AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 12:29   Link #181
AMDX1325
AdvancedMicroDevices1325

man, just hush, wait for the so called movie.. and we'll see...

@ abynormal and forgottendiary,

That being said about declining merchandise sales, it may apply to everyday items of the series, however, product of great series will still sell. Look at Neon Genesis Evangelion for example. Macross F on other hand isn't so great, not even an instant classic. But Major product of Macross F still hasn't release yet, namely the collectible transformable fighter figures and pvc figures. So we can pause generalizing for a moment and see how it goes further down the road.
AMDX1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 12:35   Link #182
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What's great for you doesn't have to be great for everyone else, so I'd keep my generalizations to myself, mate.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 12:37   Link #183
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And who gave you the right to speak for me?

I know itīs not "official", because we will probably get more OVAs made of the series. So of course the triangle will be revived, because getting an "official" resolution will be a big part of what sells those OVAs. D'oh.

But in case that this would be all, I am 100% certain that Alto would stay with Sheryl.

What fills me with sadness is the fact that the fans probably would have been totally satisfied with a "no second guessing" ending, giving Kawamori the chance to let the Sheryl X Alto relationship happen in the background and having Ranka develop a bit more.
The fact is that she may have gained some backbone to protect people with her singing but she still is as naive and immature as she was earlier. She's exactly at the same stage Minmay was after Zentradi battle in ep 27. Furthermore, the director certainly managed to shallow out her character in the last episodes that escalating further in the last. No remorse, no inner feelings, no selfbashing?

She certainly needs, no, she screams for development, because right at the end she's still this annoying save-me-god-alto kid she was at the beginning. And that kid states she's going to fight on equal footing with Sheryl. Please, director, at least say why...

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 14:31   Link #184
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
She certainly needs, no, she screams for development, because right at the end she's still this annoying save-me-god-alto kid she was at the beginning. And that kid states she's going to fight on equal footing with Sheryl. Please, director, at least say why...
I find that annoying as well. It almost seems like, Kawamori is afraid of scratching Ranka's character for fear of being accused of child abuse. But he had no qualms in torturing Sheryl's character. Then he had the nerve to end the series with them both on equal footing. From what he says, the movie doesn't seem like it would rectify this neither. Where is justice?
MaiHikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:14   Link #185
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Considering how much you were pushing for Sheryl to win the Triangle and all the arguments, debates and discussions you had on the subject of the LT, I find it funny that you post now that emphasis on space battles and epic dog fights should be the focus. Just funny is all.
Yeah, and I totally admit to how much I focused on the triangle, while almost forgetting the primary purpose to Macross is... well, big epic space battles! *Sigh* ~bows head down in shame~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari
I find that annoying as well. It almost seems like, Kawamori is afraid of scratching Ranka's character for fear of being accused of child abuse. But he had no qualms in torturing Sheryl's character. Then he had the nerve to end the series with them both on equal footing.
Aside from the unjustified ending, that entire session Sheryl had to go through simply goes to show that Sheryl is a wonderful individual, while indirectly reinforcing Ranka's immaturity. Episode 22 was its climax, and it was wonderful to behold. I won't dismiss my awe simply because 25 failed to create a closure. Despite this though, the result is obvious. When Ranka issued a challenge, we knew who won.

I don't know if the movie will not cement the relationship, but I cannot say for sure, let us all cross our fingers and wait.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:29   Link #186
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
I find that annoying as well. It almost seems like, Kawamori is afraid of scratching Ranka's character for fear of being accused of child abuse. But he had no qualms in torturing Sheryl's character. Then he had the nerve to end the series with them both on equal footing. From what he says, the movie doesn't seem like it would rectify this neither. Where is justice?
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that not resolving anything was Kawamoris original goal. In SDF we had two girls with different approaches for life and different set of morals. In Frontier we have one glorious singer and one other who gains a 'similar' set of morals in the last episode. If Kawamori wanted to incorporate Hikaru's reasoning into Frontier's end choice then the only outcome is not to chose any of then, instead make Alto say - both of you are my wings.

Thats because choosing one when the other has the same 'worth' is not an option. It was justified in SDF but not in Frontier. It's purely and completely a choice of reason, not feelings, that what we were presented with in Frontier.

And this is what the end lacked for many people. A choice made with feelings, not with some greedy reasoning. If this is Kawamoris homage then he certainly did screw up. He created an unbelievable development only to let it go away with semi-bearable directing.

Old 2008-10-02, 17:35   Link #187
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I want to see an "OFFICIAL" resolution to the love triangle. I want to see what reaction the losing faction gets when they see the official resolution. I think the most fun to watch will be the Sheryl faction if Ranka were to win. The ranka faction will not be very fun to watch if sheryl were to officialy win, it is the expected thing.
You kind of have a point here. That's half the fun in a love triangle. I haven't seen too many Sheryl fans happy with this ending, but tons of Ranka fans like it. It's like it gave them a time out and stopped the inevitable Sheryl end.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 18:20   Link #188
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

It took me a while to grasp the ending, but I think I'm upgrading my opinion of 25 from "WTF?!?!?!" to "absolutely f'ing brilliant" aside from the obviously rushed plot. Well, assuming the movie holds up, anyway...

