AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 08:37   Link #41
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Try reading my later post on top of this page.

This event is to see if people are aware and ready to change for the better before Global Warming hits.

Its like a petition, to the world, the governments that they want to cut greenhouse emissions and save energy.

If the world response is outstanding, governments may fund more into green energy research, which the world is terribly lacking.
You would have to have been living under a rock for the last 20 years to not have heard anything about our impending doom due to global warming (prior to that it was our impending doom due to global cooling, which I always though was scarier by far).
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:37   Link #42
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
As someone who watched the entire Gundam series, has watched alot of mecha, is watching Sorakake now, I know that very well lol

I personally have no problems with the outcome if humans themselves asks for it.

But I know even on this forum, there's someone who would start go nuts and start relating us to Hitler and stuff.
Hitler can only wish for such kind of destruction. No, such things will not come even from killer bacteria/viruses. It'll come from the planet itself.
Old 2009-03-29, 08:41   Link #43
Desiree Disaster
Keiichi Fangirl ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad wolf View Post
I didn't do it, cuz i'm an evil goddless liberal who's going to hell.>: D plus I forgot and am to addicted to my compy and tv to have been able to survive it.
Sadly, I'm with Bad Wolf... I reckon most people are.

I was too addicted to eBay to even remember Earth Hour. It wasn't until today when everyone told me...

"This disaster cannot be avoided... I'm sorry..."
Desiree Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:44   Link #44
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, yeah. But, we know essentially nothing about mass extinctions. Fossil records are incomplete at best.
How else do you explain the sudden disapperance of Dinosaur ?

Anyway, here's hoping that the Oil Tap runs dry in about a 100 year or so, just so that the Mankind will become more eviromental friendly as 90% of the problem stems from the Black Gold since human becomes addicted to it at the start of last century.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:45   Link #45
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I don't understand what you seem angry about C.A. The truth about this event is that it will have no real effect in the long run. The people who already wished to do something about global warming either A. didn't care about this event because it was set up so it wouldn't do much in their opinion. B. turned off their lights and refused to really spread the idea of global warming they just... turned off their lights (not that it wasn't cool) C. turned off their lights and tried to spread the idea of stopping global warming (though they could have spread the idea without the whole turning off your lights I guess it felt like a good gesture.) or D. never even heard of it since it wasn't publicized well enough, not because they were ignorant. Accusing people who didn't turn off their lights as being ignorant or selfish is just that ignorant and selfish.

As for me read my previous post. I just role that way. Prove that my action was either ignorant or selfish.
Firstly I've also added that besides ignorant or selfish, there's a whole bunch of other responses that people may carry.

But people don't get the point of this event, which is not to save energy or make one feel proud that they've joined this 'publicity event'.

The point is to let the world know of a consensus, whether people want to save the world or leave it as it is. Last year was a few hundred million, this year they're going for 1 billion, they want to know if people have realised the effects of Global Warming and whether they want to change anything.

The world cannot be saved just by scientists who come up with solutions, its the world's population that must apply and stick to the solutions, in order to do a significant change.

To switch off a light is to vote, to get more people to do the same next year so that more people will join in and save the world. To think otherwise it shows that you may be ignorant among other reasons, ignorant because you think this stunt can't do much for the world, but in actual fact everything starts with a tiny first step.

Personally I think the only real solution to save the world is to colonise space, I don't even think that Green Energy could do much to the world.

In a few decades the world may experience either of these besides Global Warming: super eruption, magnetic pole reversal, super solar flare etc. Even if humans survive this they still need to get out of the planet when the Sun goes red giant.

I don't care about the numbers of the human population, I only care that the universe has intelligent life. The Earth can get as many mass extinctions, but if humans are wiped out and there's really no intelligent life other that humans, it would be a pity.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:45   Link #46
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
How else do you explain the sudden disapperance of Dinosaur ?
We know that such extinctions exist. The kicker is that we can only speculate WHY and HOW they happened.

As for going the Sun going Red Giant, mankind will have to live through several more mass extinctions before we get to that point in time.
Old 2009-03-29, 08:49   Link #47
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

It is unlikely that humans will be killed off the planet by global warming, but it is still a problem. Even if we cut off most carbon emission now, it is unlikely to stop global warming. Still, great solutions are being thought up by scientists from wave energy, to pollution eating algae, new air purifying ideas, nuclear/solar/hydro energy, possible superconducting carbon wires, to advanced water purifying ideas. We can have a clean earth. The problem is funding and state support not only from America but even more so from China and India.

On China and India does anyone know if they did the Earth hour? I haven't heard anything on these two countries doing anything and was wondering if they participated.

Edit: I guess I see what you are saying now C.A. The earth hour was to raise awareness, I just fail to see it having any effect at all other than to boost the ego of a few corporations that participated to make them sound "Environment Friendly". lol at the red giant sun though that was awesome.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:02   Link #48
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I'm pretty sure both China and India joined Earth Hour.

If i'm not wrong, the only two countries in G20 didn't join is Saudi Arab and (surprisingly) Japan. Heard it somewhere but not entirely sure at this

I didn't turn off the light, but i joined Earth Hour in my own way =]
Old 2009-03-29, 13:56   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The major cities in China and India participated.... a lot of the two countries participate by default every night when the sun goes down in rural areas.
Old 2009-03-29, 14:04   Link #50
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Try reading my later post on top of this page.

This event is to see if people are aware and ready to change for the better before Global Warming hits.

Its like a petition, to the world, the governments that they want to cut greenhouse emissions and save energy.

If the world response is outstanding, governments may fund more into green energy research, which the world is terribly lacking.
1 hour in darkness does not pare to the mass of exhaustion fumes coming from factories in lands like China and the US and many more, if people really want to do something about the environment then spending an hour in darkness wont cut it even if it is just to make you "aware" of the problem, because anyone who has turned off their lights for an hour continue doing what they do without actually changing their way to benefit to the environment, this is why I think it is kind of BS because it is to me one of those "ooh I did a good deed for today, I can check that off my list and continue whatever wasteful life I was leading in the first place"

I don't think the people who hadn't done this are ignorant or bad people, nor that they don't care about the environment, I'd rather see more people recycle every day than sit at home int he dark for an hour a year
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 14:10   Link #51
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
1 hour in darkness does not pare to the mass of exhaustion fumes coming from factories in lands like China and the US and many more, if people really want to do something about the environment then spending an hour in darkness wont cut it even if it is just to make you "aware" of the problem, because anyone who has turned off their lights for an hour continue doing what they do without actually changing their way to benefit to the environment, this is why I think it is kind of BS because it is to me one of those "ooh I did a good deed for today, I can check that off my list and continue whatever wasteful life I was leading in the first place"

I don't think the people who hadn't done this are ignorant or bad people, nor that they don't care about the environment, I'd rather see more people recycle every day than sit at home int he dark for an hour a year
I guess you haven't got the point yet.

And yes of course we want to see more people recycling. How do you do that?

You start by raising awareness, getting more people to know about Global Warming, getting more people to know what is happening to Earth. This is what Earth Hour is about.

How many times must I repeat, this 1 hour is not for saving energy itself, its to get more people to realise that they have to start saving energy. Maybe you've not read my later posts.

Old 2009-03-29, 14:20   Link #52
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

People are aware of global warming, you hear it on TV, on the radio, read about it
anyone who watches even a bit of television or even the news know about it but they don't care, Dutch government most likely heard about it and last year Australia was on the news because of it but much like children starving in Africa you see it on TV and then continue eating your diner humanity is simply stupid and will only realise this when it is too late rather than actually start doing something about it after taking part of this blackout.
Switching off your light is not to vote, it is merely admitting to what you're being told, like I said most of the people simply do this and afterwards waste just as much energy etc. (they are aware but they don't care even after participating) as usual so pretty much partly it works but it I believe it has become more of an event rather than people taking measures that last for a long period of time.
This reminds me of Al Gore and all his speeches ont his topic and how animals are in danger before giving a party in which the buffet contained some of the rarest fish kinds in the world
Old 2009-03-29, 14:37   Link #53
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, the point is indeed to see how many people is aware.

Each year they reach other to more, so that more people next year will be aware, and then they increase again the next year.

And even if not everyone who participated will start saving energy, but we can be sure more will do something to save.

It is a form of peer pressure if its not teaching people what to do. Governments and populations will recognise that the world sees a point in saving the world, cutting greenhouse emissions and such.

Do you think just TV advertisements and stuff will do something? This event itself already showed that even when they advertised, people still don't know about this event, and I've already seen its advertisements for more than a month. And even if they knew, they aren't doing anything, its just like Global Warming itself. They can't even be bothered to switch off a couple of lights for 1 hour.

Why can't people just stop thinking about stuff like 'others won't be doing this, it would be pointless' and instead just do it? 'I believe this, I believe that', why don't you just do it?

The whole point of this is not to cause an instantaneous change, its not to suddenly make people aware, suddenly make people conscious of what they're doing. Its to add another tiny bit to help more of the world realise that they have to start doing something.

Old 2009-03-29, 14:53   Link #54
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

I fail to see how it makes people concious of what they're doing, it doesn't really change anything that's why the next morning all those offices will get back to work with perhaps in the back of their minds the faint echo that the environment might need improving but instead people go back to what they always do. Hasn't this happened loads of times before, like the Dance for Life stuff, World Aids day etc. etc. it makes people aware yes but not in the way that it should be so that change can actually happen and that it actually benefits society and the environment. If the people here would do it alright, I would probably join in but as many it wouldn't be because of this whole global warning that's going on but because people would probably look at you as if you are bound to go to hell or something, the main reason why I wouldn't participate would be because it doesn't make one hell of a difference if you participate or not because in the end nothing will be changed, the government will not be influenced by this event because they know of global warning (the world isn't stupid they are aware) but there is no money, no method and above that the elite who says no to all of this because then their finances might as well be thrown to the junkyard (if it wasn't for oil companies we would've had solar powered cars already, why do you think it is forbidden to use cheaper and less polluting oil because the oil companies don't want you to cause you're avoiding their product and you get a nice fine for doing so). Overall I think it is a nice event, you can go outside have a picnic and overlook the dark city but other than that it is pretty much a useless event when it comes to actual change, does it make people aware? Yes it does but it doesn't bring people to taking actual action in improving the environment and that is what the world actually needs instead of some good deed well done cookie event
Old 2009-03-29, 15:30   Link #55
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'll stop after this post, partly because I don't know how to get the point across to you, and also because reading your bulk post is incredible tedious, which is quite surprising seeing you label yourself as an author.

When you want to move something big, you start out small.

Like I said this event purpose is not to do an instantaneous change, its to raise awareness. Advertisements got people to be aware, but is more people getting more aware? Why not we do a simple event that can raise awareness some more?

You think the world is aware, but how aware is it, how many are willing to something? This event shows that while there's alot willing to do something and show that they're aware, there's alot more who don't bother or is not aware.

I'm someone who knows small steps will eventually lead to something big. But I'll stop arguing with you here.

Old 2009-03-29, 15:57   Link #56
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Well at least we all are aware now that it is a small step....
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:00   Link #57
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

*coughs* me responding like this has NOTHING to do with me being an author and frankly that is quite offending because posting here on Asuki while being one doesn't mean that everything you type out has to be in that category of writing >.>;

secondly if you really want to start changing things then first read up on how the world actually works instead of thinking that it might change over a certain course of time, if people would actually care about changing the environment then it the situation would've been changed already.

Thank you and have a nice evening
Old 2009-03-29, 16:21   Link #58
Zippicus

Quote:
I'll stop after this post, partly because I don't know how to get the point across to you, and also because reading your bulk post is incredible tedious, which is quite surprising seeing you label yourself as an author.

When you want to move something big, you start out small.

Like I said this event purpose is not to do an instantaneous change, its to raise awareness. Advertisements got people to be aware, but is more people getting more aware? Why not we do a simple event that can raise awareness some more?

You think the world is aware, but how aware is it, how many are willing to something? This event shows that while there's alot willing to do something and show that they're aware, there's alot more who don't bother or is not aware.

I'm someone who knows small steps will eventually lead to something big. But I'll stop arguing with you here.
Like I said before, you would have to be living under a rock to not be aware of the global warming alarmism. Doing some silly symbolic gesture to make people more aware is just pointless. Maybe if it would have been plant a tree day or something that you know actually had some sort of impact the response might have been better.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:38   Link #59
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Like I said before, you would have to be living under a rock to not be aware of the global warming alarmism. Doing some silly symbolic gesture to make people more aware is just pointless. Maybe if it would have been plant a tree day or something that you know actually had some sort of impact the response might have been better.
Let's just say that I'm too aware and that you guys think you're aware but is actually not aware enough.

And also, its the kind of thinking, 'Its pointless, it won't do anything', that stops things from happening.

Which do you think would get more people to participate?

1. Switch off your lights for 1 hour.
2. Plant a tree outside your home today.
3. Use only 1 piece of toilet paper for today.

The target is to get a number of people to do something and feel they've been part of something that will raise awareness. Can you get 1 billion people to plant trees? Would 1 billion people gather all over the world and spend time planting trees now? Most likely not.

But now that we know that 1 billion people can switch off their lights, maybe next year we can have an Earth day event, 100 million people to plant trees.

This is only the 3rd year of Earth Day events, they need to start getting people to know about Earth Day in order to get people to do something on Earth Day. I bet most people don't even know that Earth day has been around for like 4 decades.

Old 2009-03-29, 16:47   Link #60
Cinocard

However that fact itself is a proof that it has been widely recognized since then. And that recognition will only spread more and more. If we can turn it into a day like Valentine day in 100 years, it will be a glorious success of mankind.

If things go on like this, in the next 50 years we can cut off 0,1% of energy consumed each year just by doing this, which is huge. And if they can further decrease pollution from vehicles and secondary economic factories. Wasteful consumers lifestyle will become the major cause of pollution, which may tenfold, if not even more that 0,1 number.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote