whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Thanks for providing the link.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 13:31   Link #162
Amray

For me it is always the start of writing a novel that is the most difficult issue. "How can one start a novel where the reader will be tempted to continue through to the next chapter?" is what I will think. I would like to keep it interesting throughout the story so that people will want to continue reading it.

With regards to the dystopian thriller of which I spoke of earlier in this thread, I was thinking about starting it with words and conversations that will appear through the later story, things in which the reader will not understand until they get to that chapter in which this dialogue occurs. The lines will have to be quite interesting though so that the reader should think "That sounds good, I assume that chapter will be good to read when I get there". I know the opening of the story too and it will be quite interesting. It will get really emotional if all is planned well and the readers should hopefully fall in love with these characters to make the later chapters more epic.

Another issue is the many ideas that I have to finish the story itself. I keep getting more amazing ideas in my head of how to end it and I do not know which one that I should use. I suppose it will end being the one which I most lately thought of as it is the most epic and most upsetting and emotional, yet quite happy. The twist that I made up will also be amazing, I have that all planned too. From thoughtful experience, and how this story finishes, I now know that a story can have a really upsetting, yet truely happy ending.

The only thing that I have to worry about now is getting amnesia, in which case all of these wonderful ideas and many years of planning will perish.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 15:38   Link #163
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

As a history teacher once said back when I was in junior high school, you need to come up with an introduction that "grabs the reader by the nuts." Not literally, of course, because I would be quite frightened if a pair of hands were to emerge from a book I was reading.

There is no black and white way of doing it, though. Just go with what you think will work. You could perhaps post something here and get some feedback.

It seems that you have an idea already of what you want to do, which is good.

Twitter
Old 2009-02-21, 14:23   Link #164
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I wanted to do something special for my 200th post so I decided to share some of my writing. This is the first short story that I ever finished and it was written in the course of one night. The idea for it came to me while I was sitting in a car at a supermarket's parking lot. Its a romance story. Here it is in two parts:

Spoiler for Part I:

Spoiler for Part II:

Feedback would be nice. However, I don't plan to change much on this one because I'm already pretty much done with it. I've moved on to other stories.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 14:47   Link #165
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Intro + Part 1

The others I’ll get to soon.
Narroth, if there’s one story out of your collection you’d like a review for, let me know otherwise I’ll just lurk and read them.
I cut out part of the quote to save space.

I really liked your story; the descriptions of cooking were simply delightful. I have to say by far my favorite part was when he was thinking:
Quote:
He couldn’t take his eyes from her whilst she ate.
He couldn’t take his eyes from her as she rose to leave and pay her bill.
He couldn’t take his eyes from the door, long after she smiled at him before leaving the restaurant.
Suddenly, going to her apartment for a private dinner didn’t seem like such a safe idea…
That made me laugh.

Anyway, as far as writing style goes, it's one of my favorites. The dialogue/introspection based narrative gives the reader more feeling for the characters (the main character in particular). Anyway, I really liked it, and I don't really have anything bad to say other than the way you divided up the blocks of text was kinda weird. Other than that, no complaints, really. Very nice job.
Old 2009-02-22, 04:00   Link #166
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Review Time! (part 1)

I know, took me forever to sit my ass down and spend a good few hours reading, so I only got 2 pages behind this current one done and have a few more to get through.
But keep them coming!!! A bookworm can never get enough food!
Riight, let's begin~~~

ClockWorkAngel’s “A short Story”
Spoiler:
ClockWorkAngel’s “Under the Moonshine” poem
Spoiler:

Spectacular_Insanity’s “Mystic Emblem, Chapter I: New Beginnings:”
Spoiler for .:

Next is darkfreya’s “Rose” poem.
Spoiler for .:

Arceon’s Short story poem.
Spoiler for .:

Nerroth’s ”Oni”
I presume this one is an ‘original’ piece? I usually critique those only as fanfiction imo can be appreciated when the reader has the reference of the original story it’s from
Anyways, comments:

Spoiler for .:

And finally Rio’s “Garden: Introduction”

Spoiler for .:

Part 1 done!
I'll glance through the others later, pardon the delay to the rest of ya

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 04:20   Link #167
Tri-ring

Although these are already announced fanfics that I wrote couple of years ago, I might dump it here as well to hear your opinion as well.

It is based on "Ah My Goddess" universe and is a trilogy.
I was writing the forth part but things in realday life got hectic and had to postpone it.

Here is part one.
Spoiler for Ritual of Vows:

If interested I will post the other two later.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 04:27   Link #168
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Ooops....

I forget that people would be commenting on my own story that I forgot I posted a while ago.
Quote:
To Mystique
The elaborate expressions and details are very great! It is very awesome when i think the story is fiction. Nice to read stories which are related to a special thing, like cooking. It must be difficult to write.
Thanks. ^^ Umm difficult to write… well since it was about sushi and I’ve made it before I kinda drew from that experience >.>
I guess it would be a little worrying to write about food for a person who was an actual real chef, but as I said in my ‘NB’, since it was purely for fantasy and fun, I don’t think too many of us took it seriously, so I relaxed when I wrote it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I cut out part of the quote to save space.

I really liked your story; the descriptions of cooking were simply delightful. I have to say by far my favorite part was when he was thinking:
Quote:
He couldn’t take his eyes from her whilst she ate.
He couldn’t take his eyes from her as she rose to leave and pay her bill.
He couldn’t take his eyes from the door, long after she smiled at him before leaving the restaurant.
Suddenly, going to her apartment for a private dinner didn’t seem like such a safe idea…
That made me laugh.
You know, the sad thing is, I made myself laugh with this story when I re read it 2 and a half years later, before I decided to share with you guys here
I also made myself cringe at some of the obvious grammatical errors ><;;
- We’re always our own worst critic.

Quote:
Anyway, as far as writing style goes, it's one of my favorites. The dialogue/introspection based narrative gives the reader more feeling for the characters (the main character in particular). Anyway, I really liked it, and I don't really have anything bad to say other than the way you divided up the blocks of text was kinda weird. Other than that, no complaints, really. Very nice job.
I’ll take a re look at my paragraph usage, thanks for pointing it out to me; otherwise alike poems, I tend to use them to separate a scene or if I need to build tension or change the pace then I break up the lines like the example you loved.

But I’m glad you guys enjoyed it and managed to have a chuckle too (bonus there), it’s just to spread a little fun in here once in a while.
There is one more tale from the feisty mistress herself written back in 2006 that I found hidden somewhere on cyberpsace. Give me some time to get through the next set of reviews and stuff and I’ll post again.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 07:18   Link #169
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Nerroth’s ”Oni”
I presume this one is an ‘original’ piece? I usually critique those only as fanfiction imo can be appreciated when the reader has the reference of the original story it’s from
It was written as a snapshot into the history of a character from one of my longer works, Fate/Trans Form - well, said character is also a different take on one introduced in an older series - but when I entered it into the contest originally, the intent was for it to serve as a stand-alone piece.

Quote:
Anyways, comments:

Spoiler for .:
Old 2009-02-27, 18:26   Link #170
kimichan09
Kimiko Ashihara

Send a message via AIM to kimichan09 Send a message via MSN to kimichan09
Hi!

I dont write too much, but I do sometimes. This is a short story thing I did and I made it up after listening to music. Its a story with my OC Eri Meiji and my friend Korten's OCs Alyce Hanon and Roxas Shirayuki.

Its just part 1 though, I havent finished part 2 yet...

Spoiler for Summary:

Spoiler for Part 1:

Created byNabiki Asakura
kimichan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 21:22   Link #171
rio

GARDEN

i 've corrected the mistakes of the part 1 a bit^^;

Spoiler for Introduction:

Spoiler for part1:

Spoiler for after that:

Last edited by rio; 2009-03-02 at 01:56.
rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 23:50   Link #172
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
GARDEN

i 've corrected the mistakes of the part 1 a bit^^;

Spoiler for Introduction:

Spoiler for part1:

Spoiler for after that:
I have to admit that the ending of the second part took me by surprise. That guard had no chance.

Not bad of a piece, especially since English does not seem to be your first language. I could never write a decent story in any of the other languages I sort of know—English is my only strength.

I liked the line where you described Shurihatsum's green eyes and red heart.

Twitter
Old 2009-03-07, 14:39   Link #173
Davy

Hey guys!

Angel In the Night

Under, the night time sky, far beyond the lights,
Please sit down, and look at the stars.
It's the magic of the nature. Can you feel?
It's the song of the angel. Can you hear?
She's singing about love, pain and divorce.
Do you remember, that she hasn't had a choice.
Can you see the tears in her eyes,
When you look at the stars?
Under, the night time sky, far beyond the lights,
Please think of the angel in the night.

It's my first english poem. So, what are you thinking?
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 22:53   Link #174
Nosauz

Here's a little something I just thought of, spoilered for length

Spoiler for The cafe:
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 01:00   Link #175
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Nosauz, the transition between the second and first paragraph was a little tough to decipher at first. Does the second paragraph take place after the first? It's a bit ambiguous. But I really liked the beginning; it really drew me in right away.

Davy, is the angel meant to be symbolic of anything?

Twitter
Old 2009-03-08, 05:12   Link #176
Nosauz

eh I wrote in 10-15minutes was kinda bored wanted to toy with the concept, I guess it failed. My concept was to make the story encompass the feeling of homecoming. So the some of the cues about the memories, sensations, almost haunting the man are quickly juxtaposed. I probably should have thought it out more but I tried to recreate similarities in the two paragraphs emphaisizing the sensations, though the second paragh I guess failed to do that, but the reason why their virtually no transition is because it is the past, but not view as the past by the man, it is the first time the man goes into the cafe. Of course I probably should have story boarded but I just wanted to try out the concept, I really like the idea of homecoming, because for some reason humans like salmon like to return to their "home" per se. Though salmon are porbably at the max level of that. I'll probably visit this thread more often toss out some of ideas I have. But yea I might revisit that story once I actually come up with a better concept for it. Thanks whitepearl
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 06:35   Link #177
Davy

Whitepearl: Not really no. I don't know, why chose the angel.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 17:50   Link #178
endless2010

So my never ending quest for a hobby continues. After recently giving up on drawing I've decided to find a new way to express my creativity. I'm considering creative writing as a possible hobby. There is one problem: I suffer from dyslexia. I can manage it, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it's going to be in creative writing.

So do any of the writers her suffer from dyslexia and if so how do you deal with it? Specially when it comes to proof reading. I'm guessing that would be the #1 problem to a writer with dyslexia.
endless2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 18:56   Link #179
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
eh I wrote in 10-15minutes was kinda bored wanted to toy with the concept, I guess it failed. My concept was to make the story encompass the feeling of homecoming. So the some of the cues about the memories, sensations, almost haunting the man are quickly juxtaposed. I probably should have thought it out more but I tried to recreate similarities in the two paragraphs emphaisizing the sensations, though the second paragh I guess failed to do that, but the reason why their virtually no transition is because it is the past, but not view as the past by the man, it is the first time the man goes into the cafe. Of course I probably should have story boarded but I just wanted to try out the concept, I really like the idea of homecoming, because for some reason humans like salmon like to return to their "home" per se. Though salmon are porbably at the max level of that. I'll probably visit this thread more often toss out some of ideas I have. But yea I might revisit that story once I actually come up with a better concept for it. Thanks whitepearl
Nah, I don't think it was a failure. I really liked it, actually. I like the approach you took to introduce the characters and I could tell that the protagonist and Amanda have some sort of relationship (she knows what he wants when he walks in and he already knew to pay right away) that has potential to blossom further. I was just curious about the second paragraph's relation to the first because it seemed odd to me when I first read it. I was thinking one of the paragraphs was a flashback.

So the first and second paragraphs are different points of view, then?

Don't abandon this piece. It could become a nice short story.

Twitter
Old 2009-03-11, 14:05   Link #180
Langknow

Hi,

I love reading and watching fantasy anime, so I decided to write a bit about it, here's a prologue to my story.

Spoiler for Rainbow Heart: Prologue:

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
literature, writing