would she snoop and/or pry? Other than that, she understands him well enough. It's not like he's complicated. "Nice guy, very touchy, bit of a grouch."
You know again, how is that healthy. She knows next to nothing about the man she loves, not even his desire to fly. She doesn't even bother trying to get to know him, not even for once probed about his past.

Yes, you said its Alto's past, and that its his business. True, but Ranka doesn't even realize how Alto feels about his past at all, does she? She never tried. Whenever they are together, you do realize the only thing Ranka talks about is herself, yes? She never bothered to know. Besides, Alto is a pretty famous person on his own right, but Ranka doesn't know about it despite it being public knowledge. Its always her, her and her. Her priority is more important than anything else.

But Alto has no problem sharing some of his past with Sheryl, does he? No. In fact, Alto was almost too eager sometimes to share it when he had the chance to do so. Therefore, he is not too annoyed about sharing his past, provide people ask the right questions.

That is why Sheryl knows about Alto's desire to fly and thus offered him that very present on his birthday. That is why when Sheryl and Alto are together, their interactions seem more genuine. As for Ranka? Her relationship with Alto is nothing more than a crush.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-13, 18:39   Link #167
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
So you're saying you'd happily go out with someone long term who you basically knew nothing about apart from very base info. No thanks. I'd like to know more about that person. Their likes, dislikes. Knowing a bit about their past is part of getting to know what this person is like. It's hard to have a good relationship when a person hides things. And so far Ranka has shown no interest in breaking Alto's shell to get to know him properly. She just likes the shell. It's totally the wrong thing to be looking at for a relationship.
Who said anything about long term? What I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with two teenagers dating because they want to. Because they like each other and are attracted to each other. That they don't need to know all the details of each other's past before going out have dinner together. Whether they can build something more from there, it's something they can see later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
But Alto has no problem sharing some of his past with Sheryl, does he? No. In fact, Alto was almost too eager sometimes to share it when he had the chance to do so. Therefore, he is not too annoyed about sharing his past, provide people ask the right questions.
Actually, when has Alto ever mentioned his past to anyone? He's answered one of Sheryl's question about his love, or lack thereof, for Frontier. That's how she knew he wanted to fly in a sky.
Old 2008-07-13, 18:54   Link #168
Tak

Quote:

Actually, when has Alto ever mentioned his past to anyone? He's answered one of Sheryl's question about his love, or lack thereof, for Frontier. That's how she knew he wanted to fly in a sky.
My point exactly, because Sheryl bothered asking! And that Alto isn't irritated at all to answer.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with two teenagers dating because they want to. Because they like each other and are attracted to each other.
Funny, Lacus and Kira aren't older than Sheryl and Alto, but you've never used the 'teenager' excuse when discussing about them. Besides, this is Macross, being a teen is hardly an excuse.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 18:58   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wait, what? When, exactly, have I ever tried to defend the Kira x Lacus pairing? (I don't recall ever needing to.) But sure, why not? For the record, I have no objection either to Kira and Lacus dating because they want to.

Also, you need an excuse to date?

Quote:
My point exactly, because Sheryl bothered asking! And that Alto isn't irritated at all to answer.
And my point is that it isn't precisely the heart-to-heart you're trying to pass it off as. Neither is it him "discussing his past". You also have to take the circumstances into account, but whatever.
Old 2008-07-13, 19:03   Link #170
Tak

Quote:
Also, you need an excuse to date?
Not usually, but since this is Macross, and being a teen is hardly an excuse for hallow relationships.

Quote:

And my point is that it isn't precisely the heart-to-heart you're trying to pass it off as. Neither is it him "discussing his past". You also have to take the circumstances into account, but whatever.
Because it is not just her asking questions, but also Alto asking questions back! There is clear interaction between the two whenever they are together.

On the other hand, Ranka doesn't ask Alto questions and vise versa. What they see in each other beyond their appearance is highly questionable. Thus, again, like a lot of people here, we just don't see how that particular relationship is going to work.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 19:21   Link #171
Terra

Quote:
Who said anything about long term? What I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with two teenagers dating because they want to. Because they like each other and are attracted to each other. That they don't need to know all the details of each other's past before going out have dinner together. Whether they can build something more from there, it's something they can see later.

