Notices

Old 2009-05-26, 12:24   Link #121
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Rewatching the trailer, I noticed the words "hellfire" on the B&W first person camera view segment by the end of the trailer, suggesting armed helo gunships with TV Guided missiles perhaps? Like the most probable carrier of such weapons, the Apache...
So does this mean we get to see another gunship mission?

Also, anyone has the full transcripts for the trailer (translations included)?
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 13:17   Link #122
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Given that Spectres aren't known to carry TV-Guided missiles (AFAIK), if that scene isn't just a game cutscene then most likely we'll get to be in the hot seat of an attack helicopter of some sort.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 13:38   Link #123
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

The storyline looks like it is going to be cheesy, but that looks like it will be made up for by what looks to be extremely awesome game play. I'm especially looking forward to the arctic missions. I have a question too, last time there were two separate locations for missions and this time it looks like we are in Russia and ???
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 14:07   Link #124
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

According to the dialogue, seems we might also be going to South America this time around (with the mentions of Rio De Janiero), and there's also that airport scene, though we don't know which airport it's supposed to be.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-05-26, 14:26   Link #125
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

From what I read in COD Wiki, we're also going to Afghanistan, but I don't see any Afghani outbacks in the trailer (unless we count the jumping-over-the-ice-ledge one, which leads to mountain operations).

Rio de Janeiro is confirmed, and from the looks of it it's going to be in the slump area. Still not sure about the airport, though it looks like to be taking place in Russia.
Old 2009-06-03, 10:02   Link #126
patnam

i just watch the E3 version Demo for this game...
man you're not gonna miss that in November...
sure going to own it...!!!
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 22:25   Link #127
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Let's see now . . .

Sequel to CoD 4 *check*
Soap is returning (as an NPC, though) *check*
Bushmaster ACR *check*
Epic release date is epic *check*

Yeah, I'm getting this game.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:08   Link #128
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I'm very disappointed that it doesn't seem as if there will be another infantry POV like there was in the first Modern Warfare with the Marines, but I am still incredibly pumped about this game.

I'd very much rather have a game of entirely or at least half infantry-type fighting but the CoD games have all been so good that I can't really lose any desire for this game to get out on the market already. It's going to be a painful wait. lol

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 16:30   Link #129
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
From what I can see from the trailer, it looks like while we may not be fighting at the light infantry scale like with the USMC missions, it looks like the fighting force across a good majority of the missions might still a good proportioned squadron level, certainly much larger than the troop level at largest during the joint SAS/USMC missions; A good mix between the large and small...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 17:46   Link #130
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

A Marine Force Recon DA operation consisting of assaulting a city in helicopters isn't exactly "light" infantry. But yeah, I get what you guys are saying.

Also, has it been confirmed that it's going to be SAS only? From what I've read, Task Force 141 is supposed to be multinational, so we could be looking at other forces too. Honestly, only playing as one character/nationality in a CoD game is going to be weird.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:42   Link #131
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

According to this article, said task force is composed of CIA, Delta Force, Rangers and SAS (referred to as "The Coalition of Badasses" )

Old 2009-06-04, 20:13   Link #132
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
A Marine Force Recon DA operation consisting of assaulting a city in helicopters isn't exactly "light" infantry. But yeah, I get what you guys are saying.
Well, even if you consider the MAGTF elements, the overall force and especially the ground elements are still of a relative substantial number, compared to say, your typical Marine Corps or Army infantry...After all, while the USMC Force Recon does engage in direct action, it's still special operations capable, with it's operations similar to that of the US Army Rangers, with obvious differences to mission directives...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-06-04, 21:13   Link #133
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Well, even if you consider the MAGTF elements, the overall force and especially the ground elements are still of a relative substantial number, compared to say, your typical Marine Corps or Army infantry...After all, while the USMC Force Recon does engage in direct action, it's still special operations capable, with it's operations similar to that of the US Army Rangers, with obvious differences to mission directives...
While Recon Marines* engaged in DA operations can be compared to Rangers, MARSOC/MFR elements differ from Ranger Battalions when it comes greenside operations, which is what Recon Marines are supposed to be doing, not DA. Rangers are supposed to do be able to handle both clandestine and DA operations, but Recon Marines were created specifically to do deep reconnaissance missions . . . though that's been changing lately since the demand for deep reconnaissance missions isn't that high in the current AO. Also, Recon Marines have had to take on a broader variety of missions lately (especially with the creation of MARSOC) in order to keep up with a changing battlefield, which basically means that Recon Marines are the Marine Corps equivalent of the Army Rangers. Huh . . . I have no idea where I was going with that one.

Anyway, I realize that there were a substantial number of Marines involved. Notice my emphasis on the word "light." Light infantry refers to units lacking armor, heavy weapons, etc. A MEU does not count as light infantry since MEUs are built around the MAGTF, which includes everything from armor to arty to close air support. MEU(SOC)s are no exception.

* - I use "Recon Marine" as an umbrella term to refer to anyone in a Marine Reconnaissance Battalion, Force Reconnaissance Company, or Marine Special Operations Battalion because A) it's faster to type than "MARSOC/(Force) Recon Marine" and B) all Recon, Force Recon, and MARSOC Marines are Recon qualified anyway.

On Topic: CIA, huh? I doubt you'd be able to play as them, seeing as how CIA operatives deal mostly with information gathering, assisting local fighters, and other actions of the sort instead of simply shooting shit (which is what we need in a game like this), but that's still rather interesting. I'm really hoping for Delta Force action since one of Delta's primary duties is counter-terrorism and I really liked missions like the Mile High Club one.

Last edited by Nappy Hared Azn; 2009-06-04 at 21:37.
Nappy Hared Azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 21:42   Link #134
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
Anyway, I realize that there were a substantial number of Marines involved. Notice my emphasis on the word "light." Light infantry refers to units lacking armor, heavy weapons, etc. A MEU does not count as light infantry since MEUs are built around the MAGTF, which includes everything from armor to arty to close air support. MEU(SOC)s are no exception.
Well, as far as in-game goes, I only used light infantry lightly...Get it? No, seriously, I used "light infantry" from a limited gaming perspective, anyway, not in real life...

The other poster there worried about the size of the force, and I said "light infantry" due to the lack of integration of mechanized support in the game, with nothing to do with the real life counterpart..."Infantry" would've worked fine, but I viewed the majority of the USMC missions as "light infantry" missions since mechanized support was only made explicit during the "Shock and Awe" mission with it otherwise only being kept to a minimum in "The Bog" and "War Pig"...Technically not correct since you have Harriers, Black Hawks, Sea Knights, Cobras, and Abrams going all about the place throughout each of the USMC missions, hardly making it a "light" anything, but I just assumed the level of direct gameplay interaction when talking about that...

Either way, back to real life for a second, the Marine Expeditionary Unit can be considered a light infantry if they make a seaborne insertion...Just because the MEU utilizes elements of the MAGTF doesn't mean all of their missions involve so, unless otherwise reinforced, obviously...
Old 2009-06-04, 22:14   Link #135
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Well, seeing as how the entire Marine Corps revolves around the MAGTF, you'll pretty much never see regular infantry going it alone. Even during amphibious assaults, there's still close air support attacking coastal defenses and shit, even though arty and armor may not have made it onto shore yet. There's also naval gunfire when available. But we're going way off topic . . .

So, Modern Warfare 2, eh?
Old 2009-06-05, 10:28   Link #136
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

For those who haven't seen it yet:

Old 2009-06-05, 10:35   Link #137
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Fuckin-A. That is all.

Regards CIA, the CIA does have it's own parailitary side and does have it's own black operators, though mostly at this point they tend to be information gathering. Dick Couch was a paramilitary case officer for the CIA for years while juggling his reserve SEAL duties, and Billy Waugh was a black operator for the CIA after he got headhunted from the army, for but 2 examples.

Also, to the above gentlemen: On their own, Marines are considered light infantry. Well-supported, highly trained light infantry, but light infantry nontheless. This does not change even when riding LAVs or AAVs, as the entire mindset of light infantry as practiced by the Corps is built on a light force, quick to react to changes, able to be quickly deployed in and out of hot zones, establishing a beachhead so that the army can come in and hold the ground while the Marines charge off to go and capture more toys.

This is in contrast to the UK's Royal Marines Commando, who are trained from the ground up as a special operations force (every Marine is Commando-rated) and who form the core of the Special Boat Service, the UK equivalent to the SEALs (the SEALs and SBS do a lot of cross training, similar to the relationship between Delta and SAS).

Incidentally, my guess is that Roach is from Delta - his last name, Sanderson, is the same surname as one of the Delta operators in the movie of Black Hawk Down, Jeff Sanderson.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2009-06-05 at 10:56.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 12:14   Link #138
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
For those who haven't seen it yet:

Captain Soap!! Oh my god, I think I died multiple times already. Also, is that another stealth mission I'm seeing?
Old 2009-06-05, 12:31   Link #139
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

At least this time we've got better toys to play with.

I noted it says Silenced ACR with Heartbeat Sensor - given the shape of the stock, I'd think this was a SCAR-L rifle. Or it could be a Bushmaster ACR, aka the Magpul Masada... the fact that it seems compatible with AK ammo suggests a Masada, since the modular design allows you to reconfig it for any purpose and to use any ammo.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 12:50   Link #140
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regards CIA, the CIA does have it's own parailitary side and does have it's own black operators, though mostly at this point they tend to be information gathering.
Well, yes and no...Anyone that knows anything will find the CIA has just as many separate divisions within itself as the Army has combat organizations and is just as absorbed into a larger organization above itself...

Regarding intel gathering, within the CIA's National Clandestine Service (NCS), there is the Special Activities Division (SAD) and two subdivisions responsible for different mission directives; One is for psychological and political influence, the other is for paramilitary action...The paramilitary section of the SAD is the Special Operations Group (SOG) that, as it's name implies, operates as a paramilitary special operations force whose missions do much more than just intel, as they partake in direct action, assassinations, sabatoge, and unconventional warfare and counter-terrorism, on top of psychological and political operations...They recruit the best from the US Armed Forces special operations, such as SEAL Team Six, Delta Force, Special Forces, Rangers, Force Recon, Pararescue, and so on...

Some of their more paramilitary actions are better understood through their actions in the Aghanistan/Iraq theaters of the War on Terror before it was even waged...Shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, SAD/SOG and Special Forces entered into Afghanistan to recruit local support and lead a pre-war resistance against the Taliban, of which the now-President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai participated in...Before the invasion of Iraq, elements of the SAD/SOG, Delta Force, SEAL Team Six, and Special Forces entered beforehand to sabotage enemy communications and weapons depots and lead the laser-guided airstrikes of Shock & Awe...

Yes, the CIA does invest in the most part with intelligence, but that doesn't mean they can't get down and dirty in the shit...

I don't have the time to watch all of that demo since I got shit to do today, but from what I did skim through in the first few minutes of the video, I like what I see...New tech; Rifle-mounted HUD? Wow...Pistol/combat knife combo? Deadly...

Captain MacTavish? Wow, he's certainly grown up from the humble Sergeant he once was...