AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 5 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 27.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 32.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.50%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-06, 17:28   Link #81
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Heh. This new opening shows once again the reason why I avoid anime openings like the plague until they change. Talk about spoilers.

I'm a bit surprised people are actually grumbling about this, isn't it common knowledge that the openings of virtually any anime are riddled with spoilers?

That said this was a great episode. A lot of emotional baggage got thrown on the squad, since the blood of the Darcsens is technically on their hands. Curious to see how they'll deal with it.

I do not, however, agree with the sentiment that idealism must be abandoned on the battlefield. While I do agree that sometimes tough decisions have to be made, and I do agree that Faldio's decision in this case was the best one, there is nothing wrong with working to minimize the civilian casualties.

For example, just yesterday I was watching a WWII documentary about the sabotaging of a German facility where they were producing heavy water for an atomic bomb. At one point they decided that sabotaging the facility was too risky, so they had to bomb it. They timed the bombing to coincide with the civilian workers lunchbreak (which was held in the underground bunker) to minimize casualties. In the end, a number of civilians did die, but it was a low number (five, from the top of my head) where it could have run in the dozens.

A small thing, and yet it saved so many lives. If that is idealism then call me an idealist.
It's just as simple word: rule of engagement and geneva convention.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:34   Link #82
Boduar

Um am I the only one who since the episode where Selvana and Alicia were both activating shit in the ruin thought that they were both descendents with powers ... WTF? OP did not surprise me at all or maybe im just dense and missed something else I generally dont pay much attention to the OP.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:43   Link #83
typhonsentra

This one was surprisingly well directed. Most episodes before this nothing of consequence ever happened to Team 7 during battle. Seeing them get hurt by something like this was surprising too.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:51   Link #84
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
Um am I the only one who since the episode where Selvana and Alicia were both activating shit in the ruin thought that they were both descendents with powers ... WTF? OP did not surprise me at all or maybe im just dense and missed something else I generally dont pay much attention to the OP.
Yea, the show made it slightly more obvious at that scene.
Spoiler for In Game for that Barious Ruins Scene:

Completely agree with whoever said the new OP looked a lot like Yasuomi Umetsu. I even went to ANN to see if he had any credits for the OP cause the designs almost screemed "Umetsu". Anyone know the people behind the new OP animation?

Best episode of the series btw. Really showed the comparisons between Faldio and Welkin on the battlefield. Shows Welkin as the slightly more idealistic, but still knowing what has to be done, even if it's the last thing that he wants to do. And shows Faldio as the man more willing to make those quick decisions to sacrifice for the "greater good" so to speak. Which is better in war time? Hard decision, but I know I wouldn't ever want to be in either position.
Old 2009-07-06, 17:57   Link #85
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The one thing that bugs me about the second OP is how much it's focused on Alicia. Sure she's a great character and all, though this opening makes it look like she's the main character and that's it. Welkin has like two one second each scenes.
Old 2009-07-06, 18:29   Link #86
kalbron

Not to mention the silliness with the run and gun along the rooftops.

Alicia Rush! makes sense in a game context, not so much an anime.
Old 2009-07-06, 18:47   Link #87
servidor

Does anyone know if the OP was directed/story boarded by Mr. Yasuomi Umetsu? It seems similar to me to his art style.
Old 2009-07-06, 18:56   Link #88
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
Best episode of the series btw. Really showed the comparisons between Faldio and Welkin on the battlefield. Shows Welkin as the slightly more idealistic, but still knowing what has to be done, even if it's the last thing that he wants to do. And shows Faldio as the man more willing to make those quick decisions to sacrifice for the "greater good" so to speak. Which is better in war time? Hard decision, but I know I wouldn't ever want to be in either position.
What Faldio did was making the easiest decision with the higher civilian casualty. Risking lives only to solve a problem faster... well not really my part to say it was a good decision because it was the opposite. It does not make him better than Damon or Gregor.
Old 2009-07-06, 18:59   Link #89
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

From one point of view, Gallia is a small nation. Hence, greater civilian deaths would affect the country's overall ability to defend itself. It's pretty clear that the country is approaching what the layman would call "total war". (I swear that if a military history prof at my university reads this, he'll rip into me faster than you can say "Patton".)
Old 2009-07-06, 19:15   Link #90
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
It's just as simple word: rule of engagement and geneva convention.
That was one of the first things I thought about when I watched that late part of the episode. I wondered if they had the Geneva Convention. lol

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-06, 19:20   Link #91
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, they may have it, but with another name.
Old 2009-07-06, 19:45   Link #92
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
What Faldio did was making the easiest decision with the higher civilian casualty. Risking lives only to solve a problem faster... well not really my part to say it was a good decision because it was the opposite. It does not make him better than Damon or Gregor.
Speed was the key. Had he hesitated any more they all would have died.
Old 2009-07-06, 20:06   Link #93
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
So exactly what would be the other decision?

Alicia already noted the alternatives but Welkin already knows that none of them are good because they'd all end up dead in the end. Welkin knew they only had one course of action but he didn't want to call it. When Faldio called it did Welkin object? No because he knew that was the only way.

The only hardest decision would be to surrender but then that pretty much destroys the entire operation that they worked hard for and condemns the Darscens anyways.

By all means fellows, please describe this other decision that would've saved everyone. This is war, you can't expect things to go smoothly and this is EXACTLY what Largo stated prior to the mission and they stated that the train was to be taken out no matter what and that the rescue of the civilians was considered lower priority and as a decoy.

Quote:
That was one of the first things I thought about when I watched that late part of the episode. I wondered if they had the Geneva Convention. lol
They do,

Spoiler:

But the thing here is that these are Darcsens which is an entirely different matter.

Quote:
For example, just yesterday I was watching a WWII documentary about the sabotaging of a German facility where they were producing heavy water for an atomic bomb. At one point they decided that sabotaging the facility was too risky, so they had to bomb it. They timed the bombing to coincide with the civilian workers lunchbreak (which was held in the underground bunker) to minimize casualties. In the end, a number of civilians did die, but it was a low number (five, from the top of my head) where it could have run in the dozens.
That's complete BS and means nothing.

The allies didn't had a giant cannon high above them pinpointing their location while they were figuring out their plan.

Each and every situation is different, you can't treat them all the same.

Quote:
A small thing, and yet it saved so many lives. If that is idealism then call me an idealist.
Idealism means noble which would have everything work out perfectly. Ideally you'd shoot for 0 casualities.

You can never expect a military operation to go smoothly. Idealism in Valkyria would be where the explosives would've taken out the tank in one shot. Instead it didn't, that's when the mission went fubar.

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2009-07-06 at 20:21.
Old 2009-07-06, 20:10   Link #94
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

At least, Max has the brains not to alienate the Gallians too much. Against the Darcsens, on the other hand....
Old 2009-07-06, 20:39   Link #95
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Okei is it me or is Welkin starting too become aware of his crush on Alice? By giving few mean looks on Faldo?
Old 2009-07-06, 21:04   Link #96
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

actually, in the game, you see Selvaria glow blue inside the ruins, and you see Alicia fall over and open the door by accident.
Old 2009-07-06, 21:28   Link #97
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Spoiler:

But the thing here is that these are Darcsens which is an entirely different matter.
I'm not sure that really proves that they have a version of the Geneva Convention. It just proves that they hate Darcsens.

Old 2009-07-06, 21:41   Link #98
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
When Rosie said "I won't forgive you", was she referring to the Darcsens or the Imperial Army?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
At the end? Imperial Army.
I think she was referring to the Darcsens because she said "I still won't forgive you" so yeah.
Old 2009-07-06, 21:43   Link #99
Runty

Wow, who woulda thought this episode would generate so much controversy? Well, this and the bit in Episode 12 where Welkin shot one of the kidnappers.

I think this phrase could adequately work for both situations: "When in doubt, win the war."

This could be applied to Welkin and Faldio's controversial decisions.
Old 2009-07-06, 22:23   Link #100
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think she was referring to the Darcsens because she said "I still won't forgive you" so yeah.
Unless Gleam mistranslated I wouldn't see why she would be referring to the Darcsens.

Okay, I take that back. I can. But with what that scene shows it seems much more likely that she's referring to the Imps.

Closed Thread