If they were strangers who'd just met then that's fine. You do take time to take to know someone before commiting. But they're friends who are now at the same school and have friends in common. Yet it doesn't appear she's even asked them anything about Alto.

In ep 10 when she finds out that he used to be an actor, she's disappointed that she appears to be the only one who didn't know. Yet earlier in that same ep Alto had given hints to her about it when he gave that advice to her. Instead she just goes even more fangirl over him knowing about acting too, yet never bothered to ask how he knows, or ask their friends how he might know. She put herself in that position to be disappointed at not knowing. They've known each other long enough to be past the shell and to start to know something more about each other.

As for Sheryl, she understands he's touchy about his past and is slowly opening him up. Yes it was just one question, but to get such an easy reply out of him isn't easy. He bottles his feelings up and generally doesn't share. So that fact she got something out of him shows not only is she trying, but she's starting to succeed. And she's doing it the right way by not pushing the subject.

Ranka's self absorbed and hasn't tried to get to know the real Alto despite having had plenty of chances to do so. Yes she finally managed to catch Alto's attention, but I can't see it lasting. It's all based on the wrong things.
Old 2008-07-13, 19:24   Link #172
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Because it is not just her asking questions, but also Alto asking questions back! There is clear interaction between the two whenever they are together.

On the other hand, Ranka doesn't ask Alto questions and vise versa. What they see in each other beyond their appearance is highly questionable. Thus, again, like a lot of people here, we just don't see how that particular relationship is going to work.

- Tak
They talked or texted at least once an episode for most of the episodes up to 11... I mean maybe it's not deep "I hate Frontier... there's no sky here." "Really? Well, I hated Galaxy, too!!!" pillow talk but that doesn't necessarily mean AltoXRanka isn't legitimate. I mean, if you really have feelings for someone it's not always easy to open up... which, ironically, they were able to do to a point at the waterfall in 13.

Which isn't to ship AltoXRanka, per se; AltoXSheryl have great banter, and an interesting thing going; and he does respond to her prodding... but alot of times it seems like (especially in the conversation above) their opening up to each other seems based on mutual angst, as opposed to a blossoming relationship.
Old 2008-07-13, 19:24   Link #173
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Before we get into shipping. I am going to tell you what I think about their characters. Then...move to romance thread

Spoiler for The Jump Off:

Ok...Digest that. when I come back I will explain why I said Sheryl is insecure and needy. I will also say why I believe Ranka is the "Strong One" and the one with the most potential for character development

And why after watching and dissecting this...Ranka has more than %80 chance for win.
Wow OD. I read your post with the intention of nitpicking any biasness an anti-RankaxAlto fan would say and everytime I find something you counter it with sufficient evidences from the show itself and made me think "Hey, she has a point..."

This behavior of Alto is already something we should already know, but it does make a difference when you have screenshots and detailed analysis to point it out. It just goes to show that despite our moral opinions on how he should act, it is what it is.

Seeing how you took your time to explain this point, you totally proved you're to be taken seriously. I yield. Your character analysis of Alto is more credible than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_minh

You know, I wonder in how much Ranka is blind to his faults (sets him on a pedestal) and how much she sees them, and just doesn't care (loves him for who he is). For example, when she was about to play Mayan girl B, and was obviously trolling for encouragement, and Alto told her, "Yeah, you're right, you probably can't.", she wasn't surprised at all. She knows he can be a bit of jerk sometimes. And there's also the fact that, whether he himself accepts it or not, he is a hero. He has, time and time again, put his own life on the line to save hers. Sure, he hasn't always (ever?) been 100% successful in saving her with his own two hands. That's where she's... mistaken. But is it that important? The point is, he's tried, and been reasonably competent at it.
I'm amazed at how majority can make this truthful post look like a lie. Only here in Sheryl nation. Reminds me of people who condemn innocents during the Blair Witch trials

I agree very much with this and I'm glad it was brought up. When they first met, Alto indirectly called her an idiot but Ranka wasn't even fazed. He tells Ranka as it is. He doesn't sugar coat things to her. He supports her but if he thinks it's too farfetched, he'll tell her. In episode 3 when Alto frankly told her to let go of his shirt, she passively complied, didn't she? I don't think she was even bothered that Alto was having tantrums and taking it out against her. Ranka is very much aware of how he is and she never faults Alto for it.

When Alto ditched her even after she told him that she has a present for him, Ranka never took it against Alto. It would be so offending to have the guy you like ignore your present for him. I don't know about others, but that's an emotional blow. It's always personal if you put in a lot of effort in it. Yet, when Ranka found out Alto's in danger, she basically shunned everyone who got hostaged and thought of nothing but Alto.

Ranka's attraction towards Alto isn't just a lame senpai-kohai one where the kohai is only about the looks and positive things then gets turned off if she finds out the senpai smokes or something. Ranka accepts Alto as it is as well. Is there any part of Alto that Ranka was shown to not like? What is it about Alto that would turn her off and disillusion her feelings for this guy?

Maybe someone here can jot it down. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
She knows next to nothing about the man she loves, not even his desire to fly. She doesn't even bother trying to get to know him, not even for once probed about his past.
Everything you said < Going to Galia 4 despite all odds and risking her life all for him.
Old 2008-07-13, 19:28   Link #174
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post

Everything you said < Going to Galia 4 despite all odds and risking her life all for him.
Ja, and how well did that turn out? Pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Which isn't to ship AltoXRanka, per se; AltoXSheryl have great banter, and an interesting thing going; and he does respond to her prodding... but alot of times it seems like (especially in the conversation above) their opening up to each other seems based on mutual angst, as opposed to a blossoming relationship.
I am not saying they are close to the stages of a blossoming relationship, but there is interaction, which is undeniable. Sharing mutual angst is well, still sharing. Prior to that, the both of them had nowhere to vent their frustrations.

Sheryl is not afraid to ask Alto questions, and have been trying to know more about him. Yes, so far Alto cannot recognize Sheryl's feelings and that their relationship is hardly a romantic one. Regardless, Alto opens up to Sheryl more so than he does with anybody else. Slowly but surely, and that is a good sign.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-07-13 at 21:06.
Old 2008-07-13, 21:05   Link #175
mike_s_6

Quote:
This may be long-winded, but I just have to make this spiel.

The thing is, Ranka was part of Miss Macross right? So she didn't hear the name of the judges and the name of one of them didn't pique her interest? (Or she was too nervous for her own sake and didn't hear when the names were announced?) Sheryl on the other hand seems to have made the connection instantly. Along her on the same table is an old, seemingly popular Kabuki persona aboard Frontier, surname Saotome...

"Hey, I know someone else named Saotome and he looks very fit for kabuki..."

When Alto was teased "Princess" in High School Queen, look at Sheryl's expression. She was definitely stitching things up. She probably realized that Alto decided not to follow the kabuki tradition of his family, and by the look on his face (apart from his current choice of career), he hates it. Aren't you surprised that she didn't ride on with teasing him?

Ranka all the while, has been around while Sheryl was picking up these clues. I'm partly surprised that Sheryl didn't remind Ranka that one of the judges on the contest she wanted to win was Alto's father, you know. Perhaps our girl really has some tact in there
Old 2008-07-13, 21:15   Link #176
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Sheryl is not afraid to ask Alto questions, and have been trying to know more about him. Yes, so far Alto cannot recognize Sheryl's feelings and that their relationship is hardly a romantic one. Regardless, Alto opens up to Sheryl more so than he does with anybody else. Slowly but surely, and that is a good sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Ranka's self absorbed and hasn't tried to get to know the real Alto despite having had plenty of chances to do so. Yes she finally managed to catch Alto's attention, but I can't see it lasting. It's all based on the wrong things.
...honestly, I don't know if Sheryl recognizes Sheryl's feelings right now. I mean, put yourself in Alto's shoes. I know, I know, probably next to impossible... but... try.

I mean, think back to Star Date. Alto doesn't give a crap about who she is, but he had a fun little date with her, a kiss, and when he went to give the earring back... almost kicked out by security. Of course she did then let him hold onto her earring for luck. But... grand scheme of things, that was supposed to be that. A fun little 'fling' for the both of them. Sheryl to go back to Galaxy and Alto back to SMS and maybe Ranka.

Fast forward to next episode; Sheryl can't go back to Galaxy. So, she's all up in his ish, calling him slave at school, and then enrolling in school. And, I mean, Sheryl's come ons are just so sweet in a clueless kind of way, but... push comes to shove, she's still "Sheryl Nome." Even when she's giving him his present, her chest still gives people 'hopes and dreams.'

