AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-06-01, 16:41   Link #1
SurferX

DivX/XviD DVD player

Just wondering if anyone has been using one of these. I'm interested in getting a DVD player that would be capable of playing AVI files and such. I understand that because the AVI format is so non-standard and some groups will use random codecs/filters/whatever so I wouldn't expect every single thing to work but just was wondering if anyone was using one with good success. I was looking at the Phillips DVP-642 as it seems pretty widely compatible and very affordable. Any suggestions from those who have used these types of players?
SurferX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 01:39   Link #2
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
Get the Lite-On 2001 or newer models. They have firmware releases every once in awhile for support for new formats and disk compability.

The newer models have a lan port that you can connect to your lan (duh) and watch files either from a cd, dvd, or over the network.

It has slideshows, mp3, divx, xvid, dvd, vcd, vcd 2, etc. They are also probably one of the most recognized "generic" units around, even though they aren't really that generic. The company makes drives for Dell, Sony, TDK, Cendyne, Verbatum, and many other companies.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 03:30   Link #3
panianna

As a DVD/DivX player fanatic myself, I can give you a few advices. When you choose a player, you should ask which chipset it is based on. To my knowledge, there are only 3 major 'players' in this field - SigmaDesigns, ESS and MTK. MTK chipsets are considered the best nowadays, they are ( or at least some of tem) 100% DivX compatible. That means you theorethically wouldn't have any problems with anything DivX/XVid encoded. In practice the problems will arise a plenty. Just remember, DVD player is not a computer, it has its own limitations. No player would play OGM or MKV files, or AVI with Voxware or AAC audiostream. But still your Philips will successfully play 95% of fansubs on Animesuki and you won't need to know anything about codecs, splitter and conversion into VCD, because everything will be included.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 10:10   Link #4
SurferX

Thanks for the tips. One bad thing I've heard about the Phillips is the overscan so 640x480 avis (mainly what I'd be using this to play) will get cut off and the subs will be unreadable. So I think that pretty much eliminates that one completely, unless there is a firmware update to correct this.

The Lite-On from what I have read does not have this problem, however it seems to be difficult to find where I can purchase it. All the links to the online stores that I could find who sold them are outdated and it is not available anymore.
Old 2004-06-02, 10:29   Link #5
MarcB

Philips 737

I am the owner of a Philips 737 (based on the ESS chipset). I can confirm that it play 95% of all fansubs(AVI-container) without problems.

The other 5% are XVID files encoded with QPEL and/or GMC which the Philips 737 cannot play. But that is no problem because you can transcode these files with Virtualdub so you are still able to watch these fansubs .

The RGB output is excellent too !.
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 14:34   Link #6
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
I can't recommend any DVD standalone Players after what I heard so far.

The main problem is, that all of those don't support the MPEG-4 AVS Profile, wich describes a few features introduced in the newer XviD versions (pointing on Qpel and GMC).
Well, I'm not so very sure how Anime Releasers encode their material (some of them still release in DivX3, hehe ), but nowerdays most Releaser Groups use this profile because it increases Quality, therefore the most movies won't player on your DVD standalone Player.

I myself, considered several times to buy one too, but I decidet to wait a few genenerations until DVD standalone Player completely support XviD.

Regards, Fix85
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 15:35   Link #7
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
I plan on purchasing a mini-itx motherboard to make my own inexpensive/compact media pc.

That way i can have full PVR functionality and run any codec out there. (Since it uses an x86 CPU, any OS will work). Technically I wouldn't even need any drives since i could just stream everything over my wireless network.

http://www.mini-itx.com
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 16:05   Link #8
TronDD
Team the box!

I think I might do the same thing. I've got tons of computers sitting around and I don't care if it's not mini or anything like that. A computer is the way to go for complete compatibility. I wouldn't do it that way if I didn't have them lying around, though. A DVD player will be cheaper than a full computer (probably not by much, I haven't priced PC stuff in a long time)
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 16:29   Link #9
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferX
Thanks for the tips. One bad thing I've heard about the Phillips is the overscan so 640x480 avis (mainly what I'd be using this to play) will get cut off and the subs will be unreadable. So I think that pretty much eliminates that one completely, unless there is a firmware update to correct this
I am not sure what you mean with "overscan 640x480 avis" ?.

When I play a 640x480 fansub on my Philips 737 the subs are fully readable....

Do you have a example avi file ? So I can test this for you on my Player.
Old 2004-06-02, 16:32   Link #10
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
I wonder, if anybody already made experiences with moddet XBox ?

I heard, that you can run Linux Kernel on it (therefore you can play almost every movie), wich makes it to a good alternative to DVD Standalones.

However my knowledge about this alternative is quite less, Im just curious if anybody tried this
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 17:06   Link #11
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Quote:
Originally Posted by samir85
I wonder, if anybody already made experiences with moddet XBox ?

I heard, that you can run Linux Kernel on it (therefore you can play almost every movie), wich makes it to a good alternative to DVD Standalones.

However my knowledge about this alternative is quite less, Im just curious if anybody tried this
I believe this would anwswer your question.
Modding Xbox into the ultimate media center

I still think it would be easier just to use a tiny mini-itx motherboard instead.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 19:43   Link #12
SurferX

The issue about overscan that I brought up, is that some of the picture falls off the bottom and right edges of the screen. I noticed this when I first tried TV-out with my Radeon 9800p and set it to overscan, thinking it would automatically fill the TV screen appropriately without me having to mess with the adjustments. What happened though is that in overscan mode, it zoomed in too far on the picture and much of it was lost off the edges. Many people have seemed to report this same thing happening when playing DivX files on these players. However on the standalone players it appears you can't turn overscan off and adjust the screen manually like with the computer. The overscan thing probably is not noticable to people watching normal stuff but for anime, depending how low the subtitles are in the video, part of them could fall off the screen as well.

In the end after reading everything, I think I will hold off on getting one of these. I've already been watching computer videos on my TV by sending picture through S-video out on my video card and audio through the mini-plug output with an RCA stereo converter. I thought getting a DivX enabled player would make things more convenient but after more and more research it appears it will just be a big headache and sticking with the computer output is the way to go. I think I'm just going to get a PC remote capable of controling Winamp so I can have the couch convenience of a standalone player without dealing with the incompatibilities and probably a sound card with at least direct RCA outputs for better sound quality than I'm getting with the mini-plug output having to use a mini-plug splitter and RCA converter.
Old 2004-06-04, 17:44   Link #13
MarcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferX
In the end after reading everything, I think I will hold off on getting one of these. I've already been watching computer videos on my TV by sending picture through S-video out on my video card and audio through the mini-plug output with an RCA stereo converter. I thought getting a DivX enabled player would make things more convenient but after more and more research it appears it will just be a big headache and sticking with the computer output is the way to go. I think I'm just going to get a PC remote capable of controling Winamp so I can have the couch convenience of a standalone player without dealing with the incompatibilities and probably a sound card with at least direct RCA outputs for better sound quality than I'm getting with the mini-plug output having to use a mini-plug splitter and RCA converter.
Did you not read my post and the post of Panianna ?.

The sound and video quality are excellent with my standalone divx/xvid Player.

I connect my player via a Scart cable on my TV so that I can enjoy RGB quality video. And I can play 95% of all fansubs on Animesuki without problems (till now).

I think it is a wrong conclusion to say that a DivX enabled player will be a big headache. Also I never have experienced the overscan problem which you have explained......I can read the subtitles without any problems on 640x480 avi's (Subtitles encoded as part of the video).

I am not flaming ! just giving my opinion
A PC remote capable is a good solution too I think and more futureproof.
Old 2004-11-05, 13:28   Link #14
Kurow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB
I am not sure what you mean with "overscan 640x480 avis" ?.

When I play a 640x480 fansub on my Philips 737 the subs are fully readable....

Do you have a example avi file ? So I can test this for you on my Player.
Maybe the Philips 737 supports the 640x480 resolution but i have a Philips 642k/78 with the last firware installed and the subs from almost all the fansubs get cut off [Example: Naruto (Anbu), One Piece (Kaizoku), Gundam Seed Destiny (Anime Keep) this last one not at all]. I have make a lot of google search about this problem but i can't find the solution to this. Encode again the chapters take me about 4 hours every chapter and i have all the stuff burned in cds =S. I bought this unit just for fansubs but now i have this problem .

If you want a DIVX Player buy the Philips 737 not the 642 .
Kurow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 22:29   Link #15
cabbit

I have a Lite-On unit myself and it works great. Can't wait for the network models to be readily available. A wireless option would be awsome!
Old 2004-11-14, 19:56   Link #16
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
I'm making a media center pc right now. I'm using the mini-itx p4 board with a 1.8ghz celeron. 512mb ram , 40GB western digital laptop hard drive, light-on dvd burner(full size) and a 200W external power supply. And all this is going into my old nes, i have the cpu, ram and dvd burner. Just need to get the other parts then i can start building this thing.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 02:32   Link #17
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurow
Maybe the Philips 737 supports the 640x480 resolution but i have a Philips 642k/78 with the last firware installed and the subs from almost all the fansubs get cut off [Example: Naruto (Anbu), One Piece (Kaizoku), Gundam Seed Destiny (Anime Keep) this last one not at all]. I have make a lot of google search about this problem but i can't find the solution to this. Encode again the chapters take me about 4 hours every chapter and i have all the stuff burned in cds =S. I bought this unit just for fansubs but now i have this problem .

If you want a DIVX Player buy the Philips 737 not the 642 .
So use Philips 737 can play 95% fansubs from animesuki without any problem (reading the subtitles clearly), correct? However, useing Philips 642 will have the problems (can't read the subtitles at all) In fact, I plan to buy 642, now I think I don't need to. I should buy 737, right? Can I play RMVB files without any problem if I use Philips 737. Please help me, and thank you for helping. Where can I buy Philips 737? (in North America)

Last edited by K'9999; 2004-11-20 at 01:22.
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 05:46   Link #18
cabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Zero
I'm making a media center pc right now. I'm using the mini-itx p4 board with a 1.8ghz celeron. 512mb ram , 40GB western digital laptop hard drive, light-on dvd burner(full size) and a 200W external power supply. And all this is going into my old nes, i have the cpu, ram and dvd burner. Just need to get the other parts then i can start building this thing.
Nice! Make sure you post pictures afterwards!