AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Mai Otome 0 ~S.ifr~ Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 25 37.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 17.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.49%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.49%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-25, 02:47   Link #61
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyWolf View Post
Where was it mentioned that Alyssa (Rena's ancestor) is a replica HiME?
Er, in Mai-Hime?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:07   Link #62
LonelyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Er, in Mai-Hime?

- Tak
Ofc, I should've been more precise: in the Otome series.

Edit: so if it wasn't I'll assume she wasn't a replica at all. If the two series were indeed 100% linked (immigration era etc blabla) then I don't see why it wasn't said so somewhere, concretely, by the makers.

To me it's a half-assed attempt that was made to create the Otome universe. Using the HiME series as a jumping-off point.

Last edited by LonelyWolf; 2008-11-25 at 03:21.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:20   Link #63
Tak

Quote:
Ofc, I should've been more precise: in the Otome series.
Its quite obvious to me that Alicia remained a replica when Miyu referred to Mikoto as a HiME, capable of materializing naturally (never mind that she has the HiME mark while Rena does not), which is different than Rena, who required the Artemis system, an artificial construct based on the technology that gave HiME their powers.

Since Miyu came from a line of production which also spawned the M9 series, its not really difficult to guess that the Sayers family was responsible for a lot of technologies used in the Otome universe, including the powers held by Otome themselves.

Also note that while child is referenced in Otome, they were never considered to be artificial constructs the way robes were. So yes, Alicia was a replica of the HiME technology, except while the Otome cannot communicate with Artemis directly, Rena and Miyu both could, being directly related to the Sayers and all. Mikoto on the other hand, draws her powers from elsewhere.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:39   Link #64
LonelyWolf

It's all speculation.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:42   Link #65
Tak

Quote:
It's all speculation.
One based on facts.

Of course, you can always prove otherwise.

- Tak

Old 2008-11-25, 03:57   Link #66
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermer View Post
Oh, and as for the Spanish Inquisition from Bruce, well, if you were master to an otome that awesome, would you want some dude coming along and neutralizing her nanomachines?
Oh trust me, if I see a girl I'm used to hanging around with almost every moment of my live act like that with a guy she only just met, Nanomachines will be the last thing on my mind when I hold him at gun-point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaiko View Post
And right about there is where the OVA threw a huuuuuge monkey wrench back into the face of the original series:

Spoiler:
Because Otome was written before S.ifr, obviously they hadn't taken this into account yet. But the point is minor, because who says she didn't use it? I can't recall seeing the battle between the cyborg squad and Rena in Otome, so this is a very easy retcon. Might also explain why Shiro isn't around anymore, the death of a Child takes away ones most precious person after all.

Quote:
On another note: Miyu looked sad/resigned and closed her eyes when she saw Rena start to summon Artemis. Why?
Memories of Alyssa, maybe?

Quote:
It's all speculation.
We have the golden hair, Miyu, Rena's Sears-like Hime mark, Artemis, plenty of evidence really.

On the flipside, what proof is there that points the oposite? Do we have any proof that Alyssa isn't a replica Hime? If none is present, then it really becomes a moot point to say she isn't.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-11-25 at 04:49.
Old 2008-11-26, 22:03   Link #67
Scarlet Letter
Littera Coccinus

Send a message via MSN to Scarlet Letter
It isn't Rena Sayers, it is Lena Sayers ( if you look at her Gem when she is materializing is says " connecting to L.S", remember the Japanese pronounce L like R)

Quote:
Spoiler:
I think if this was true, Nagi would know, since he clearly knows things other characters do not. Also, Nagi's hair is ultramarine, where does this come from?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
True, but in Mai Otome, Arika starts floating in the air without nano-machines. Also, in her battle versus Nina the first time, she breaks her robe holding up the ship. We can assume if she was wearing the Blue Sky Sapphire at the time, she would have no problem holding it. Also, Bruce doesn't need to, since :

Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Lena Sayers":

Spoiler for Shiro in the beginning of Mai Otome:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-26, 22:05   Link #68
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Letter View Post
Spoiler for Lena Sayers":
What? Where'd you get that? From what I could remember, they looked nothing alike.
Old 2008-11-26, 23:34   Link #69
Scarlet Letter
Littera Coccinus

In one of Mai's flashbacks, in a photo, you see her mother.
Old 2008-11-26, 23:55   Link #70
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
In one of Mai's flashbacks, in a photo, you see her mother.
And this was in Mai HiME you say? Because there her mother had no black hair... If you could post a pic, that'd be great since I have no access to any episodes anymore.
Old 2008-11-27, 00:16   Link #71
Scarlet Letter
Littera Coccinus

Actually, scratch that. Not true, don't know where that idea came from.

Sorry. ^_^'
Old 2008-11-27, 02:07   Link #72
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
I think if this was true, Nagi would know, since he clearly knows things other characters do not. Also, Nagi's hair is ultramarine, where does this come from?

Spoiler:

Spoiler for :
Old 2008-11-28, 02:24   Link #73
Sakuya
*Artist

By the way, can anyone who knows Japanese pinpoint what Raquel's attack is? I know the second word is "Canon" but what's the first one?
Old 2008-11-28, 07:49   Link #74
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
By the way, can anyone who knows Japanese pinpoint what Raquel's attack is? I know the second word is "Canon" but what's the first one?
I believe it's "Chiichiki Cannon", but I'm not too sure.
Old 2008-11-29, 09:44   Link #75
starCHILDE

I just watched the last OVA. Great ending for S.ifr, but they left me wanting to see more of these group of Otome. Rena is so amazing!! BTW I think the girl in the bandages is Mikoto, she's about the right height and she has a similar body.

Does somebody know if they've announced more OVAs or something like that?
Old 2008-11-29, 13:05   Link #76
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by starCHILDE View Post
I just watched the last OVA. Great ending for S.ifr, but they left me wanting to see more of these group of Otome. Rena is so amazing!! BTW I think the girl in the bandages is Mikoto, she's about the right height and she has a similar body.

Does somebody know if they've announced more OVAs or something like that?
Hisayuki-sensei announced that he was gonna take a break after S.ifr for a bit, so not yet. The HiME/Otome animation team is currently working on Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo.
Old 2008-11-29, 17:08   Link #77
Amaiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Spoiler:
Sorry, but considering that Sifr shows us over and over again how insanely freaking powerful Rena is, to the point that:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Memories of Alyssa, maybe?
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Letter

It isn't Rena Sayers, it is Lena Sayers ( if you look at her Gem when she is materializing is says " connecting to L.S", remember the Japanese pronounce L like R)
I've also see the Japanese use "Oh hory night" for "Oh holy night" and "Blookryn" for "Brooklyn", (and let's not forget "Materiarise" from the first episode of Otome) so I tend to take any Japanese spellings with a huge grain of salt. Since both "Lena" and "Rena" are actual names, it's hard to tell which one is actually "correct", "evidence" aside.

Quote:
True, but in Mai Otome, Arika starts floating in the air without nano-machines.
I've always taken that scene as evidence that the whole "sperm destroys nanomachines!" thing isn't exactly true: it renders Otome powerless, but because it changes the nanomachines into something different, not destroys them entirely and that bit was at least partially due to Arika being the child of a former Otome: Rena somehow passed the "altered" nanomachines down to her child. That would also explain Yohko's comment about how well Arika was adjusting to the nanomachines, unlike some of the other girls, and also the whole Shinso thing, since only an Otome who has given birth can be one.

Quote:
We can assume if she was wearing the Blue Sky Sapphire at the time, she would have no problem holding it.
Maybe, and maybe not. Remember how John Smith mocked her in episode 16 or 17, saying that Arika hadn't even unlocked the full power of the robe and that she was basically using it on it's lowest setting? Then again, Rena's body being captive might have also had something to do with that, because of Miyu's comment about Rena's soul finally being set free after Arika destroyed the Valkyrie crypt. You could probably make it go either way.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-29, 17:38   Link #78
starCHILDE

I don't know why people are assuming that the fact that Arika is Lena's daughter gives her nearly infinite power like her mother's. It's not like you get to be an excellent surgeon if your mother is one. Did Sunrise specify in any episode that those powers (HiME or Otome) are genetic? If they didn't, I can understand Arika being so powerful, since she's using a Super Meister Gem like the BSS, but not being the powerhouse her mother is because she doesn't have that kind of power (HiMe power or whatever).
Old 2008-11-29, 18:01   Link #79
Tak

Quote:
I have a really hard time seeing how anything short of Yuna would be capable of taking out Rena's Child. This woman practically eats Meister GEMs for breakfast and she's only sixteen:
Sorry, but who is 'Yuna'? Or do you mean Una, the headmaster?

Although I am quite certain Fumi exercised similar, if not greater abilities.

Quote:
Unless Sunrise decides to whip out yet another "battle Garderobe kept secret during an era noted for peace" to show Rena's Child being killed in battle prior to the beginning of Otome (which, for the reasons I outline above, would strain credubility to the breaking point), I'm still keeping this one as a potential plot hole.
Have we confirmed that Rena has a child? Artificial or not? I recall in Zwei that the Otome were quite astonished to see their enemies being almost childlike. Therefore, I can only conclude that nobody yet seen a real child, of if they have, they would have made references to it.

Quote:
I have a really hard time seeing Rena making anyone more precious to her than her "masters", since she couldn't even do that with her own daughter.
Yes, I actually would like to know more about just what happened in the palace during the attack that night. Although it might be possible that Arika was already sent away.

Quote:
I've also see the Japanese use "Oh hory night" for "Oh holy night" and "Blookryn" for "Brooklyn", (and let's not forget "Materiarise" from the first episode of Otome) so I tend to take any Japanese spellings with a huge grain of salt. Since both "Lena" and "Rena" are actual names, it's hard to tell which one is actually "correct", "evidence" aside.
I watched mostly the raw versions, so yes, I do agree. I can care less about the official Romanization of the names. It won't matter the slightest bit to Japanese audiences.

Quote:
I've always taken that scene as evidence that the whole "sperm destroys nanomachines!" thing isn't exactly true: it renders Otome powerless, but because it changes the nanomachines into something different, not destroys them entirely and that bit was at least partially due to Arika being the child of a former Otome: Rena somehow passed the "altered" nanomachines down to her child. That would also explain Yohko's comment about how well Arika was adjusting to the nanomachines, unlike some of the other girls, and also the whole Shinso thing, since only an Otome who has given birth can be one.
That always got me thinking, I wonder who descended from Fumi.

Quote:
It could have also been getting darker because she was getting older and more powerful, and as I said in my original post, her Otome powers were probably masking her HiME ones. She likely didn't realise that it wasn't due to her Otome powers getting stronger, but the HiME ones getting stronger.
Yet, regardless of the similarities, she was no HiME. The only HiME in Otome was Mikoto. No matter how powerful Rena was, no matter how close she was to being a HiME, she was not HiME due to the simple fact that Alyssa came from a line of replicas. And I wonder how she'd match against Mikoto.

Quote:
[spoiler]It's been said already, but I completely agree with it: I really think Sunrise dropped the ball here by making Rena so overpowered and especially so overpowered compared to Arika. You don't get that kind of diluation within one generation and while Arika is clearly supposed to be something of a powerhouse, she is leagues and leagues below her mother power-wise.
Well, I take it more or less as Rena being a mutant, a freak of nature where that particular portion of her genes manifested more so than Arika's. It was more or less a random occurrence than something that could not have been calculated or predicted. After all, who are we to say that Rena's mother was an Otome (or anything close to being one?)?

Again, too many questions, too few answers. Hopefully, this will initiate the next Otome TV series. After how Nadesico turned out, I am still unhappy with the results.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-11-29 at 21:13.
Old 2008-11-29, 18:04   Link #80
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sorry, but who is 'Yuna'? Or do you mean Una, the headmaster?
I believe Yuna was the alien thing in Zwei.
Closed Thread