Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 04:13   Link #281
White Lady
Dryad of death

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to White Lady
I am a geek. X-D I am aiming for a job in the computer field.Not sure what yet.Though I would love to design games.(drool)
White Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 06:49   Link #282
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
I'm currently a Biochemistry & Molecular Biology/Mathematics major at an undergraduate university looking to enter a Ph.D-M.D. program at a medical school in order to become a biomedical scientist. However, I just looked at the salary/year between a neurosurgeon (or even a radiologist) and a biomedical scientist:

Biomedical Scientist: $50,000
Surgeon: $500,000

I was always a believer of passion over money, but I'm beginning to lean towards surgery.

What are the work hours of a surgeon? Can surgeons perform surgeries some days and research medicine other days? I'm not too sure how busy surgeons are. I've always wanted to find cures for diseases rather than applying already known cures on people.

I have a very fantasized future in my mind. Currently I want to become a surgeon who researches medicine in his spare time. Then when I'm in my older days, I plan to become a professor while researching some more and learning a bit more about my own field. Is this kind of lifestyle even possible?

Very lost college student...
This post is from quite a while ago, but I just wanted to add a few things.

First, it's very dangerous to simply look at a job for its salary and educational prerequisites alone. There are occupational hazards that one must be aware of, and surgeons carry a lot of potential stress-related issues. Just watch the show Scrubs and you'll have a watered down version of it. :P You may be paid a lot, but do you really plan to practice holding a scalpel to people's living bodies? I wouldn't be able to handle it, but hey, that's me. XD If you want the pay but not so much the responsibility for the life of a patient, you may want to consider being a pediatrician. That's what I've been told at the least.

I just finished my first year as an undergraduate at university, working toward my double major in psychology and philosophy. I figured I'd study two of the most important things to me: the human mind and the way in which we apply/understand the mind.

What am I going to do with these two degrees? I don't know. My dream would be to write something some day. Something that can teach someone somewhere in the world something about life that they can take and use, whether as food for thought or words to change their lives. This can be a book (most likely a novel), a screenplay, or even the storyline for a video game. Hell, I'm dead set on becoming capable of writing in Japanese one day to achieve this. Maybe publish a light novel or become an influential game creator like Maeda Jun from KEY.

I think it's just far too difficult to try and aim for a specific career somewhere. That doesn't mean you can't set goals to try and find a job related to that field, but you never know what will hit you coming down the read. You may be caught in an accident, or a sudden downturn in the economy may leave you working at McDonalds. I have a list of goals I want to obtain, and how those goals eventually lead me to where I want to go is left up to the future me. I suppose I'll just continue along as I have and enjoy things for now.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:01   Link #283
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Ideal career would be something to do with game design, but that's a long way off if it ever happens. My most realistic goal is to try to get a job doing some kind of menial programming work, probably doing scrap code while the real programmers do the important stuff. After five or ten years I might finally have worked my way up to programming something interesting.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:02   Link #284
qwertyuiopz

job is for noobs

im going to win the lottery
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 17:08   Link #285
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

I'm a teacher already ^^
Old 2009-07-21, 17:21   Link #286
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Teacher and watching anime - does that match well?
Can hardly imagine it. In which kind of school are you teaching?

I will get to indoor service/ bank clerk ... something like that.
Old 2009-07-21, 17:46   Link #287
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
Teacher and watching anime - does that match well?
Can hardly imagine it. In which kind of school are you teaching?

I will get to indoor service/ bank clerk ... something like that.
Onizuka from the anime GTO.. He watch animes, play videogames and he's a teacher
Old 2009-07-21, 18:03   Link #288
Kitsu
The unlucky one

We have a teacher that plays WoW (and other stuff), GTA etc.
I aimed for the teacher career but I've become pretty unsure after teaching for 2 week at an elimentary school. (an wok experience project at our school). I don't really know what I want to become later on.
Old 2009-07-21, 18:13   Link #289
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
We have a teacher that plays WoW (and other stuff), GTA etc.
I aimed for the teacher career but I've become pretty unsure after teaching for 2 week at an elimentary school. (an wok experience project at our school). I don't really know what I want to become later on.
A WoW-addicted teacher. Sounds quite "interesting" to me. xD
Old 2009-07-21, 18:31   Link #290
Kitsu
The unlucky one

It's totally funny, especially when it comes to pre-orders or borrowing games lol
he is a teacher for uhm computer science (Informatik)

Last edited by Kitsu; 2009-07-21 at 19:03.
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 18:51   Link #291
Le Zeep
lazy cartoonist

When I grow up I wanna be THE BATMAN

Naw I want to either be a film maker or an anthropologist, I'm not sure which anthropology field I wan to specialize in yet. Probably physical anth. or maybe cultural.
Le Zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 19:14   Link #292
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Well, I want to be a meteorologist of some form, though I don't really want to be stuck in a studio doing the local weather. But, that's probably what is going to end up happening.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 20:35   Link #293
LeoXiao
思想工作

I would like to learn about Chinese/east asian history and language and get some job with that, but it's more likely that I'll be a translator instead.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 20:45   Link #294
NettoSaito
Black Knight

Send a message via MSN to NettoSaito
I'd like to go into the drafting field. I really liked it in high school so I figured why not try it. I used to always like building stuff so yeah....
NettoSaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 21:29   Link #295
masterkitfisto
king of the black otaku!

i like my job....the hours are long and gets very hot very fast but i like music & people so it kinda fits..(iam Dj by the way and i sometimes do opera then again that not really a job..)
masterkitfisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 18:21   Link #296
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
When I graduate from high school, I'm going to pursue a career in Architecture. I've already taken a few courses on it in my school already.
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 21:29   Link #297
otakujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Visual Whatever programmers are a dime a dozen and most departments are always scaling down and making the poor slobs do more with less people.
Java programmers can get work ... but its getting really tough for new programmers entering the field -- everyone wants "five years experience" and no one is willing to hire to train. One company that a few of my friends work at only employs people with at least 10 years of experience in C++/Java - period. They also expect them to be conversant in half a dozen other languages ranging from assembly to bash to perl/python.
The whole system that existed in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s where corporations would hire new programmers (and engineers) and buy into the OTJ training they needed seems to be collapsing in the unsustainable race for short-term profit.

This man speaks the truth.
The company I work for is a really good example of the general rule in terms of requirements. Every now and then we will hire an intern fresh out of school into product development organization, but it's a really rare occurrence. We also demand that all developers know C++, Perl, and Python like the back of their hand because even though our software is written in C++, all of our automated testing for hardware and software is written in Python.

It's worth trying to get into the field though, especially for a cool networking company like F5. The pay is awfully nice too. I'm only a Software Test Engineer II, and I'm just a couple tens away from 100k/yr.

There's only one downside to working in the technology field, and that's the lack of women. We need more attractive young women in the computer sciences! F5's product development and support organizations are 99% men.... It's awfully depressing.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 08:47   Link #298
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
ADF Infantry Officer and hopefully advance into the SASR and work my way up to having my own platoon if not part of the command structure.

However I'll be sure to volunteer for any testing of any AS or VF-esque systems in development. ;D

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 18:29   Link #299
~Rio~
Formula of Madness

I'm gonna join the army when I turn 18.
~Rio~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 08:35   Link #300
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I want to be an English language teacher in a foreign country, I am going to study hard!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote