Kafriel
Senior Guest

Minato only appears to use the awesome one-liner "I'm your FATHER!"
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:45   Link #122
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnos007 View Post
Ummm since when is Kyuubi up for general conversation??? When has he ever gone "Naruto come here and lets have a chat" and better yet WHY would he explain something like that??? How does he know why his chakra was split? He didnt do it - Minato did.
Naruto willingly went to the Seal chamber and sought the Kyuubi. It would have been just as easy to have Naruto start to remove the seal, only to be forced to stop by another seal activating, And instead of a Minato clone popping up, the Kyuubi could simply shout in rage, and briefly explain that its chakra had been split (why wouldn't the Kyuubi know that its chakra was split?). Et cetera, et cetera. Minato need not appear as the fail safe at all, there are perfectly valid other means of providing simple information (ala Naruto's heritage, the Kyuubi's chakra, Madara, etc).

That is why, I have specifically said (many times) that I hope Minato provides some key information that the other known characters could not have provided. Otherwise...Minato's appearance seems fairly pointless (outside of dramatic effect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnos007 View Post
and no because that is the source of the seal its the only way unless there was a seal to protect that seal, but that would probably have been too difficult to do and know it would work first time... Every other seal in this manga has been designed in the way that to remove a seal that is in the form of a piece of paper is to remove it physically... think back to that 5 way seal that akatsuki at their hide out after they took gaara... and even that thing manifested something physical upon touching/removing it. The seal that Jiraiya designed for kakashi to use on naruto when he goes kyuubi
I'm sorry; I have no idea what you are talking about. Yes paper seals exist...so what does that have to do with the conversation at hand? Are you disproving my point? Proving it?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:50   Link #123
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Why talk to the Kyuubi? Being nearly complete, it has to do everything in its hand to convince Naruto to let go, Minato's intervention might make him reconsider but foxes are cunning and it could dish out all sorts of well made-up stories
About the chakra splitting, it could or could not know, but it can definitely speculate on the matter.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:58   Link #124
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Why talk to the Kyuubi? Being nearly complete, it has to do everything in its hand to convince Naruto to let go, Minato's intervention might make him reconsider but foxes are cunning and it could dish out all sorts of well made-up stories
About the chakra splitting, it could or could not know, but it can definitely speculate on the matter.
Out of eveyone that existed before Minato suddenly appeared, the Kyuubi (and potentially Madara) would have been the only ones to have been able to describe why the chakra was split; what purpose it served; whether or not the chakra could have ever been re-merged; etc. This has been remarked upon several times in other threads over the year plus since we learned of the split, and, until Minato appeared, was generally considered to be the only way to know for sure why the split happened (unless a currently unknown character could shed light on the matter (i.e. Kushina, etc)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
I think that such a "return" is the best and also the less superficial. He is revealing the truth and also helping his son who happens to be the destined child. There's no other meaningful way to return.
I would generally agree with your assessment. But, then again, if Kakashi can meet up with his old man by simply (almost) dying, then why couldn't Naruto do the same thing? Or, better yet, a meeting could occur because of something to do with the Shinigami or Edo Tensei (honestly, having Naruto physically defeat Minato would have been almost as interesting as having Naruto symbolically defeat Minato (he would symbolically defeat Minato by accomplishing what Minato could not (i.e. defeat the Kyuubi, and live )).
Old 2009-03-12, 02:02   Link #125
Spicy~Noodles
It's been a while....

I just hope no one else is going to claim that this is bad writing. This is getting hopeless. Kishimoto's idea of sending out Minato to protect Naruto is quite brilliant in my opinion. Of course there are always other ways to prevent Naruto from opening the deal. It's like saying "Making pepsi is a useless idea, because coca-cola tastes nearly the same."

But the way the prevention happened was brilliant.

"Pepsi's idea of marketing Britney Spears made me think highly of Pepsi, so I prefer Pepsi over Coca-Cola. Even though the Coca-Cola polar bear does exist."

The final question remains, as useless as it is, "Can't we just accept it?"
Spicy~Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 02:17   Link #126
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy~Noodles View Post
I just hope no one else is going to claim that this is bad writing. This is getting hopeless. Kishimoto's idea of sending out Minato to protect Naruto is quite brilliant in my opinion. Of course there are always other ways to prevent Naruto from opening the deal. It's like saying "Making pepsi is a useless idea, because coca-cola tastes nearly the same."

But the way the prevention happened was brilliant.

"Pepsi's idea of marketing Britney Spears made me think highly of Pepsi, so I prefer Pepsi over Coca-Cola. Even though the Coca-Cola polar bear does exist."
Your analogy is a little off. Instead of saying "Making pepsi is a useless idea, because coca-cola tastes nearly the same", the proper analogy should be "Making a new cola product is pointless because there are already so many different colas sold for cheap on the market." Should Minato really be the fount of knowledge when, if his information is not too personal/unknown, there are other sources that could have explained it just as well?

Again, it is not Minato appearing that is a problem, it is whether he is beneficial to the plot or not. That is the true question that I sincerely hope is addressed next chapter (since I doubt it will be addressed in this chapter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy~Noodles View Post
The final question remains, as useless as it is, "Can't we just accept it?"
Honestly, it should never be about simply accepting what you are being told/shown in a story. Kishimoto is just as human as the rest of us, and his story can have bumps in the road just like any other. It is only by analyzing, deciphering, interpreting, and critiquing the story that we can see where Kishimoto succeeds/triumphs and the few times that he fails (consequently, we can enjoy the triumphs that much more by understanding exactly how they fit into the entire story).
Old 2009-03-12, 02:19   Link #127
bozan

@james

I think there are a lot of ways to explain why Minato would appear. If you look at it from the writer's perspective (as it seems you are), Minato is the only person who truly knows what his own intentions were in sealing the Kyuubi into Naruto. He's the only one that could really explain to Naruto what he's about to do now, even if it's just to tell him to not let out the fox. There's a lot of mystery behind Yondaime and we know nothing about what he knew or what he was trying to do, so having him appear here is the only way for us (the reader) to ever truly know what he was trying to accomplish. No one else can do this because NO ONE else knows what his true intentions were. Kishi made it so that Yondaime didn't tell anyone, so his only way to reveal to us what Yondaime intended to do was to have Yondaime tell us himself.

I've said this before, but I don't think we should rush to question why he's showing up when technically he hasn't even arrived yet. When this chapter is released, he'll JUST have arrived. He's only going to say a couple lines in this episode, but I'm positive he'll say more in the next. Questioning why he's showing up now is like questioning why Sasuke exists when we first learn about him in the first episodes. Wait until we find out more and question it afterwards, but not at the beginning.
bozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 02:29   Link #128
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozan View Post
I've said this before, but I don't think we should rush to question why he's showing up when technically he hasn't even arrived yet. When this chapter is released, he'll JUST have arrived. He's only going to say a couple lines in this episode, but I'm positive he'll say more in the next. Questioning why he's showing up now is like questioning why Sasuke exists when we first learn about him in the first episodes. Wait until we find out more and question it afterwards, but not at the beginning.
Fair enough. I am approaching this recent twist with a little trepidation, but I do secretly hope for something amazing.

That being said, the cliché "Secret Diary" could have always existed and explained everything, and, of course, Kushina could be alive to explain Minato's thoughts and desires. Et cetera.

(Added to that, Sasuke's role in the story was almost completely known (or at least his basic characteristics) since his first appearance . He was the rival that became so much more.)

Last edited by james0246; 2009-03-12 at 02:55.
Old 2009-03-12, 02:46   Link #129
bozan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(Added to that, Sasuke's role in the story was almost completely known (or at least his basic characteristics) since his first appearance. He was the rival that became so much more.)
Haha ok, well change it from Sasuke to Choji then . Or anyone where it wasn't immediately obvious what role they would have until later.

The alternatives you mentioned are plausible, but so is Minato existing in spirit form for several minutes inside Naruto. I don't really see those alternatives as being any better than the current one.

But enough of this. Personally, I think the more interesting question is whether Minato knew about Madara, why he would decide to put the fox inside Naruto if he did, and what he was hoping would eventually happen. I'm still completely confused about this, even after reading chapter 370 4-5 times.
bozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 02:55   Link #130
ShadowAssasin
Banned

I understand what james is saying; but I believe the author will pull this off. From what I've read thus far, I just don't see Minato simply appearing, explaining why naruto shouldn't release the seal, and fading off the screen in a cheap 1980s smoke effect. I think the reasoning behind Minato's appearance will be satisfactory, at the very least. This manga has been a very enjoyable read; I don't think the author has done anything "horrible" enough not to deserve the benefit of the doubt. With that said, I am hoping for something epic. Minato's appearance alone, under the current circumstances just about demands it - I'm sure he didn't have Minato appear for something as trivial as how to maintain/take care of your pet kyuubi.
ShadowAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 02:58   Link #131
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssasin View Post
I understand what james is saying; but I believe the author will pull this off. From what I've read thus far, I just don't see Minato simply appearing, explaining why naruto shouldn't release the seal, and fading off the screen in a cheap 1980s smoke effect. I think the reasoning behind Minato's appearance will be satisfactory, at the very least. This manga has been a very enjoyable read; I don't think the author has done anything "horrible" enough not to deserve the benefit of the doubt.
I don't know, did you see Konohamaru's Rasengan or Hinata's confession .

Joking aside, I completely agree. I am more than willing to see how this plays out before I make any firm judgment/critique one way or another. Here's hoping for the best.
Old 2009-03-12, 05:46   Link #132
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku

It looks to me like Minato rams Naruto in one of the pics.

Does anyone think there'll be a fight to "show me how strong you've become" just like the bell test that opened the Shippuuden series.
Old 2009-03-12, 06:09   Link #133
Viron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic01 View Post
It looks to me like Minato rams Naruto in one of the pics.

Does anyone think there'll be a fight to "show me how strong you've become" just like the bell test that opened the Shippuuden series.
I think this is just quick way to say: "Let the seal where it is!"
Viron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 06:25   Link #134
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Yeah Yondaime, that cool......but does Naruto's Kyuubi form have flesh now?!!?
FireDetei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 07:23   Link #135
7runks
SSJ7
*IT Support

Something tells me once all the talking between Naruto and his father is done. Naruto will regain his conciousness and will:

Use his last shadow clone.
Transform into something else.
Unveil a new jutsu.
7runks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 07:48   Link #136
Pentium
Uchiha

omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!! Read the first two pages of this topic and it sounds oh so oh so gooooooood! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! Apologise for my behaviour but OMG! If this chapter is anything like the spoilers THEN YES YES YES!!!!

Quote by Cub-Sama: Say that to Raikage who's awesomeness can only be compared to what would happen if Samuel L MOTHERF*CKING Jackson and Mr. T had a child who was raised by Rambo. Even with Sage Mode I think Raikage can b*tch slap Naruto into next week.
Pentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 07:51   Link #137
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

But but! What about Hinata?! DAMN IT!
Old 2009-03-12, 08:01   Link #138
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!! Read the first two pages of this topic and it sounds oh so oh so gooooooood! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! Apologise for my behaviour but OMG! If this chapter is anything like the spoilers THEN YES YES YES!!!!
Hahaha dont worry, we can hear ya . Like 95% of the Naruto readers are doing prettymuch the same as you just did lol.

But yea, like allways...there are some people who does not like this....not like that. mean, "somehow"(We are going to find out how) 4th "naruto's father" appeared when Naruto tried to pull of the last seal. I mean, who espected that? Thats just amazing, Kishi did it again .

Still people are saying does not make sense. We only saw a few shots of the spoiler. So we dont know anything about how he appeared, and how things are going to be. This all is going to be showed in the next few manga's, so for those who like to thow sh!t at kishi. Relax a bit , and wait untill you have seen it all.

And about the "Kishi is a bad writer", dont read anymore than. Go write your own story , kishi writes this manga for the people who loves it....not for the one who hates it.
Old 2009-03-12, 08:52   Link #139
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
But but! What about Hinata?! DAMN IT!
sorry... who?
Old 2009-03-12, 08:53   Link #140
Clixx
Just another person...

Send a message via MSN to Clixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
Did you just Climax? o.O

Oh wait, so did I

BUT WUT ABOOT HINATA YO!?
Clixx is offline   Reply With Quote