Yes 180 52.63%
No 149 43.57%
Never seen it 13 3.80%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-24, 03:33   Link #141
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Is Naruto overrated? I think so...it doesn't deserve all the hype it's getting.
Is Naruto a bad show? I don't think so...it's a good show -- but not a great one.

Naruto (in manga and, by extension, anime) is starting to fall into the trap of most American shows - lengthening the series for more money. Not to say that this is exactly what Kishimoto's going for, but the pacing is horrible.

In the past 4 volumes and counting, almost no time has passed at all. There has been very little character development.

People point to the Zabuza arc as the best one, and I can easily see why. (I don't know whether or not I agree.) Since it's the first arc Kishimoto created, and he couldn't be sure if he would still have a job after this arc, he put everything into it. If you've only got one chance, make it count, right?

What made the "oh sh*t" moment during the Zabuza arc (and those of you who watched/read it should know exactly which moment I'm talking about) was that it was a combination of techniques we had seen before. It was smart because it was a surprise - but on reflection, nothing we hadn't seen before, just a new way to use old tricks. It was also a testament to how quick thinking can beat both power AND experience. Since then, there has only been one or two cases like that.

Naruto took off, Kishimoto had some idea of what he wanted to do, but how? You've got a solid beginning and (hopefully) a solid end, but what about everything in the middle? How will you spread that out? How many extra characters will you throw in there? I think right now, in the manga, he's at a point - where does he want to go? What to do? Does he want to begin wrapping up major storylines? Start winding down the series? Or, does he still have the urge to write? Make up new storylines (and I feel that the Akatsuki were sort of thrown in as a new crop of villians).
Old 2004-05-24, 06:40   Link #142
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
is naruto overrated? i voted no

i like the show because of the following reasons:

1-story: i enjoyed the story it involves an orphan who is virtually hated by most of his village for things that aren't his fault, the story revolves around how this orphan strugles to gain recognition and acceptance
2- characters: all characters have something to contribute to the story some as rivals and aome as villans, some have sacrificed themselves for important persons to show the main characters what it means to protect your important person, some characters where added to show how the main character what would have happened to him if things ran differently, and i could go on but to sum it up until where i have watched (all anime episodes all manga chapters) all characters and arcs served as a nice elements to the plot or added as emotional factors to the story.
3- action: very well made and well explained, not to mention unique and smart
4- the setting of the story (naruto world): a very unique world which is very well made and to be honest i have never seen an anime with a similar world
4- animation quality: to my eyes it is very fine and enjyoable except in some episodes
5- voice actors: they fit the characters very well in my opinion
6- direction: that is the only thing that is wrong in this anime IMO the last arc was directed very poorly except for episode 78-79 they really need to work on the pacing and conversion from anime and manga
7- op/ed : i don't know about the rest of you but i liked all of them except the first op

edit: the previous rating i provided were according to my taste and nothing else and that was the reason for my vote

in the end is it the best anime that was ever made? my answer would be there is no such thing as best anime ever made there is only best anime i have ever watched

is naruto the best anime i have ever watched? no, because i haven't found the best anime i have ever watched yet kenshin had the potential but they just screwd the story after the shishio arc and the amount of filler they added before that was ridicoulus. the closest one to the best anime i ever watched could be gto but then again the ending seemed to be in rush for my taste
Old 2004-05-24, 09:17   Link #143
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetrio
if you think naruto is overrated, then stop watching it. we will see if you can control the temptation. if you can't, pls stfu. naruto is the best anime after dbz imho. other animes are easily forgettable.
Oh my God. If this was posted on my forum you and your entire IP block would have been banned.

And to comment on the last statement from review boy right above me, everyone has a 'best anime they've ever watched'. They have to, it's simply the way things work. If you've seen one anime, it's the best you've ever watched. If you've seen five, your favorite is the best you've ever watched. It may get complicated when you've seen a few hundred, but you form a mental list of things that are great in your own mind. For me, I have one favorite anime from each genre, and if asked, I say "This is the best comedy/drama/action/romance/etc. anime I have ever watched." That doesn't mean that I don't have others that I love, but there can only be one best.

And on to Naruto. The general definition of 'over-rated' is something along the lines of 'thought of and rated more highly by the general public than one deserves', right? That would mean that if Naruto is in fact over-rated, most of you would claim that it's not, because you are, in fact, the general public. Interesting. Look, it's simple. You like something, and that's cool, but people just need to admit that even though they like it, it's not fucking God Almighty, capice? I've seen countless people say 'the pacing is crap but it's still the best'. That's such bullshit. If the pacing is crap, then it's not the best, it's slow as spit sliding down a glacier in Antarctica. If the animation has flaws, then it's not the best at that either. The music is decent, but I've heard countless animes with better soundtracks. The action is like another DBZ, repetitive sequences flipped and mirrored and slowed down and chopped and then explained. The only thing it has going for it right now is that it appeals to a very large demographic and it has a pretty original backdrop and some likable characters. That makes it decent. Not bad. A good waste of half an hour if you have nothing better to do each week. But nothing more. Now why the fuck can't the Narutards see that? Did I miss the subliminal messages in the Naruto opening credits or something?
Old 2004-05-24, 09:29   Link #144
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Did I miss the subliminal messages in the Naruto opening credits or something?
*watches intro*

Yes.... Naruto Is God... All Haill.... Naruto.... @___@.....

I saw the first episode of Samurai Champloo a day or two back and I think it pretty much blows away anything I've seen in Naruto so far... or rather I should put it this way. I enjoyed watching that one episode much more than any single episode of Naruto I've seen(and yes, I've seen all 80 something).

Truthfully, I don't even download the newest episode of Naruto as soon as it comes out as I just don't have enough desire to see it that fast... I read the manga and for some oddball reason I still find the manga more enjoyable to read than the anime.

If the general public(the majority of the Naruto fans) claim "stfu, naruto is the best anime next to dbz imho" then yes, Naruto really is overrated. I do hope that this is not the case and he's just one rabid fanboy.
Old 2004-05-24, 09:35   Link #145
whatever123

Quote:
And to comment on the last statement from review boy right above me
"review boy" weird coming from someone 1 year younger than me

anyways i only made my personal review to express the reason behind my vote, i believe i stated that.

as per the "best anime i ever watched" i completely agree with you

and nice job on your site i am complete addict to many of your series i like the work you do and thanx for providing fans with such great works

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-05-24 at 10:36.
Old 2004-05-24, 10:28   Link #146
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I'll call a 30-something boy or a man a bitch. You know, think outside of the box and all that. Society'll get you down if you follow all the rules. Or something, idunno.

And thank you, I'm glad you like the site ^^
Old 2004-05-24, 10:33   Link #147
whatever123

Quote:
I'll call a 30-something boy or a man a bitch. You know, think outside of the box and all that. Society'll get you down if you follow all the rules. Or something, idunno.

And thank you, I'm glad you like the site ^^
it was meant as a joke, sorry if it didn't seem like it

edit: added a bit
Old 2004-05-24, 10:40   Link #148
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetrio
if you think naruto is overrated, then stop watching it. we will see if you can control the temptation. if you can't, pls stfu. naruto is the best anime after dbz imho. other animes are easily forgettable.
Thats what I did

Dbz is not an anime , it's an american cartoon *run away dodging the flames*

Naruto could have been good if the plot didnt become so bad and I would have liked it alot more if the character design was not so much inspired by other anime (*cough* HxH *cough*).

Naruto is enjoyable, but if you consider that the best anime youve saw, than maybe you should go back to watching stuff like TMNT or other cartoon in the like. Because in the end, its the same thing and will become the same thing once its get liscenced.

Something I find weird is how animesuki made their forum at the same place of that Naruto forum.... What? the opposite?
Old 2004-05-24, 14:24   Link #149
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I think a lot of people are getting off track here.

The question posed by this thread is NOT whether or not you like Naruto.

It is NOT asking if Naruto is a good or a bad show.

It is asking if Naruto is overrated.
Old 2004-05-24, 15:16   Link #150
Imazul

Im think im in topic by saying Naruto is like any other fighting cartoon, so its obviously overrated..
Old 2004-05-24, 17:20   Link #151
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
Dbz is not an anime , it's an american cartoon *run away dodging the flames*
The stupidity of this remark leaves me speechless. Almost.

