AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-03-28, 18:11   Link #201
klowny
OH NO

i thought that commercial was funny

i have never met a person who hated anime but i know someone that dislike's it but we're cool
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 20:47   Link #202
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

That... commercial....

I was actually hoping the vendor was going to yell at them for being too loud in a public restaurant.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 22:26   Link #203
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

I understand the sakuracon commercial is casted by some voice actors who look nothing like the way theyre presented in the commercial.

I post on somethingawful.com forums, and have found that people there generally dislike anime because they, again, see it as for 4channers or creeps. I dont bother arguing with them, because theyve taken a point of view thats probably not worth arguing about on the internet
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:11   Link #204
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
ANN's "chicks" have an interesting discussion of the rather offensive commercial being aired for Sakuracon. If people in the industry are portraying anime fans in this manner, what might people who know nothing about anime think of us?
that commercial, lol really it is... there are no words to describe how awful it is and how meme it has become, seriously Girugamesh!!!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:30   Link #205
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiKimmy View Post
One of my ex boyfriends used to say that anime "annoyed him because the way they're animated and look really hurts his eyes" - HOW BLOODY LAME IS THAT!!!
Good thing he is an ''ex'' then jk

I don't have a lot of friends over at my place but the ones that I know, none love anime and games based on anime. It's too childish and ''girly'' for them. Afterwards they start looking down on you thinking like ''What can I possibly talk with this guy, he watches some cartoons with huge eyes and even worse, the voices are in Japanese, who likes those people anyway?'' - sadly there are a lot of racists in my country and they just don't care even if I tried to explain. They just don't get the idea that anime is made by people far older then myself.

Everyone has their tastes and opinions, you can't fight over it, especially when other side doesn't want to hear about it. You keep doing what you like and they can do whatever they want, end of story.
Old 2009-03-29, 18:04   Link #206
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
that commercial, lol really it is... there are no words to describe how awful it is and how meme it has become, seriously Girugamesh!!!
no offense, i just hate japaloo, not everyone... but the ones super annoying ones like the commercial.

inserting japanese into their own language, think everything from japan are "super awesome" like something just because it is from Japan.

just like those Mac Fanboys.... they know nothing about computer, but they know everything about why Mac is "Superior" than PC... When you ask them why, all they can answer is "it can do this really cool looking window thing, and it is more secure than windows"

my answer, LEARN TO USE LINUX... oh wait, linux is not maid by apple..... ohhh.....

sorry about the rant... I am done
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 21:28   Link #207
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For someone who grew up watching movies of Americans fighting "Japs" and "Nips" in places like Guadalcanal and Bataan, it's truly remarkable to see young Americans shouting "I love Japen" and essentially "I love everything that is Japanese." The transformation in mindset in just a generation or two is truly remarkable. I had friends growing up whose fathers served on American naval vessels that were dive-bombed by kamikaze pilots. For us, the Japanese seemed not only strange but truly fanatical and deadly. Now I watch anime on my Sony TV and play games on my PS3. I don't drive a Japanese car any more though; now I have a VW .
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 22:12   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, when I was dating my sansei wife in 1975, her cousins were still getting into fights for some twit calling them a "dirty Jap"... japanese products were still considered "junky" or low-budget... I had relatives telling me they heard "japanese make good wives" when they'd see her (obviously totally unaware of her personality ).

So yeah... things have changed dramatically ... and in some places less so
Old 2009-03-30, 18:58   Link #209
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, when I was dating my sansei wife in 1975, her cousins were still getting into fights for some twit calling them a "dirty Jap"... japanese products were still considered "junky" or low-budget... I had relatives telling me they heard "japanese make good wives" when they'd see her (obviously totally unaware of her personality ).

So yeah... things have changed dramatically ... and in some places less so
I still have to deal with slurs against my wife when I go home to Ohio
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 22:23   Link #210
anselfir
Style Über Alles

animu as a whole is just very much tainted/defined by frankly abominable cultural dredgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58a0pcI6bYo

for so called mainstream shows too, a large portion of them are trash. only the inexperience and innocence of viewers prevent them from recognizing this.
Old 2009-03-31, 09:07   Link #211
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Every medium has its share of trash. I usually find fewer than 10% of the works in any popular medium not trash in some sense. Most movies and television programs these days are trash, too, as are most popular novels, videogames, etc., etc. Some "trash" is fun and rewarding; most isn't worth my time.

Yet your argument about inexperience applies somewhat to me. I've been following anime actively for perhaps four years. I've gone from watching 4-8 series a season to half that. I think that trend has much to do with what's on offer these days compared to, say, 2006-2007 which had a number of shows for "mature" viewers like Bartender, Hataraki Man, or Welcome to the NHK!. There seem to be fewer such shows released today. I don't know whether that's the reality or that I've grown somewhat sated by the anime experience. (I have argued elsewhere here that economic distress forces a retrenchment to tried-and-true formulas; I think we've seen that happen in anime.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 07:51   Link #212
Fate21
Kiyu~

I don't hate anime but sometimes i think it's scary if you're too maniac X)
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 08:39   Link #213
RockD
's Most Ignored

i don`t know even now. there were this many group that hates anime that much...
it`s making my heart in "rage" mode.
RockD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 09:00   Link #214
Oppius
Banned

I'm not sure this one counted but I saw a commercial of a Malaysian first 3D animated series, Upin & Ipin and they also said "Stop watching those pathetic Japanese cartoons!". I have no idea what did they mean but if they want to succeed, bashing foreign cartoons is not the correct way.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 12:49   Link #215
RockD
's Most Ignored

@Amex_Yohko
eh!? that series did? I know that series because i`m living in Indonesia. And that series got aired in my country too(and it was quite popular especially to my little brother).
I never thought they would done a pathetic- horrible move like that.
(and makes my "rage" mode maxed)
RockD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 13:09   Link #216
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I have yet to confront an anime hater....ignorant people,yes, but haters?! NEVUUUUUH :O
It's not that odd though, people got better things to hate here. Personally, I love anime with a passion, especially the well-made ones that make me think the rest I've watched were sub-par. Literature is good but books just don't last long enough, while anime come out every week for quite a long time.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 13:10   Link #217
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I've met some of these people, mostly in anime forums, clubs, IRC channels, and other anime communities. These elitists claim that once you've watched "good anime," you won't enjoy any other anime and hate all most new ones. I despise these anime haters more than the regular kind.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 13:19   Link #218
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I don't think they really hate anime, they just can't understand its meaning and stick to the ones that were easier for them to enjoy...after all, they still watch the good ones, no?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 16:21   Link #219
Starlight

Well...some girls in my class were making fun of me reading a Fullmetal Alchemist manga during a free period. They started turning everything the characters were saying into something sexual. It was funny at first, but I was damn pissed after a while when they wouldn't stop.
One of them couldn't even pronounce the title Fullmetal Alchemist properly.
It's plain ignorance, and stereotyping anything anime or manga to be sex orientated.

I think many judge anime, then don't want to know or have anything to do with it, they poke fun at anime fans and imply that they're not normal. It's rather frustating.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 22:08   Link #220
otakujohn

To toss in my two cents, First, I don't really get a lot of flak from people who hate anime. It helps that I work in a technology company with people that have a very similar mindset and tastes that align with my own.

Secondly, even though I enjoy anime, games, manga and the like, I also know when to turn down my power level. When I am out with friends that don't necessarily know that much about anime, I'd rather focus on other topics that mutually interest us. There's a time and a place to discuss anime fandom, but some people don't seem to understand that. If anything gives anime fandom a bad name, it's fans that have no tact and don't know when to a.) shut up, or b.) calm down.

Every time I see a youtube video of someone doing something really idiotic in the name of fandom, it makes my back twist around. Case in point: that god-awful Sakuracon commercial with the "girugamesh" guy. Why did they think that was a good idea? It was freaking horrible!
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote