AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-30, 04:50   Link #1
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Who's bright idea was it to put the sleep function in Vista?!

Alright so here's what happened:

-My sister accidentally hit the moon button on the keyboard and the computer goes into 'Sleep Mode'.
-I tried hitting it again, nothing
-Hold the power button down, it shuts down and when I tried turning it on again, the monitor doesn't show anything.

It's a Dell if it matters.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 20:53   Link #2
Eviltape

Happens with my sister's HP laptop for some reason. (Hello, alternate universe posting) Disconnect battery, plug into socket, start, reinsert battery. May work for you.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 21:37   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

And if you have a PC, turn your computer off, unplug, wait a few seconds, then power it up again. Sleep never turns the computer's power off, and if you force it it will probably lose track of whether it's supposed to go to sleep or whether it was asleep.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 23:59   Link #4
onehp
Banned

Isn't sleep just turning off your computer while keeping memory?

Last edited by onehp; 2009-01-01 at 00:11.
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 15:11   Link #5
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
This happened to me with a friend's desktop... I never use the sleep function, but I accidentally pressed the gigantic sleep button on the keyboard (great idea HP!). Only way to get it back was by unplugging the thing.

Quote:
Isn't sleep just turning off your computer while keeping memory?
As far as I understand, it dumps all memory contents to disk... or am I confusing it with hibernation?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 16:52   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

In my personal experience it all comes down to the hardware. Some MB simply sux and won't wake after u tell it to sleep.

Yeah. Sleep = hibernation. Everything dumped into disk.
Old 2009-01-01, 19:17   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yeah, I suspected as much. Switching off the power would not do too much good if you intend to keep the data in volatile memory.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 20:37   Link #8
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I believe you can set the options in the power management screen. At least on my PC it gives options for if you press the "sleep" button, it can Do Nothing, Prompt User, Standby Mode, Hibernate, Shut Down.

I believe by default it's set to hibernation (if that's enabled on the PC) otherwise it's automatically set to standby mode (computer's on, but the video and disc drives are powered down)

But yes, if something messes up I've been unable to bring the computer out of standby mode. Had to physically disconnect the power to force a hard reboot.
Old 2009-01-01, 20:51   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

Oh that reminds me also those keyboards where the power/sleep/wake buttons are right next to the arrows keys. If you dont turn off their function u turning off ur PC.
Old 2009-01-01, 22:56   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
In my personal experience it all comes down to the hardware. Some MB simply sux and won't wake after u tell it to sleep.

IIRC, hibernation is entirely different. As you said, hibernation dumps all of RAM into disk and powers down. Sleep is analogous to Standby from pre-Vista days and basically powers down everything except for what's required to keep RAM alive, i.e. all disks, drives, and PCI cards. In theory, upon receiving input, the processor will get back to work with the full contents of RAM ready to go without loading it from anywhere.

The difference as I guess here is that in case of failed hibernation the OS would boot, look at the hibernation file, find the RAM contents invalid, throw it away, and start over fresh.

In case of failed Sleep/Standby, the CPU (which was not turned off) gets back to work, looks at the RAM, but doesn't know what the hell's going on and sits there. Alternatively, too many things were powered down, leaving the user no means to communicate to the PC that it's time to resume.

In short, many more things can go wrong in uglier ways with Sleep.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 18:18   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
IIRC, hibernation is entirely different. As you said, hibernation dumps all of RAM into disk and powers down. Sleep is analogous to Standby from pre-Vista days and basically powers down everything except for what's required to keep RAM alive, i.e. all disks, drives, and PCI cards. In theory, upon receiving input, the processor will get back to work with the full contents of RAM ready to go without loading it from anywhere.

The difference as I guess here is that in case of failed hibernation the OS would boot, look at the hibernation file, find the RAM contents invalid, throw it away, and start over fresh.

In case of failed Sleep/Standby, the CPU (which was not turned off) gets back to work, looks at the RAM, but doesn't know what the hell's going on and sits there. Alternatively, too many things were powered down, leaving the user no means to communicate to the PC that it's time to resume.

Ups... You are right. I haven't used these for ages. I got confused. Anyway don't bother to put to sleep or hibernation. Just leave the PC on and turn off the monitor if you are going away.
Old 2009-01-03, 06:32   Link #12
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Exactly. That's why I NEVER use Sleep mode. If I am not touching my PC for more than 30 mins and want to save some power, I will simply use Hibernation.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 07:54   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It is good to know I am not the only one who hates that functionality.