AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 16:47   Link #381
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Getting attacked by creepy dolls has got to suck. Give me the giant enemy you can see coming any day .
Unless it's a giant creepy doll enemy
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 16:54   Link #382
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Creepy dolls in general are creepy and to be avoided. C'mon, I thought that everyone knew that if the dolls start laughing you're in a B grade horror movie that won't even get good reviews.
Anyway, I liked how they showed more of the Abyss here than in the manga, they certainly had the time (the anime seems to be going at a leisurely pace right now), but I thought it was over-dramatic to have Oz and Alice eaten. That just felt silly to me.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 17:05   Link #383
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Nah, I think they lose the creepy factor when they become giants. Then they are just in the same category of any giant thing that is about to destroy you . At least that's how I rank them.
Old 2009-04-18, 17:05   Link #384
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Didn't Alice also get her arms chopped off?
Old 2009-04-18, 17:18   Link #385
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Didn't Alice also get her arms chopped off?
Pretty certain that part wasn't in the manga, though all we heard were cut noises --- doesn't mean her arms where chopped off.
Old 2009-04-18, 17:36   Link #386
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Pretty certain that part wasn't in the manga, though all we heard were cut noises --- doesn't mean her arms where chopped off.
I'm not sure about both arms, but pretty sure she lost at least one. It was really quick in the episode. You could spot what looked like an arm as it hit the water.
Old 2009-04-18, 17:54   Link #387
Zippicus

Quote:
I'm not sure about both arms, but pretty sure she lost at least one. It was really quick in the episode. You could spot what looked like an arm as it hit the water.
Yeah I tried to pause it a few times to make sure, it was super hard to tell. It was the same color as her outfit though.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 19:13   Link #388
orion

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I tried to pause it a few times to make sure, it was super hard to tell. It was the same color as her outfit though.
I kept thinking "Ewww, that's an arm that fell into the water". Her arms were extended then we heard 1 slash sound and saw something disappear in the reflection. 2nd slash sound and something red hit the water. At 17:05 we didn't see her arms anymore. No arms at 18:00 either.

And then I thought "Wow, that was pretty violent and she's still conscious after having a double amputation. Alice had a GAR moment."

Last edited by orion; 2009-04-18 at 19:32.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 19:28   Link #389
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well, I just checked and the manga and I don't think that Alice lost an arm (it looked like her arms were wrapped up in that sticky stuff), although I was wrong and she did get swallowed in the original, things looks different when you're skimming through manga vs having to sit down and watch at a set pace...
Speaking of watching, another reason that I miss having the OP and ED in the subs, that cuts out the preview as well and I like not having to do extra work to find it.
Old 2009-04-18, 19:37   Link #390
orion

They could have deviated from the manga. A body part did hit the water. There would be no reason for the scream and the red thing hitting the water otherwise considering the arc that monster made with its blade.
Old 2009-04-18, 19:45   Link #391
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Yeah, I was just saying that I didn't think it was in the original, and I was wondering how much longer it was going to take Oz to make the contract with her honestly when I was watching. Wasn't paying attention to what was and wasn't hitting the water, like I said, it was hard to tell since I thought her arms were wrapped up and that would explain how she was being held up. Of course anime doesn't always follow the laws of physics, and I also blame the art there. I can't tell if it's how the art itself is such a dark color or if I'm just watching a low quality sub but I've found it a little hard to make out details in this show. I was actually going to ask if I was the only one who thought that Alice's coat looked a little off...
Old 2009-04-18, 19:51   Link #392
orion

I have a morbid curiosty when this level of violence shows up and the question of amputation crops up as I just wasn't expecting it. I was also following the reflection in the water for that scene.

I started paying close attention after seeing the blood splattered on her face when she tried to save Oz from Mad Baby the first time. Blood isn't red in the Abyss so I was particularily vigilant.

I really liked this episode.
Old 2009-04-18, 19:59   Link #393
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Oh and a silly question that has really been bothering me, where in the world do the chains come out of? I don't mean "chain" as in "Alice is a chain" I mean as in the chains she uses to fight. Seriously, it's like they just pop out of her back, well, I suppose she could be hiding some stuff under her coat...
Old 2009-04-18, 20:11   Link #394
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Oh and a silly question that has really been bothering me, where in the world do the chains come out of? I don't mean "chain" as in "Alice is a chain" I mean as in the chains she uses to fight. Seriously, it's like they just pop out of her back, well, I suppose she could be hiding some stuff under her coat...
Hammerspace.
Old 2009-04-18, 21:01   Link #395
Fweakin

Ep 3 has definitely left me wanting more. As a non-manga reader, I felt the first episode was pretty poor, and wasn't a great hook. Episode 2 amped up the interest a little with the introduction of Alice, but the 3rd was great. Creepy, funny, and touching.

My favourite of the season this year -- here's to hoping they keep it up.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:11   Link #396
EoT
~~

Episode 3 was thoroughly enjoyable.

Looking forward to the next episode
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 22:28   Link #397
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another very solid episode - good creepy atmosphere and nice advancement of the plot. I'm still not quite sure which direction any of these characters is going to go, including Oz, so that makes for an interesting anticipation factor.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 23:58   Link #398
Falkor

haven't had time to post some comments, despite the fact this is the show I'm looking forward the most every week (shame on me, really).

better animation would have added a lot more points to the visual experience (hint: second episode and the fight scene); but I don't really mind as long as they keep the focus on the story, the characters, and the dark/creepy aspects, which is, I believe, the selling points of the show, and they have done a fairly good job in this regard so far.

I actually like the 1 chapter/1 episode pacing; they are not leaving anything out, which is good I think. Hopefully we will get to the good parts very soon (me is looking forward to the next episode), since the first volume wasn't particularly my favorite.

I can't really say that I'm liking the performance of the new seiyuu cast (still prefer the Drama CD, though), but they seem to be getting the hang of it. Next episode should be very interesting with all the main characters on-screen.

As far as the third episode concerns, I wished they did some of the changes the Drama CD did with respect to the manga/script. I would have love to see Alice scream more (the moment she was being slashed)---it would have been a good appetizer of her dere-dere moments. Actually, I really wanted to see it... I mean, I was expecting to see it.

forgot to say this: I'm loving the music of this show. Kajiura's music is indeed making Pandora Hearts a very enjoyable/entertaining experience. I wonder when they are going to play the music from the trailer; so far, my favorite tracks have to be the music box and the one they played on the background for the conversation between Alice and Oz (episode 3, somewhere around the middle, I think).

what else... what else...

Alice, please step on me! (I can't believe I'm saying this)
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 02:45   Link #399
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Alice, please step on me! (I can't believe I'm saying this)
Oi, oi, I'm first! (///>_<///)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 03:05   Link #400
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Oi, oi, I'm first! (///>_<///)
No surprise there is a line building up for that .

Tags
fantasy, shounen