Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-23, 18:30   Link #601
Traece
:cool:

So for Episode 7...

Welcome to... THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: Marriage Edition.

Today we Mr. Nogizaka-san. Mr. Nogizaka-san is under the impression that he can have his way in the family concerning his daughter's hobby. For those who might get confused, the daughter looks just like the mother, a little sidenote.

Alright, here it goes. Mr. Nogizaka-san is coming out with his hatred for the hobby... Oh! The boyfriend is standing up to him! He doesn't look to happy about that.

W-Wait.. What's this? OH LORDY! THE WIFE JUST SHOWED UP! W-Wait... It appears Mr. Nogizaka-san has broken out into a cold sweat! They're leaving the house... And... It appear Mr. Nogizaka-san is apologizing to the boyfriend and his family! They've just boarded a helicopter, and yes... Yes, they've left. Once again another show of rule #1 here on Rules of Engagement: Marriage Edition. Rule #1, the wife ALWAYS wins.

Heh, I loved all the parts where Yuto kept imagining him ending up having sexual relations with his significant other. The hilarious thing is the way in which he imagines it, over and over again, and it takes over his mind and memories like it would in real life. Though I have to say, the scene of him lowering Haruka into bed while on top of her was really cute and romantic. If the scene was real, I wouldn't complain or get jealous. <_<;

... ... I'm surprised nobody made an animated avatar / signature of Maid WALLSMACK!

Edit: As far as letting her hold my hand and sleeping beside her... For that sort of discomfort... Screw it, I would've just slept on the floor beside her bed. At least I'm not hanging three of my four limbs off the edge. Plus, I can stare at something adorable while I sleep. ^_^
Old 2008-08-23, 19:27   Link #602
Edgewalker
Nani ?

This continues to be an excellent example of a show that fails so hard it loops back to win. I find myself watching it for the sheer lulz at just how absurd it is. Its almost as if they were trying to make a character as moe as humanly possible.
Old 2008-08-23, 19:33   Link #603
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
It is the episode number 7, actually. I personally was away from the forums for some time and called it number 6. Then i see several people add one point to the count and call it number 8. In fact I dont find the episodes so similar to one another so that one can easily lose count but it does happen as we can see.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
Old 2008-08-23, 22:41   Link #604
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
This continues to be an excellent example of a show that fails so hard it loops back to win. I find myself watching it for the sheer lulz at just how absurd it is. Its almost as if they were trying to make a character as moe as humanly possible.
They're doing that. And as far I'm concerned, it's a freaking big success.

Never forget
Old 2008-08-24, 08:00   Link #605
GreenyOSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Edit: As far as letting her hold my hand and sleeping beside her... For that sort of discomfort... Screw it, I would've just slept on the floor beside her bed. At least I'm not hanging three of my four limbs off the edge. Plus, I can stare at something adorable while I sleep. ^_^
He could just as well have slept backwards and upside-down...
He'd be able to hold her and in a reasonably comfortable position.
And he could easily stare at her.
Old 2008-08-24, 12:37   Link #606
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
Again with the late responses, but after reading through a few from those who have gone before, I'd have to agree that the amount of suspension of disbelief is reaching a limit and that it's a matter of time before this really becomes painful. The show does lead us to believe we're arriving at an actual conflict now, so maybe things will become better, but I doubt it.
You expecting too much, I do agree the suspension of disbelief is going overdrive in episode 7 though.

I just watching this for fun and don't think too hard about it.

And yes, the anime producers throwing every trope they have for turn ons (moe) as much as humanly possible.
Old 2008-08-24, 14:19   Link #607
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
I'm with Overfunk on this one. It's working on me. Fabulously.

Noto Mamiko's voice coupled with Haruka's MOE eyes are a freaking weapon. Who could possibly say "no" a person with that sort of eyes and voice?

If Nogizaka Akiho's (Haruka's mother) appearance is any indication of what Haruka would be like when she grows up, Yuuto should just give it up and seek her hand in marriage straightaway. You know this girl is going to become even better in the future.

Just a random thought... Haruka's father is really not in a position to say "no" if Yuuto does seriously ask to marry Haruka later. There are indications that he himself married into the Nogizaka family, depending on the Nogizaka family's (i.e his wife) power and influence to make his mark in the world. Why else would such a powerful man be so deathly afraid of his wife?

Besides, even if he refused, Akiho could simply veto his decision.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2008-08-24, 15:02   Link #608
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht View Post
Who could possibly say "no" a person with that sort of eyes and voice?
*distant eyes*
Are you seriously asking that question?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-08-24, 15:55   Link #609
SkoolRumble4Ya

I like the part where Yuuto was holding Nogizaka hand when he was in bed. The father ain't so tough now when his wife punked him. Alot of blushing between Yuuto and Haruka. I guess the father was trying to protect because she might experience trauma again. One problem is solved now there is the problem at school and the love rival.
Old 2008-08-24, 17:39   Link #610
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Its almost as if they were trying to make a character as moe as humanly possible.
Bingo. I imagine that is exactly what the director, writer and producers said at the very first story meeting. And they have been succeeding brilliantly so far.

I'll bet Noto Mamiko's name was the next thing they said. This is Noto-kawaii-yo-Noto doing what she does best. Like Haruka, she is also a very bright woman. The episode of Touka Gettan that she wrote was one of the best.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-08-24, 19:11   Link #611
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
*distant eyes*
Are you seriously asking that question?
I assume they forgot to add "besides serenade_beta".
Old 2008-08-25, 02:36   Link #612
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Hmm, an ok episode 7. It was bound to happen for Haruka's father to find out about her hobby. It was pretty much how I expected to be so my expectations of something really funny happening this episode was low. As always it seems the woman "wears the pants" in the family. Heh.

I'm looking forward to the next episode though because I always loved how Mika always tease Ayase. It always fun to see his troubled face.
Old 2008-08-25, 02:54   Link #613
yongshun

LOL episode 7 was insane, dad looks like the butler from "They are my Noble Masters", and is that a copy of "Kino's Journey" in when the dad was stomping on all that stuff? Sis pulling out that sword and fighting the father was pretty cool. The best part is seeing Hungover Hazuki spotting the Hellhound member.
Old 2008-08-25, 04:42   Link #614
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Episode 7 was awesome. Haruka is TOOOOOOO cute. She could ask me to jump off a cliff and I'd do it

Yuuto was pretty cool standing up to her father
Old 2008-08-25, 08:10   Link #615
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 7

This is our hero shot.

No comment on the events that transpired in this episode, plot-wise, other than it somehow managed to be over-the-top and predictable at the same time. Almost as if nothing this show is doing is new other than the extent to which it's doing it to. Hmmm...

But there was another scene in which Haruka, our lovely innocent and naive Haruka, was again the initiator of a romantic moment. I noticed Deathkillz called it a misunderstanding. I'm not convinced, but then it makes the two differing components of her character... shy, naive and innocent on the one hand, but always the first to make the move romantically with Yuuto and the instigator within their relationship on the other, close to irreconcilable. Hey, I'll admit both would be an ideal for a woman in any anime nerd's eyes. But it's too good to be true in real life, and it's an inconsistency in a piece of literature.

One of the worst things a film, an anime, a book (or whatever) can do is remind someone of a work that's a million times better while watching it, even if that's inadvertent. I have no idea why, but when I saw Mr. and Mrs. Nogizaka, I started thinking about Michael and Kay Corleone. It was a purely random thought, possibly spawned by the fact that I rewatched The Godfather recently, since the only similarities are that he's the head of a powerful, yet shady organization and that if you squint and look at Mrs. Nogizaka from a certain angle, she kinda resembles Kay Corleone (Diane Keaton). But I shouldn't be thinking about what is arguably the greatest movie franchise ever made while watching a frivolous, forgettable anime rom-com... it doesn't lend itself to favourable comparisons. I was hoping against hope that maybe Mrs. Nogizaka would launch into a dramatic diatribe about aborting their only son to prevent a male heir being born into the family and thus ending the Nogizaka legacy. Yes, it would have been completely random and jarring, but at least it would have made things interesting.

Well, comparing this to one of the all time great movie series is silly and futile, because it's not an apt comparison in the first place, and there's no way it could compare. But every time I've tried to compared this with something, it's come up short. Lamune. Karin. Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. This last one I've yet to "publish" in any form but has been a mental WIP for a couple of weeks. They're both similarly trite and have absurd storylines and their main hooks are the eccentricities of their female leads and the way they interact with the capable, yet grounded male protagonists. Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo has better characters than this, IMO, and that's all I'll say about that for now. But, my question is, just what do I have to compare this with to have NHnH come out on top? That isn't in the dregs, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I just do not get the complaints about the show being unbelievable. This is a comedy, not a drama. And it's largely a comedy of the absurd. This show throws its protagonists into odd situations and lets them get out of them by the force of their mutual affection. What's wrong with that?

I mean, which animes are totally logical? Sekirei, with its winged fighting girls? Mushishi, with a magical wandering priest who can exorcise amoeba-like viruses? Gundam, with its physically improbable mechas? KimiAru? Ichigo Mashimaro? Code Geass, for gosh sake, is simply ridiculous, in my opinion. But each of them, and this show, creates a separate reality that works on its own terms.
There's a difference between "realistic" and "logical". It's an important difference, and I think we should, where possible, avoid putting too much emphasis on "realism" as a criteria to judge a show (except where a show is asking for it) and more emphasis on "logical". Not that I'd consider Code Geass a shining example of "logical". Mushishi was sound, but it never tried to extend itself on this front. Higurashi Kai is a good example of "logical" that I can think of off the top of my head.

The difference between this and other shows is that there's this big inconsistency with how its set up its own reality and internal logic. We, as an audience, only have our own real world and experience as a reference for what goes on on-screen. The rest has to be established with how much detail we're given about the series' setting. This show bounces about between tangible and off-the-wall. One minute, we're at Comiket, buying doujins and looking at Dokoro-chan cosplay, the next, we have trained militants with helicopters and barricades pointing sniper rifles at poor Yuuto's front door. And four episodes prior to this, we were dealing with social ostracizing and the dangers of stereotyping. And while all this happens, Haruka maintains her unbelievable perfection as the ideal "otaku" girlfriend/wife. It's like that scene from the Poochy episode of The Simpsons where the makers of Itchy & Scratchy were focus group testing their show. "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall... and swarming with magic robots?" Replace the magic robots with a mercenary security group controlled by someone who may or may not be in charge of an organized crime syndicate, and that's NHnH. Such an inconsistency rarely works.
Old 2008-08-25, 11:37   Link #616
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

well to me this is really a good anime predictable yet good but if this haapens to randomly again many complaint ............complaint ................complaint ..................complaint

nothing but............complaint

why can t poepl just enjoy a really good art worked anime but hey who am i to judge im just stating my opinion os there heheh peace man peace

any way i jsut hope that he is very very very determined for haruka`s sake if else man i will march at the front door of the production studio and beat tthe producer to a pulp
Old 2008-08-25, 11:43   Link #617
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Episode 7 was more or less everything i expected it to be - some of the usual fluff (Though Yuuto didn't really impress me much this time around), a lot of teasing and a madman of a father (i was getting SnH flashbacks here) with his own private army. And a wife that makes him tremble in terror. Classic setups, but hey - it is classic because it works

While nothing particullary outstanding and quite foreseeable, i still ended up enjoying the episode. Hazuki got to shine this time around - watching her disoriented because of being drunk was quite priceless. I never expected they could pull much comedy from her when she was first introduced, but she is coming along quite nicely

Well then, with her hobby issues at home more or less solved, all that is left to see is Shiina crush and burn in her attempts to win Yuuto's heart and Haruka's father eventually coming to accept their relationship. (Or being forced in to accepting it, as i can't imagine her mother being anything but supportative).

Pretty much "as expected" episode ... lets see where they atke it from here now that all players (i assume) are on the stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
But there was another scene in which Haruka, our lovely innocent and naive Haruka, was again the initiator of a romantic moment. I noticed Deathkillz called it a misunderstanding. I'm not convinced, but then it makes the two differing components of her character... shy, naive and innocent on the one hand, but always the first to make the move romantically with Yuuto and the instigator within their relationship on the other, close to irreconcilable. Hey, I'll admit both would be an ideal for a woman in any anime nerd's eyes. But it's too good to be true in real life, and it's an inconsistency in a piece of literature.
Of course she is too good to be true - that much was clear since episode 2. From storytelling point of view i see no problems with it though. Are you saying one can't have a story featuring a female that is too good to be true ? I think this is more of your personal preference than an actual flaw of the show. There is no inconsitency in her character either - she has stayed true to her character as she has been introduced and doesn't perform any out of character actions. You might find her hard to swallow, but this has nothing to do with the consitency of her character. Haruka has been fairly consistent through the show.

Quote:
The difference between this and other shows is that there's this big inconsistency with how its set up its own reality and internal logic.
I disagree with this statement to the utmost extent possible. While there are things that can be questioned about this show and are dependant on one's tasetes, there are no internal inconsistencies within the show itself.

Quote:
We, as an audience, only have our own real world and experience as a reference for what goes on on-screen. The rest has to be established with how much detail we're given about the series' setting. This show bounces about between tangible and off-the-wall.
I can't say i fully agree with the message of your first sentence. People are fully capable of watching and enjoying premises that offer details that are impossible to relate to real life. While there certainly are places where such a concept can play a notable role in establishing the mood and be an essential part of the setting (Gost in the Shell for example), it requires for a show to be aiming for realism in the first place. As you have noted, this shows bounces back and forth between tangible and random. It has been that way since the start. Hence it has very clrealy established from day 1 that it isn't going to be a very serious show. Hence i can't see the problem, and i can't really relate to where you are coming from. I can't help but feel such criticism misplaced in a comedy show.

The setting is not what is supposed to be the serious part here. Just about the only thing this show takes seriously is the relationship between Yuuto and Haruka. The rest is comedy to varous degree, (albeit not the best one) with the sole purpose of providing enviroment for said relationship to grow, so it should be held up to that standard, instead of judging it by criteria it never tried to meet in the first place.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2008-08-25 at 12:33.
Old 2008-08-25, 13:08   Link #618
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
well to me this is really a good anime predictable yet good but if this haapens to randomly again many complaint ............complaint ................complaint ..................complaint

nothing but............complaint

why can t poepl just enjoy a really good art worked anime but hey who am i to judge im just stating my opinion os there heheh peace man peace

any way i jsut hope that he is very very very determined for haruka`s sake if else man i will march at the front door of the production studio and beat tthe producer to a pulp
and they are going to continue watching the series anyway
Old 2008-08-25, 15:58   Link #619
Elvanvitar

i liked ep 7. even yuto got in his own urusai urusai urusai line.
Old 2008-08-25, 18:43   Link #620
UPR

I would like to add the point of Haruka being to good to be true. I don't know if this applies to everybody ,but one reason I watch anime is to see something that can't happen in real life. With no offence but there is no perfect girl in this world. Why does everybody say "well she is not real" well no duh. A reason to watch is to see something unreal witch in this case is Haruka.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen