AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-25, 13:38   Link #121
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
Nope.. I haven't read either Monster or 20 CB. I prefer anime over manga, so I'll stick to watching monster anime. 20 CB I might possibly read since its unclear whether its going to get turned into an anime.
I'm guessing 20CB will be turned into an anime after the manga's finished if it does become an anime at all, like Monster. Both are by the almighty Urasawa Naoki, and 20CB has the most amazing a) plot and b) characters in any manga or anime I've ever read/seen.

You won't be disappointed
Old 2004-05-25, 16:00   Link #122
Suikun

Quote:
Hm.. interesting. I thought CN had the control over what gets aired where. At either rate, Gundam Seed is irretreivably ruined. ( I really hate to think how they are going to butcher the bloodbath of an episode 49)
In the end, CN does have the upper hand as to where something goes - Bandai could whine and beg all they want, but once a contract is signed, CN could do whatever they want with Gundam Seed. It's just that CN lets the distributors control them alot more than they should allow, and as such you'd never know that CN actually had the upper hand and not the distributors. If FUNimation were to give CN some sincere crap about how perfect Fullmetal Alchemist is for Toonami and just how much CN would benefit from having the show during that age group, then CN would buy it in a heartbeat and put FMA on Toonami.
Old 2004-05-25, 16:15   Link #123
Ral
Idea!

Quote:

And now seeing someone else's post about FMA going on Saturday action block (where seed is right now), I'm even angrier. After all FMA is a shonen manga (correct me if I'm wrong). So its target should be Japanese teens teens as well.
Really really wouldn't be surprised if it got aired with TV-y7 ratings..
FMA will be on Adult Swim, Seed is on Toonami. There both on Saturdays but on different blocks. FMA would be less edited than Seed and I doubt it would be TV-Y7 since it's on AS. Also, doesn't shonen mean boy? Shonen titles are usually aimed for kids - teens.
Old 2004-05-25, 22:40   Link #124
Suikun

If it's on AS, I guaruntee you it will receive a TV-14 rating (the highest that CN's BS&P allows) and if it does go to Toonami (although it looks like it's been confirmed that it won't) there is the slight chance that it will get a TV-PG rating (or maybe still a TV-Y7 FV rating but a very very loose one... like how Gundam Wing still got a TV-Y7 FV rating when it aired completely uncut on Toonami) because it was announced in the press release about the new Saturday night Toonami that they'd be targeting "older teens" (and this is evident in the Nielson ratings reports about Toonami - they now quote the 12-18 age bracket in addition to the 9-12 and have now dropped the 6-11 age bracket) and although Gundam Seed certainly doesn't reflect that, it's very possible that Gundam Seed was edited for the old Toonami (that only quoted 6-11 and 9-12 year olds as it's demographic) and by the time plans for the new Toonami were finalized, it would prove too troublesum and time-consuming to re-edit it for the new Toonami.

Although I'm still unsure as to whether CN edited Seed or if Bandai did (CN edited Cowboy Bebop yet Bandai edited G Gundam, so it's not like it is with FUNimation where FUNimation edits anything and everything they give to CN themselves) it is always possible that Bandai just refused to give in to the new guidelines for Toonami and rather edited it more heavily in hopes of getting an earlier timeslot... I kinda' doubt it, though.
Old 2004-05-26, 13:27   Link #125
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike9711137
Cartoon Network?? I dont want this to turn into another DBZ!!!
Oh well, Cartoon Network destroyed the image of DBZ and Saint Seiya, now it is the turn of FMA to be trasformed into a 5 to 13 year old cartoon with lots of funny voices and a very happy story. *shivers*

CURSE CARTOON NETWORK! for ruining two of the most successful animes in history!!!
Old 2004-05-26, 16:00   Link #126
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Oh well, Cartoon Network destroyed the image of DBZ and Saint Seiya, now it is the turn of FMA to be trasformed into a 5 to 13 year old cartoon with lots of funny voices and a very happy story. *shivers*

CURSE CARTOON NETWORK! for ruining two of the most successful animes in history!!!
Err... Cartoon Network had absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Ball Z and Saint Seiya. Cartoon Network merely buys broadcasting rights to anime from the distributors that produce the English dubs - they don't actually produce the dubs themselves.

FUNimation is fully responsible for ruining Dragon Ball Z (which, in turn, is because of the precedence Saban set for them), and DiC is fully responsible for ruining Saint Seiya. Cartoon Network merely bought the broadcast rights to them. If you don't like the English dub, blame the distributors; not Cartoon Network.

The only time you can blame Cartoon Network for "ruining" something is when it comes to some of Bandai's shows, as Cartoon Network edits alot (not all, but alot) of those shows themselves. Of course, they only do the editing in these cases - they don't do the actual dubbing.

As far as I know, Cartoon Network has set a policy of not editing the shows anymore themselves (my guess is because they make so many mistakes - the first run of Outlaw Star, for example, left the words "damn", "hell", and "bastard" in several times...) so at this point, I think the distributor is pretty much the only one anyone can blame for anything that airs on Cartoon Network. I think the only thing I'm unsure as to who edited it is Gundam Seed, since so many of the edits are similar to those seen in Mobile Suit Gundam, a show that CN edited.

Also, and this is a BIG also, never ever ever blame Cartoon Network for changing names or music. I don't have the greatest respect for Cartoon Network most of the time, but one big thing that people should realize is just how accepting of foreign things they are. Not once on any of the shows they've gotten have they changed names or the music or erased kanji or any form of Japanese culture from their shows. T

he only times this happens is if the distributor decides to do this themselves... meaning that it's not at all Cartoon Network's fault. Many of the people at Cartoon Network - especially those who run Toonami - are proven anime fans, and they don't like to see these Japanese cultulal elements leave the show anymore than you or I.

CN was one of the very first networks to ever leave the original background music on all the shows they edited, meanwhile Fox Kids and Kids' WB! and any other network you could think of was doing so as standard procedure. CN may not be the greatest place for anime, but they've done alot for it and it always bugs me when people accuse CN for doing these things that they have no control over.

I'm in agreement with you; what happened to DBZ and Saint Seiya was simply awful. But you have to place blame on the right people.
Old 2004-05-26, 16:43   Link #127
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
and DiC is fully responsible for ruining Saint Seiya.
And ADV is responsible for saving the show and giving it a proper, sub/real dub release on DVD.

In fact the only holdout that continually denies even so much as a sub-only release is 4kids.
Old 2004-05-26, 17:25   Link #128
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
And ADV is responsible for saving the show and giving it a proper, sub/real dub release on DVD.

In fact the only holdout that continually denies even so much as a sub-only release is 4kids.
Yeah... for the most part, anyway...

Nelvana also doesn't release a (or sublicense the shows for a) subtitled Japanese version on DVD. The only thing they have done so with so far is Cardcaptor Sakura, which, of course, was sublicensed to Pioneer. But, in all actuallity, there are only so many people who'd actually buy subtitled Bakuten Shoot Beyblade or Medarots (myself being one of the few), so it's kinda' understandable in their case.

Actually, as much as I dislike DiC's English dubs, I give them great amounts of credit for sublicensing their shows to ADV for release in subtitled Japanese form. If 4Kids could only learn from DiC's example and sublicense their stuff out to FUNimation (who distributes their stuff)...

I hear that FUNimation constantly prods 4Kids to allow subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King, but 4Kids just won't budge...

Last edited by Suikun; 2004-05-26 at 17:36.
Old 2004-05-26, 23:37   Link #129
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
just a question or two:

On Big O the opening is really in english or did the licenser change the names?

And on the last episode (season 2) did CN really edit the last scene out or is that how its suppose to end?

... ...
Old 2004-05-27, 00:17   Link #130
Ral
Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrackus
just a question or two:

And on the last episode (season 2) did CN really edit the last scene out or is that how its suppose to end?

... ...
I don't know about if the OP was in english or not. I'm guessing it was in english in the start. For the last episode, they showed the scene the first time that episode played. I remember seeing it again where they didn't show. And I'm pretty sure the last time that ep. played (last time I saw it) , they showed the part in the end.
Old 2004-05-27, 00:34   Link #131
method

Well the opening is a homage to the Flash Gordon theme and just features the words Big O being repeated over.
Old 2004-05-27, 01:20   Link #132
Yoda117
Galley Slave

Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
All I have to say is this... it's a shame that the companies involved can't seem to get decent VAs to do the work. Funimation is a BIG problem in the industry because of where they are located. Since Tx doesn't have rules relating to who can do voiceovers, they aren't required to get professional talent. If you guys want to have some fun at an expo, ask the VA panel as to mic placement or how they are able to shift registers to do certain character voices.

You'll get a strange look from them.

We all know that Am/Can VAs just can't compete with the Japanese, for obvious reasons. The first generation is usually the best when it comes to that kind of stuff, but it's becoming more and more apparent that a lot of these companies aren't even trying.

Soz... needed to get it off my chest (still fuming from Otakon last year with some of the stupidity that came out of their mouths).
Old 2004-05-27, 10:00   Link #133
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrackus
just a question or two:

... ...
Like Ral said, Cartoon Network did show the final episode in it's entirety the first time the episode aired. It was around this time, however, that CN started going through all their anime and shortening them for time reasons (most shows merely got their credit sequences sped up, although many actually ended up getting a ton of time cuts during the show). This lead to speculation that the reason Big O's ending was cut was because of time, since it was becoming apparant that CN had some newly placed time restrictions. But another thoery people have as to why the ending was cut was because the ending, on it's own, seemed too final, and CN wanted to leave things open enough in case they ordered yet another batch of episodes. My guess is that it was just for time reasons, but nobody really knows.

If what Ral said was true (that they showed it in full on the latest run) then it's probably not for time reasons, though. I didn't watch it on it's previous run, so I wouldn't know. Big O has just recently starting airing Saturdays at 12:30AM (taking over Inuyasha's second spot) so you might want to catch that run and see if they show it in full, again... assuming CN actually sticks with it before replacing it with something else (Big O had, what, 3-4 runs before initially being taken off, yet Cowboy Bebop has been run about 10 million times already... I hate CN's schedule management!)

As for the opening; yes, the opening Cartoon Network plays is exactly, frame for frame, like the Japanese version (err... with English credits, of course.) The song was in English, and the names of the characters written in that ransom note style were all in English as well.
Old 2004-05-28, 10:00   Link #134
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
Interesting. I bet the ending was in english too in the original.

I'll catch it this next run and see if they don't cut it. As I remember, they showed the last scene and then cut it off in the middle; which totally cut off my "ending episode adrenaline rush."
Old 2004-05-28, 20:12   Link #135
Yoda117
Galley Slave

Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
I hate CN's schedule management!

Hell yeah... CN has major issues with their scheduling. It's almost as bad as WAM! (if you guys have ever seen their scheduling you'd know what I mean). Some days I truly wonder what the hell they are thinking with some of the choices they make.
Old 2004-05-29, 18:05   Link #136
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
The 1st Trailer it's just the 2nd OP. (With Eng dub. in the beginning.)
http://eeshop.unl.edu/jpages/video/FMA_Large.wmv

Found the missing dub trailer.
Old 2004-05-30, 04:48   Link #137
GokuSongoku

how will they actually edit in the anime?

they can change the voices and change the OP and ED's rigth.. what more?
Old 2004-05-30, 12:32   Link #138
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokuSongoku
how will they actually edit in the anime?

they can change the voices and change the OP and ED's rigth.. what more?
Assuming it airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, they'll probably shorten the ending, cut the opening, digitally remove any exessive amounts of blood or close-up shots of wounds, re-dub any foul language, and possibly cut minor things here and there (like prolonged scenery pans) for time reasons.

Also, FUNimation is known to use full graphic overlays to translate on-screen text or signs as opposed to subtitles in the titles they get on TV (which is just as well, since Cartoon Network usually has the subtitles removed, anyway. Evidently, it's okay to see Japanese kanji on the screen, but it's not okay to know what it means.
Old 2004-05-30, 12:53   Link #139
GokuSongoku

So just plainly..

..make it sucky?
Old 2004-05-30, 13:01   Link #140
method

Actually AU on Techtv was known for cutting long pan scenes.

Question for all the poeple who keep bringing up DBZ, how is DBZ ruined? Funi is going back and redubbing the first 53 episodes which is where the major complaints come from. Also everyone should be aware that DBZ and Sailor Moon were in syndication long before CN brought the rights to those episodes.
Closed Thread