AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-05-22, 22:50   Link #321
reinloch

So are we at the level of understanding that the mecha has no role in MOUT?
Old 2009-05-22, 23:34   Link #322
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinloch View Post
So are we at the level of understanding that the mecha has no role in MOUT?
We are at the level of understanding that a bipedal mecha has no military role whatsoever.

Well, most of us.
Old 2009-05-23, 06:24   Link #323
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keio View Post
We are at the level of understanding that a bipedal mecha has no military role whatsoever.

Well, most of us.
Yup, and a few pages back most people doubted that these things could even be built not having a clue the of specifications nor the principle of locomotion.

Yeah, yeah, blasphemy and heresy, I know call out the inquisition and throw me into the river with a rock and see if I float.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 06:39   Link #324
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
unless, if you are a person who gets Laplace Boxed (Gundam Unicorn reference).
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 08:12   Link #325
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Yup, and a few pages back most people doubted that these things could even be built not having a clue the of specifications nor the principle of locomotion.

Yeah, yeah, blasphemy and heresy, I know call out the inquisition and throw me into the river with a rock and see if I float.
What are you talking about? We all know that bipedal robots exist but it is another thing to supersize them. We are talking about the capabilities of the humanoid shape and frankly, many scientists agree on the fact that the humanoid shape won't be able to support its own weight if it grew any larger than the tallest/largest human that ever existed.

And how about deconstructing the points I made a page back?

Last edited by Keio; 2009-05-23 at 11:56.
Keio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 11:29   Link #326
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

how about complex mechs in the future that could be easy & cheap to produce in large numbers as the same way with today's powerful microchips?

also they come in various different shapes & sizes to suit different tasks, like e.g. from 5 meters to 18 meters tall, & its parts could be easy to re-cycle?

& yes, very large sized mechs will have a problem trying to shoot a small targets at a very close range, cuz its like trying to shoot a mosquito flying at high speeds with a shotgun.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-05-23, 15:16   Link #327
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Who knows...to be frank I am not sure about the world in just 5 years in the future.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 17:31   Link #328
Tri-ring

Quote:
What are you talking about? We all know that bipedal robots exist but it is another thing to supersize them. We are talking about the capabilities of the humanoid shape and frankly, many scientists agree on the fact that the humanoid shape won't be able to support its own weight if it grew any larger than the tallest/largest human that ever existed.

???
Yeah, Yeah.
Humanoid shaped robots won't support it's own weight if it's bigger than a human.
What else do these scientists teach? Intelligent design?

One of the most craziest arguement I've heard yet.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 17:43   Link #329
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
???
Yeah, Yeah.
Humanoid shaped robots won't support it's own weight if it's bigger than a human.
What else do these scientists teach? Intelligent design?

One of the most craziest arguement I've heard yet.
At least it is backed by research spanning years, perhaps even decades. How about your arguments?

Also,
Quote:
Old 2009-05-23, 21:14   Link #330
mechabao

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNDAM H.E.X. View Post
how about complex mechs in the future that could be easy & cheap to produce in large numbers as the same way with today's powerful microchips?

also they come in various different shapes & sizes to suit different tasks, like e.g. from 5 meters to 18 meters tall, & its parts could be easy to re-cycle?

& yes, very large sized mechs will have a problem trying to shoot a small targets at a very close range, cuz its like trying to shoot a mosquito flying at high speeds with a shotgun.
Still doesn't solve the problem of them being freaking huge targets, having huge ground pressure, armoring them. Specially the armoring part because if there's a massive breakthrough in armor technology which allows for lightweight but super-strong material, armored and tracked vehicles will still be able to mount more of it compared to a mecha.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 03:34   Link #331
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I think you're confused. We can't make a flesh and bone human that's... Actually, I don't know the limit. If you're willing to accept back trouble, I suspect we've got some margin beyond the record of 2m72.

If we're building a robot out of more conventional materials like, you know, steel and aluminum, we can go quite a bit higher.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 07:48   Link #332
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, its not the shape that fails to support itself in larger scales, its the materials. If humans didn't evolve from mammals but insects instead, the carapace exoskeleton we will have, could probably support our weight an size several times more than what we have now. But no it won't work because of another reason, the oxygen distribution in the atmosphere limits insect size.

I've always thought Super Robots are more 'real' than Real Robots. Building Real Robots out of conventional materials for conventional warfare is never feasible. But if you build a Super Robot of the most advanced technologies, making it so advanced that its practically invincible against conventional warfare, its more plausible than Real Robots.

This thread is dealing with conventional warfare using conventional materials limited by what the current technology can provide within a normal budget. This makes mecha of any sort impractical and totally not feasible for today.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 08:24   Link #333
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

how about we start from the basic civilian-use mecha first?,
for use in daily life, for work/jobs like construction, fire department, police, etc.
much like the setting of the original gundam series?.

complex military stuffs, nah!, later!. BASIC COMES FIRST!!.
Old 2009-05-24, 08:28   Link #334
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
how about we start from the basic civilian-use mecha first?,
for use in daily life, for work/jobs like construction, fire department, police, etc.
much like the setting of the original gundam series?.

military stuffs, nah, later!. BASIC COMES FIRST!!.
Japan has started to use robots in construction and stuff, though they're not humanoid.

And this:
Made by him alone, taking 11 years and is the 3rd version after his wife asked him to make a robot to dump trash. Has a cockpit but can be fully remote controlled by the control panel and has seats for around 6 people.

Old 2009-05-24, 08:47   Link #335
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

^ already seen the RX-03, the third generation of the Kabuto class.
& the "RX" in the code naming, which makes me wonder on where its decendants are actually aiming for.

complete with the Mentaly-ill trollers on youtube (which i can't stop laughing at about ), there are still alot more other models outhere which yet i have not seen yet.

which makes me wanna make an organisation to unite all the researchers around the world into working together as one, to create the most perfect mecha ever!.
Old 2009-05-24, 08:52   Link #336
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If I ever become a billionaire I'll definitely fund mecha research

Just 75 more upgrades and we will have a Gundam soon.

Old 2009-05-24, 11:48   Link #337
Keio
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think you're confused. We can't make a flesh and bone human that's... Actually, I don't know the limit. If you're willing to accept back trouble, I suspect we've got some margin beyond the record of 2m72.

If we're building a robot out of more conventional materials like, you know, steel and aluminum, we can go quite a bit higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yes, its not the shape that fails to support itself in larger scales, its the materials. If humans didn't evolve from mammals but insects instead, the carapace exoskeleton we will have, could probably support our weight an size several times more than what we have now. But no it won't work because of another reason, the oxygen distribution in the atmosphere limits insect size.

I've always thought Super Robots are more 'real' than Real Robots. Building Real Robots out of conventional materials for conventional warfare is never feasible. But if you build a Super Robot of the most advanced technologies, making it so advanced that its practically invincible against conventional warfare, its more plausible than Real Robots.

This thread is dealing with conventional warfare using conventional materials limited by what the current technology can provide within a normal budget. This makes mecha of any sort impractical and totally not feasible for today.
My bad. Forgot to consider the materials. But the humanoid shape still isn't the best weapons platform.
Old 2009-05-24, 12:20   Link #338
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
I think it's only depends on situation. Everything has it's certain ups and downs in various situations. But it's true that if we build a battle mecha with the current technology it's close to useless. But I'm not sure about that after 20 years.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 14:26   Link #339
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

to me, i also think that, a Mecha is not just much of a vehicle like a car, boat, airplane, etc.
but as a part of Evolution of living organisms, yeah, they are like a part of our bodies/something like that,
to protect our fragile bodies & would help us to become more durable, to survive in the new extreme enviroments.

yeah, we will evolve into the next stage, all living creatures will evolve to become gundam. LOL
Old 2009-05-24, 15:16   Link #340
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
to me, i also think that, a Mecha is not just much of a vehicle like a car, boat, airplane, etc.
but as a part of Evolution of living organisms, yeah, they are like a part of our bodies/something like that,
to protect our fragile bodies & would help us to become more durable, to survive in the new extreme enviroments.

yeah, we will evolve into the next stage, all living creatures will evolve to become gundam. LOL
Scientists predict that humans will eventually modify our bodies as part of everyday life in the future.

Now we already have prosthetic limbs and parts that are almost robotic, this helps amputees. But we also have a new frontier in electronics that help the visual and hearing impaired. These devices are implanted directly into the brain wired to a camera or hearing device externally. The visual and audio input is directly sent to the brain which the brain will then decipher to get a visual or audio response. It gives the permanently disabled a chance to see or listen again.

The technologies will continue to advance and people will soon implant themselves with internets through wifi, fully mechanical limbs and stuff. But most importantly is they will soon be able to map the entire brain and translate it into data format. People can then upload their brains into computers saving their memories or replacing their own.

Even further into the future, people will just abandon their mortal bodies and live as immortal data as long as all the universe's servers doesn't crash at the same time or a universe wide virus infection. People will literally become data entities. You can travel through the universe at speed of light by transmitting your own data across the universe and be recieved somewhere else with another terminal or even android body of yours. The android body could be made of nanomachines or cells, or could just be another human body with a digital brain to contain your memory.