Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-01, 03:57   Link #901
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Repeating it won't make it true.
My argument: there is no interaction with the game with Rika, except one or two mentions that Rika knows someone is observing. The line you cite means the reader "needs to believe" Rika will succeed - but it doesn't affect the outcome, does it ? A machine could be clicking the mouse for all the game knows.
Your argument: I think.
Old 2008-10-01, 04:09   Link #902
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
@Ace: so, what is your theory ? That there are 3 entities (Rika, Frederika Bernkastel, and Dark Rika? And Bernkastel from Umineko?). That's a bit inelegant.
Well, yeah
And
Frederika Bernkastel=Bernkastel from Umineko.

I'll make clear what I think by the end of the post.

Quote:
I don't believe Frederika can *enter* the pieces, but I believe she can observe what's going on, and that the deaths of Rika add to her, like drops of rain that make a barrel.
I agree
She can't enter and can observe things. Like a movie or a soccer game
And Rika is her favorite team (obviously )

Quote:
But, Rika has access to her memories from past worlds. How? Is it from Frederika Bernkastel directly, or does she remember by sheer repetition? And wouldn't that mean that her friends and everyone else would remember the do-overs as well?
Because she herself jumps from piece to piece after her death (let's say her soul/mind) with Hanyuu. And her friends don't do that.

Quote:
I think the Dark Rika aspect of Rika is Frederika Bernkastel. But try forcing a human into an ant; it won't work. So I think Dark Rika is a "watered-down" form of Frederika Bernkastel, who has just the basics (anything further like the pieces and the memories from ALL the worlds would drive her crazy, and it's said that even this digest form is making her lose touch with reality).
That's where we disagree.
I think Dark Rika =/= Frederika Bernkastel. While Rika is inside a kakera, Frederika is there observing her in a higher dimension.

However, what I really mean with all this is:
'My' Bernkastel is completely useless to Higurashi world.
Things could work perfectly with just Rika and Hanyuu jumping from world to world without all that stuff of putting the pieces together, kakeras and kakera world.
To me, the only use for Bernkastel was to make some interaction with the readers and explain some things, like rules XYZ and Hanyuu/Rika's 'power' and such, as it'd be too weird for a real character to explain these.

Well, but this seems to not be the same for Umineko, as her role seems to be getting more active with her interaction with Ange (well, until all the witch/magic bullshit is exposed).

By the way;
Did you read minagoroshi-hen manga?
Well, that's my image of things.
Old 2008-10-01, 04:17   Link #903
tobiast88
No patience for fools

So we basically agree up until the nature of Dark Rika. Where do you think she comes from ?

(No, haven't read the Minagoroshi manga, waiting for the tankobon)
Old 2008-10-01, 04:21   Link #904
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
So we basically agree up until the nature of Dark Rika. Where do you think she comes from ?

(No, haven't read the Minagoroshi manga, waiting for the tankobon)
Dark Rika comes from the successive failures that killed her enthusiasm

As for Frederika I think she came from Rika. She's like Rika's 'beehive mind', that came to be in that useless world.
Old 2008-10-01, 04:35   Link #905
tobiast88
No patience for fools

Yeah, I agree with you on the nature of Frederika. その話をおいといて。。。^^;

But where does Dark Rika get her memories then ? I understand she's jaded and cynical from her failures, but why does Rika remember them ? Is it just by repetition, or is it the hand of Bern ?
Old 2008-10-01, 05:12   Link #906
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you on the nature of Frederika. その話をおいといて。。。^^;

But where does Dark Rika get her memories then ? I understand she's jaded and cynical from her failures, but why does Rika remember them ? Is it just by repetition, or is it the hand of Bern ?
Of course I can't say anything for sure
But I think it's from Hanyuu's powers. Hanyuu transports her mind/memories to the next world after each failure. Hanyuu is a God after all...
Old 2008-10-01, 05:16   Link #907
tobiast88
No patience for fools

But don't her memories go to the space between worlds and to Bern ?
Old 2008-10-01, 05:37   Link #908
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
But don't her memories go to the space between worlds and to Bern ?
Maybe they do, since they have some kind of 'link', like an automatic update ;

Or maybe Frederika knows everything (that is, has the memories) because she's watching everything closely (to Rika, not freely).
Old 2008-10-01, 06:17   Link #909
Eryops

