Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-03-10, 13:07   Link #1
Snider
Banned

How to improve my cg?

People keep calling my cg crap ._.
I did several training practices using other person's drawings, this was my last attempts:

Spoiler for Size/Nudity:

Can u give me some hints to improve my crappy cg? .___,
Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 13:41   Link #2
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Describe "cg crap" please.
Old 2009-03-10, 14:05   Link #3
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider View Post
People keep calling my cg crap ._.
I did several training practices using other person's drawings, this was my last attempts:

Spoiler for Size/Nudity:

Can u give me some hints to improve my crappy cg? .___,
I do not think it could be called a crappy cg. It is not THAT bad. I've seen a lot worse. It's quite good actually while, of course, also not the best. To me, it looks like those people are exceedingly negative while commenting on your works.

Once again, that does not mean "ur cg r teh b3stzord!!1! \(;˚Д˚)/" but I believe you have a potential for improvement.

I can't give you any exact hints, but I believe some people will surely help you with your flaws soon enough.
Old 2009-03-10, 14:15   Link #4
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It's not "crap", but it isn't excellent either.

The first thing I notice when I look at it is how flat your shading is, especially with the skin. For example, with your first one, the shadow under the hands of the person on the left would naturally be darker, unless the lighting conditions were REALLY unnatural [as in, white surfaces everywhere and light being reflected everywhere]. The bodies look flat as well.

Study how people paint. As far as I know, that should help a lot. In fact, I can think of a lot of similarities between paintings and CG.
I don't make CG though. These are just observations.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 14:15   Link #5
Snider
Banned

Hmm...i dont spend much time doing cgs anyways, the first example i made in 1 hour...(personally i dont like how i've done the skin with 3d look, thats my way of doing it quickly)
i hate spending much time doing such things because i dont win nothing with them (except the "thats crap" comments)...

But i guess since my cg sucks could you give me example of good cg made by amateurs?
Old 2009-03-10, 14:22   Link #6
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

If you hate spending time doing them, you'll find it painful trying to get better. In the beginning, if your motivation is to win competitions or something with your art work, you'll struggle because you'll see it as a chore to get to somewhere instead of something you genuinely want to improve in. Plus, the more time you spend practicing, the better you get.

But I guess the motivation doesn't matter. What matters is that we help.

I don't know much about finding good CG by amateurs, but Deviantart, the most well-known option, has some nice stuff if you look.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 14:25   Link #7
Snider
Banned

Arghh., i hate deviantart, they banned me because i didnt own the drawings...bleh, screw deviantart...
Btw i made the first example because someone requested me so my motivation wasnt that big...
Old 2009-03-10, 14:58   Link #8
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Hmm...i dont spend much time doing cgs anyways, the first example i made in 1 hour...(personally i dont like how i've done the skin with 3d look, thats my way of doing it quickly)
i hate spending much time doing such things because i dont win nothing with them (except the "thats crap" comments)...
If you don't want to take your time with your CGs, why make them at all? You can't expect good results without putting some effort into them.

Nothing comes for free, you know. Being an artist is a work of passion; work, where you put all your knowledge, emotions and effort into your very own masterpieces. Where you keep going until you're absolutely satisfied with your results, until you're proud of it. Art is a challenge...a beautiful challenge.

So, keeping things short, all I want to say is...Take your time with the CGs, enjoy making them and I'm sure you'll improve greatly. In due time.
Old 2009-03-10, 15:17   Link #9
Snider
Banned

Hey if i said to you: you have to build a 500m fence, paint it and make it shine yet you wont win nothing with it but community recognition. Would you ever do it?
Why the heck i would spend hours and hours in useless things just for the sake of others (that at the end even stab and laugh on your back)? I'm not like that anymore, that was when i was young and dumb
Old 2009-03-10, 15:37   Link #10
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Hey if i said to you: you have to build a 500m fence, paint it and make it shine yet you wont win nothing with it but community recognition. Would you ever do it?
Why the heck i would spend hours and hours in useless things just for the sake of others (that at the end even stab and laugh on your back)? I'm not like that anymore, that was when i was young and dumb
Ookay...

This will probably sound a bit harsh but why on earth you keep making them if that's your motivation. If you really would want to improve your ultimate goal should be the piece itself, not the praise of others.

Ars gratia artis. We all sometimes forget the wisdom hidden in those words. Many of the truly great artists in history were never recognized during their lifetime. Sucks - yes but that's often how things just work. And honestly...

"Didn't put the effort in since it was a request and I wasn't motivated. Why I'm not praised for the result?"
Isn't the outcome actually quite obvious. Your works aren't bad, especially if they're half-assed but you ask how can I improve and when the answer is the only one there is you come up with this answer...

Good luck.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 15:40   Link #11
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Have to? I thought you voluntarily made those pics.

Or did anyone force you to make them? If you don't like to do it, don't.
Quote:
Then let me ask a question. Why did you post this thread in the first place? What was the reason then? Why do you want to improve your CGs? You said people call them crappy. In that case, you must care for their opinion, don't you? That would mean your strive for improvement just to hear some positive comments for a change, right? I find that to be a good enough reason to put some more effort into it.

Not a single reply here will miraculously help you with your drawings. Not as drastically as if you would try your best. And I believe you already know that without me telling you.

I find it sad, if your attitude is like that. You obviously do have a talent. You could make nice draws. Yet you refuse to do so. What would I give to have such patience and an eye for realistic shading...I am one of those, that just can't imagine where the shadows should be.

Quote:
I dont make drawings o_o

Again, i don't make drawings, i only paint them...
Oh, sorry for the typo. XD
Coloring, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Amen to that!

Last edited by Larthak; 2009-03-10 at 16:58.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 16:11   Link #12
Snider
Banned

Quote:
Not a single reply here will miraculously help you with your drawings.
I dont make drawings o_o

Quote:
You could make nice draws.
Again, i don't make drawings, i only paint them...

Quote:
I am one of those, that just can't imagine where the shadows should be.
I know exactly where shadows go, sometimes i simple don't know how to make them look what i want or too bored to put them all...

Nobody forced me to do those things, some i made because i was bored others simply because i was asked to (which soon realized to be a mistake because such ppl deserved nothing but a punch from me).

Yes, you right this thread was a bit stupid, i guess my goal wasn't to improve my cg if i dont have any use to it.

The 2nd example i gave in the first post is complete, i made it into a nice wallpaper, i never shared it to web because i didn't have any reason to...
Guess any future cg made by me will be for my personal appraisal only, guess the only purpose i could ever find in such thing...
Old 2009-03-10, 16:28   Link #13
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Yes, you right this thread was a bit stupid, i guess my goal wasn't to improve my cg if i dont have any use to it.

The 2nd example i gave in the first post is complete, i made it into a nice wallpaper, i never shared it to web because i didn't have any reason to...
Guess any future cg made by me will be for my personal appraisal only, guess the only purpose i could ever find in such thing...
Art, any art is generosity in one way or the other but even more than that it's a form of self-indulgence.

If you can't find the some joy in idea that your work has the potential of making someone's day even if they don't report in on it. Then it's maybe better that you don't publish anything. You'll just probably end up disappointed.

It's actually not that hard spotting an inspired piece when you see one but that road goes the other way as well. We all have our goals what it comes to art and if we're serious about it we definitely will build the 500m fence, paint it and make it shine if it brings us a step closer to that goal.

I for one get huge pleasure out of completing something that I know I did my best on. If others don't recognize the effort, shame on them for not knowing a good thing when they see one.

I believe most of us do our own forms of art just solely for the reason that we just can't not to do it. Occasional pats on the back are just a bonus and some constructive criticism is even bigger bonus. Yet ultimately we do it for ourselves not for others.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 13:57   Link #14
MisterJB
Warden of the West

I can't believe you created a thread because of this, dude.
You really shouldn't take things so seriously
Old 2009-03-12, 01:23   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It would really depend on what do you eventually want your drawing to be CGed like. There are many style to use, and from here on out, it's for you to choose which kind you want.

I guess you would want just the typical style hum? add a bit of hair effects here, a bit of skin coloring here, there. Well... for me I rather like the saying "monkey see, monkey do." (All I do is watch speed paint or coloring/cging tutorials on different video streaming sites like youtube, and visual tutorials on deviantart and suches too ^^)

It's best to view other artist, and take the style you like and use it and expand from theirs, since to totally create your own style is rather tough. A great way to improve is simply compare your older CGing to your newer ones.

Do the comparison and see what you have improved on and what you wish to improve on more. Usually getting different skin tones, like minor color difference are some of the hardest to achieve, but those are what makes the coloring all the better.

From what I can see from yours. You already got base colors down for the skintone, the hair and the eyes done. All you have to either do now is ask yourself, are you satisfied with that or you want to improve more. Right now, your coloring of your skin is monochromatic, and it lacks shadowing. I can see you attempted to add a bit of darker coloring to create the shadows, but I feel the shadow is more subliminal than anything else.

If you wish, you can add more detail to the hair. Like loose hairs that are a few pixel thick to represent a more realistic feeling to it. Adding shadows to the hair gives it volume and texture, since atm, it looks just flat with a mono color tone.

Work on those and you should be good :P

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote