AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-07-22, 09:14   Link #1
toru310

Mozilla always feezes on me...

Hi, a while ago my mozilla is always freezing I don't know whats the cause...I mean even clicking on start a new season it still freezes...so I got desperate and installed the latest version(I have a older version of mozilla) and it seems to be fine..

So whats the reason behind my freezing? any ideas? Internet Explorer and my other browsers works..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 12:22   Link #2
Trickle

Is your computer crash or freeze free in all other respects?

Quick initial guess is a pluggin you have doesnt like the new FF3. Uninstall and reinstall FF tbh. Try to avoid all other toolbar *%$# that other programs (including the new AVG 8.0) want to push on you.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 13:00   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think the OP *used* to freeze or hang his application until he updated to the latest Firefox. The problem no longer exists but he was curious.

There could be dozens of reasons..... depending on how old your "mozilla??" was and other factors like plug-ins. Earlier versions of Firefox had a tendency to hang up if you let the Download Tool page get really big. Clearing out your download tool of file pointers periodically also improved performance and stopped hangs.

A big problem with older versions of firefox was the "I'm actually in the process tree 3 or 4 times". Scenario, you'd shut down firefox and sometimes it'd be ungraceful and leave itself in process list even though the user interface was gone. Invisible unless you looked at the task manager. Then you'd fire up firefox and it wouldn't quite come up. Maybe hit the button again. At this point, if you looked at the task manager process list you'd see 3 or 4 copies of the firefox process running.

Terminate all those processes and then restart firefox and it'd work fine.... but I imagine many people would just get frustrated not knowing that and reboot.
Old 2008-07-22, 13:59   Link #4
Trickle

Brain... cant... compute... question... about... fault... you... used to have... but... no longer.... do.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 16:14   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

So here's what Vexx said:

Did you cleanup your downloads list often? Firefox might have been bogged down to death from having too many downloads on the list (taking up too much memory).

Or, have you met a message like "another Firefox is already running but it's not responding" when you tried starting a new session? That means when you quit your last working session of Firefox, it didn't actually quit correctly, even if it looks like it's gone. Firefox doesn't appreciate having more than one session of itself running at a time. The last session has got to be completely closed. This is, however, NOT the same has having two Firefox windows open at a time. Mozilla has written the new Firefox to quit a lot smoother than before.

Or did Windows just bark at you and said Firefox crashed? That would be a whole other issue.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 03:27   Link #6
toru310

I think my mozilla is 2.0.15. something version..and yeah I did clear the download list...I also did a dozen of reboots to see if its just a bug or something but it still freezes on me..oh well I hope my firefox doesn't freeze on me since its the latest version...

Edit: I haven't deleted my cookies is that the cause of the hangs?

Last edited by toru310; 2008-07-23 at 04:33.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:29   Link #7
cyberbeing

You can take a look here for some common causes of Firefox hanging: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Old 2008-07-23, 17:33   Link #8
stewie0814

Well, you can always try to delete the Documents and Settings/user/application data/mozilla/profiles/ folder to reset firefox to a 'clean install', see if it still freezes after that
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 05:40   Link #9
toru310

^ Its kinda to late for that hehehehe since I upgraded it to the latest version due to frustration...but thanks though...

Thanks problem solved
Old 2008-07-24, 06:34   Link #10
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickle View Post
Is your computer crash or freeze free in all other respects?

Quick initial guess is a pluggin you have doesnt like the new FF3. Uninstall and reinstall FF tbh. Try to avoid all other toolbar *%$# that other programs (including the new AVG 8.0) want to push on you.
Now you gave me a good idea to speed up some of the workstations. Thanks for that tip!