AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-28, 18:40   Link #321
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Never read the manga...Just disappointed for other reasons.

The first episode had a great morbid feel to it what with the random deaths and seeing such an unexpectedly brutal fight involving a girl that looked rather fragile at first. That coupled with an actually interesting male lead made me pretty excited...

Now here we sit with episode 3...The fights are still somewhat hard hitting, but they defiantly lack the umph of what they showed possible in the first episode...Some of that probably stems from this contract sillyness...They started this series with a good ol' slugfest, but now there falling back on that tried and true shonen junk of power-ups replete with little show-off scenes that completely disrupt the flow of action. They also feel rather silly when you look at the tone the show tries to set at times with the one in episode 2 feeling downright OOC which leads me to my other main gripe...

And thats what their doing with the lead....Episode 1 he had a slight aura of pensiveness about him in episode 1...He genuinely cared about those around him, but couldn't bring himself to become too involved with them. He has little of this emotional intelligence now and just lashes out at people with little in the way of showing what he's really thinking about...

I guess you could argue that he's become more callous because of what hes learned and seen in previous episodes, but the way it's presented just comes across as childish undirected anger for no reason and makes him genuinely hard to like in any respect...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 19:57   Link #322
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

We should take your, Kaoru Chujo and SuperKnuckles advice then and refrain from further discussing the manga in this thread.
Well there is a manga thread I'm sure you know.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 22:44   Link #323
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
That coupled with an actually interesting male lead made me pretty excited...
what D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
And thats what their doing with the lead....Episode 1 he had a slight aura of pensiveness about him in episode 1...He genuinely cared about those around him, but couldn't bring himself to become too involved with them.
WHAT DDD:

Its just ridiculous how Keita stands around being oh!, ah?, uh..., no "please" stop, huh?, while Kuro is getting beaten by various guys. Ok he punched one with a chair. I actually liked that. But well thats all about it. And then suddenly BAM he goes all gar and does Digimon evolution synchro with Kuro.

Not really my definition of interesting.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 15:49   Link #324
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 20:08   Link #325
v1cious

is the color screwed up on anyone else's channel? everything is green.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 22:23   Link #326
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
...We should take your, Kaoru Chujo and SuperKnuckles advice then and refrain from further discussing the manga in this thread.
Hey, now I feel bad. I'm not totally against talking about the manga. I've done it myself. It's just that if we do too much of it, the anime gets buried.

Not that it might not bury itself. I enjoyed ep4, but it was certainly slow. I'm getting the feeling that the director of Emma and writer of Marimite don't know how to do shows like this one. There may just not be enough interpersonal meat in the story for them to make it like those animes, and they may not know how to do an action show that will appeal to action fans.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 23:02   Link #327
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
is the color screwed up on anyone else's channel? everything is green.
Yea. It was green for me (the 8 PM PST one). I wonder why..
Spoiler for ep 4:

Last edited by Rawgers; 2009-01-29 at 23:27.
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 15:58   Link #328
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Is it wrong to enjoy it when Kuro gets the shit beaten out of her?
Old 2009-01-31, 16:04   Link #329
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ Yes.

I think so, unless you are a sadist you enjoy watching cute girls getting hurt which automatically puts you into the category of "wrong" anyway

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 23:49   Link #330
yozaku
Always Idle

I think eps 4 is better

at least keita not as useless as previous eps
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 02:59   Link #331
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
Is it wrong to enjoy it when Kuro gets the shit beaten out of her?
Nooooo! Don't listen to Deathkillz. It's okay to enjoy seeing her being beaten to a pulp. It's shonen. Her payback to the opponent is always worse that way.

But that teacher was really getting into it. He was sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Hey, now I feel bad. I'm not totally against talking about the manga. I've done it myself. It's just that if we do too much of it, the anime gets buried.

I also enjoyed it when the manga readers were commenting on the differences.
Old 2009-02-01, 06:33   Link #332
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I also enjoyed it when the manga readers were commenting on the differences.
& i'd like to discuss these episode with anime only viewers like myself, though a lot of them come in here, see all the manga talk and walk away without posting.

So yeah, less of it please? Give the anime only viewers more of a chance.
Old 2009-02-01, 07:06   Link #333
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ Yes.

I think so, unless you are a sadist you enjoy watching cute girls getting hurt which automatically puts you into the category of "wrong" anyway
Well I guess I have to see the doctor soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& i'd like to discuss these episode with anime only viewers like myself, though a lot of them come in here, see all the manga talk and walk away without posting.

I watch the anime first, then read the manga.
Problem is I always lag a few episodens behind so there is not much to comment on.
Old 2009-02-01, 11:43   Link #334
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

New Megami scan

Spoiler for slightly NSFW:

+ another scan:

Old 2009-02-01, 12:01   Link #335
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

But we already know that this is an alternate universe title so seeing hidden manga comments shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
New Megami scan

Spoiler for slightly NSFW:
Oh, they're playing the fanservice angle early due to pissing off the manga readers.
Old 2009-02-01, 12:23   Link #336
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
After watching episode four, I am left somewhat confused, the fight in the end was quite boring, most of the story development came by indirectly talking about it, it felt like a friend of mine just recited a summary of the script. Also they introduced 4+ major characters (depending on how thing go in Okinawa)!

I also found it quite funny, that after Excel complemented Keita's intelligence, he immediately does one of the most stupid things, by punching Steiner!

Spoiler for the greater picture:

Spoiler for Manga-based critic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Oh, they're playing the fanservice angle early due to pissing off the manga readers.
Wise move ... and this is coming by one pissed-off manga reader :P

... and by the way someone should change that tag from seinen to shounen.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 02:32   Link #337
Eej
wat
*Fansubber

Every day is angry day. Episode 4 was as awful as your average Index episode. A whole lot of words, followed by a shoddily animated fight scene and then more words.

At least George Nakata, Yukari Tamura and Noriko Shitaya keep things amusing.
Eej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 00:59   Link #338
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

what the freak. in ep 3, he just STANDS there and is like, "sensei, what are you doing?" while she's getting her face punched in and choked.. wow. what a dick. then, after a 2 line conversation, he suddenly finds the conviction to fight, and they say "syncho" in sync with each other. like, i laughed at the stupidity of that part.

in my mind, that one scene was like a horrible fate stay/night...

eej, i agree with your blog about ep 4 too. what an idiot.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-02-05 at 01:18.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 06:29   Link #339
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
what the freak. in ep 3, he just STANDS there and is like, "sensei, what are you doing?" while she's getting her face punched in and choked.. wow. what a dick. then, after a 2 line conversation, he suddenly finds the conviction to fight, and they say "syncho" in sync with each other. like, i laughed at the stupidity of that part.

in my mind, that one scene was like a horrible fate stay/night...

eej, i agree with your blog about ep 4 too. what an idiot.
After having the same life experiences as him, and being thrown into this situation, you're telling me you wouldn't react the same way?

Not all guys can be knights in shinning armor.
Old 2009-02-05, 06:47   Link #340
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, but he is an ANIME character.

I think it's sorta understandable with him, because Kuro is the one with all the physical might.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, seinen, sunrise