AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-19, 08:00   Link #161
X10A_Freedom

My very first Macross, my only previous experience being the super-hard NES game.

Animation: 8
Animation and art when it came to Cel-style drawings were average, with nothing outstanding. However, it is the CGI which was amazing. The mecha battles are by far the best I've seen from any mecha series. Smooth camerawork, the feeling of weightless combat, all shown very well. Oh, I just wish there was no nudity, especially concerning a "16 year old" who looks more like 14.

Voice Acting: 10
Got to give full marks just for Ranka. A debut role for her VA? With all those songs sang by her as well? Absolutely stunning performance. Sheryl also had a very strong and fitting VA.

Story: 6
I guess this is "editing" and "script" combined. Quite the rollercoaster which kept me glued to the screen but the last episode of songs and inter-dimensional communication was off putting. The love triangle had some great scenes, especially the singing at the hospital but the way they left it open leaves more to be desired.

Overall, I felt this series was "very good" = 8/10.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-10-19, 08:25   Link #162
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wink

Well, considering the nudity was mostly implied and tastefully done (and was restricted to the final episode, in what amounted to no more than a few seconds), I have no problem with it myself.

Last edited by BetoJR; 2008-10-20 at 02:26.
Old 2008-10-19, 21:02   Link #163
Joachim
et tu, brute?

you guys forgot DD? that guy charged straight into "birdman" and died like a badass

that guy even toyed with our roy focker..

too bad he's on the villain side... so he didn't get that many scene, but yea that guy piloting skill was also amongst the best
Old 2008-10-20, 11:23   Link #164
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Oh that guy? What kind of name is DD anyway?
Old 2008-10-20, 17:58   Link #165
Seifall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post

Same with Alto. There was something not right with him too. Brera tried to kill him last episode, but he was now in good terms with him? His hate for the Vajra went away in an instant. He became a Vajra lover at the very last minute. Unconditionally. With no hard feelings.
the scene with Ranka and Sheryl embracing each other was more unbelievable. I think it's Wesley who said something right about how they were never friends during the serie; and at the end they showed us a couple of friends making up ....

Quote:

But nothing moved. Lies. In fact, it stopped moving permanently since this triangle will be never be resolved. He won't dare tip off that balance with Ranka and Sheryl raking in sales for Macross Frontier. He won't dare.
I hoped but think so too
Old 2008-10-20, 18:16   Link #166
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I think that you are underestimating the power of Alto.
Sheryl and Ranka may never have been shown as the best of friends (even if Ranka was a fan and Sheryl took a liking to the spunky kid and managed to inspire her into the spotlight), but they were OBVIOUSLY rivals for Alto's affection. If you can't see that, I'm sorry, but you're interpreting things wrong.
So, their making-up makes sense - even more because they both saved each other in the span of the last episode.

Old 2008-10-21, 18:00   Link #167
lars18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
the scene with Ranka and Sheryl embracing each other was more unbelievable. I think it's Wesley who said something right about how they were never friends during the serie; and at the end they showed us a couple of friends making up ....

I hoped but think so too
I absolutely disagree with you. Ranka and Sheryl had a connection from the moment they met. Sheryl sang for her and helped her ascend into stardom of her own will. They were friends during the series.
Unfortunately, Sheryls career did not spare her so much time for social interactions and the little time she had when she would sneak out, she tried to spend with Alto which I think was a legitimate move.
Old 2008-10-22, 16:32   Link #168
Seifall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I think that you are underestimating the power of Alto.
Sheryl and Ranka may never have been shown as the best of friends (even if Ranka was a fan and Sheryl took a liking to the spunky kid and managed to inspire her into the spotlight), but they were OBVIOUSLY rivals for Alto's affection. If you can't see that, I'm sorry, but you're interpreting things wrong.
So, their making-up makes sense - even more because they both saved each other in the span of the last episode.
I can understand it if you say that they survived (like they sang it in Lion) so that's why they were embracing each others.
I'm not discussing about that, I'm just comparing this scene which can relatively easily be interpreted as a peace and love message between the two, which does not exposes pretty much the thin consistency of their relationship along the serie.
They were more like Laura and Mary from the little house on the prairie than rivals who just escaped death.
Ranka's last sentence was a way to crop their relationship on the picture.
Of course they are rivals, and I said it a lot of times, that's why I choose my words in full knowledge of the facts : " they were never friends".
This being said, the fact that you did interpret that I said the contrary of that : " but they were OBVIOUSLY rivals for Alto's affection " is out of all understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars18th View Post
I absolutely disagree with you. Ranka and Sheryl had a connection from the moment they met. Sheryl sang for her and helped her ascend into stardom of her own will. They were friends during the series.
Unfortunately, Sheryls career did not spare her so much time for social interactions and the little time she had when she would sneak out, she tried to spend with Alto which I think was a legitimate move.
They were never friends during the serie. They had a connection, yes, but friends ? I do not think so.
She gave advices for Ranka in the music area, and Ranka thought of her as her favorite female singer and even had her poster in her room but nothing more. Except for them being in interactions because of the triangle role in the serie which involved Alto and made them become rivals for him, what have been showed throught their music and behaviour.
Old 2008-10-22, 19:48   Link #169
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wink

Quote:
This being said, the fact that you did interpret that I said the contrary of that : " but they were OBVIOUSLY rivals for Alto's affection " is out of all understanding.
No, you misunderstood me. I commented that the "embrace" scene wasn't unbelievable at all, since you have to take in the context of both their rivalry for Alto's affections and whatever grudging respect there may be between them, and also the fact they just saved each other during a life-or-death battle. Since you were disputing the validity of the scene, I thought I should illustrate my point.

Anyway, you acknowledge they were rivals and that they had just been on a very near death experience, and still you dispute the validity of their bond, at this point?

Old 2008-10-23, 16:38   Link #170
solomon

Does anyone else think that this would be a good fit for Sci-Fi's ani-monday block?

If it were able to be licenced of course.
Old 2008-10-23, 17:02   Link #171
Tiran86

7.5/10, voted 7 in the poll since I don't think its quite an 8/10 series due to the ending. I wish they had settled the Love Triangle plot.

Unlike a lot of people here this is my first exposure to the Macross universe. The series was very enjoyable and I plan on going back and watching more Macross after I finish a few other series I've been meaning to get to. I'm glad to hear that music is one of the major themes of Macross because this series had some very enjoyable music and singing.
Old 2008-10-23, 17:47   Link #172
lars18th

Quote:
They were never friends during the serie. They had a connection, yes, but friends ? I do not think so.
She gave advices for Ranka in the music area, and Ranka thought of her as her favorite female singer and even had her poster in her room but nothing more. Except for them being in interactions because of the triangle role in the serie which involved Alto and made them become rivals for him, what have been showed throught their music and behaviour.
Ranka cried when she found out she was talking to her idol, Sheryl on the second episode. I don't know about you but I like a lot of singers. Probably won't cry for any of them whether I meet them in person or even if they die.
Ranka even mentioned she liked Sheryl as a person, on her interviews etc...

Sheryl, on the other hand helped Ranka in her career, gave her free tickets and always showed a special affection for Ranka while being at the same time, a total ass to mostly everyone else around her or just plain simply ignoring them.
Clearly, her personality and career would not allow for any depth of further friendship but if you think about it, Ranka was the only person person Sheryl liked the most in the show with the obvious exception of Alto.

Clearly we see the series from completely different perspectives because I cannot agree with you at all that they were not friends.
To me, even if their friendship is not openly mentioned throughout the show, it is easily implied.
Old 2008-10-23, 22:36   Link #173
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I don't know why Seifall would have such a difficult time accepting the fact that Sheryl also had (friendly) affection for Ranka. If they weren't on friendly terms at all, then why all the encouragement Sheryl gave to Ranka? Why all the support? Why? Because Sheryl cared.

While Ranka was Sheryl's rival in love, Sheryl hardly treated her as such, and before 22, Sheryl even encouraged Alto to simply choose Ranka over her due to her own physical condition. Yet, for all of Sheryl's considerations for Ranka (in addition to shouldering the responsibility of saving humanity), I wonder what was her reward... you know what, nevermind.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-23, 23:25   Link #174
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I don't know why Seifall would have such a difficult time accepting the fact that Sheryl also had (friendly) affection for Ranka. If they weren't on friendly terms at all, then why all the encouragement Sheryl gave to Ranka? Why all the support? Why? Because Sheryl cared.

While Ranka was Sheryl's rival in love, Sheryl hardly treated her as such, and before 22, Sheryl even encouraged Alto to simply choose Ranka over her due to her own physical condition. Yet, for all of Sheryl's considerations for Ranka (in addition to shouldering the responsibility of saving humanity), I wonder what was her reward... you know what, nevermind.

- Tak
Can't say I disagree with what Tak's said. Let's not fall into the trap of understanding only sided arguments but try to think about how the other side felt / acted as well. Shery has shown many times over that she really cared for Ranka.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-24, 03:49   Link #175
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But while Sheryl was shown to really care about Ranka, the reverse isn't quite true. Sure, she was a (big) fan and all, got a big thrill over talking/hanging out with her idol, but that doesn't mean she cared about her much. After all, the series got out of its way to show exactly the contrary.

And the slap in the final episode? Pathetic.

So, they were friends? If you deign a one-sided friendship as such, then yes. Since I do not, I don't think they were really friends, much. I could go for friendly rivals, but that as much as I would go.

Old 2008-10-24, 06:38   Link #176
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yet, for all of Sheryl's considerations for Ranka (in addition to shouldering the responsibility of saving humanity), I wonder what was her reward... you know what, nevermind.

- Tak
A slap?

To be fair, I guess the reasoning behind that event is mainly to get Sheryl to snap back to her senses. It still comes out of nowhere though. I think it could've been handled better.

In a not so related topic, my biggest gripe concerns Alto's birthday gifts from Sheryl and Ranka. It's disappointing that it's Ranka who gets to share that sky with Alto, when it's Sheryl who gives it to him in the first place. Kawamori definitely succeeded to piss me off in that episode... just as he planned!
Old 2008-10-24, 07:25   Link #177
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
In a not so related topic, my biggest gripe concerns Alto's birthday gifts from Sheryl and Ranka. It's disappointing that it's Ranka who gets to share that sky with Alto, when it's Sheryl who gives it to him in the first place. Kawamori definitely succeeded to piss me off in that episode... just as he planned!
And that episode simply makes me wonder if he wanted us to adore Ranka-chan or damn Ranka to the very bottom bowels of Protoculture hell?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-24, 07:47   Link #178
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Interesting. On the episode in question, I was mad at Sheryl for taking him away from poor Ranka. How things change, eh?

Old 2008-10-24, 08:00   Link #179
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Interesting. On the episode in question, I was mad at Sheryl for taking him away from poor Ranka. How things change, eh?
Then you should be mad at episode 11

Episode 12 is where Ranka robbed it from Sheryl

- Tak

Old 2008-10-24, 08:13   Link #180
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I meant the whole situation, I guess. But I did kinda feel uncomfortable about Ranka being in the plane with him... I guess I was already warming up to Sheryl, by that point in time.

Closed Thread