AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-05-01, 08:50   Link #141
Ender!
Spiral

Send a message via AIM to Ender! Send a message via MSN to Ender!
I heard from somewhere, can't remember where, that researching on how to build gundams is illegal. XD and Japan is going to have a life-sized gundam model that emits light and smoke in hundreds of places and it's head moves. Only life-sized one to stand up. It'll be up for only a few months though in Tokyo. I'm gonna see it when go there this summer. : D
Ender! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 08:50   Link #142
Dying Rose
Blurry: Puddle of mud

Yeah it's true I found a picture of it and a article on it.
Dying Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 09:16   Link #143
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
What a crap. Who needs such a bullshit?
Old 2009-05-01, 09:23   Link #144
Kamui4356
Aria Company

No matter how unbelievably awesome a mech may be, and they are unbelievably awesome, in reality they just aren't practical. Even in Gundam, well UC Gundam, the main reason mobile suits were viable weapons was minovsky particles generated by their reactors with made radar and other long range sensor systems virtually useless. In the real world a mech is just a large target. Even if you get past that, they'd be really expensive to the point that they'd cost too much to risk losing.
Old 2009-05-01, 09:32   Link #145
Dying Rose
Blurry: Puddle of mud

I know it's not practical and that it presents a large target but take a look at a tank for a minute it presents a large target to enemy fire. But if you make it smaller & put more practical weapons like rockets and gatlin guns on it I think it would be great for urbun style combat and you have to consider the benefits of Mobile suits in space too.
Dying Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 10:03   Link #146
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Rose View Post
I know it's not practical and that it presents a large target but take a look at a tank for a minute it presents a large target to enemy fire. But if you make it smaller & put more practical weapons like rockets and gatlin guns on it I think it would be great for urbun style combat and you have to consider the benefits of Mobile suits in space too.
A tank doesn't present anywhere near the target profile of a 10 meter tall mech. Further it's a much simpler thing to construct. It also needs less mantainance and would be vastly cheaper to both produce and operate. If you make mechs small enough to be practical, you don't have a mech any more, you have power armor.

In space they most certainly wouldn't be practical. If anything they'd be even more vunerable in space as they have no way to hide and the space they need for the arms and legs as well as the motors to make them do anything would be better used to mount as many missiles on as possible. For the cost of one mech, someone could build several spacecraft that are basicly boxes with as many missiles as they can stick on as possible.
Old 2009-05-01, 10:16   Link #147
Tri-ring

Didn't you know?
Japan had already developed a bipedal vehicle named Landwalker.

Ok the movement is still jerky but think what will happen when Ashimo technology is transferred into this thing.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 12:58   Link #148
Welkins

No way can a mobile doll move as well in reality then it would in a TV show. If you send of one them out to combat, they would be blown up by a tank or a jet fighter before it can even raise it's rifle.
Welkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 13:16   Link #149
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Who needs a Gundam suit? I am, on the other hand, still looking forward to real-life Mospeadae.

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 21:40   Link #150
Tri-ring

Reading some of the post concerning tanks are superior then bipedal armor in any enviorment is actually ridiculous.
If you look at Vietnam fought in lush jungle covered hilly terrains a tank is/was useless.
Planes were also limited since they were not able to visually confirm allies and/or foe's position within a limited area.
That leaves us with helicopters but they can't go below the natural jungle canopy either.
In an enviorment like this bipedal footsoldiers were the only solution and they still are.

Which will you feel more comfortable patrolling a jungle terrain, in a bipedal armor(with more agility then the one I posted) or your own two feet carrying a M-16?
Old 2009-05-01, 22:46   Link #151
Welkins

Oh, you want to talk about jungle terrain? Ok, well if a tank is useless in the jungle, a land walker would be as well. You should take into account of all the natural traps that are in a jungle, mudholes, swamp, pits, etc. What you going to do once you step across one? If you get stuck on one of those then you're walker is rendered useless and it'll just end up wasting millions of dollars that the government used to produced those things.

Sure you can be cautious but you can't avoid all of them. Not to mention that the guerrilla tactics the enemy could use. They could get some sniper to in the trees or in a ditch and have them attack their walker's weak point or use a rocket launcher to take out the walker's leg. Not to mention all the noises the walker would make in the jungle that would give away their position, and also their mobility being comparable to that of a slug to be able to react quick enough to the onslaught of the puny humans.

Now you could say that the Walker could just blow up every area he steps foot in, umm well, you do know those rockets and firepower cost money right? ALOT of money, especially for those type of heavy machinery. No way any government send those type of machine out just to blow up everything they see as reckless as they want to.

Overall, I don't see them being effective at all in the jungle terrain or in open-space. In fact I see those type of machine being more worthless out in the jungle then in the open.
Old 2009-05-01, 23:16   Link #152
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutters View Post
Oh, you want to talk about jungle terrain? Ok, well if a tank is useless in the jungle, a land walker would be as well. You should take into account of all the natural traps that are in a jungle, mudholes, swamp, pits, etc. What you going to do once you step across one? If you get stuck on one of those then you're walker is rendered useless and it'll just end up wasting millions of dollars that the government used to produced those things.

Sure you can be cautious but you can't avoid all of them. Not to mention that the guerrilla tactics the enemy could use. They could get some sniper to in the trees or in a ditch and have them attack their walker's weak point or use a rocket launcher to take out the walker's leg. Not to mention all the noises the walker would make in the jungle that would give away their position, and also their mobility being comparable to that of a slug to be able to react quick enough to the onslaught of the puny humans.

Now you could say that the Walker could just blow up every area he steps foot in, umm well, you do know those rockets and firepower cost money right? ALOT of money, especially for those type of heavy machinery. No way any government send those type of machine out just to blow up everything they see as reckless as they want to.

Overall, I don't see them being effective at all in the jungle terrain or in open-space. In fact I see those type of machine being more worthless out in the jungle then in the open.
Face palm,,,,
Tell me which do you think will have more surviability, an infantry platoon in jungle terrain with landwalker support or a platoon without it facing the same enemy?

Sinpers with 50mm armor peircing rifles in jungle terrain?
I doubt it and even if they were there they'll need to kill with the first shot since the sniper's position will easily be marked with something that big. Same with RPGs.
Jungle combat is actually about close proximity combat mostly within 30M. Any further away and there is a good chance line of sight will be disrupted.
Old 2009-05-01, 23:27   Link #153
Welkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Face palm,,,,
Tell me which do you think will have more surviability, an infantry platoon in jungle terrain with landwalker support or a platoon without it facing the same enemy?
Trust me, if there is one thing that the government & military hate, it is wasting money. Not only would those walkers have low chances of succeeding at whatever mission they're are set to do in that type of terrain(beside protecting the pilot, which is the only thing they would be able to do effectively in those territories) but they would also cost the government billions of dollars to produce. Hell, one of those walkers probably cost around 1 million dollars, but I've always been notoriously off in guesstimating the cost of things.

I bet the entire military staff would facepalm themselves after seeing the first step of those highly expensive machine be into a steep ditch.
Old 2009-05-01, 23:27   Link #154
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
I think a walker type war machince in real life would be good as a support unit.Maybe a artillery type would be a good addition for military use.
Old 2009-05-01, 23:37   Link #155
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Trust me, if there is one thing that the government & military hate it is wasting money. Not only would those walkers have low chances of succeeding at whatever mission they're are set to do in that type of terrain(beside protecting the pilot, which is the only thing they would be able to do effectively in those territories) but they would also cost the government billions of dollars to produce. Hell, one of those walkers probably cost around 1 million dollars, but I've always been notoriously off in guesstimating the cost of things.
We just need to convince them that conducting reasearch on a bipedal tank cum mobile nuclear weapon delivery platform that capable of lauching nukes from anywhere is a good investment. We can start with Iran or North Korea here.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 05:56   Link #156
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Trust me, if there is one thing that the government & military hate, it is wasting money. Not only would those walkers have low chances of succeeding at whatever mission they're are set to do in that type of terrain(beside protecting the pilot, which is the only thing they would be able to do effectively in those territories) but they would also cost the government billions of dollars to produce. Hell, one of those walkers probably cost around 1 million dollars, but I've always been notoriously off in guesstimating the cost of things.

I bet the entire military staff would facepalm themselves after seeing the first step of those highly expensive machine be into a steep ditch.
If they cost a million dollars to produce, that means you get ~150 units for the price of one F-22.
Old 2009-05-02, 07:50   Link #157
-HyugaNeji-

Instead of freaking gundams they should FINALLY build something like that for normal troops. An exoskeleton/armor like that, can surely be one big advantage on the battlefield. It's like a small tank:

http://www.kodama.ch/cms/wp-content/...ce_marine1.jpg
-HyugaNeji- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 10:09   Link #158
reinloch

Man-sized drones mounting light weapons like a machine gun and grenade launcher for MOUT? Can be deployed from a standard APC and are capable of autonomous operation.
Old 2009-05-02, 11:25   Link #159
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HyugaNeji- View Post
Instead of freaking gundams they should FINALLY build something like that for normal troops. An exoskeleton/armor like that, can surely be one big advantage on the battlefield. It's like a small tank:

http://www.kodama.ch/cms/wp-content/...ce_marine1.jpg
So something like iron-man. That technology seems more of a reachable point than a giant mobile suit, at least right now. Start small first.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 11:36   Link #160
Welkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
If they cost a million dollars to produce, that means you get ~150 units for the price of one F-22.
I told you I was going to be way off. Probably more in the range of $40-50million each?