AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2006-03-04, 20:35   Link #61
Yonji

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Say what? Why would I need to be pockettingin 20$ a week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuixupu
Yeah, what the heck do you mean by that?
Oh, sorry...what I mean is that if it weren't being shown on TV, you'd have to either buy the manga, or buy the episodes, and from what I've seen, they don't come cheap...I bought four episodes of Outlaw Star and paid 10$ total, and this was at a half-price bookstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
The show has been edited to the point where you can't really say at all that you are watching the show that became so popular in Japan.
That's probably true...still, this editted stuff is all I've got for the series(albeit the little excerpt in my traded-for Shonen Jump copy).
As for the movies, I saw a clip elsewhere online, and I'm thinking of saving up to buy one.
Yonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 20:57   Link #62
Bon_Clay

Well first of all, its not Pokemon!

One Piece is a great anime and manga which is very unique, Its fun to watch (if you considered that to be for little kids...) it also has moments of violence and sadness ...
Bon_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 01:59   Link #63
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonji
Oh, sorry...what I mean is that if it weren't being shown on TV, you'd have to either buy the manga, or buy the episodes, and from what I've seen, they don't come cheap...I bought four episodes of Outlaw Star and paid 10$ total, and this was at a half-price bookstore.
You're not understanding something. Nobody is objecting to One Piece being shown on TV. Any TV series also comes out on DVD. I buy DVDs of series that I see on TV if I like them.
The problem with One Piece is that it was butchered into crap. It's not the same show that you see in Japan. It did NOT have to be ruined to be shown on TV. I watch a lot of anime dubs on TV and they're quite good, but not One Piece.

You can't buy any One Piece DVDs in English, or even with English subtitles. Only raw Japanese.
But I would see One Piece anyway, because I download fansubs. :P And they're free. I will continue to do so until we get uncut DVD releases here.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 22:50   Link #64
Yonji

It wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood something.

I see what you mean...so, it wasn't just blood and cussing they cut out then?

Quote:
You can't buy any One Piece DVDs in English, or even with English subtitles. Only raw Japanese.
Huh, that doesn't sound like DVD tech to me...
Also, as I mentioned before, I saw a clip of one of the movies in a music video. Had subtitles...I'm not sure why the series DVDs wouldn't, especially since DVDs usually have various language and subtitle settings.

Are you sure about your statement?
Yonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 16:14   Link #65
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
The series grows alongside its audience.
In the beginning, a lot of the plot and characters were rather simple and straightforward, even big name villains like Kuro and Arlong had some pretty basic plans although taken to rather disturbing extremes in each case. Still, things were relatively easy to follow and themes held more personal than worldly value.

But as the series catches on, things start getting complicated. Here we get story arcs like Alabasta where things like rebellion and subtle espionage are brought to the table. Then we have more current arcs like Enies Lobby where the character of the government itself is brought into question.

Still, through all this, it retains a sense of wild humor.
So yes, One Piece is, first and foremost, a kid's show. But it's one that tries to adapt to it's more faithful viewers, seemingly by "growing-up" alongside them.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 16:15   Link #66
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

if you want to get right down to it...anime in general is regarded as kid stuff, since the older crowd reads the manga instead.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 16:17   Link #67
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
if you want to get right down to it...anime in general is regarded as kid stuff, since the older crowd reads the manga instead.
Point taken.
What kind of kid reads nowadays?
Old 2008-10-06, 04:37   Link #68
Earthling77

OP is for everybody at every age, even adults love OP, but Naruto is for little kids.
Earthling77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 04:46   Link #69
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

OP is one of those shows where kids get one viewpoint out of the show, while adults will get another.

I'm sure kids enjoy the over-the-top action and appreciate some of the bonds of friendship formed. Adults, however, can think about the deeper implication of politics in the OP world. Deal-making, power-sharing, cover-ups and espionage are just some real-world parallels I've observed.
Old 2008-10-06, 09:27   Link #70
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling77 View Post
Naruto is for little kids.
Please, for the love of God, tell me you're only joking.

I know maybe... no, I actually don't know any kids who even acknowledge Naruto's existence. Hell, if I bring it up in front of them they give me the same look as the "darkie" at a Clan rally. Kids don't have the patience for Naruto, that's why they watch wrestling!

The only people I know who like Naruto are all high/middle-schoolers and it's pretty obvious why...
I guess in that respect you're pretty accurate as the majority of today's teens might as well be back in diapers, but their inclusion would give "children" everywhere a bad name...

No "child" has the patience to sit through Naruto for two minutes of them explaining some high-caliber jutsu or chakra control without picking at their toes or wondering what the Boogeyman will stuff into his painted maw next.
If Kishi ever intended this to be pointed towards the younger domograph of "children," them he's failed almost as bad as Tite Kubo.

End of story.
Old 2008-10-06, 09:30   Link #71
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
OP is one of those shows where kids get one viewpoint out of the show, while adults will get another.
Honestly, just about any "kids'" show is like this, though not always intentionally. I mean, look at Spongebob Squarepants, do you think it was the jolly little five-year-old who suddenly launched complaints about the portrayal of a gay coupling between a sponge and a starfish? Sometimes it's all about interpretation.

But again, I have to give One Piece it's credit in, as you say, making more "adult" concerns just as prevelent as it's more childish aspects.
Old 2008-10-06, 09:52   Link #72
Earthling77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
LOL, yeah I'm half joking, I read it somewhere, a guy stated like that and I laugh in myself and thinking if that's quite right since I know several children at the age 7-12 that loves Naruto and I also know several young adults at my age around 30 that loves OP. However I don't really care for the truth how many little kids and adults that love OP or Naruto, I'm just tickled when I saw the subject, and the statement suddenly reappeared out of my thoughts.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:02   Link #73
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
LOL, yeah I'm half joking, I read it somewhere, a guy stated like that and I laugh in myself and thinking if that's quite right since I know several children at the age 7-12 that loves Naruto and I also know several young adults at my age around 30 that loves OP. However I don't really care for the truth how many little kids and adults that love OP or Naruto, I'm just tickled when I saw the subject, and the statement suddenly reappeared out of my thoughts.
Ah, okay, I'm relieved. Sorry if that seemed a little hostile, I tried to be a bit harder on Naruto itself than on you.

Anyway; tell me something, how long have the people you know like One Piece been with the series. Just curious, trying to get some grounds for my earlier statement about the show growing alongside it's viewers.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:05   Link #74
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Honestly, just about any "kids'" show is like this, though not always intentionally. I mean, look at Spongebob Squarepants, do you think it was the jolly little five-year-old who suddenly launched complaints about the portrayal of a gay coupling between a sponge and a starfish? Sometimes it's all about interpretation.

But again, I have to give One Piece it's credit in, as you say, making more "adult" concerns just as prevelent as it's more childish aspects.
Yeah. I can safely say that OP does the "dual role" intentionally. Luffy's dreams are important, along with his crew's. But, the setting of the world itself is VERY interesting to say the least.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:06   Link #75
Earthling77

Don't know since I don't really care, I just take that conclusion from chitchats with friends & relative.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:08   Link #76
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Yeah. I can safely say that OP does the "dual role" intentionally. Luffy's dreams are important, along with his crew's. But, the setting of the world itself is VERY interesting to say the least.
One Piece is rather odd among it's Shounen brothers. There are our "heroes" that are the main focus of the story, but there is also a world set in it's own pace independent and yet influenced by the characters. It's very dynamic, and rather bold I should say, to have a setting not blatantly revolving around the main cast.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:10   Link #77
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Don't know since I don't really care, I just take that conclusion from chitchats with friends & relative.
Eh, to each his own.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:13   Link #78
Earthling77

Quote:
Eh, to each his own.
Beg pardon? I don't really get what you mean.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:15   Link #79
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Beg pardon? I don't really get what you mean.
I mean your lack of caring, to each his own.
Old 2008-10-07, 06:00   Link #80
Kuroko
Chainsaw Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kuroko
Quote:

I know maybe... no, I actually don't know any kids who even acknowledge Naruto's existence. Hell, if I bring it up in front of them they give me the same look as the "darkie" at a Clan rally. Kids don't have the patience for Naruto, that's why they watch wrestling!

The only people I know who like Naruto are all high/middle-schoolers and it's pretty obvious why...
I guess in that respect you're pretty accurate as the majority of today's teens might as well be back in diapers, but their inclusion would give "children" everywhere a bad name...

No "child" has the patience to sit through Naruto for two minutes of them explaining some high-caliber jutsu or chakra control without picking at their toes or wondering what the Boogeyman will stuff into his painted maw next.
If Kishi ever intended this to be pointed towards the younger domograph of "children," them he's failed almost as bad as Tite Kubo.

End of story.
It depends on the location of the statement...
As an example, here in Italy every single 5-11 years old human knows pretty much everything about that annoying blondie.
That and Dragonball...They even have 3hours long debates about who is stronger 'tween goku and naruto, So...yeah.
(OP is less famous, and imo is more for all ages since it's more on the comedy side)
Kuroko is offline   Reply With Quote