I'm not trying to make the point that Sheryl is conceited; obviously she is , but my point is: if you were Alto, why would you even fuck with that? Even if you had the hint of insight that she might be interested, she's completely hung up on herself (maybe like a certain famous father figure you've grown to despise), to the point where you would always come second; and at the end of the day, if Galaxy were to show up... would she even bother to stick around?
Old 2008-07-13, 21:16   Link #177
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD
Er...No. If you remember I didn't say I was 99.9999% successful prediction of this couple... However unlike that other one...this team has real chance
IchiRuki is Canon. But I am not thinking about that. I am confident I can eventually change your views on characters....and my posting ability.
And the ability to garner support for Ranka.
That wasn't directed to you, that was a comment half said in jest to justinstrife.

Quote:
You said you believed that was bad advice Alto gave to Ranka. You said it was because “Alto’s running from his own problems”
What are Alto's Problems?
Sweets, you should've asked me to elaborate on that first. While I believe Alto's passion for flying is genuine, he did shrug off and ran away from his family issues and inheritance in order to pursue his dream. I would expand on this more, but as a matter of fact, the next episode looks like it'll touch on Alto and the Saotome household, as I keep telling everyone, when MF is in the middle of its story, let's just sit back and watch how it unfolds. After it's done, then we'll be talking.

Quote:
Alto's dependency on Ranka (Did you mean Ranka's dependency on Alto, or Alto's dependency on Ranka's dependency on him ?)
I'm not sure if you realize it, but this whole passage just saved me the time and effort of showing why I have such a big problem with Alto x Ranka.

While I appreciate you typing out your perspective on Alto to me (and I read your messages to me prior to this) I'm going to hold on to this and refrain from entering any discussion about Alto until the series has given enough to work on, especially how he's the least interesting subject for me right now. This is different from a character analysis on Bleach, as Bleach has 100+ chapters to expand Ichigo's character, and in fourteen episodes, Alto's character development is only beginning to take off. (I'd argue that his character development is heavily entwined with Sheryl's as Ichigo's is with Rukia's, but we all know some will violent disagree on that. )
Old 2008-07-13, 21:35   Link #178
Tak

Quote:
...honestly, I don't know if Sheryl recognizes Sheryl's feelings right now. I mean, put yourself in Alto's shoes. I know, I know, probably next to impossible... but... try.
I take it you are trying to say if Alto recognizes Sheryl's feeling right now. Well, obviously not.

Quote:
I mean, think back to Star Date. Alto doesn't give a crap about who she is, but he had a fun little date with her, a kiss, and when he went to give the earring back... almost kicked out by security. Of course she did then let him hold onto her earring for luck. But... grand scheme of things, that was supposed to be that. A fun little 'fling' for the both of them. Sheryl to go back to Galaxy and Alto back to SMS and maybe Ranka.
Which was an unexpected encounter/experience for the both of them, I would say. One that both feels quite good about.

But, the disappearance of Galaxy was like fate, wasn't it?

Quote:
Fast forward to next episode; Sheryl can't go back to Galaxy. So, she's all up in his ish, calling him slave at school, and then enrolling in school. And, I mean, Sheryl's come ons are just so sweet in a clueless kind of way, but... push comes to shove, she's still "Sheryl Nome." Even when she's giving him his present, her chest still gives people 'hopes and dreams.'

I'm not trying to make the point that Sheryl is conceited; obviously she is , but my point is: if you were Alto, why would you even fuck with that?
Because through both of their interactions, they have been lowering their emotional guard. Moreover, Alto certainly is fucking with it. After all, although Alto might not realize it, but he had unknowingly volunteered to be involved himself in her activities for the past episodes. Then, he accepted her invitation to fly in the sky that she offered.

Quote:
Even if you had the hint of insight that she might be interested, she's completely hung up on herself (maybe like a certain famous father figure you've grown to despise), to the point where you would always come second; and at the end of the day, if Galaxy were to show up... would she even bother to stick around?
Yes, she is a famous figure. She knows this, but that facade of her is becoming thinner and thinner around Alto. By episode 14, I can see her suddenly dropping her guard completely when she made Alto promise that he would come back in one piece, then proceed to see him off.

Alto, as usual, is being as oblivious as ever.

With all that had transpired, I don't know how much the Galaxy would mean to her at this point. She has hots for the guy, and she is beginning to realize it. Slowly but surely, that pain will eventually creep up on her.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 22:22   Link #179
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d
When Alto ditched her even after she told him that she has a present for him, Ranka never took it against Alto. It would be so offending to have the guy you like ignore your present for him. I don't know about others, but that's an emotional blow. It's always personal if you put in a lot of effort in it. Yet, when Ranka found out Alto's in danger, she basically shunned everyone who got hostaged and thought of nothing but Alto.

Ranka's attraction towards Alto isn't just a lame senpai-kohai one where the kohai is only about the looks and positive things then gets turned off if she finds out the senpai smokes or something. Ranka accepts Alto as it is as well. Is there any part of Alto that Ranka was shown to not like? What is it about Alto that would turn her off and disillusion her feelings for this guy?
BUT she should have! Come on. Why did he get a free pass? Different strokes for different folks I guess, but that's why I can't even begin to like Ranka x Alto. She does let him get away with treating her like crap as long as he's nice enough the next day. What kind of relationship is that even? She's so dependent on him any attention he gives her she's grateful for. She should be better then that. I'm not saying she shouldn't have gone to save him, or forgiven him but there should have been something more there. Moe stars, him getting a tingly feeling about it and giggling in planes just doesn't work for me. They could have actually had a meaningful conversation about why he went there and why he blew her off or why it was important, anything, but they didn't.

Then the second part of what you said basically says why I can't like Ranka as a character much either. She is solely obsessed with Alto and Alto only. Not worrying about anyone else there. Even after the events of episode 12 she didn't care a bit about Sheryl. Ranka accepts Alto, but barely knows anything about him and doesn't ever attempt to know anything about him. Sheryl doesn't know much, but she knows more and she hasn't even admitted to herself, let alone anyone else, that she even likes Alto. She tires to know more. When Ranka doesn't know something, she gets upset she didn't know. Not really because she wants to know, but because she's the only one who didn't know.

I still see Alto x Ranka as hero worship. She excuses his faults because when he's good, he's pretty damn good. I don't think Sheryl would allow him to walk all over her. Just like he's not impressed with her when she acts out and calls her on it. That to me is the makings of an EQUAL relationship, or a possible one at least.

re: the lovely codependent relationship. Being with Ranka because it makes Alto feel like a manly man just is about the worse basis for a couple ever. That is masking his problem and not dealing with the real issues he might have. He shouldn't have to be with someone to make up for something he lacks. You get in a relationship with someone who brings out the good in you, who compliments you, but not who you have to depend on so much without them you'd be incomplete.

Good lord, sorry for the length.
Old 2008-07-13, 22:38   Link #180
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I take it you are trying to say if Alto recognizes Sheryl's feeling right now. Well, obviously not.
No, I meant Sheryl not understanding her own feelings.

Quote:
Because through both of their interactions, they have been lowering their emotional guard. Moreover, Alto certainly is fucking with it. After all, although Alto might not realize it, but he had unknowingly volunteered to be involved himself in her activities for the past episodes. Then, he accepted her invitation to fly in the sky that she offered.
He's been... he dabbled, to be fair...

Quote:
Yes, she is a famous figure. She knows this, but that facade of her is becoming thinner and thinner around Alto. By episode 14, I can see her suddenly dropping her guard completely when she made Alto promise that he would come back in one piece, then proceed to see him off.
Hmm... well they both probably thought the other was dead before then...

Quote:
With all that had transpired, I don't know how much the Galaxy would mean to her at this point. She has hots for the guy, and she is beginning to realize it. Slowly but surely, that pain will eventually creep up on her.
Having the hots for someone is one thing; changing your lives so you can be together is another. Can go back to SDFM and see how well that worked for Minmay when she decided to stop singing and asked Hikaru to stop flying...

Anyway, I'm not trying to hate on Sheryl, I'm just trying to be realistic (well, in the Macross universe anyway). Alto just doesn't seem to believe in Sheryl much at all, and given his family situations, I can kind of see why he might not. Maybe it's a self fulfilling representation of Alto's attitude. I'm not even going to speculate on how things can change in that regard; but what it comes down to IMO is that no matter how much Sheryl prods or gets to know him it's not going to get her very far. Especially when Alto has got a loli moe to lean on and play hero for every few episodes.

Last edited by stray; 2008-07-13 at 22:54.
Closed Thread