AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-10-18, 14:05   Link #121
Amray

The graphics look expectedly amazing. Just what one would expect from an RPG on a third generation console. The character designs look beautiful.

I assume I can trust Motoi Sakuraba with the soundtrack, obviously. He is a great one for orchestrating.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 14:17   Link #122
Lebron
I hear voices

Oh yeah, didn't see this piece of info posted here yet:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170671
Quote:
The fourth Star Ocean is the first one where you actually get to captain your own spaceship, named the Calnus (just like a certain other ship we saw in previous games). Hero Edge Maverick is captain of the Calnus, which is outfitted with everything you need to be a hip outer-space hero: a cockpit, rec room, living quarters, a conference area where you'll be able to create and mix items together (an SO hallmark), and a battle-training chamber. You'll be able to pilot the Calnus to any planet in the galaxy that strikes your fancy, a departure from previous games where you were simply driven wherever the story took you, suggesting that the story template for SO4 may be less linear and JRPG-y and more along the lines of a -- dare we say it? -- Knights of the Old Republic instead.
Freaking finally, it took them long enough to figure it out! Thank you, Mass Effect.

guess this is their version of the galaxy map

Last edited by Lebron; 2008-10-18 at 14:30.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 15:00   Link #123
Chami-sensei
Terminally tired

This game sounds good so far, the only Tri-ace games i've played are SO3 and Valkyrie Profile 2 and I have enjoyed the gameplay in both even if the story was weak (mostly VP2). The travel funtion should make it better however if theres nothing on planets until endgame then I'm worried the travel won't be much different from SO3 where the travel feature was mostly pointless. Although I will like it if there are more planets along with different maps/races/cultures.

I will almost definitly get this game, though I hope I don't have to wait for months longer than America for it.

Last edited by Chami-sensei; 2008-10-18 at 15:29.
Chami-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 18:15   Link #124
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker

I could not get into SO3, VP, or VP2. I liked the games, I just really lost interest when playing them. And my interest is really hard to lose when playing RPG's. =P

I am still looking forward to this though; I hope the game is at least fun to play. Since this is one of Tri-Ace's gems, I doubt that it's going to be bad.
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 20:41   Link #125
Shadow Kira01

So, finally... SO4 will allow the protagonist to pilot his own spaceship and go to any planet he likes. One thing that was missing in SO3 was this option. After reaching Nel's hometown, I actually thought it would be possible to visit Greeton next, but it never occurred. Though Greeton was mentioned throughout the game, it is actually impossible to reach. Aside from that, only planets Vanguard III and Elicoor II were accessible which kinda sucked, considering that there were many more planets in the database. Looking forward to Star Ocean 4! (^.^)

Speaking of which, SO4 needs more characters. As of now, only Edge and Reimi looks good. The cyborg looks awful.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 21:03   Link #126
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Speaking of which, SO4 needs more characters. As of now, only Edge and Reimi looks good. The cyborg looks awful.
From the character slots on the TGS demo, there seem to be 8 characters. So only 3 more.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:36   Link #127
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron
Freaking finally, it took them long enough to figure it out! Thank you, Mass Effect.
Haha, it completely crosses my mind too when SO4 decided to go Star Trek. It has got to be the Mass Effect influence. John Shepard was just simply too manly to be ignored. Somehow I get the feeling that SO4 space travels will be a crossover between Mass Effect and Kingdom Hearts II. Maybe a minigame included?
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 10:39   Link #128
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
From the character slots on the TGS demo, there seem to be 8 characters. So only 3 more.
Not 8. Maybe more...
I'm remembering that on Star Ocean, there's 8 Slots but more playable Character.
(Game let us make our Party of 8 Members and the other character that we don't like for example Souffle/Pepitta and Roger cannot be in the party if we want)
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 13:46   Link #129
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
3 more only?

Let me guess... Welch will be coming back. She was originally a NPC in charge of SO3's inventor workshop, but ended up as a special additional character for both Star Ocean: First Departure and also Star Ocean: Second Evolution.
Old 2008-11-07, 10:13   Link #130
Lebron
I hear voices

Some more pictures have popped up, some of these have already been featured in Famitsu though.
http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen29278_s...reenshots.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
Maybe a minigame included?
God, I hope not, unless they do it right. The whole Gummi Ship idea was just stupid. Who ever came up with that needs to be slapped.

Last edited by Lebron; 2008-11-07 at 10:28.
Old 2008-11-07, 12:34   Link #131
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Nice screenshots, I am feeling Tri-Ace is really going to deliver a well polished JRPG this time. Atleast so far it certainly looks like the best looking JRPG that's coming out in the next months.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 01:47   Link #132
Sciel
Etoilé

The game looks pretty good . Depending or not whether this and Vesperia are still 360 exclusive when this is out , i might just pick up a 360 arcade .
I have some concerns about this game though :

1) I dislike the character model designs . In my eyes , some of the models don't look anime-like at all . It seems the character model designer was caught in two minds of whether to make the characters anime-like or more realistic . The end result is something in between where the characters look "doll" like. There was one close-up picture of Edge's face that was released a while ago that looked sort of creepy to me.

2) The Story . Star Ocean 3 failed so hard in the story department . After they revealed that plot twist , i couldn't be arsed to finish the game anymore.

3) This is quite minor but in one of the battle screenshots , while the character models looked great ,the background textures of the area they were fighting in looked like crap.

As for being able to pilot your spaceship to any planet you wish , i am a bit skeptical about that feature . Mainly because this is a JRPG which usually feature linear story progression . I'm willing to bet that this feature of a Galaxy Map basically does this :

You need to go to planet XYZ to get something
The story doesn't automatically progress to the said planet .
You need to select the planet in the galaxy map and off you go ! .
You'll probably only be able to go to each planet when they become available and not from the start .
As you clear more and more planets , you'll be able to revisit them to do side quests or something later in the game .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 23:27   Link #133
Lebron
I hear voices

English version of the TGS trailer is up
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9...O4_111408.html

VA doesn't sound that bad, at least not Till the End of Time bad. Also, they need to burn Lymle with fire. Burn it now before it learns and adapts.
Old 2008-11-17, 23:53   Link #134
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post

VA doesn't sound that bad, at least not Till the End of Time bad. Also, they need to burn Lymle with fire. Burn it now before it learns and adapts.
Good god, you weren't kidding about Lymle's voice.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 00:01   Link #135
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post

I said the same somewhere else.

Overall the VA seems of very good quality and I like it (of course I'd prefer Japanese audio), but Lymle voice is just so bad, it is so out of character.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 00:11   Link #136
Lebron
I hear voices

Neogaf too, huh?

But yeah, I wouldn't say it sounds out of character per say(her whole existence is out of character). It sounds annoying and messed up, just like her. So in a way I guess it fits her. I mean, she's freaking 15, and yet she looks like she's 7 and talks like she's 5. I read the whole retarded backstory that tries to explain why, which I would rank with some of the Chrono Cross back stories as worst ever, but still doesn't change the fact that it's stupid. I just hope she doesn't have too many lines, or she at least gets her "act" together at some point during the game. /rant
Old 2008-11-18, 00:41   Link #137
Socko

I'm really looking forward to this. I can't believe it's only coming out in 6 months and I still haven't played Tales of Vesperia yet. I hope this isn't as disappointing as Tri-Ace's recent games.
Socko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 01:25   Link #138
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Any news on the VA cast list, either Japanese or English? I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 07:31   Link #139
Lebron
I hear voices

Here's the opening segment for SO4, taken from the special pre-order DVD that came with TLR
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tVLZe_fBOpA

Sakuraba is the man.
Old 2008-11-25, 21:31   Link #140
Shadow Kira01

Not sure if this is the same TGS trailer as IGN, but here is the link:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43158.html