AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-25, 16:18   Link #581
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Himura View Post
*Shrugs* Do they actually apply different standards based on the "line" they are declaring a series to be part of? I mean, it's not like Kenshin ever ran in the US version of the magazine, except for, like, one teaser and a bonus story, if memory serves. Also that would seem to defeat the point of the rating system if a better gauge is what line they consider the title to fall into.
I can't say for certain, but it seems clear to me that if any company was to enforce a set of rules on what was acceptable for their line, it would be Viz for Shonen Jump. That's an extremely visible and highly-promoted line of comics for teens and young teens, and as such there is a certain business sense in making sure all those titles' returns are maximized by being safe enough for Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers that have strict content requirements.

Bokurano, however, isn't even in a remotely similar situation. Ikki titles are being distributed on the net first, and given a set of circumstances (they haven't really explained the process yet) might then later be printed and sold in book form. This is a niche publishing process, NOT a major one, and it's NOT going to be marketed solely to young teens--they probably won't like any Ikki titles, anyway!

Another thing--not to ruin any preconceptions of manga publishing--is that these companies aren't these monstrous, well-oiled machines with exacting standards in all situations. They're made up of a handful of editors who contract translators to work on their titles, and how any particular manga is "handled" is pretty much up to the editor. One person might have a slightly different take on the proper presentation than another. There's no strict science about it. This means that using one manga from the same company as the basis for expectations of the others is just silly. None of this stuff is calculus, it's just judgment calls made by different people. If you really want to know how well a manga was preserved/translated, you have to look at the individual editor and translator. I've seen, really, a surprising amount of anxiety over content/censorship issues in Bokurano the last few days and it just baffles me. There really shouldn't be any uproar about it. Bokurano is going to be perfectly fine.
Old 2009-05-25, 18:04   Link #582
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

On a slightly unrelated note, Bokurano chapter 65 is in this month's IKKI released today (25th) however I couldn't find the chapter title to see if Ushiro is still attempting genocide on the away Earth.
Old 2009-05-28, 03:12   Link #583
stpehen
kisses for all

Raws for chapter 64-2 popped up today, the leading ad at the end said that 65 would be the last chapter.
Old 2009-05-28, 09:33   Link #584
Renan

Oh my God! Grrrrr! 63 and 64.1 better show up soon! >: (

Last edited by Renan; 2009-05-28 at 09:34. Reason: I made a typo
Old 2009-05-29, 08:36   Link #585
sjdx830
The head of Rendu

Send a message via MSN to sjdx830
Chapter 65 is indeed the last one.
When I was searching drawings on pixiv, I found a picture of Ushiro with such sentences:
・゚・(ノД`)・゚・ぼくの考えた最終回を語り合ってた頃、もしかしたら生き残る奴もいるんじゃないかと おもってたんですが‥甘かったね♪
link

ps: where can find the raws?

Last edited by sjdx830; 2009-05-29 at 08:37. Reason: add link
Old 2009-06-04, 13:02   Link #586
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Raws for 63 and 64-1 have surfaced on MH.
Old 2009-06-04, 15:45   Link #587
Renan

Thank you God!

Last edited by Renan; 2009-06-04 at 15:45. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 2009-06-05, 03:54   Link #588
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Looks like chapters up to 64-2 are now up.

Spoiler for Chapter 64:
Old 2009-06-05, 14:11   Link #589
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

half sister
Old 2009-06-05, 16:25   Link #590
Renan

:/
One more chapter right? I mean this was cool and all, but the battle itself seemed so half assessed. At least what followed was good. Sequel maybe?
Old 2009-06-06, 07:05   Link #591
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Unlikely, this is the final point. Some people hate Kitoh with passion, Bokurano clearly shows why.

It's truly sad and yet at the same time awesome to think that Ushiro, the last pilot, one of the most unlikable character of the manga (at least at the beginning) will end this. His last vision will be a sea of fire and the screams, a vision from hell. And Kitoh really tries its best to show how horrific it is, especially when he shows what the others are thinking.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am sick for liking this manga so much.
Old 2009-06-06, 08:21   Link #592
karumofin

i wish the anime could hav ebeen faithfull to this...
Old 2009-06-06, 08:36   Link #593
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
I must agree that you are sick. No. . it's more like that we are sick for liking this manga.
This manga is not so 'dark' compared with other manga that consist of some cruel rape which will end up in some killing mayhem or a very cruel vengeance. . but still, this manga is more dark than them in a way.

Old 2009-06-07, 07:50   Link #594
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
U His last vision will be a sea of fire and the screams, a vision from hell. And Kitoh really tries its best to show how horrific it is, especially when he shows what the others are thinking.

Actually I think the mere fact that we find it horrific has something powerful to say. In this modern shock obsessed internet culture its hard not to become slightly desensitized to things that we perhaps should find horrific. The fact that I and others can relate in an empathic way with the horror of the situation Ushiro is faced with emphasises the fact that I'm not "dead" inside, I still have a moral core, or conscience.

On another note somewhere along the way I seem to have lost the plot slightly, LOL. I thought that by losing Machi, they were still a Pilot down, I'll have to go back and reread those chapters.
Old 2009-06-07, 15:57   Link #595
Renan

Since Machi got shot doesn't another Earth automatically lose since there's no one to show them how to fight or make them sign the contract?
Old 2009-06-08, 21:37   Link #596
Digi-Dragon

I'm joining in the discussion.

I remember in Machi's last chapter, Dung Beetle said he'd "take care" of the last pilot. They ARE down one, but that last pilot needs to gather more with his or her battle, like Kokopelli/Garaku did.

>.> I've kinda got a theory about this, but I may be TOTALLY off.

Maybe Dung Beetle will make himself the final pilot somehow? I don't know who he'd choose as the next Dung Beetle, but he seemed to already have a plan and didn't want to get anyone else involved after Machi died. Just an idea. ^^;;
Old 2009-06-10, 14:36   Link #597
Renan

that would be awesome, but there's the whole Bokurano ends next chapter thing going on.
Old 2009-06-10, 17:18   Link #598
Digi-Dragon

Yeah, there's that. :/ I'm just trying to figure out how Kitoh can finish off the story with the knowledge that they need one more pilot in only one chapter. Keeping my fingers crossed, though - and anxiously awaiting the last release.
Old 2009-06-12, 14:05   Link #599
Renan

5 part chapter 65 maybe? lol, only in our dreams.
Old 2009-06-12, 14:10   Link #600
Digi-Dragon

...That would probably be so epic I'd start giggling uncontrollably.

Though a two part chapter 65 is a good idea! [crosses fingers]
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, seinen