AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-05-26, 06:03   Link #1
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Officially Opened For a Limited Time--Xenosaga Episode II Special Site

I'd been rather removed from the gaming world lately--or I would have discovered this sooner. I'm sure many of you have already found this. In any case, in a rather strange marketing blitz in the final days leading up to the release of
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose on 06/24/2004 in Japan, a "Special Site" has been opened since 04/16/2004 and schedule for closure on 07/31/2004 The site is:
http://www.xenosaga.jp

This site is primarily Japanese with English-base main menu at the top. It's teeming with Xeno-goodness Check the download section for wallpapers and desktop characters,

You need to check under the "Another Story" Section even if you can't read Japanese. The section houses sixteen 30-second serialized shorts depicting a world in chaos from the Xenosaga Episode II: The Premium Box being sold out. The shorts are made from existing footage of the new game, they feature no sound or voice, just hilarious subtitles that I wish I can understand all of it--I got the gist of it and I was already giggling like a schoolgirl At the end of the series, the on-screen texts say something to the effect of
"Of course, this story is entirely fictitious. But to prevent something similar from happening, we suggest that you go and reserve your copy of Xenosaga Episode II now."--the impact is greater after having seen the image The videos are on streaming WMVs and need to be viewed on site--check it out.

In the spoiler tag is a screenshot of the saliva and foam inducing Premium Box and its contents--damn it looks good.
Spoiler:
Also available in limited quantities as a pre-order bonus, you get a DVD called "Episode I Director's Cut" featuring roughly 4 hours and 46 minutes of a story digest cut and edited from the Episode I by the Director, Mr. Takahashi, as well as Seiyuu interviews.

Anyways, that's enough talk from me--check it out! Before it gets closed down!
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 13:33   Link #2
fallen angel

Send a message via AIM to fallen angel
That's a really cool site, thanks Melazoma. I'm anxiously waiting for this game as well, to bad that the release date got pushed back from August to Febraury. Do you know if they're going to have a premium box set like they one shown in the picture in the U.S.?
fallen angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 14:17   Link #3
Melazoma

While I don't know if they'll release a Premium Box in the U.S., if the Episode I release was any indication, I'd say that they won't--much to my dismay.

And you say the U.S. localization is slated for February 2005? Oy--that'll be a long wait.
Old 2004-05-26, 14:50   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
And you say the U.S. localization is slated for February 2005? Oy--that'll be a long wait.
Well, Namco RPGs are pretty notoriously long in translation. But, really, if you compare it to other media (like anime), it's probably not too bad. I mean, consider that Xenosaga is probably equivalent to a full season of anime, when you count all the dialog and cut-scenes and terminology. If it actually comes out in February 2005, that's not that bad - the original took almost a year to translate, and both Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos are also taking about a year each.

Still, though, it doesn't make the wait any easier! I'm anxiously awaiting this game... perhaps I should actually finish the first one, though... (I'm at the "Song of Nephilim"...)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 15:54   Link #5
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, Namco RPGs are pretty notoriously long in translation. But, really, if you compare it to other media (like anime), it's probably not too bad. I mean, consider that Xenosaga is probably equivalent to a full season of anime, when you count all the dialog and cut-scenes and terminology. If it actually comes out in February 2005, that's not that bad - the original took almost a year to translate, and both Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos are also taking about a year each.

Still, though, it doesn't make the wait any easier! I'm anxiously awaiting this game... perhaps I should actually finish the first one, though... (I'm at the "Song of Nephilim"...)
It's been so long since I finished Episode One (American Localization) that I don't remember most of the details... Come to think of it, I was modestly pleased with the dubbing--and that says a lot
Does anyone knew who/what studio did(and hopeful is still doing) the Xenosaga English dub? In the Japanese version, the voices are being handled by powerhouse seiyuus such as Maeda Ai as Shion Uzuki (Kino of Kono's Journey, Megumi-tan of Gash Bell) and Suzuki Mariko as KOS-MOS (Yuu of Airmaster, Neito of Yumeria), among others.
Old 2004-05-26, 16:48   Link #6
fallen angel

Send a message via AIM to fallen angel
Quote:
Does anyone knew who/what studio did(and hopeful is still doing) the Xenosaga English dub?
I couldn't find the studio but I found most of the voice actors. Hope this helps.

Shion - Lia Sargent
KOS-MOS - Ruby Marlowe
MOMO - Katie Ashley/Sherry Lynn
Ziggy - Richard George
Jr. - Ian Hawk
Chaos - David Umansky
Albedo & Gaigun - Crispin Freeman
Margulis - Michael McConnohie
Cherenkov - George C. Cole
Matthews - Sparky Thornton
Hammer - Dylan Tully
Tony - Tony Oliver
Mary - Wendee Lee
Shelly - Dorothy Melendrez
Wilhelm - Richard Hayworth
Helmer - Beau Billingslea
Miyuki - Michelle Ruff
Virgil - Lex Lang
Lapis Roman - Debbie DeRosa
Pelegri - Julie Pickering
Council Members include Robert Wicks, David Lucas and Steve Kramer
Realians on the Durandal include Sandy Fox and Reba West
fallen angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 16:59   Link #7
mah_damey

eh i still havent played the first one.. is it juss another turn based rpg or is there something unique about the battle sys?
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 17:25   Link #8
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen angel
I couldn't find the studio but I found most of the voice actors. Hope this helps.

Shion - Lia Sargent
KOS-MOS - Ruby Marlowe
MOMO - Katie Ashley/Sherry Lynn
Ziggy - Richard George
Jr. - Ian Hawk
Chaos - David Umansky
Albedo & Gaigun - Crispin Freeman
Margulis - Michael McConnohie
Cherenkov - George C. Cole
Matthews - Sparky Thornton
Hammer - Dylan Tully
Tony - Tony Oliver
Mary - Wendee Lee
Shelly - Dorothy Melendrez
Wilhelm - Richard Hayworth
Helmer - Beau Billingslea
Miyuki - Michelle Ruff
Virgil - Lex Lang
Lapis Roman - Debbie DeRosa
Pelegri - Julie Pickering
Council Members include Robert Wicks, David Lucas and Steve Kramer
Realians on the Durandal include Sandy Fox and Reba West
Ooh I see Crispin Freeman who was involved with the Full Metal Panic! R-1 dub cast--not that I actually listen to it, I just keep my eyes on the credits all the time
And to mah damey: This game has an epic story that takes you through the final days leading up to the disastors that began the Xenogears story. Currently, Xenosaga is scheduled to be released in a total of 6 "Episodes" and this is, as you see, just Episode II. The gameplay is turn-based RPG with a lot of long cutscene 3-D animations--personally, I loved it, but many hated the feature because it was too static. In any case--it's a great game that I definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great story.
Old 2004-05-27, 00:51   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Come to think of it, I was modestly pleased with the dubbing--and that says a lot
Does anyone knew who/what studio did(and hopeful is still doing) the Xenosaga English dub?
Actually, yeah, the English dub really wasn't bad at all... and I'm not typically a big dub fan either. It was done by ZRO Limit Productions, who have done a lot of work in the anime localization industry.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 00:53   Link #10
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

I think I'll enjoy the second one alot more than i did the first Xenosaga. I had way too high of expectations for Xenosaga I and it ended up letting me down a bit. Xenogears had a really great epic story that went on and on for 80 hours. Xenosaga was only half as long and when it ended I felt like I had only played half a game.
Spoiler:

Also I didn't care much for the linear gameplay, they took the FFX route and ditched the whole overworld map gameplay (being in space imagine it would have been hard anyways) and had the game progress from point A to point B to Point C and by the end of the game they allow you to jump back to previous locations. Hopefully since part of Xenosaga will take place on a planet this might not be as big a problem for me.

Also I was really looking forward to Jin Uzuki being in the game since he'd appeared in so many trailers but he was pushed into the second game instead. Also Kosmos and Momo were too undeveloped and felt cookie cutter to me. Kosmos more than Momo really, Momo had some good scenes like her piloting. Kosmos however was the Rei - robot and I really hope they program a personality in her during the second game. (Wow brainstorm! Buyable personality chips! You could swap em in and out and she'd act different depending on the chip! Would mean more work on her but it'd be pretty cool) Meanwhile, Ziggy has one of the greatest origin stories and barely gets any good scenes. (He committed suicide but had written into his will that he'd donate his body to science, he's brought back to life as a cyborg and programmed not to take his own life so he takes on the most dangerous assignments he can as a mercenary hoping to die!) Jr, Chaos and Shion were also all really nice and it's a shame Shion is losing her glasses for the second game.

Xenosaga 2 however should be pretty cool since they've promised the inclusion of martial arts to some degree in it so hopefully will see some cool Xenogears esque combos in there.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 00:55   Link #11
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Actually, yeah, the English dub really wasn't bad at all... and I'm not typically a big dub fan either. It was done by ZRO Limit Productions, who have done a lot of work in the anime localization industry.
Yes, what I liked about the dub was their use of recognizable voice talent. Every five minutes I'd hear a voice actor and say "hey that's ____'s voice actor!". Never heard any voices that I was displeased with except for maybe Kosmos and that was just because of the whole lack of personality thing.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 06:12   Link #12
N1nj4

Send a message via AIM to N1nj4
I can't wait. I'm a huge fan of the series.

I have this faint hope that the battle system will be more like that of Xenogear's. I doubt it, but it's still a hope. I've heard people claim that they have the same battle system, but just isn't true. Xenosaga's system is a hollow shell of Xenogear's version.
N1nj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 14:13   Link #13
Secca
nya`
*Artist

There is a Xenosaga II trailer and demo play movie on the net. Here some screenshots for those who hasn't seen it yet. ^^

Spoiler for Xenosaga episode II:

Last edited by Secca; 2004-06-06 at 15:07.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote