AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-27, 01:21   Link #281
uebo7
Logan

Spoiler for ep12ode:

Last edited by uebo7; 2008-07-27 at 01:40.
uebo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 04:32   Link #282
BluWacky
尻の竜

Spoiler for Episode 12 partially:
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 11:53   Link #283
uebo7
Logan

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2008-07-29, 17:39   Link #284
BluWacky
尻の竜

Can I take from the general silence in the thread that we're all a bit "WTF?" at the ending? (those of us who've watched it, that is).

I can't really decide how I feel about the show because the ending is so bizarre. It's not impossible to understand the overall end or anything, and I'm not dissatisfied by any means, but to me quite a lot of what happens came out of left field and isn't easily explainable. Kaiba is a weird and thoughtful show, but not a symbolic one, and much of the last episode seems to be symbolic - either that, or it's just weird shit that Yuasa threw in, and I'm trying too hard to make sense of it.

I still think it's a great show, and I think it's much MUCH better than Kemonozume, but the ending has left me a bit unsure about how to respond to the series as a whole.
Old 2008-07-29, 19:56   Link #285
wao
OK.

Your entire post summed up my thoughts exactly, yes. That last episode wasn't godawful or utterly incomprehensible, but I feel very mixed about it. As a result I can't come to a conclusive opinion about the show.

One thing's for sure, I do kinda feel the tempo of the last episode just threw me off entirely. Something about it felt rather unnatural. And looking back at the show it surely turned out kinda different from what I expected it to be.
Old 2008-07-30, 21:49   Link #286
wao
OK.

More than 5 whole days after the show itself, I still haven't come to a conclusion about Kaiba. I still personally believe that
Spoiler for 12:

The reason why I'm double-posting, however, is because of all the Madhouse Yuasa columns I haven't posted about since the last time. And goddamn it, I'M SO JEALOUS

Jealous of the Kaiba staff because the impossibly awesome art director Kouno seems to be some kind of fantastic craftsman. Can you believe the amount of awesome stuff he's made? (you may have to scroll down quite a bit to find the picture)

Kaiba calendars.
Paper thingy you can change to different faces (pdf for making it available here)
BADGES (WANT WANT WANT)
A Kaiba customization for the Japanese Mac game "Makigame"
Kuroniko puzzle
Hyo-hyo gachagacha figurine (REALLY WANT)
Kaba mouse pad (and a fixed version of the faux Chocolate Nippo packets with proper spelling)

I couldn't help but just squeeeeeeee like an idiot over those. There's lots of other interesting anecdotes in the columns too, of course, but I'm too lazy to translate it right now. It seems like they had actually lost episode 12's storyboard for 2 weeks or something... until Yuasa found it in a thick stack of finished cuts (he had an earlier version of the storyboard though).

Also most recently there was a lovely illustration by character designer Nobutake Ito featuring nearly all the characters in Kaiba. It reminds me of how delightful and creative the various designs are. Sure gives you the feeling that the show is over though, it's a huge "bye-bye" pic.
Old 2008-07-31, 06:47   Link #287
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Man, I'm utterly intimidated by this show's unexpected depth. Though like others have said, there's way too many possible double meanings and a lot of supernatural occurrences (including that deus ex guy) that doesn't seem to make a lick of sense. In short, typical Yuasa production. I wish the guy settles his plot down to earth a bit more all the while staying out of the stratosphere with his storytelling techniques.

All that said, I must agree that watching the animation studio work is sort of like watching real animators and ARTISTS at work. Even with the best of anime, you normally don't get that feeling.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-07-31 at 06:59.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 13:07   Link #288
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Can I take from the general silence in the thread that we're all a bit "WTF?" at the ending? (those of us who've watched it, that is).
I only watched it just, but I didn't find it to be confusing or ambiguous in the slightest. In fact, while I don't consider Kaiba to be the greatest thing ever, I thought that the last episode and the series itself lived up to their promise and my own expectations.

Yuasa can be sometime a bit flaky regarding his endings, but Kaiba was nothing like that. Actually, I think the last episode only made me love the series even more, since it reinforced all of my favourite themes of this anime, namely abstraction to the extreme of science fiction visions and accented tenderness.

- Abstraction. I very much liked the way in which ideas of SF literature and film were presented in a non-representational, non-natural fashion that nonetheless captures their inner qualities. Animation is, probably, the only performance art that can possibly utilize Cubism or Futurism or Suprematism to visualize a straight-forward science fiction story.

Regular painting or films of science fiction subjects tend to gravitate toward classical realism. Even anime in general is usually a haven of naturalists, depicting things as they would appear in reality (some are more stylized, others — less so), while Kaiba attempted to be one of the few animation works that utilized abstract art as a ubiquitous medium, and not as some gimmick to be used in a single scene.

- The second part proceeds from the first. Abstraction of form, presentation of people in a non-representational manner, allows for a truer, keener, clearer look at their personality and the state of their emotions. So, in a way, the non-realistic manner in which characters were depicted only underlined their humanity and the strength of their feelings.

What I mean by this is that Neiro might look like a spindly mess with rabbit ears, but you can feel her personality stronger because you are no distracted by a realistic presentation of Neiro as human. And speaking of which...

I would also like to add how much I liked Mamiko Noto in this episode. While generally I dislike fluff voice actors like her and the groundless buzz they generate in the fandom, I thought that she really made the ending of Kaiba work. Sure, she was the one who had the most lines in this episode, but I thought that she delivered them with such a passion that really made the things I've written about in the previous couple of paragraphs be true. Seriously, that was an exemplary performance.

Spoiler for other things I liked:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 23:09   Link #289
uebo7
Logan

Subs for episode 10 just came out earlier today and for someone like me who doesn't know that much japanese, there was some new information.

After Kaiba brought Neiro back and went on the roof, he was talking about his past. He remembered stuff as if he were actually there. Does that mean that Kaiba is the original Warp? If that's true, how old would that make him? Also why was his body industructable?
If he wasn't the original Warp Then maybe all of the Warp clones share the same memory of before the first one was cloned. And why were they making clones for successors? First the king just had six children, but now for some reason they're making clones of one. Was that maybe an easier way to get a successor rather than one killing the rest?

There's another thing i was wondering about. If there's clouds seperating the upper and lower parts of the world that make you forget stuff, how does Kichi bring people safely back and forth? If it's that easy how come those other guys keep trying to get up by air balloon?

I know i'm asking a lot of questions but there's one more thing. When Kaiba is pretending to point his gun at Neiro to fool the security robots, he asks her to let him transfer her memories. Why doesn't she just let him? Is she doubting him because of what dada told her? And how is that much different than what he ended up doing anyway minus the memory hunting?
Old 2008-08-01, 06:26   Link #290
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's gonna feel quite strange going into the last episode after having heard some people's thoughts on it from this thread. I'll go into it with an open mind as always -- that's how i've always treated this show, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite shows this year.

Yet again great words from MrProphet. Someone who truly understands this show. :3
Old 2008-08-01, 13:39   Link #291
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
That's very kind of you to say.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 17:27   Link #292
Aquillion

Keeping in mind I still haven't seen ep. 12...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Episode 11 out. Wee, no more delays due to damnable sports!

Spoiler for 11:
No, that's backwards; look more closely.
Spoiler:

And another thing, regarding Kichi:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-08-07 at 17:53.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 21:16   Link #293
issei

there was definitely a very clear progression in terms of the narrative's cohesiveness -- like rolling up a ball of yarn after a cat's taken it apart.

after watching episode 12, kaiba's impact is less immediate for me than that of yuasa's other works, but it had a genuine ending that closed the book on the series and left me satisfied.

regarding the climactic battle:
Spoiler:

the usage of pastel colors in this episode was simple, but deft.
Old 2008-08-08, 04:53   Link #294
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for Episode 12:

Overall, I think Kaiba was a great show and I'm satisfied with the ending, but I feel it could have been done better.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 07:52   Link #295
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Having finally seen the last episode, i can understand why people would be upset with that type of ending, though i'm glad i'm not one of them. It was satisfying, and did the show justice in my eyes. Shame we didn't see a bit more closer between Kaiba and Neiro, though it's not something needed, just would have been rather nice to see at the end.

I guess whati really liked about the last episode was
Spoiler for Episode 12:
Old 2008-08-09, 16:32   Link #296
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Having finally seen the last episode, i can understand why people would be upset with that type of ending, though i'm glad i'm not one of them. It was satisfying, and did the show justice in my eyes. Shame we didn't see a bit more closer between Kaiba and Neiro, though it's not something needed, just would have been rather nice to see at the end.

I guess whati really liked about the last episode was
Spoiler for Episode 12:

I too am happy with the ending even the meguu elixir.

Besides you can't beat this line from Kaiba to Neiro...

Before I met you, there was nothing.
Old 2008-08-10, 07:20   Link #297
katel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Thanks for the link! It's a pity it's really short, but from what little there was it seems kinda clean. No shadows though, as one would expect (unless I'm blind.)

I guess it was aired just a few hours or less ago as a TV spot on WOWOW and someone immediately ripped it out...

first sory my bad english.
romeo x juliet needed a strong ending. tragedy
i dont think this series need a sad ending. from the start that memory thing was a tragedy. and im glad enemy wasnt popo at the end.before last episode for me this show was 10\10. im happy with this ending. director is an original guy. he is not going to make sad ending just to satisfy audience. or to adjust series atmotsphere. he did what he likes. im waiting his next bizarre series.
katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 13:27   Link #298
BluWacky
尻の竜

Okay, fellow Kaiba fans/watchers, I need your help.

Before I do my final crappy blogaroo of the last few episodes, I've been trying to put together a timeline for the events of the series to make sure I really understand what's happened. All six of the rest of the readers of this thread must be able to help me somewhere along the way! If anyone would be willing to check and/or comment what I've got down here I'd be very grateful...

Spoiler for THE ENTIRE SHOW, FOLKS, THIS IS VERY LONG:

Phew, that was long, but any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2008-08-10, 15:05   Link #299
jsieczkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Okay, fellow Kaiba fans/watchers, I need your help.

Before I do my final crappy blogaroo of the last few episodes, I've been trying to put together a timeline for the events of the series to make sure I really understand what's happened. All six of the rest of the readers of this thread must be able to help me somewhere along the way! If anyone would be willing to check and/or comment what I've got down here I'd be very grateful...

Spoiler for THE ENTIRE SHOW, FOLKS, THIS IS VERY LONG:

Phew, that was long, but any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Spoiler for Response to spoilers quoted.:
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 22:52   Link #300
uebo7
Logan

Spoiler for reply to BluWacky:

Tags
wierd