AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-14, 19:09   Link #401
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Technically speaking, don't these extra loops of Endless Eight count as anime-original episodes?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-14, 19:15   Link #402
mitsuganae

Heh. You got me good there.

I suppose now that Disappearance is out of the question, I'm wondering whether there will be anything else other than Sighs. Again, it's just my curiosity speaking.
Old 2009-07-14, 19:17   Link #403
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

There was that rumor that we're getting another Mikuru's Adventure, if that counts for anything...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-07-14, 19:23   Link #404
mitsuganae

Did that rumor mean an actual Mikuru-centric arc/episode, or a sequel to the SOS-dan's film?

After some thought, I actually wouldn't mind either. She's not my favorite character, but I do feel she's somewhat underdeveloped (despite having a temporal variant), so I wouldn't mind having more meat on her bones (uhm, you know what I mean).
Old 2009-07-14, 19:26   Link #405
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's not the DVD numberings are exactly official yet. It'd mean we'd be getting like 6 episodes of Sighs, which doesn't really deserve it, I feel.

In any case, a sequel to Episode 00... wouldn't that be The Revenge of Yuki Nagato Episode 00? And wouldn't that logically take place AFTER Vol. 10?

As awesome as it would be to see that, this is why you don't put stock in rumors.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:13   Link #406
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sigh is generally considered to be the shittiest story in all of Haruhi.

Best season ever, huh?
Come on Sigh was not that bad. Unfortunately (for me) the worse and I think up to volume four the only story that I skipped was E8.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:17   Link #407
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Come on Sigh was not that bad. Unfortunately (for me) the worse and I think up to volume four the only story that I skipped was E8.
E8 was one of my favorites before the anime ruined it. I LOVED how he solved it.

Unfortunately not many other people here seem to.

And yes, Sigh is bad. Everyone is ridiculously OOC compared to all later books and Haruhi is at her absolute worst.

Also Episode 00 pretty much covered all of Sigh's really important bits. That's how little real content there is to that story.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:25   Link #408
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And yes, Sigh is bad. Everyone is ridiculously OOC compared to all later books and Haruhi is at her absolute worst.
They developed

An anime original episode would be excuse to shorten Sighs [further than just Endless Eight has/will/is]. So I'm going to root for it. No matter what it ends up being. And no, I don't count Endless Eight.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:40   Link #409
mitsuganae

Sighs can be made more interesting if they, for example, tell the story somewhat differently from the novel. Maybe they can have some or all of the story told in the manner of a "making of" special that one usually finds in DVD extras (with hints of "reality TV" etc.). Or they can frame the story as Kyon and Itsuki recalling the horrors of making the film over a game of chess.

I'm just spitballing...
Old 2009-07-14, 20:51   Link #410
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That still won't make everyone look any less stupid. Honestly, the only plot-important parts of Sighs are Koizumi's conjectures about Mikuru, and as I recall the official manga made a story about just that. (It's also one of my favorite Haruhi stories.)

Why not animate that instead and save us the trouble of sitting through content we've seen before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
They developed
Even compared to Melancholy.

If you can't tell I really don't like that story as much as I used to.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:57   Link #411
mitsuganae

I'm not terribly fond of Sighs either, but I do think how one tells a story can be just as important as the story itself. And there's always a chance that the animated version of Sighs will tone down some of its over-the-top aspects.
Old 2009-07-14, 23:17   Link #412
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is also the chance they will surprise us and not do Sighs at all. It is not like they can't surprise us now that they've looped Endless Eight four times.
Old 2009-07-14, 23:26   Link #413
mitsuganae

Yeah, that would be an interesting move. It's no wonder they don't do episode previews (assuming the stuff circulating on the web is an accurate representation of what material is actually broadcast).
Old 2009-07-14, 23:57   Link #414
cybermirage

Okay, so I'm looking at the list of supposed numbers for the dvd releases here.

Most of the numbers follow a pattern of x/7, which makes sense considering there are 7 dvds listed that appear to contain the supposed 13 episodes that would fall in that "time period."

The problem is, they don't all follow that pattern.

The last number is .999999, which I'm going to accept as a substitute for "1" because someone didn't really realize that they should be using x/8. (besides, long decimals add to the "WTF!?" factor)

However the second listed decimal, .230769, doesn't fall into this pattern. It seems to be replacing 6/7, or .857143, but I can't figure out why they would do this. The number doesn't even represent the halfway point between the two decimals it is placed between. As far as I can tell, it's 3/13, which makes little to no sense.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 2009-07-15, 08:56   Link #415
M.Marangio

Episode 15

The japanese episode 13 14 15, Endless Eight (II III IV), is available from Kadokawa's YouTube channel.

The next episode will air tomorrow in 26 hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermirage View Post
Okay, so I'm looking at the list of supposed numbers for the dvd releases here. [...] Any thoughts on this?
DVD 6 (Live a Live, Day of Sagittarius III) takes place in November. The last DVD (5.99999) should cover events right before the school festival (editing of the movie, perhaps a new version of the movie).
Old 2009-07-15, 14:16   Link #416
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Sighs ends at the beginning of Live Alive. In fact, I think they even used content from the epilogue of Sighs for the anime's Live Alive.
Old 2009-07-16, 00:29   Link #417
xellos2099

Man, if they are not doing disappearance, then why the hell all the add. with disappearance in newtype months before?
Old 2009-07-16, 00:48   Link #418
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Three possibilities:
1: They wanted to make people mad.
2: No one would've watched the "re-airing" if they didn't.
3: They intend on making a Haruhi movie, and decided Disappearance would be a good story to use.

Chances are, it's one of the first two.
Old 2009-07-16, 00:57   Link #419
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Three possibilities:
1: They wanted to make people mad.
2: No one would've watched the "re-airing" if they didn't.
3: They intend on making a Haruhi movie, and decided Disappearance would be a good story to use.

Chances are, it's one of the first two.
wasn't Haruhi Movie announced last year 2008 on Newtype.

Rumors say that Kyoani decided to make Disappearance into a movie.

Kyoto Animation and Production I.G would do the movie.
Old 2009-07-16, 01:09   Link #420
Eak
One angry cloud.

Hmm.. never thought about the possibility of Disappearance being a movie... that would be a good idea (seeing as how it's unlikely they will get to in S2)
Closed Thread

Tags
kadokawa, science fiction, shounen