Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-12, 03:13   Link #5501
Koshimizu
おやすみ、ルルーシュ。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
How does it rank up against say Haruhi, Lucky Star, Gundam, Naruto or Dragon Ball in terms of popularity? Do you think it will leave a mark like Dragon Ball and Gundam that works it's way into the popular culture? Are we talking like the anime event of the decade level of popularity or what?
Dragon Ball and Gundam are epic long series that's been running for decades. They have their historical background and can't be matched easily. Haruhi and Lucky Star cooled down pretty quick I think. I don't see people making a fuss over it. But merchandise for moe characters = quick cash. XD

Code Geass is an amazingly big hit for original anime in recent years. That part will surely go down in history. We hardly get anything original anymore. Most anime are adaptations of manga/novel/game, or sequels under the aura of past glory *coughGSDcough*, or remakes w/ past glory *coughSla-* *is shot*. Those few original anime series usually don't get enough exposure at all.

As for long term goal like decades among casual fans, I can't tell the future so I don't know. XD
The good old days when there are few to choose from so everyone share the memory of the same show is no more. Seeing the amount of anime made each season, I think it's hard for people to stick to one series for years if there's no sequel to it, even if the anime is really good. That goes for every anime. :/

How Code Geass mind****ed the fans every week may also become a milestone. XD
Old 2008-09-12, 03:13   Link #5502
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So super low quality is still good for manga eh?
For a few dollars, you can get a large sample of manga. It is so cheap you can buy it just for one or two serials within. And it gives exposure to new manga series when people flick though the rest of the book.

You aren't suppose to keep them; they are the size of phonebooks, and even 6 months worth of these books will bury the average Japanese room. You buy them to keep up to date, and later purchase the Tankoubans of the manga you would like to keep.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:14   Link #5503
Charred Knight

Quote:
So super low quality is still good for manga eh?
As mentioned your not supposed to keep the anthology, your supposed to read the whole thing, than buy the tankoubans of the one you want.

Its basically the equivalent of a newspaper made of nothing more than comics.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:19   Link #5504
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshimizu View Post
I was in Japan last month and I hear people talking about Code Geass everywhere. In McDonalds, in subway station, on the street. I hear it so much that I thought I'm imagining things.
I`m surprised that Code Geass is more popular among younger adults than among students... when talking to class of senior high school students (everybody was around 17 years of age), only two people were interested in Code Geass. In the group of students from Tokyo University which I met, no one had interests in Geass (But Toudai students are not representative, I think ). But then yesterday at a pub in Shibuya, I had a nice chat with a Japanese girl (23 years), which more or less told me the same as you wrote.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:20   Link #5505
Charred Knight

Quote:
Haruhi and Lucky Star cooled down pretty quick I think. I don't see people making a fuss over it. But merchandise for moe characters are still hot. XD Dragon Ball and Gundam are epic long series that's been running for decades. They have their historical background and can't be matched easily.

Code Geass is an amazingly big hit for original anime in recent years. That part will surely go down in history. We hardly get anything original anymore. Most anime are adaptations of manga/novel/game, or sequels under the aura of past glory *coughGSDcough*, or remakes w/ past glory *coughSla-* *is shot*. Those few original anime series usually don't get enough exposure at all.

As for long term goal like decades among casual fans, I can't tell the future so I don't know. XD
The good old days when there are few to choose from so everyone share the memory of the same show is no more. Seeing the amount of anime made each season, I think it's hard for people to stick to one series for years if there's no sequel to it, even if the anime is really good. That goes for every anime. :/
Something people have to remember is that Gundam, and Evangelion are really the only two mecha series that have kept in the minds of people.

Though I think Code Geass will have a better fate than Haruhi since Haruhi while having a good plot was still a stereotypical looking moe show, you can easily find something that looks like Haruhi. Code Geass has a unique look to it, that while some may find silly (like me), does make it instantly reconizable. You can tell Lelouch by his Captain Dick hat, you can't do the same for say Kira from Gundam Seed.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:23   Link #5506
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
I`m surprised that Code Geass is more popular among younger adults than among students... when talking to class of senior high school students (everybody was around 17 years of age), only two people were interested in Code Geass. In the group of students from Tokyo University which I met, no one had interests in Geass (But Toudai students are not representative, I think ). But then yesterday at a pub in Shibuya, I had a nice chat with a Japanese girl (23 years), which more or less told me the same as you wrote.
Its because the young still have dreams, those who are older are cynical and have had those dreams dashed and can relate to Code Geass.

I am joking, I have no idea why that is.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:36   Link #5507
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Dragon Ball and Gundam are epic long series that's been running for decades. They have their historical background and can't be matched easily. Haruhi and Lucky Star cooled down pretty quick I think. I don't see people making a fuss over it. But merchandise for moe characters = quick cash. XD

You see it's details like that are what makes me hope the series wont screw the fans over with a certain rushed pairing.
Kallen is may favorite character in this series. Her entire journey this season has been about learning more of Lelouch. That's two to three years of her character's development. I will just be so disappointed if they try and rush a pairing with Gino in three episodes.
Even more so now that we know that Kallen only learned she loves Lelouch right after they kiss. It would make her seem like some kind of bimbo. She just realizes she's in love then suddenly she pairs up with a guy she hardly knows?
Old 2008-09-12, 03:57   Link #5508
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
You see it's details like that are what makes me hope the series wont screw the fans over with a certain rushed pairing.
Kallen is may favorite character in this series. Her entire journey this season has been about learning more of Lelouch. That's two to three years of her character's development. I will just be so disappointed if they try and rush a pairing with Gino in three episodes.
Even more so now that we know that Kallen only learned she loves Lelouch right after they kiss. It would make her seem like some kind of bimbo. She just realizes she's in love then suddenly she pairs up with a guy she hardly knows?
yep basically....according to Gino X Kallen fans. Which makes NO sense.
Old 2008-09-12, 04:19   Link #5509
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
I say give Gino to Milly. They are both light hearted and seem to enjoy having fun.

Kallen is no bimbo.
Old 2008-09-12, 04:29   Link #5510
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
I say give Gino to Milly. They are both light hearted and seem to enjoy having fun.

Kallen is no bimbo.
Arthur might have a say on that
Old 2008-09-12, 04:36   Link #5511
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Yeah, there really aren't a lot of "original" anime being made anymore, which is one of the reasons I sort of appreciate Code Geass and the company that makes it. Though apparently that makes me a fanboy to some. When it comes down to it though there are really only a few anime companies that do in-house created shows anymore and even fewer that can frequently make their's successful. I can count them on one hand actually.

In my case I'd frequently rather watch the most mediocore of in-house produced series versus the strongest of adaptations. Creativity in a production is as important as any other element to me, perhaps even the most important element.
Old 2008-09-12, 05:22   Link #5512
Kuroko
Chainsaw Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kuroko
Quote:
Now this is what i call "fight fire with fire".
Old 2008-09-12, 05:31   Link #5513
honeypie_0106

The essence of being creative does not only lie in "original" animes, I think its unfair to compare the two, as they both have their pros and cons.

As a manga fan myself, I enjoy those adaptations immensely, seeing my favorite characters move in lively color is a pleasant experience.

Besides, if it weren't for an ero-game, won't we miss out on having the Mitsuki - Takayuki - Haruka affair of KGN (Rumbling Hearts). Shows such as KGN are a rarity, compared to trashy entertaining mecha animes. ****Code Geass****

Without these "adaptations", the anime landscape would be extremely different, a wide variety of genre, is better than a few original ones.

Seriously, if being mind****ed is what your looking for, then why not watch some of these ero-game adaptations, School Days, would probably beat out CG anytime.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:14   Link #5514
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
I hope people in Japan also talk well of Kallen and hope she gets a good ending as I do.
I'd also hope that if she didn't there would be an uproar of the fans.

I remember that Euphy's death didn't surprise me much. After taking all those lives. Even if they had saved her she never could of lived with what she had done. It was also too well known for anyone to forget.
Since there are still more fans of c.c. than kallen in japan, I hope they cheer up c.c. a lot for her to get a good ending.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:15   Link #5515
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie_0106 View Post
As a manga fan myself, I enjoy those adaptations immensely, seeing my favorite characters move in lively color is a pleasant experience.
Although in some cases artwork really suffers.

Quote:

Kallen is no bimbo.
I so hate you right now
Old 2008-09-12, 06:19   Link #5516
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Since there are still more fans of c.c. than kallen in japan, I hope they cheer up c.c. a lot for her to get a good ending.
I see both c.c. and Kallen getting a good ending. Maybe not in the romantic sense, but a good and satisfying end nonetheless.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:30   Link #5517
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Well, let's be serious about this.
Are there REALLY GinoxKallen fans? I have a strong sense that most of those people are C.C.xLelouch fans who want Kallen out of the way.
The same goes for the the people who say C.C. is going to die. The majority of those are really KallenxLelouch fans who just wants C.C. out of the way.

I just don't see how a person could honestly want to see Gino and Kallen together when they two have hardly even been in the same room together.
Even in this clip in the preview that's shown. She's not even standing in arms reach of him.
I'm a strong supporter of Kallen, but even I don't want to see C.C. die.
I just don't see how you could put Kallen on this huge journey to become closer to Lelouch. Spend the entire season learning about him. Even from his sister about the kind of brother he is. She finally kisses him four episodes from the finale and that is when she realized her feelings are more then loyalty.
How could you take all of that and then suddenly send her to another guy? I'd rather her remain single.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I so hate you right now
What, you got to admit they would be kind of cute together. Both enjoy parties and having fun. Just like with Kallen it's not been developed. Milly is older then him. On that hand thought Kallen is also older then him. I was surprised how young he is. I thought he was Suzaku's age or older.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:31   Link #5518
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Well, let's be serious about this.
Are there REALLY GinoxKallen fans? I have a strong sense that most of those people are C.C.xLelouch fans who want Kallen out of the way.
The same goes for the the people who say C.C. is going to die. The majority of those are really KallenxLelouch fans who just wants C.C. out of the way.
A Kallen fan who admits it, finally. Thank you Foxx.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:34   Link #5519
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
A Kallen fan who admits it, finally. Thank you Foxx.
It's pretty obvious that's the truth on both hands. both sides are guilty, but I don't want C.C. to die.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:39   Link #5520
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that's the truth on both hands. both sides are guilty, but I don't want C.C. to die.
What I mean is that some (not all) people just want her to die because she has to atone for her sins and mistakes. But in fact they just want her to die because they don't like her.

But those same people don't realise that even kallen did many sins in only 18 years and would have to die by this logic.

And when you look at C.C.'s sins compared to her suffering. She suffered a lot more than the sins she did.

So sometimes it's hilarious to read, or really annoying.

Anyway thanks to have been honest about that.
Closed Thread

Tags
spoilers