AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-09-27, 05:11   Link #81
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well you weren't a mod back then so it could have easily slipped beneath your notice. GHDpro, xris and I were very concerned with the matter.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 11:58   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I suppose it is not impossible that we would eventually surrender to a desire for discussing LA just as we did about Games, but there is one big difference between the situations now and then. Back then we were comparatively small with only a few distinct forums. Heck, we didn't have individual series discussions, a separate Unaired Forum, Suggestions Forum or many of the other discussion forums that we have today. Back then we had a lot of room for growth. Small forums like to grow. Now we are so humongous that growth is not desirable. We'd have to be convinced that this new growth is truly advantageous to our future.
^ Interesting statement you have there...
Are you saying that you are reluctant to do any sort of, let's say closing/merging/re-locating operations on what are forums on the board?
Are they really that special!? or important

In my eyes, what is the forum-home complex is nothing but a thread of the AnimeSuki main site. Categories are threads, with Forums as threads inside it... Threads/sub-Forums in forums are threads inside that... Topics are threads inside Threads or sub-Forums... Posts are threads inside Topics... Replies are threads inside Posts... Ideas are threads inside Replies etc etc

As far as I'm concern the level of possible separation is always the same regardless of your intent or the current level of order. It's not like people are going to get any less smarter if you don't create a section, or any smarter should you do. This is really nothing more then a style issue, or at least that's how it sounds like you're making it. (I'm not saying it's not a fair argument against it)
Old 2007-09-27, 16:46   Link #83
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

We've recently reorganized the threads and forums on our board as you are aware. That is rather different from creating a forum to venture into a new field. My examples of our growth were only intended to show how we've had to add more forums just to organize our threads into more distinct categories as a result of so much discussion.

Please don't try to distract the discussion through such semantics. My point remains that we are large and don't need to become even larger by encouraging discussion of live action which might eventually get subdivided into separate forums for TV series and movies or subbbed and unsubbed. And what about Japanese movies adapted into English movies like the Ringu and Battle Royale? That deserves at least a single thread, right? Then there is the question about why dorama subbers prefer srt files and do crappy encoding while anime subbers prefer to encode the video and subtitles together and try to make smaller video files. Should Chinese, Korean and Japanese dramas get separate forums? Will we allow/encourage PVs or AVs?

Sure, it is quite possible that our live action forum would never become popular enough to cause us to expand or reorganize it. But why not leave such things in the hands of forums that specialize in the subject? Why should this be part of AnimeSuki? If you can tell me why our forum should have such a forum then you'd be saying something worthwhile. Why shouldn't we direct people interested in the topic to HongFire and D-Addicts?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 09:48   Link #84
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Well, because there is a possibility (though very small) that ppl who want LA forum will just start new threads and\or chat at the existing ones, and number of these cases will grow, and when you at last decide to create LA subsection youll have to reorganize all this mess of threads?
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 12:37   Link #85
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Irwin, think of it this way: In forums like Naruto, Bleach, Claymore etc threre is a huge mess to do with the anime and manga discussion's bumping heads... There is probably more manga discussion then anime in there or at least room for more of the other. Do you see a Naruto Manga forum being created any time soon?. ^_^
Old 2007-09-30, 13:46   Link #86
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Cats, but hey, thats not the point 8) There IS a manga forum, and the reason why they post in wrong one could be anything, like forum rules and\or moderators allow it, or like you cant actually split posts, cause there are posts which include anime AND manga discussion, etc. 8)
Old 2007-10-02, 00:23   Link #87
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin1138 View Post
Cats, but hey, thats not the point 8) There IS a manga forum, and the reason why they post in wrong one could be anything, like forum rules and\or moderators allow it, or like you cant actually split posts, cause there are posts which include anime AND manga discussion, etc. 8)
It's difficult to prevent users from discussing the anime of one and the manga version since they both are used for references.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 15:58   Link #88
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Thats what Im saying.
Old 2009-04-15, 01:44   Link #89
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Live Action Forum?

While Animesuki is a forum dedicated to anime, it's also been home to other kinds of discussions as well. Given that we already have a forum dedicated to music, which doesn't have to be about anime, was kinda wondering on something for a long time now...

Why don't we have a forum on Live Action shows? Like J-Dramas, K-Dramas, Tokusatsu, and other live action shows... They are kinda related to anime in general afterall.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 02:29   Link #90
xris
Just call me Ojisan

That's why it is good to search before creating a new discussion thread, to see if the same question has been asked before

Feel free to post about live-action series (not here but in their respective threads), once we see an actual increase in activity then we might consider it but at the moment there seems little point in creating such a sub-forum. See replies in this thread for other reasons but for example it seems we have more discussion on Hollywood movies than live-action yet we do not have a sub-forum for Hollywood movies.

If you are wondering where you should discuss such topics then a search would have found you this answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Yes. If it's been listed on AnimeSuki then the thread should be in the Fansubbed forum (or the Licensed forum but I don't think any have been licenced yet), otherwise live-action discussion threads go in the General Chat forum. Don't forget to search to see if there is an existing thread on the topic first of all.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 10:08   Link #91
asunder
the ancient biter

On a semi-related note [read: i'm too lazy to make a new thread], I've noticed that animesuki in the past has served torrents for jdrama ( http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/660.html )

Has the policy for jdrama torrents changed at all? Aka is there a reason that jdrama torrents tracked by scarywater don't show up on asuki?
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 11:41   Link #92
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunder View Post
On a semi-related note [read: i'm too lazy to make a new thread], I've noticed that animesuki in the past has served torrents for jdrama ( http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/660.html )

Has the policy for jdrama torrents changed at all? Aka is there a reason that jdrama torrents tracked by scarywater don't show up on asuki?
Listing policy:

Quote:
On occasion AnimeSuki staff may choose to list live action (non-anime) shows on the site. To qualify a live action show needs to be based on a recent popular anime or manga, where "recent" is from the past 15 years or so, and "popular" means it's reasonbly well known among either the Western and/or Japanese fan community (ie: not obscure).

(Emphasis mine).
My guess is that while the staff may allow a few live-action torrents, the focus is meant to be on subbed anime. Thus, it's at their discretion as to whether a live-action work is listed.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 13:33   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In most cases, any live-action discussion is that of a popular series that has its own subforum (*most* cases). A live-action discussion thread might be appropriate within that subforum (rather like the CD/DVD/merchandise thread).

I don't really have a good solution for single thread series that are adapted to live-action though. I know a few people that rabidly follow doramas and their korean/chinese equivalents, for example, but they head to other forums that focus on those...
Old 2009-04-15, 13:58   Link #94
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I know a few people that rabidly follow doramas and their korean/chinese equivalents, for example, but they head to other forums that focus on those...
Simply put there is very low signal reception for live-action at animesuki; I could think of a few cases like Shinigami no Ballad where nobody ever replied. This is for the most part the reason we do not have them and the logical support for the "animesuki is not everything for everyone" reasoning not to have them.

It is the same with a lot of anime series. Some of the 1-thread series would appear to be watched by more people then some of the forum ones, but signals from them are not received well (read: very slow discussion, few people actually saying anything special) so they are stuck as threads.

As with most things there is what is called "improvised solution" (threads here and there etc); and forums are pretty good at it, though I wouldn't go as far to call it a strong point. Quality is more important then quantity and, in this case, the "packaging".
Old 2009-04-15, 14:40   Link #95
asunder
the ancient biter

Ahh.. thanks @ Fahd. I didn't notice that paragraph when skimming that page the first time.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote