AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-05-09, 05:40   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Timing with a Touchpad, Foolish or Brilliant?

Okay, so I hope I'm not about to start a new epic subbing war with this topic, but I'm going to admit something: I time with a touchpad.

It's partially because I have a wireless keyboard with a touchpad that I sit on my lap, but it's also because I've been working on a laptop a lot lately as well, and after just a little bit, I'm now quite a bit faster with the touchpad than with the mouse.

Since timing is all about a single axis of control, a touchpad can be nice and accurate, and using tapping or tap and drag, combined with zoned tapping for right clicking, it's really quite fast. Since I time/translate at the same time, I need to move my right hand back and forth to the keyboard, and using a touchpad makes it a lot easier than a mouse, since there's no re-positioning of the mouse each time I start using it again.

So, does anyone else use a touchpad to time? A trackball? Powerglove?

Just curious...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 06:58   Link #2
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

I just lower the DPI on my mouse, fullscreen Aegisub, open audio + keyframes only and use SDFGW + mouse when I'm timing and it's quite fast that way (35-45min per episode and I only do timing occasionally, not full-time). Haven't tried with any other method since I don't have a trackball or other stuff like that, but I'd imagine it could be a bit faster with a trackball.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 11:50   Link #3
screamers994

I always use my TouchPad, it's very useful in Karaoke
screamers994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 12:06   Link #4
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

spacebar FTW!
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 12:55   Link #5
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

When timing dialogue it's all about left/right mouse button + decent precision in horizontal movement (which you can achieve by either zooming the spectrum view horizontally or lowering the mouse sensitivity). I don't see what you gain by using a touchpad, really.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:17   Link #6
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I hated using the trackpad on my laptop, but that was when 1.10 was the best available. Haven't had a time when I had to use my laptop since 2.0+ came out, but I'm happy (and fast enough) with a normal mouse.
Old 2009-05-09, 21:36   Link #7
PlasticYakuza
Space Pirate

Send a message via AIM to PlasticYakuza Send a message via Yahoo to PlasticYakuza
I've been stuck with the touchpad on my laptop since my desktop died. Started out pretty painful, but after about the first 3-4 episodes timed I had gotten to be just as fast with the touchpad. Just took some time to adjust to it and being too lazy to plug in a mouse. Think I would stick to a mouse if I was still doing it at a desk. But being able to laze about in bed and time, or while in the car, its definitely beneficial to be use to it.
PlasticYakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 13:52   Link #8
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I wonder if anyone has tried timing with a trackpoint (the eraser-esque pointing device found on certain laptops).
Old 2009-05-10, 15:49   Link #9
Kristen
*Author

I've tried both, and to be honest, I prefer a mouse. The touchpad makes my fingers cramp a lot. Plus, the left and right buttons are convenient to select end times. And it's a bit less cramped. Left hand can operate the sdfgqw (and maybe a if it's a k-time), right can operate the mouse, no problems.
Old 2009-05-11, 00:12   Link #10
zhurai-tsuki
*Fansubber

I've also used both, only problem about the touchpad, that I turn it off, is that whilst I type, it starts clicking random shit (or highlighting random shit) that then I have to find what it screwed up with, and change it, etc etc.

Timing wise, I sometimes find it hard to control it for (somewhat) the same reasons)

though I might try to do that again, just to see how it's like for me now, but at the moment? I'm with using a mouse
zhurai-tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 00:41   Link #11
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhurai-tsuki View Post
I've also used both, only problem about the touchpad, that I turn it off, is that whilst I type, it starts clicking random shit (or highlighting random shit) that then I have to find what it screwed up with, and change it, etc etc.

Timing wise, I sometimes find it hard to control it for (somewhat) the same reasons)

though I might try to do that again, just to see how it's like for me now, but at the moment? I'm with using a mouse
It sounds like you're accidentally hitting it with your palm when you type.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 13:50   Link #12
zhurai-tsuki
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
It sounds like you're accidentally hitting it with your palm when you type.
most likely, I've disabled the keyboard whilst typing...so hopefully it'll be better now, so just I need to eventually try it out again...
Old 2009-05-12, 23:19   Link #13
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
most likely, I've disabled the keyboard whilst typing...so hopefully it'll be better now, so just I need to eventually try it out again...

you're typing with.... touchpad?

anyway, I don't see problem timing with a touchpad. Some may argue the 'speed' but if one only ever use touchpad or trackball or trackpad when timing, it'll most likely the device they can time fastest
Old 2009-05-13, 12:35   Link #14
sangofe

I have only been using a laptop for a bit over a month, and really have no control at all over my touchpad, so I'm not ever gonna try to use that for timing. Not that I feel like ever timing much either.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 18:40   Link #15
zhurai-tsuki
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post

you're typing with.... touchpad?
no, I just sometimes accidently touch the touchpad while I'm typing. O_o

where'd I say I typed with the touchpad o.o?
Old 2009-05-13, 19:15   Link #16
pichu
*Fansubber

lol... touchpad...

I timed with both my Keningston ExpertMouse, the LARGE trackball (about 2cm ball radius)... as well as a Wacom Tablet (Intuos2, Grapphire Bluetooth, and a pentablet PC). I just find them better than conventional mice. In fact, I use my trackball all the time. On my laptop, I use a touchpad though.

I don't mind using a touchpad, as long as I use the shortcut keys... I much prefer the tablet over the touchpad though...

A reply:

Quote:
no, I just sometimes accidently touch the touchpad while I'm typing. O_o

where'd I say I typed with the touchpad o.o?
Quote:
If you disabled your keyboard while typing... then you're typing with a touchpad! (i think you mean s/keyboard/touchpad/)

--

Large Trackballs are really nice ... It feels like you're in the screen, esp when you're playing H-Games... roll around her boobies on your big trackball :>

Last edited by pichu; 2009-05-15 at 06:14.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 18:14   Link #17
talos wing

o.0; i cant even fathom timing with a touchpad or ball...
talos wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 11:02   Link #18
zhurai-tsuki
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post
lol... touchpad...

I timed with both my Keningston ExpertMouse, the LARGE trackball (about 2cm ball radius)... as well as a Wacom Tablet (Intuos2, Grapphire Bluetooth, and a pentablet PC). I just find them better than conventional mice. In fact, I use my trackball all the time. On my laptop, I use a touchpad though.

I don't mind using a touchpad, as long as I use the shortcut keys... I much prefer the tablet over the touchpad though...

A reply:

If you disabled your keyboard while typing... then you're typing with a touchpad! (i think you mean s/keyboard/touchpad/)

--

Large Trackballs are really nice ... It feels like you're in the screen, esp when you're playing H-Games... roll around herp boobies on your big trackball :>
>_> my bad... typo obviously =_=

I disabled my touchpad while typing

<_<'
Old 2009-05-16, 01:44   Link #19
sangofe

Quote:
>_> my bad... typo obviously =_=

I disabled my touchpad while typing

<_<'
Awesome. Anyone knows how to disable a touchpad while typing on an Acer?
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 02:32   Link #20
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Fn-F7 (on my aspire 2930z and travelmate 4000, at least)

must be manually pressed though