AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-11, 16:06   Link #21
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

I hope they call Mute "Mute." I saw up to ep. 8 on fansub, and in episode 5, they started calling him "Mytho" in the fansub, as well as Fakia "Fakir." I don't think I checked Fakia's name (I personally prefer Fakia, though), but on the official PT site, they call Mute "Mute" (his character page is "mute.html"), not "Mytho." Unfortunately, it looks like ADV is going to call him "Mytho." I don't even know how they get that from "Myuuto." Mute sounds better, and makes more sense than "Mytho."

I just went and checked, and Fakia's character page is "Fakia.html"
Old 2004-04-11, 16:13   Link #22
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Say, for anyone who's watched a lot of ADV-released stuff, do you know if they have the tendency to screw up anything? And have they done mahou-shoujo/classical-themed anime before?
Well, ADV has worked with Wedding Peach and Pretear. Does that count?
Old 2004-04-11, 19:58   Link #23
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoRPioN9x
I hope they call Mute "Mute." I saw up to ep. 8 on fansub, and in episode 5, they started calling him "Mytho" in the fansub, as well as Fakia "Fakir." I don't think I checked Fakia's name (I personally prefer Fakia, though), but on the official PT site, they call Mute "Mute" (his character page is "mute.html"), not "Mytho." Unfortunately, it looks like ADV is going to call him "Mytho." I don't even know how they get that from "Myuuto." Mute sounds better, and makes more sense than "Mytho."

Its supposed to be Mytho and Fakir because they are based on names from ballet/opera/fairy tales. Its a reference I can't find at the moment, but I KNOW its a reference.

The Japanese just can't pronounce or spell out those sounds with the Japanese writing system so it becomes "Fakia" or "Mute". Mute also makes sense with Mytho's character though, it could be a double meaning or a pun that works in Japanese but not in English. The fansubbers also didn't pick up on this until midway through the series.

I can't wait to see the DVD covers. I hope they're pretty!
Old 2004-04-11, 20:59   Link #24
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoRPioN9x

It was explained in the fansubs that the R2 DVD inserts spelled the names that way.
Mute - Mytho
Fakia - Fakir
Ruu - Rue
Pike - Pique
Ririe - Lilie

Foreign words sound different in Japanese because they dont have the same sounds. I'm betting the webpage names (fakia.html) were spelled phonetically.
Old 2004-04-11, 22:12   Link #25
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

Okay, thanks for the information. About the Japanese sounds, why don't they call Mytho "Misso" or something like that? It sounds closer to it than "Myuuto."
Old 2004-04-12, 07:40   Link #26
wao
OK.

"Mytho" is based on a real character in a real German legend called "Mythos", if I'm not wrong. A lot of stuff in PRincess Tutu refers to real ballets and legends, such as Hermia and Lysander in one of hte eps in the 2nd season (and the episode was called A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Hermia was seen acting as one of the wood-spirits or something if I'm not wrong, and Bottom is also from that play, and also has a donkey's head, and they also use songs from A Midsummer Night's Dream...), and the reference to Prince Siegfried (guess who says that in the last episode - and also, the song Siegfried Idyll, and Siegfried's Funeral March I think...)... and so on.

So they would keep the spelling as intended. Nobody knew exactly what the producers meant until they put the spelling in the DVD inserts.

EDIT: And maybe "Mythos" as they meant it is pronounced "Myuuto"... "Mute" is pretty relevant though
Old 2004-04-12, 08:22   Link #27
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, why don't they just call him "Mythos," then?
Old 2004-04-12, 11:07   Link #28
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
They don't have "th" in Japanese.
Old 2004-04-12, 12:57   Link #29
lilitu93

Quote:
The pronunciation of "Mytho" (short for "Mythos") could also be influenced by the way it would be pronounced in German. The "y" would be pronounced like a "u" with an umlaut or the "u" in French. (It's more nasal than "oo" in English.) And the "th" would be pronounced "t". I've simplified it a bit, but I hope it makes sense what I wrote.

Considering all the German influence in the series, in English, I'd want to pronounce it "Muto" with the "u" the sound mentioned above, if the actors could pronounce it without sounding stupid. Or with a normal English "u" if that worked better for the actors.

I'm definitely interested in how the dub will pronounce names or what certain names will be (e.g., Neko-sensei--one of the jokes in the first episode won't work unless they change his name to "cat", but that might sound weird for the whole series. But that joke, IMHO, is a foreshadowing for the rest of the series, IMHO, and it would be a shame to lose it in English.) I doubt I'll watch the whole dub, as I'm not a dub fan in general, but the linguist in me is curious how they'll handle it, so I'll probably check out bits and pieces of it.

The most similar seires that ADV has handled recently is Pretear, and I've only heard good things about their DVDs. I have the Odex release, and I can't afford to double-dip at the moment, so I haven't seen them myself. I've yet to hear anything bad about them yet except that the box is pretty yet flimsy (not a surprise for ADV). I'm definitely planning on getting Tutu when it comes out and am very excited about this news.
Old 2004-04-13, 06:46   Link #30
wao
OK.

I think he wasn't called "Mythos" because nobody wanted to pronounce it that way. There are two scenes, at least, where he was called "Mythos". One was when Charon first found him, and shortly afer in the same episode, when young Fakir was walking with Mytho(s). I believe he said something like "Mythos is too long to pronounce, so I'll just call you Mytho, ok?"... Not that I agree with that, but yeah.

Princess Tutu doesn't have much Japanese references except maybe that scene where Ahiru is supposed to meet Mytho and goes stuttering in the Japanese phonetic system ^_^ And also names like "Ahiru" and "Neko-sensei". Hopefully if they did a good job with Pretear they'll do a better job with Tutu! It certainly deserves it!!!!
Old 2004-04-14, 10:29   Link #31
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
WHaah!! This is a big news, where was I all this time? >_<
Well, I haven't finished downloading Tutu either (those half-episodes were so hard to download). But it doesnt matter, since I decided long time ago that is it comes out I will get it.

I do hope they wont "sit on the license". I forgot who had Kodacha rights - that was terrible, i stopped waiting at this point.

Anyway. I hope they will put 5 episodes per DVD!!! its a long series and Im out of money ;_; And Dub - i wonder who will do Ahiri's "Ducky-sounding" voice ^.^

I only saw 1 eps. of Pretear (from Newtype sampler) - that was really nicely done.
Old 2004-04-14, 14:29   Link #32
Fronzel
Schmuck

Tutu isn't long, it's 26. Or 52 half-length, but not really as they're "10 part 1" and "10 part 2." I think they're melded on the R2 DVDs, and I would expect so in the R1s.
Old 2004-04-14, 15:33   Link #33
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Tutu isn't long, it's 26. Or 52 half-length, but not really as they're "10 part 1" and "10 part 2." I think they're melded on the R2 DVDs, and I would expect so in the R1s.
Correct. ADV confirmed that they are going to be released as 26 episodes on the DVD, but they had no comment about any plans to release the specials.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-15, 07:29   Link #34
wao
OK.

What I hope they have is the DVD-only scenes that were added in the DVDs... I am very interested in seeing those... If I'm not wrong they showed some of how Ahiru joined the ballet school and also... a very nice scene between Ahiru and you know who :x!!! Oooh, full of shippy goodness... There was this site that had very short parts from some of the DVD-only clips but it's down...

<_<
Old 2004-04-15, 09:49   Link #35
jennwenn

I wonder if there's any chance of a second series or a movie for Princess Tutu if it does really well in the US, like a co-production via ADV. There were definitely some things that could have been expanded!
Old 2004-04-16, 11:31   Link #36
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

A second series would definitely be nice but I personally liked the way they wrapped up the show. I found the ending to be very bittersweet and warm. Definitely a fine ending for an anime.

But anyway....I'm so happy! I love you ADV! I can't wait for Tutu to start coming out on DVD.
Old 2004-04-16, 12:03   Link #37
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

WOOHOOO!! I loved Princess Tutu so much that I will most certainly grab up these DVD's once the states!! Well, not for me. I got the R2 dvd's already. :P

I'd be getting them in english dub for my family (*provided they're dubbed well enough*) because I seem to be the only member of my family who will watch subbed anime over dubbed. They all prefer dubbed, even my mom. I've only gotten her to watch two anime that were subbed so far.

OH well. This is still great news. hehe.
Old 2004-04-21, 10:40   Link #38
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What I hope they have is the DVD-only scenes that were added in the DVDs...
Whaa? I didnt know there were extra bits o_o' Oh I cant wait now!
Old 2004-04-22, 07:00   Link #39
wao
OK.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/ahiru/vid.htm I believe I saw the little bits there.Is it ok to link there? They do have small bits of some episodes; but only really small bits... like 30 second little parts and stuff.

They do have small parts of such "Special Intros" (only small excerpts). Go watch the first one, it's quite exciting

You can see some screencaps from these intros http://www.anzwers.org/free/tutu/intro.htm there. (this one's rather odd though: http://www.anzwers.org/free/tutu/intro13.jpg ... do not want to see a half-girl half-duck, do not click.)

I really do want to watch the whole intros.... *_*