Based on the scene at the start of Minagoroshi-hen, it seemed to me that Rika's memories got to the world with the fragments first and are relayed from there to the next world.
Old 2008-10-01, 07:47   Link #910
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Okay, lets take it that i was not in the right mind when i was saying that. The readers plays a minor role in the game, but u cannot deny that without the player, the miracle would not have happened. Afterall, to create a miracle, Fredrika states that everyone's strength is needed.
Old 2008-10-01, 08:55   Link #911
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That is completely unrelated. They say "everyone" as in "Keiichi" and co, the readers and such are completely unrelated to the struggle.
The only missing piece was Hanyuu, that's all.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:02   Link #912
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

There's this line which says "by everyone,that includes you too". It is addressed to the reader, so i am going to assume the reader is necessary for rika to break fate.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:15   Link #913
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
...It was long. ...It really was a long journey, wasn't it?

Are you okay...? Is your conscious still alive...?

I hope we've collected everything we can to our advantage on this game board. This is everything that we have in our hands to go up against Takano on the outcome of June 1983.

...I think...yes, we do have everything we need.

And last but not least...it's you, Hanyu.

Your powers have weakened so much that the time alotted for you to be a pivotal piece is very limited...

But that doesn't mean you yourself cannot physically show up in the game.

....So, ready to begin?

I lived a hundred years for this moment...
This is the Matsuribayashi-hen piece. Self explanatory.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:19   Link #914
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

i see. Well, i admit i made a mistake. Thanks for correcting me then.

Last edited by SealedTime; 2008-10-02 at 00:48. Reason: wrong word
Old 2008-10-01, 21:17   Link #915
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for the player...there is one thing that they must do in order to free Rika and the others...They must play. If the player does not play, nothing happens. If the player does not believe, then the story is meaningless. Sort of like "The Neverending Story". If the reader doesn't read/imagine the story...does the story exist? The text is there, but it is fairly meaningless without the reader. If no one cares...the story is rather pointless.
Old 2008-10-02, 01:34   Link #916
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Good point
Old 2008-10-06, 09:37   Link #917
anonymousnanodesuu

just finished the series not too long ago and read through most of this thread, but theres very little about the origin of takano. What i want to know is how did she get involved with the army and when koizumi promised his group or faction to produce a bioweapon from this research in order to support takano and establish the irie institution, then why would takano need to meet with those other tokyo guys to get their approval? which instead made them want to cure it instead which is opposite of takano's intentions?

I thought with koizumi promising the bioweapon warfare and funded takano and established the irie clinic to research in secret, why would she still need more approval?

Isn't it enough that she got koizumi most influential supporter of tokyo?
Old 2008-10-06, 11:14   Link #918
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousnanodesuu View Post
just finished the series not too long ago and read through most of this thread, but theres very little about the origin of takano. What i want to know is how did she get involved with the army and when koizumi promised his group or faction to produce a bioweapon from this research in order to support takano and establish the irie institution, then why would takano need to meet with those other tokyo guys to get their approval? which instead made them want to cure it instead which is opposite of takano's intentions?

I thought with koizumi promising the bioweapon warfare and funded takano and established the irie clinic to research in secret, why would she still need more approval?

Isn't it enough that she got koizumi most influential supporter of tokyo?

Yes, but that was until Koizumi died and Takano lost her main supporter.
Old 2008-10-06, 21:14   Link #919
anonymousnanodesuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Yes, but that was until Koizumi died and Takano lost her main supporter.
No i mean before koizumi died. Koizumi created the irie institution for takano to do research in secret for bioweapon uses, and in ep 14 of the 2nd season, takano met with some guys to submit her research.

My point is why would she need to meet with them? She already had koizumi give her funds and established the clinic for her research, she had done her thing until koizumi died. So why go to the pointless trouble of meeting with those guys to find a cure and get more people involved which eventually made her suspect and had to kill them off?
Old 2008-10-06, 21:27   Link #920
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Status report perhaps? To keep funds coming one needs to show results.

Also the original plan wasn't to kill everyone. That comes out of desperation after Koizumi's death and the cutting of the project. Miyo wants to prove her "grandfather's" work. She doesn't want them laughing and stepping on his or her work. Though the question comes how does one prove her work if you kill all the subjects and erase the evidence? Or was that not her plan exactly? Did someone alter her plan (as in kill her once the village was gassed) and then created a coverup?