If I licensed HxH and cut it into a 2 hour long movie about Gon and Killua's homosexual attraction to one another it would still be anime. It would be hacked to all hell, but it would be ANIME that was hacked to all hell. To make it not anime I'd have to reanimate it all.
Old 2004-05-24, 18:02   Link #152
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I do love Naruto, but I agree 150% that Naruto is overrated! There are so many just wasted episodes in which we just get a look at a close-up of two faces as they have an inner-dialog about how to beat their new enemy, and each time they learn something new about the enemy their eyes widen in gasp.

I'd say a good 20 Naruto episodes ended like this:
"He has the (insert technique more powerful than the normally technique he's been using here) and if he uses it... (GASP) (EYES WIDEN)"

It usually takes another episode or two to see the outcome of that confrontation two... ugh

If Naruto eliminated alot of the BS, it would be just fine, cuz it really is a good show.
Old 2004-05-24, 18:09   Link #153
Imazul

Quote:
The stupidity of this remark leaves me speechless. Almost.

If I licensed HxH and cut it into a 2 hour long movie about Gon and Killua's homosexual attraction to one another it would still be anime. It would be hacked to all hell, but it would be ANIME that was hacked to all hell. To make it not anime I'd have to reanimate it all.
There like 10 years old kids, you have a really really wicked mind...
Old 2004-05-24, 18:59   Link #154
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Love knowns not the boundaries of age. Besides, I never said they'd have hot butt sex. I said that I'd compile it using the evidence presented in the anime. And since they never actually kiss or anything in there, all I could use would be things like "I really like you, Killua" And lots and lots of blushing. My point was that an anime is always an anime no matter how Americanized or crappified it gets.
Old 2004-05-25, 08:15   Link #155
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Naruto is a good anime, but it's way overrated.
Old 2004-05-25, 09:23   Link #156
Jumper
Shimurai

I also think that Naruto is overrated, althoug i like the Anime/Manga really, but the reason for this is that i simply like Fighting Animes much.
The Problem on naruto is simply that the Story (and Naruto has a good Story, compared with other Fighting Animes) especially in the Anime is too strong streched, and thats the main problem.
Old 2004-05-25, 10:50   Link #157
Blaat

If ayone follow's Ask John at animenation there's an interesting question regarding "overrated anime". I suggest people read it.
Old 2004-05-25, 11:35   Link #158
madeener
君の犬です - bow wow!

Location: i live in singapore, you know where that is? its not in china! lol
Send a message via MSN to madeener
I really do think Naruto is overrated. 1st and foremost there are too many episodes which are just lame talk and lame action, which makes it seem like its boring. Because of this, I prefer now to wait about 3 episodes and download them all at one time, so as not to be excited and end up with just another lame talking episode.

Ive seen many anime give better and more fluent output than Naruto, but if it seems Naruto is somehow better, I would say Naruto is indeed overrated
Old 2004-05-25, 15:53   Link #159
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeener
I really do think Naruto is overrated. 1st and foremost there are too many episodes which are just lame talk and lame action, which makes it seem like its boring. Because of this, I prefer now to wait about 3 episodes and download them all at one time, so as not to be excited and end up with just another lame talking episode.

Ive seen many anime give better and more fluent output than Naruto, but if it seems Naruto is somehow better, I would say Naruto is indeed overrated
Hmm that's not a bad idea, I might try that as well

I just remembered that when I first read about Naruto and discovered it was about ninja's, I was really really excited for it (I was thinking of it being like a ninja-type Rurouni Kenshin, but with a lot more seriousness/coolness and less happy la-la times). Then when I downloaded the first episode, I was like wtf is this? This isn't ninja-like at all (I've researched ninja history, culture, and tradition in the past, so I know what I'm talking about). The first impression that Naruto laid on me was "this is like little kiddie-ninja stuff". I was extremely disappointed at that time, I was hoping for Naruto to be so much more serious, realistic, and uber-cool than it is.
Old 2004-05-25, 17:11   Link #160
Anko Plushy

Location: Sometimes LA sometimes the Soul Society sometimes SD sometimes Konoha it all depends on my mood
Send a message via AIM to Anko Plushy Send a message via Yahoo to Anko Plushy
I don't think so but my boyfriend definetly does... thanks to me not stopping to talk about it
Closed Thread