AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-29, 02:27   Link #3281
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Man, I wonder how Megumi Nakajima would feel now after she clearly stated Ranka needs to let Alto go in order to grow up as a person.
And she did, but then they needed to curbstomp Grace for the grand finale, along with some kind of victim and deus ex machina to make it all work properly...

You know, rather than have Alto seriously follow through with his "kill Ranka" resolve, and make him and Sheryl into badguys, they had to dress Ranka down completely.

Ranka and Sheryl were never rivals, never friends, what the hell was that in the last episode?
Old 2008-09-29, 03:42   Link #3282
Joachim
et tu, brute?

yuri's love blossom without you ever knowing it mate..
Old 2008-09-29, 07:52   Link #3283
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

My hope for the movie is not only to wrap up the LT which is very much needed but to also move along in the grand story to a new adventure.

I'm hoping it's this which is my post in the Macross Frontier Movie thread.
Old 2008-09-29, 17:00   Link #3284
Joachim
et tu, brute?

damn yea, hopefully kawamori has the same idea as you killroy, if that really happen i will be moaning like a crazed bastard "THIS IS WHAT WE WANT!"

i think there will be an explanation in the future of what actually happened to megaroad 1 (stumble upon another dimension which is where protoculture reside in, etc2) man yes!
Old 2008-10-01, 23:47   Link #3285
Wesley84

They should have killed Mikhail off early just so we could have watched Klan get over it.
Old 2008-10-02, 00:02   Link #3286
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
And she did, but then they needed to curbstomp Grace for the grand finale, along with some kind of victim and deus ex machina to make it all work properly...

You know, rather than have Alto seriously follow through with his "kill Ranka" resolve, and make him and Sheryl into badguys, they had to dress Ranka down completely.

Ranka and Sheryl were never rivals, never friends, what the hell was that in the last episode?
I'm looking forward to your post in the eventual Overall Series Impression thread just because I also agree with you that the series has been pretty inconsistent through out its storytelling in regards to some of the driving factors for those plot points.
Old 2008-10-02, 12:30   Link #3287
AMDX1325
AdvancedMicroDevices1325

So in the end, the LT is pointless, the entire series is pointless.
Old 2008-10-02, 12:34   Link #3288
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDX1325 View Post
So in the end, the LT is pointless, the entire series is pointless.
And? So are you.
Old 2008-10-02, 12:36   Link #3289
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

@AMDX1325: Hmmm... most people here tend to disagree with you (myself included), so... let's wait for the Overall Series Impression thread, shall we?

Old 2008-10-02, 12:42   Link #3290
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
@AMDX1325: Hmmm... most people here tend to disagree with you (myself included), so... let's wait for the Overall Series Impression thread, shall we?
At least 5 months of waiting for that

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-02, 12:43   Link #3291
AMDX1325
AdvancedMicroDevices1325

y taking that comment of mine so seriously???

Im being sarcastic, Bill Bailey style...... you know how things starts and ends, anime does, human does...just the greater way of the world...

I, of course enjoyed the Macross F series alot. Can't wait for the movie.

Last edited by AMDX1325; 2008-10-02 at 12:54.
Old 2008-10-02, 12:57   Link #3292
magnuskn

Quote:

Im being sarcastic, Bill Bailey style...... you know how things starts and ends, anime does, human does...just the greater way of the world...

Sometimes, sarcasm translates rather poor in writing. That´s what smileys are for.
Old 2008-10-02, 12:58   Link #3293
AMDX1325
AdvancedMicroDevices1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sometimes, sarcasm translates rather poor in writing. That´s what smileys are for.
yea facial expression and tone helps....
Old 2008-10-02, 13:13   Link #3294
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:

Don't worry, some people are as dense to sarcasm as trolls are to reason. It's quite interesting really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
*takes off spineless executive hat*

After thinking about it, I smell executive meddling in this whole mess. I don't think Kawamori was afraid to end the LT, but some producer over him was afraid of how Ranka's fanbase would react, leading to decreased DVD and merchandise sales.
The more I think about it, I also smell executive meddling. I don't know, but it just doesn't add up for SK to mess up his entire series by an ending that doesn't fit.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-10-02, 13:21   Link #3295
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Don't worry, some people are as dense to sarcasm as trolls are to reason. It's quite interesting really.
What was missing was context. If he was responding sarcastically to someone, quoting that person would have helped.

Quote:
The more I think about it, I also smell executive meddling. I don't know, but it just doesn't add up for SK to mess up his entire series by an ending that doesn't fit.
I think I was the first who talked of a last-minute editorial rewrite. ^^ The rather poor artwork in the last three minutes for the main three seems like another sign of that to me.
Old 2008-10-02, 13:29   Link #3296
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
What was missing was context. If he was responding sarcastically to someone, quoting that person would have helped.
EXACTLY my thoughts on the matter.
I don't picture myself as dense to sarcasm, but over written words out of context, and without any smileys, anyone can be prey to some confusion.

As for the last minute rewrite's possibility: it's entirely possible. BUT we have to see how Kawamori's recent interview ultimately fits into the overall outcome of the series. I'm still not convinced about the "cultural" comments, there.

Old 2008-10-02, 13:34   Link #3297
glyph

Quote:

I also smell executive meddling. I don't know, but it just doesn't add up for SK to mess up his entire series by an ending that doesn't fit.
What ending that doesn't fit? That was the point of Sheryl insisting Alto rescuing Ranka before she'd listen to his words, and Ranka insisting Sheryl not give up even after her part was done and curing her. They want Alto to make a clear decision from his true feelings, not a victory based (possibly) on pity, or the convenient demise of the other point of the triangle. Now, with all the stuff that goes on in 25, there's absolutely no way they can convincingly resolve the romance in the last 30 seconds of the show to the satisfaction of the girls.

Even in the finale of SDFM (which IMO was botched and arguably just as open as Frontier's ending), Hikaru had already made a choice in the early part of the episode, giving Minmay time to come to accept it by the end. Remember, Ranka didn't give up Alto because she fell out of love with him, but because she was forced to by her circumstances and conscience. Also, she doesn't know everything that went on between Sheryl and Alto while she was gone. There's no reason why she would say "You love is stronger than mine. I give up." to Sheryl.

As for Alto breaking it to her during the "you are both my wings" segment, it would be anticlimatic in the buildup to the upbeat theme of everyone working together to beat down on Battle Galaxy and Grace. Also, IMO, Ranka as a character isn't quite yet emotionally strong enough to take it and continue singing, unlike Minmay. Similar to why they didn't kill Ozma or Brera off.

Last edited by glyph; 2008-10-02 at 14:01.
Old 2008-10-02, 13:54   Link #3298
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
What ending that doesn't fit? That was the point of Sheryl insisting Alto rescuing Ranka before she'd listen to his words, and Ranka insisting Sheryl not give up even after her part was done and curing her. They want Alto to make a clear decision from his true feelings, not a victory through (possible) pity, or the convenient demise of the other point of the triangle. Now, with all the stuff that goes on in 25, there's absolutely no way they can convincingly resolve the romance in the last 30 seconds of the show to the satisfaction of the girls.
Quite honestly, two minutes would have been enough. A possible scenario ( sorry, if it sounds cliched ):

Alto lands next to Sheryl and Ranka, they both hug him. Sheryl then says that she doesn´t want to get between Ranka and him and prepares to leave. Alto then takes Sheryl into his arms and deeply kisses her, declaring his love for her.

Ranka is shocked at first and Sheryl also glances with worry at her reaction, but then Ranka takes a short moment to go into herself and declares that she is happy for both of them, but that she won´t lose to Sheryl in music. The end.

That would have been enough for me. Wouldn´t have taken more than the two minutes they spent on having him do his fly around and Ranka doing her challenge.
Old 2008-10-02, 14:01   Link #3299
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
It was a general statement not directed at anyone. And its true if you think about it.

As for the other stuff, I'm not even going to bother trying to argue a point. I'm still burnt trying to get over the lame ending. Read the Ep25 thread if you want to know reasonings.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-10-02, 14:05   Link #3300
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What ending that doesn't fit? That was the point of Sheryl insisting Alto rescuing Ranka before she'd listen to his words, and Ranka insisting Sheryl not give up even after her part was done and curing her. They want Alto to make a clear decision from his true feelings, not a victory based (possibly) on pity, or the convenient demise of the other point of the triangle. Now, with all the stuff that goes on in 25, there's absolutely no way they can convincingly resolve the romance in the last 30 seconds of the show to the satisfaction of the girls.
Well, I posted a similar thought in this thread when episode 25 aired. A conclusion with all of this build up, fighting ect. would have been very rushed.

Quote:
Even in the finale of SDFM (which IMO was botched and arguably just as open as Frontier's ending), Hikaru had already made a choice in the early part of the episode, giving Minmay time to come to accept it by the end. Remember, Ranka didn't give up Alto because she fell out of love with him, but because she was forced to by her circumstances and conscience. Also, she doesn't know everything that went on between Sheryl and Alto while she was gone. There's no reason why she would say "You love is stronger than mine. I give up." to Sheryl.
We can argue on that. I think SDF ended in a pretty straight forward way.

Quote:
As for Alto breaking it to her during the "you are both my wings" segment, it would be anticlimatic in the buildup to the upbeat theme of everyone working together to beat down on Battle Galaxy and Grace. Also, IMO, Ranka as a character isn't quite yet emotionally strong enough to take it and continue singing, unlike Minmay. Similar to why they didn't kill Ozma of Brera off.
Yes, well, this is the conclusion of the rushed storytelling theory from the earlier part of the post. Thats the sole reason why I can't accept Ranka as she is at the end. There is no reason why she could fight with Sheryl. I'd expect much more reasoning put behind that statement about not losing. Considering what we were shown those were empty words.

EDIT, Thats' why I'd expect more of her development in something that could resolve the matter once and for all.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Closed Thread

Tags
romance