Anyway, think about it a sec. What would the next scene immediately after the ending have been, and why?
Old 2008-10-02, 18:38   Link #189
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Anyway, think about it a sec. What would the next scene immediately after the ending have been, and why?
Well, since Alto didnīt seem to be actually slowing in his approach towards Sheryl and Ranka, Iīd say he grabbed Sheryl and flew off. Leaving a fuming Ranka behind, so a massive Vajra invasion happens, as tons of Vajra sense her sexual frustration and go on a bloody rampage. After that getting sorted out, Ranka flees with her onii-chan, before the surviving citizens of Frontier can lynch her.
Old 2008-10-02, 19:17   Link #190
golthin

Quote:
Well, since Alto didnīt seem to be actually slowing in his approach towards Sheryl and Ranka, Iīd say he grabbed Sheryl and flew off. Leaving a fuming Ranka behind, so a massive Vajra invasion happens, as tons of Vajra sense her sexual frustration and go on a bloody rampage. After that getting sorted out, Ranka flees with her onii-chan, before the surviving citizens of Frontier can lynch her.
Fanfiction like that is what make you one of the tops Sheryl shippers around here. You still can't hold a candle to crusader. He is still Sheryl #1 shipper and not just because he has blog.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 19:24   Link #191
magnuskn

Quote:
Fanfiction like that is what make you one of the tops Sheryl shippers around here. You still can't hold a candle to crusader. He is still Sheryl #1 shipper and not just because he has blog.
If Iīd actually have the time and inclination to write a fanfic, it would look a lot better than this off-the-cuff sillyness which I belted out to maybe elicit one or two wry grins around here. It wasnīt to be taken seriously.

And Iīd happily cede the top Sheryl shipper spot to Crusader, he at least has the time, energy and coherence to write long blog posts about her and Hime-samas relationship. Or Tak, who wins the "most fanatical Sheryl worshipper" hands down, with his excellent pictures for her highness.

I just try to do my part for our queen.
Old 2008-10-02, 19:24   Link #192
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothlin
Fanfiction like that is what make you one of the tops Sheryl shippers around here.
This reminds me of the story of the kettle and the pot. I hope you're not making it seem as if Ranka shippers are any better...

You claim to be a non-shipper, but you sure do sound like one. I wonder what would the right term be?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 20:55   Link #193
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
This reminds me of the story of the kettle and the pot. I hope you're not making it seem as if Ranka shippers are any better...

You claim to be a non-shipper, but you sure do sound like one. I wonder what would the right term be?
I give it to both sides, it is just that recently Ranka shippers don't have any good points to argue with. they have been too quiet recently and Westley is not even worthwhile to respond to. Besides, i was sort of praising him about it. I don't think he was offended by being called one of the top sheryl shippers.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:02   Link #194
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Troll?

*runs*

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:58   Link #195
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Hmm... Ok, that's kind of the direction I was heading, but probably a little bit farther than I was thinking to take it.
Old 2008-10-02, 23:21   Link #196
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Troll?
Pretty much describes him as he is now.

Went on a spree of accusing Sheryl shippers of this, Ranka shippers of that... jumping the bandwagon, calling himself neutral while contradicting himself.

Then suddenly he gets rained on by all of us, forms a grudge, and magically turns into a troll. Oh so loyally following Seifall's example.

--- Back on topic ---

My thoughts on the movie.

Whether its a DYRL style retelling or just a retelling from a different point of view... Alto's character can be tweaked and Ranka's character could use a buff... but any change to Sheryl's character would ruin it for me.

She is the best female lead to come along in a LONG time and lessening her character in any sort of way is unnecessary. Even if it is a ploy to try to even out her and Ranka.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-10-02 at 23:32.
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 01:17   Link #197
magnuskn

Quote:
I give it to both sides, it is just that recently Ranka shippers don't have any good points to argue with. they have been too quiet recently and Westley is not even worthwhile to respond to. Besides, i was sort of praising him about it. I don't think he was offended by being called one of the top sheryl shippers.
Of course not. ^^ Just wanted to point out that an actual fanfic by me would look less pithy and have a more sensible storyline. OTOH, could as well be one that is completely loony tunes.

Ah, wonīt have the time to write one, anyway.
Old 2008-10-03, 02:07   Link #198
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Supposedly this article from the upcoming December 08 issue of Animage talks about the Macross Frontier movie.

If anyone confirm or deny with a translation...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 02:16   Link #199
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

It's real and has already been posted somewhere on this forum.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 02:20   Link #200
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post

My thoughts on the movie.

Whether its a DYRL style retelling or just a retelling from a different point of view... Alto's character can be tweaked and Ranka's character could use a buff... but any change to Sheryl's character would ruin it for me.

She is the best female lead to come along in a LONG time and lessening her character in any sort of way is unnecessary. Even if it is a ploy to try to even out her and Ranka.
Has anyone considered that Kawamori may actually make a remake movie with a concrete resolution, even though the series provided no such thing? This has never happened in any previous Macross, but thinking about Frontiers popularity it may actually happen. Although, I'm not a fan of a remake because the probability of having the exact same semi-rushed, underdeveloped ending is way higher then anything else.

Also, one more thing. A remake like DYRL requires alot of planning. Far more then a continuation movie as it's basically creating something completely new using existing world frames of Frontier. Taking that into account, isn't the date of release a bit, too optimistic? It would be possible if they started long time ago. If they had a prepared script for the next part of Frontier, for a continuation, then creating a non-remake would have been a lot faster.